A Princess With Unrealistic Dream

She's My Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eclipses happen when the earth, the moon and the sun are forming a straight line, obscuring the light from either the sun or the moon. They’re also aligning with two astrologically significant points on the ecliptic called the north and south nodes, which are also referred to as the “Nodes of Fate.” These points correspond to matters of destiny, karma, and spiritual purpose.

It brings fast-paced shifts, shocking revelations, sudden endings, and swift new beginnings to people’s lives. The events that seem to coincide with these unpredictable lunations can be chaotic and intense. But in spite of that, eclipses also serve as important cosmic interventions and connect them with their spiritual destinies. The shifts that occur during eclipse are believed to be a fated nature; meaning, everything happens for a reason and everyone already has their own fates set for them. For once in blue moon, the power of the eclipses allow the shift to happen to certain people without constraining the time and space.

When such thing happens, the universe is listening to desperate wish of souls that tied by a string of fate and help them align with their true paths. The time for rapid change has come to their lives and the sudden shift will bring either greatness or chaos, depends on their decision and choices.

 

 

 

[Goryeo, 1215]

The nation just lost its' leader, the wise and noble King, Kim Ryuseol in the war. They mourned for days and nights and the royal family held the funeral ceremony in the palace. The king had 2 queens and 1 concubine. From them, 3 beautiful princesses and 2 handsome princes were born. Because the eldest child was a girl and the princes were only 8 and 5 years old, the king's first wife and older queen, Choi Miran stepped up and declared herself as the Queen Regent. She should rule the nation until her second child, the first prince came of age and ready to take the throne.

All of the king's children were loved and adored by the royal family except 1, the youngest princess and the 4th child, the one whose mother was a concubine. Yongsun lost her mother during labor and was raised by maids in the palace. Thankfully, the king treated her right and the father loved her but sadly it didn't last long due his duty to lead the soldiers during the war.

After the king's death, at the age of 7, the young princess had to learn many things with her older half-sisters such as art, literature, poetry, traditional dance and music. Their teacher discovered her talent in singing and playing the musical instrument with strings, gayageum.

When she turned 15, she mastered every songs in the book the teacher gave them and the sisters grew hatred and jealous of her. They often pushed her around and treated her like their servant. As the youngest among the three, she couldn't refuse and the king's second wife, Queen Consort Lee Hongra always watching her movements like a hawk.

 

The young princess tried to report her half-sisters to the Queen Regent but instead, she was told the story of how the king fell in love with her mother. King Ryuseol saw a commoner and female entertainer with the name Yongjin  during a festival and instantly fell in love. He took her in to the palace and made her as his concubine. The king confessed that Yongjin was the only woman he truly loved, because the previous marriages were only for political purpose. Therefore, the queens were jealous of the concubine and even poisoned Yongjin secretly before she gave birth to Yongsun in a hope both mother and daughter would perish from this earth but miraculously, the baby survived.

Growing up, Yongsun blamed herself for being born and the shocking revelation behind her mother's death made her resent the royal family. The Queen Regent also said the young princess deserved all the mistreatment she got and even laughed at her misery. She couldn't even shed a tear due to the shock and she swore that she would do anything to get herself away from them. She only had a pet turtle and a young maid named Moojoo as friends. With the maid, Yongsun always sneaked out to explore outside the palace and shared their mutual love of watching the sunset.

Yongsun also found a hobby she actually loved. Knowing her mother was an entertainer, she went to tavern and talked to the owner if she could perform there for free with Moojoo's help. Because she barely seen with the royal family, nobody noticed or knew she's a princess and she posed herself as a young musician. 

The young princess went to there every Friday night to sing with her gayageum, many people gathered at the tavern and they all loved her. The tavern's owner even allowed her and the maid to have meals there as a bonus because her lovely performances attracted more customers. 

 

One day, the princess and the maid sneaked out to the market to buy candies. Yongsun was in a good mood and she told her friend, "Moojoo-ah, I think I can perform at the tavern for a long time."

"But Princess, what if the royal family find out?"

"You should keep it a secret. It's always been my dream to be just like my mother. Captivating many people with my talents. I just love the feeling when I perform. It's like I'm the happiest person in the nation!" Yongsun was twirling and dancing in the middle of market. 

"You are so silly!" Moojoo laughed and watching her friend with adoration, "Don't worry, I will help you."

In the middle of her dance, suddenly an old woman with white hair caught the princess' arm, "You..."

Yongsun stopped dancing, "Excuse me?"

While Moojoo got protective of the older girl and stood in front of the princess, "Hands off! Do you know who she is? She's the princess of the nation!"

"Princess..." The old woman squinted her eyes and said in raspy voice, "Hmm... Different kind of princess... You feel like you don't belong here. You're suffering because of your family, isn't it?"

Yongsun found the woman was strange but she felt like she's drawn to her, "How do you know? Are you a shaman?"

"I'm a nobody," The old woman replied, "You've been longing for a change, desperate for freedom and being acknowledged. You have an unrealistic dream, at least for this place. If you stay here, you will be stuck as your family's plaything and suffer for long years."

"What are you saying?"

The woman didn't answer, instead she said, "A new name, a new place, a new life. You will be able to achieve your dream but there's always a price."

The girls thought the woman was talking nonsense so Yongsun pulled her hand away and heading to the candy stall..

"Young lady!" The old woman shouted at the princess, "A dagger will stab right through your heart. Be careful with people around you!"

Yongsun paused in the middle of the market, she felt the sentence was like a premonition. When she turned back to ask what it meant, the old woman already disappeared.

 

It was the time to celebrate thanksiving (chuseok), a full harvest moon appeared in the sky and families gathered to enjoy time together and gave thanks to their ancestors for the plentiful harvest. The women of the family also prepared an ancestral memorial ceremony by filling a table with food including newly harvested rice and fruits.

The royal family had different way to celebrate, they held a party and invited goverment officials with their families. They also opened the palace for commoners to join the celebration as a gesture of the their kindness and the king's children would entertain them with their skills. The princes showed off their archery and swordmanship, the 2 princesses recited poetry and danced. And finally the last princess, Yongsun brought her gayageum to the center stage and she sat down with the musical instrument on her lap.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter