Chapter 15

Save Your Tears.

 

Chapter 15

 

Taeyeon stands in front of the mirror; staring at her own reflection. Jessica is still staying in the ward. She has yet to be discharged since the doctor have decided it is best to let her recover for another few days in a calm, peaceful environment. With the paparazzi swarming outside the hospital’s building, Jessica could not even rest properly without worrying any of those creepy photographers barging inside the ward.

 

Tiffany has been trying to help taking care of Jessica. But due to Yuri’s private clients incoming visitation to the new restaurant, she cannot stay long and often leaves an hour or so. Jessica did not mind though. She understands that Tiffany has always been a hard-worker, in fact she is workaholic. Even her boss is more relax than she is.

 

Although Hyoyeon’s business has been suffering some losses in sales recently, since her best bartender was gone for a while, she did asks Taeyeon to come back for work during the time-being. She wanted her same-aged cousin to take a break, ease her mind again. Besides, she knew Taeyeon has the strong intention to rebuild her bond with Jessica. Except, she is still unaware of Taeyeon’s plan to fulfill a favor from a certain manager.

 

It was during the night of the incident, Seulgi had asked Taeyeon to take Jessica to be under her care while she is healing from those injuries. It is to be expected that with Jessica’s family is still in the States, the company would be responsible in caring for her during the recovery period. However, Seulgi is not convinced that Jessica will be well-protected under their watch.

 

She had her suspicion at first; Summer was the one being responsible for the ‘accident.’ But she has no evidences. But she knew for sure that the arrogant idol was certainly involved afterwards. When she went back to the entertainment’s building to get CCTV footage of the incident, the security simply said the boss had ordered him to gave the recorded video to him. He did not dare to ask the reason though.

 

 

“I’ll handle everything.” Those were her last words when she called Taeyeon a few days ago. She has not heard from the manager since then. But she hopes that things will go-on smoothly.

 

“I look weird.” Taeyeon shut her eyes, contemplating her decision.

 

It was this morning. She went for breakfast at Sunny’s cafe after staying the whole night in the ward. Well, she did not sleep much, that was for sure. Not when her body could not stopped shivering from the ward’s cold temperatures. She was amazed though, that Jessica was able to sleep throughout the night; even when the nurses came inside to check-up on her several times, she was not bothered at all.

 

She was as dead as the an old tree bark.

 

Anyways, Tiffany came by early that morning to sneak-in some food for Jessica. Poor woman has been eating bland cooked-meals three times a day. So, she had personally asked Yuri to prepared a few dishes. She had complete her preparation tasks for the VIP’s visit and her over-friendly boss gave a day off. So, she has decided to help take care of Jessica. She had told Taeyeon to get a good-rest at home. Jessica had the same idea too.

 

Taeyeon (secretly) wanted to stay. But if she was honest about that, she may comes off as clingy. Although, that might be the case, the Taeyeon would not show that side of hers’. She is much, much older than the two. She cannot let herself to act childishly in front of them. So in the end, she left. Instead of going home, she went to Sunny’s. As usual, she was annoyed by her friend’s fake, cutely persona again. This time, she wore a maid cosplay instead of her normal-clothes-with-apron.

 

“I’ll call the police for this inappropriate behavior.” Taeyeon spoke and took a sip of her usual-coffee mix. She had long lost her appetite when Sunny had winked at her when she serving her croissant.

 

“Ah, the Kim Taeyeon has finally return.” Sunny replied with a tone. Most people would be annoyed at Taeyeon’s words but to her, it was a good sign. Seeing her friend’s sassy side meant she was getting better. “How’s the kid?” She asked. She was referring to Jessica.

 

“Stop calling her a kid.” Taeyeon puts the cup down. Well, as if she did not call Jessica a ‘kiddo’ before. “She’s alright. We’ve been talking a lot. She seems happy…I think.” She felt hesitant.

 

Things went smoothly than expected. Jessica has welcomed her back with open-arms. She was acting her usual self. Nothing really changes with how she was treating her. Taeyeon has a lot in her mind though. The things that happened before between them and what she had done. She was itching to talk about it. But she knew it would be a bad idea, not when they are finally reunited again.

 

Taeyeon understood that she needed to give their bond some-time to be rebuilt. But constantly over-thinking about what will happen to them from now on - with Taeyeon’s true feelings and Jessica’s still unconfirmed claim of love to her too - has been taking a toll on her mental energy. Tiffany’s words weren’t enough to convinced her worries to go away.

 

“You’re still doubting about this.” Sunny was quick to picked-up Taeyeon’s thoughts. Her friend did not really bothered to concealed it from her. “Well, I understand. I mean, you still have feelings for her.”

 

Taeyeon sighed heavily. She would lie to herself if she says that Hyeri was her first love. No, the relationship they had was toxic and mostly involved ual-pleasures instead of love. Even Sunny was only ‘a friend with benefits’ in the past, not truly a ‘girlfriend.’ Jessica is the first ever woman she has decided to open her heart to. What she feels is certainly true love. It sounds cringe but it is the truth.

 

But she is not the same as Tiffany. She is not sure whether she can be a friend to Jessica for a long-time. She does want to stay by her side. However, she wondered if she can even stay by being merely as a friend when she knew her feelings towards Jessica are more than that. She cannot even guarantee if she will be able to move on when the times comes. These thoughts has been going through her mind too many times, it made it difficult to look at Jessica sometimes.

 

Taeyeon’s expression turned gloom. Sunny sighed silently. She stood up and picked the croissant in her hand. She shoved half of the pastry into Taeyeon’s mouth; causing her to be taken aback, followed by an irritated frowning. “Acting like this won’t help.” She took out her phone to send an address. Taeyeon felt her own phone vibrating in her pockets. “Go and get a new haircut.”

 

Taeyeon lifted her brow. She was confused why her friend suddenly told her to go cut her already-short hair. Sunny crossed her arms. “It’s Yoona’s new workplace. Instead of sitting in my cafe and looking like a dead cicada, how about get yourself a style-change?” She suggested. Well, there was not really a need for a makeover but it was better than having Taeyeon continuously sitting there, overthinking the same issue repetitively.

 

Taeyeon looked at the address pinned in the map on her phone screen. She has not changed her style for years now. Getting herself a ‘new look’ would get her mind off of things. After finishing her breakfast and her usual short-bickering with Sunny at the cash-register, she went off to go to the address. It was a salon not far away from there. Well, considering Yoona’s very close attachment with Sunny, it was expected that she’d worked at a nearby place as her girlfriend’s cafe.

 

These two would definitely not survived a long-distance relationship without the other one breaking-down.

 

“Welcome.” A staff  behind the counter greeted with a warm smile once Taeyeon walked inside. “Do you have an appointment?” She asked. Taeyeon was about to answer when familiar doe-eyed woman walked to the front with her normal-bright-smile.

 

“Taeyeon! Sunny told me you were coming.” Yoona greeted. The staff quickly bowed at her and turned to Taeyeon. “I apologized. I did not know you’re Ms. Im’s guest.” She bowed again for the second-time for her mistake.

 

“Hey, no worries, you’re still new! Besides, this is her first visit.” Yoona calmed her staff’s nervousness. Taeyeon looked at the younger woman; clearly feeling confused by the whole situation earlier. Yoona has realized that. “Oh, right. Let’s talk inside!” She escorted Taeyeon to the inner part of the shop.

 

The walls were painted with mix of chic black and white. The seats were made of high-quality, brownish leather. Equipment for hair styling and cutting were neatly organized. The staffs greeted them with polite bows. There were only two customers. But judging for their Gucci hand-bags and diamond encrusted jewelries, these customers are rich. Taeyeon cannot help but baffles at the sight.

 

“I opened the salon just a week ago after quitting my father’s company.” Yoona explained coolly as she escorted Taeyeon to a seat. It just came to a realization that Yoona is actually a rich-man's daughter. Considering the interior designs itself, she had spent money that was beyond Taeyeon’s savings through-out the years. No wonder Sunny managed to get a new coffee machine. She did say it was gift.

 

“I don’t know what hairstyle I want to have.” Taeyeon confessed. Her hair has been short for two years now. The only thing she had changed about her hairstyle was giving it blonde-colored highlights. Yoona hummed as she looked at Taeyeon’s reflection in the mirror. An idea popped inside. “I have just the look for you.” Yoona smiled. Taeyeon looked at her through the mirror. She wondered what did the younger woman had in mind.

 

In present time, Taeyeon is still looking at her new appearance. She is not sure whether she looks good or not. For as long as she can remember, her concept of style has been ‘dark-and-wild.’ Now, here she is; with a straight, long-black hair and wearing clothes that is brighter than her usual color palettes. She keeps trying to adjusted her eyes to the pastel-pink cardigan matched with a white-shirt and light-blue skinny jeans.

 

The only piece of clothing she is willing to accept is the white shirt. But the huge-teddy-bear print in the middle still throws her off. Even her hair that is now without any traces of highlights on it feels weird!

 

You always look like you’re going to a funeral. Here, I’ve bought you new ones. Think of it…as a bonus.” Hyoyeon told her last night when she dropped the shopping-bag at her apartment. Taeyeon wonders if her friends have been planning this. Well, knowing those trio, it could be the case. This ‘style’ suits Jessica though. The thought of hers’ wearing these clothes made Taeyeon blushes. She shook her head. She should not be imagining her in any weird-way if she wants to stay sane enough to not jump to kiss her.

 

Taeyeon checks the time on her phone. It is almost time for her to go. After giving one last glance at herself in the mirror, she picks up her purse on the bed along with her car-keys before heading out. Of course, she also took the bag filled with containers of freshly-cut fruits for Jessica.

 

Taeyeon goes to the elevator where she sees a familiar neighbour nearby. It was Eunha with a taller girl standing in front of her. They seemed to be holding hands? She decides to greet her. “Hey.” Her voice seemed to surprises both of the girls. “O-oh, unnie, it’s you.” Eunha awkwardly chuckled while slowly distancing herself from the unknown girl.

 

“A friend of yours?” Taeyeon asked and turned the tall-girl whom bowed at her politely. She is way mature-looking than Eunha.

 

“T-this is…Sojung! My senior at school.” Eunha introduced the girl named Sojung. Taeyeon smiles at her. Seeing how the two are blushing madly at her presence, she quickly realizes that they are more-than-just-friends.

 

“Taeyeon. I lived next door to Eunha.” She spoke. “Ah, am I interrupting your date?” She purposely asked. Eunha is immediately flustered by the sudden question while Sojung shyly lowers her head. Oh, how adorable. Taeyeon chuckles at the reactions. “It’s fine, I’ve dated girls too.” She honestly said. Her words made them calm down.

 

“I..was just about to go home.” Sojung replied, still feeling embarrassed. Taeyeon nodded. She looks at Eunha and smiles. “You girls look good together.” It made her bop-haired neighbour to smile at the comment. “I have to go now. It was nice meeting you, Sojung.” She said before bowing her head at them. She enters the elevator, giving one last smile at the young-couple before the door closes.

 

The sight of Eunha and her girlfriend made Taeyeon thinks of her love-life again. Well, more specifically, she thought about Jessica. Will there be a chance where they could be together? She highly doubts that. Even when one day, Jessica has retire, she still remains as a known-figure. Taeyeon knows she cannot get her hopes-up. She promised herself she will stay as friends.

 

But she has to admit. She is scared if her feelings will get the best of hers’ someday.

 

**

 

Taeyeon arrived at the floor where Jessica’s ward is located. As she continues to head on, she sees Tiffany standing at the door. She is about to greet her when another woman walks out. She is very familiar. It was Hyeri. Taeyeon is surprise by her sudden appearance. She quickens her steps to approached the two women. “H-Hyeri?” She called with a stuttering voice.

 

Hyeri turns to her. At first, her expression seemed nervous. But she manages to smile anyways. “Hey.” She greeted.

 

“What are you doing here?” Taeyeon asked. She was feeling worried if Hyeri have come to quarrel. However, judging from Tiffany’s calmness, it seems she did nothing of that sorts. She does feel guilty afterwards when she sees how swollen Hyeri’s eyes are.

 

“I…was visiting. I came to Yuri’s restaurant two days ago. I’ve met Tiffany there. She gave me her number.” Hyeri explained. She lowers her head with a quiet sigh. “Can I talk to you…in private?” She asked in a low-voice. Taeyeon looks at Tiffany who only gives a silent nod.

 

“Sure, let’s go somewhere else.” Taeyeon said. She gives the bag to Tiffany before both of them head for the nearby stairs. The place is good enough to have a private conversation.

 

For a short moment, there is only silence between them. Hyeri has something in mind to say and Taeyeon can only wait for her to feel prepare. Considering how things went the last they were together, it was natural that it would be awkward for them both to face each other once again.

 

“You…changed your hair.” Hyeri finally spoke.

 

“Yeah, I got extensions.” Taeyeon replied, trying not to sound stiff. There was another quietness for a minute before Hyeri speaks again.

 

“I…just wanted to apologized…for everything. You were right. What we had wasn’t…love. It was toxic and I failed to realized that.” Hyeri straighten her back as she took a deep breath. “I shouldn’t have taken advantages of you. I’m…really sorry.” She apologized once more.

 

Taeyeon looks at her. She can see the sincerity in those eyes. She is truly remorseful of what had happened between them. It was not her fault entirely. Taeyeon took advantages of her feelings too. She used her to move on from a heartbreak instead of loving her. Her lips curved into a smile. “It goes both ways. I’m sorry too, for being such a jerk. Truce?” Taeyeon extended her arm for a hand-shake. Hyeri feels a bit overwhelmed but she shook hands with her anyways.

 

“I have to go.” Hyeri said. Taeyeon nodded. It must have taken a toll on her emotionally just being there for reconciliation. She feels proud of the younger woman. It was really brave of her to come here and personally admitted her wrongdoings. Taeyeon wished she could have say more too about it. But for now, it is enough to get rid of the dark- tension between the former lovers.

 

Hyeri is about to leave but turns back around to say the last thing in her mind. “I talked to Jessica. Now, I know why you’ve chose her.” She smiled at Taeyeon before finally walking away. Taeyeon feels relief that things are well now with Hyeri. At least, the guilt she had inside of her has been lifted away.

 

**

 

Taeyeon comes back to the ward after having a talk with Hyeri. Once again, she sees Tiffany standing at the door. She seems to keep glancing at her wrist-watch. Taeyeon approaches her. “Hey-.” She could not even finishes her greeting since Tiffany quickly holds her on the shoulders. She was taken aback by the gesture.

 

“Good, you’re here. I have to go now. Something happened at the restaurant and Yuri is…” Tiffany seemed to be holding back what Taeyeon suspected to be cussing. Knowing Yuri for years, it seemed she got herself in some-type of a trouble again. Taeyeon simply nods; not needing for further explanation.

 

“Thank you!” Tiffany did not forget to bow before leaving in a hurry with her phone close to her ear. Taeyeon chuckles at the sight. Yuri is in good hands when she has a perfectionist like Tiffany as an assistant. She turns to face the door with her hand on the handle. She wonders how will Jessica reacts upon seeing her ‘new’ appearance.

 

Honestly, Taeyeon forgot about the whole thing earlier when she saw Hyeri. Now, she feels nervous again.

 

With a deep breath, Taeyeon slides the door and enters with only the sound of her heart-beat ringing in her ears. Jessica is sitting on the bed when she came in. The singer lifts her head up to greet with her usual smile but it goes away and replaces with a shock expression. She cannot even call out her name, not when her brown eyes looking at Taeyeon from head to toe.

 

 

“It’s…kinda…embarrassing, huh?” Taeyeon awkwardly spoke. Despite her attempt, she still sounded stiff.

 

 

Jessica shyly looks away for a few seconds before looking at Taeyeon again. “You changed your hair…and…style.” It seems she felt weirdly-embarrassed too.

 

 

“They told me to change my style.” The older one takes a sit next to the bed. Of course, she tries her best not to show how incredibly shy she is right now through her gestures. “They said…this whole change-thing is going to cheer you up.” She chuckled (stiffly).

 

 

“Ah…I see.”

 

 

There is a momentary silence. Both of them could not look at each other without their faces blushing madly by the whole situation. Taeyeon sees the bags she brought earlier from home on the table. “I-I bring fruits with me! I…ehem, I’ve already peeled and cut it…for you.” She clumsily take out the containers. Thankfully, none of those fall on the floor despite her shaky hands.

 

 

Jessica looks at the containers. A smile appears on her face. “Thank you.” Taeyeon looks at her and could not help but to return a smile too. The awkward atmosphere just now has been cleared out from the room. Taeyeon open the containers for Jessica and gives it to her; making sure she holds it well first before letting it go.

 

 

Jessica tries to hold the fork. But she is struggling with getting a firm hold on it. Since she broke her right arm, she has to wear a cast. Her fingers cannot freely move because of that. Taeyeon realizes it so she goes ahead to take the fork and poke a slice of fruit. “Here.” She casually held it up for Jessica.

 

 

Jessica feels a bit hesitant, well, she did got shy by the kind gesture. However, she gladly accepts it. She opens and eats the fruit on the fork; munching it cautiously since her jaw is still in pain. “Slowly. I’ll feed you another one after this.” Taeyeon softly reminded her. Jessica smiles brightly while still munching the fruit. Taeyeon, once more, could not help but to smile again.

 

Weirdly enough, Taeyeon did not ask about what Jessica had talked with Hyeri before. Well, she must have forgotten about it.

 

**

 

Tiffany is driving to the restaurant. Although she is in a hurry, she does not dare to drive over the speed-limit. Suddenly, her phone rings for an incoming call. She presses on the Bluetooth earpiece in her right ear to answer. “Hello?”

 

 

Hey, I’m about to board the plane.” The person from the other line spoke. Instead of speaking Korean, she was speaking in English.

 

 

Ah, okay. Call me when you arrived. I’ll pick you up.” Tiffany replied in the same language. “Safe trip.

 

 

Thanks, see you soon, Tiff.” The call ended. Tiffany focuses on the road again. But her mind could not help but think about the person that is going to arrive here later. She wonders, if Taeyeon will be okay when she meets with this woman. She just hopes that they will get along.

 

To be continued.

 

Hello. I was planning to update before the new years but I've been really busy lately. But I do hope you guys will enjoy reading the latest update. Thank you so much for the new subs and votes. Thank you for the comments too. Please do give me your thoughts about how the story goes so far.