Chapter 2

Save Your Tears.

 

Chapter 2

 

“Jessica! Jessica! Jessica!” The fans chanted as they excitedly waved glowing light sticks in the air. The place was crowded. Everyone was pushing one another to get a closer glimpse on their favorite idol on stage.

 

“We love you!” “Marry me, Jessica!” “You’re beautiful!” “You’re amazing!” So many compliments were thrown by the craze fans. The spotlight flashed on the huge stage and the singer stood there in position. Her hand gripped tightly onto the mic as her eyes looking around the crowd who were cheering for her.

 

She could feel her heart beating anxiously. She tried really hard not to trembled. It was her first solo showcase. She cannot simply mess it up. No way, she worked way too hard to be here. The instrumental music started along with the pre-recorded backup vocals. Jessica took a deep breath and lifted her head up while dancing to the choreography.

 

She held up her mic close to sing the first verse.

 

“You are worthless.” A voice spoke. “Nothing. You are a nobody.”

 

Nobody.

 

Jessica gasped as her eyes shot open. She breathes heavily. It seemed that she had a bad dream earlier. “Oh God…” She held her head. It feels so heavy and her body also feels sore. Since when she has such a bad back pain? She slowly sits down and looks around the place she is in. Wait. She looks around once more; this time a little frantic. Where is she? This isn’t the dorm nor any place she recognized. Whose apartment is this?

 

She looks down to see the blouse she wore last night is no longer there and she is wearing nothing but her undergarments. Her eyes widen as her mind thought of the worst-case scenario; ual harassment. Without a single thought, she lets out a high pitch scream. She heard a few thuds not far away from her. She quickly pulls the blanket close to her body in fear. Help.

 

“W-what happened!?” Taeyeon appeared from the bedroom while panting. “Did something happen?” She asked. Jessica is dumbfounded. She thought a man had kidnapped her. Turns out, it’s just a short, petite woman.

 

“Where am I? Why am I here? D-did y-you kidnapped me last night, you-you ert!” Jessica yelled.

 

Now it’s Taeyeon’s turn to be dumbfounded. She paused for a good one minute and then let out a sarcastic scoff. Of course, she does not remember a thing. Not when she was that drunk last night. She runs her hand through her hair in frustration.

 

“Yah, answer me!”

 

“Aish, can you stop yelling and calm down for a second?” Taeyeon said while approaching her.

 

“No! I’ll- I’ll scream again if you try to do anything!” Jessica threatened her.

 

“For God’s sake, just relax. I can explain-.”

 

“There’s nothing to explain! I know you- you must have done erted things to me! My clothes are all gone and I’m !”

 

“Okay, you are wearing your undergarments. You’re technically not -.” Taeyeon was immediately cut off by Jessica yelling again.

 

“You- you’ll get in trouble! You must have taken pictures of me and wanted to sell it to the media! ert!”

 

“Aish, ing hell! I didn’t ing take your pictures! You’re the one who tried to kill yourself last night. Damn it!” Taeyeon yelled back in distress. Jessica got taken aback by her words. Kill herself? Last night? She is about to ask when a painful headache hits hers. She grunts in pain as she holds onto her hair. “What…happened?”

 

Taeyeon crossed her arms. “You got drunk last night and went up to the rooftop. You almost jump to your death. I came just in time before grim reaper can take your soul.” She plainly answered. The woman she met last night; who cried and felt depressed is not the same as this whining woman sitting on her couch.

 

“I…did? Oh God…” Jessica could not believe she attempted to do it. In shame, she covers her face with her hands and just leans down. She could not feel anything but frustrations towards herself. The atmosphere got quiet all of the sudden and it made Taeyeon feel awkward. She sighs as she takes an oversize t-shirt from a pile of clean clothes in the basket and lightly throws it near Jessica.

 

“Here, wear this for a while.” She spoke. Jessica slowly lifts her face from her the palm of her hands and looks at the green t-shirt that landed near her feet. She slowly goes to reach it out, while her other hand holding onto the blanket so it won’t fall. Taeyeon scoffs silently. As if she did not already see her half . “I’ll be cooking some seaweed soup. Stay here.” She proceeds to make her way to the small kitchen.

 

Jessica looks as her figure walks away before turning her gaze back at the t-shirt in her hands. She sighs in defeat. She cannot believe she just made a decision to end her life last night and someone had to saved her from doing it. Pathetic, she thought. She chuckles bitterly. She is indeed worthless, she thought. She wore the t-shirt given by Taeyeon. She lifts the collar up to her nose and she starts smelling the scent of the clothing. It seems the laundry has not been folded for a while now, it has a mix scent of a softener’s fragrance, soap and a hint of coffee.

 

“It smells good.” She silently said as she closed her eyes.

 

After around 40 minutes, Taeyeon finally finished cooking. She puts a warm bowl of seaweed soup on a tray along with eating utensils, a small bowl of rice with some side dishes as well as a glass of water with a hangover medicine. She carries it to the living room and serves it on the coffee table. Jessica looks at the dishes in front of her. Her stomach growls in hunger as she chaps her lips. Taeyeon is too tired to even realizes it. She sits on the other couch to give space for Jessica to eat.

 

“I’m not good of a cook but…” Taeyeon did not even managed to finish her words. Jessica sits on the floor and picks up the utensils on the tray in a flash. The bartender just stares at her upon seeing how fast Jessica is shoving the food inside . She doesn’t even look like she is chewing it. “So good.” She mouthed and shoved another spoonful of rice topped with kimchi.

 

“God, you look like a hyena feasting on a buffalo.” Taeyeon said. Jessica stops upon hearing her remarks and swallow the food in . “S-sorry. It’s just so good.” She spoke in such a faint tone while she wipes the rice on her lips. “I haven’t eaten rice for 3 days now.”

 

“Are you kidding me?” Taeyeon chuckled thinking it was just a silly excuse but Jessica isn’t lying. “Yah, you have money to get drunk but you can’t even buy a proper meal?”

 

“Well…I’m on a diet. The company asked me to lose more weight cause my thighs look fat.” Jessica’s head hung low.

 

“Company? You’re a trainee?” Taeyeon asked. Jessica shook her head. “I…already debuted…two years ago in a duo group called Navice.”

 

“Never heard of it. Must be the cheap version of Davichi.”

 

“Y-Yah! We’re pretty famous, you know? We have a lot of fans and our albums sell really well!” Jessica said, feeling offended by Taeyeon’s remarks, again.

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. I don’t really care. How old are you?”

 

Jessica sulkily pouts her lips. “24 years old…” She replied. Taeyeon raises her eyebrow in amuse.

 

“You’re still young and just debuted a few years ago. You quote your group to be famous and have loads of record sales. Yet, you want to commit suicide?”

 

This time, Jessica puts down the spoon rather harshly. “I’m done eating.” She stood up and sat back on the couch. Taeyeon sighs as she scratches her head in guilt. Maybe she went a bit too far there. She always has a terrible sense of communication.

 

“Look, I’m sorry. I did not mean to offend you or anything.” She apologized sincerely.

 

Jessica took a deep, short breath and just hung her head low. “Things go well with my career but not my private life.” She answered. Taeyeon sits there; just staring at her. She could at least sense whatever’s in Jessica’s mind is the same thing that she thought last night.

 

“I’m in no place to intrude your private life cause idols often keep it out from the public’s knowledge. But what I do know, you are not lying about having it tough and I cannot say I understand you since we are two different people with different lives.”

 

Jessica looks at Taeyeon who just sits there calmly with her gaze staring at the windows.

 

“Finish your meal. You must be hungry. I have more rice in the kitchen.”

 

Jessica is a bit egoistic and refuses to eat after what Taeyeon had said. But a part of her knew she did not mean it in a rude and harsh way. She was just worried and wondering why Jessica attempted to end her own life. She looks at the meal in front of her. In a slow pace, she slides back down to the floor and resumes eating. This time, she eats normally instead of shoving spoonful of rice in .

 

Jessica finishes her meal and took the medicine. She can still feel the effects of the hangover but she feels better compared to when she woke up earlier. Taeyeon have already wash and dry clean her clothes that reeked of alcohol this morning. She only wore the pants but didn’t change the t-shirt. Taeyeon gives back her purse and phone. “Call your manager and tell them to pick you up.”

 

Jessica unlocks her phone; taps the contact icon where she saved her manager’s number at the very top. She’s about to make a call but for some reasons, her finger just refuses to click on the green button displayed on the screen. Taeyeon notices it. “What are you waiting for?”

 

“Can I…not go?” Jessica spoke in such a faint voice. Taeyeon couldn’t hear what she said. “What?”

 

“I don’t want to go back. I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

 

“Is this because you got drunk last night and you’re scared the manager would scold you?”

 

“No…” Jessica shook her head which made Taeyeon even more confuse. “I- I don’t have any problems with the manager.”

 

“Then? You obviously cannot stay here. Your fans will find out sooner or later. I’m not going to have some craze fans surround my house.”

 

Taeyeon is right. Knowing fans nowadays are capable of taking extreme measures to meet with their idol. There’s no doubt some of them would sneak in or simply dump gifts at the front door. Jessica is very well aware of that risk. Yet, at the same time, she doesn’t want to go back since she has to face with…

 

Ding Dong.

 

The doorbell rings. Taeyeon looks at the door; wondering who the hell is visiting her at this hour. “Stay here.” Taeyeon warned. She then walks to the screen display attached to her wall to see the visitor’s faces. Oddly enough, no one is there. She glances at Jessica before deciding to open the door. There’s no one presence until a camera suddenly went near her face making her stumbling backwards. She almost fell but her hand manages to hold onto the door knob.

 

“What the actual ?” She cursed. She looks up only to see a man holding a camera in his hands. “Omo, Jessica!” A woman’s voice called out the brunette’s name as she appears from behind the man’s back. Taeyeon is left utterly confuse.

 

“Jessica? It’s you, right? You’re here?” The woman called out, completely ignoring the owner of the apartment in front of her. Jessica slowly made her way to the door. Her footsteps seemed timid as her hands are fidgeting with the t-shirt. “U-unnie.”

 

“Jessica, you’re safe!” The blonde woman pulled her hand and pulls her for a tight hug. “Thank God, I found you! We were looking everywhere for you!”

 

“I’m-sorry for making you worried.” Jessica apologized. Taeyeon just observed the whole situation in front of her. She crosses her arms and lean her shoulder on the wall with a cold look.

 

“You must be the person who took care of Jessica!” The woman said in a high pitch voice. Such an annoying tone, Taeyeon thought.

 

“How did you know she’s here? Jessica did not give a call or anything.”

 

“Ah, our manager tracked her phone to this location. She was not at home since last night and we got really worried.”

 

“Then, why don’t you track her when she didn’t come back after a while? Seems like an irresponsible manager to me.” Taeyeon said bluntly. She did not bother to hold back what’s in her mind.

 

The woman awkwardly laughs. “My name is Summer. We’re both in the same group together. I’m really thankful that you took such a great effort to make her safe.”

 

Taeyeon ignores the introduction and looks at Jessica who just stood there quietly. “I’ll take your stuffs and you can go home.” She said and walks back in to fetch Jessica’s belongings on the table. She goes back to give it to her. “Be safe.” Taeyeon gives a gentle pat on the arm. Jessica could only look at her in silent.

 

Summer approaches Taeyeon making the bartender to step back. What is wrong with this lady, she thought. “We want to repay your kindness. I have my solo album here-.”

 

“Not interested.” Taeyeon answered fairly quick before shutting the door close making Summer to just stand there awkwardly. She locks the door and goes to the screen where she can see the two women in front of her door.

 

“He’s downstairs.” Summer spoke. Her tone was different. It doesn’t sound like the high-pitch annoying voice she used earlier. She walks away first, making loud footsteps with her heels. Taeyeon observed Jessica’s face from the other side. She seemed to be hesitant yet scared. She looks like she just wanted to run away or just barges in back to Taeyeon’s apartment. She turns her head slowly, glancing at the small camera; as if she knew Taeyeon is there still watching over her.

 

“Thank you for your help.” She bowed and left. Taeyeon continues on to stare at the screen. She tightly clenches her fist; trying to ignore the fact she somehow feels weird inside. Guilt, perhaps? She denies Jessica’s permission to stay and let her go with her suspicious singing partner. Taeyeon just shook her head and walks away from the screen.

 

***

 

The two idols walk to the car with their faces fully cover to avoid being detected by the passersby. “Get in.” Summer instructed. Jessica nods and enters the car. The manager, Seulgi whose sitting at the driver’s seat quickly turns around to look at her and shows a smile of relief. “Oh, you’re okay-.” “Shut up.” Summer scolded once she enters the car. She closes the door harshly; making Jessica flinches. “What are you waiting for? Drive, you idiot.” She glared at the poor manager. Seulgi could only say yes and turns back around to start the engine.

 

The car moves back to the dorm. The atmosphere inside is intense, heavy and awkward. Summer fixing her make-up while Jessica just sitting there with her head hanging low. “You.” The moment Jessica lifts her head up to look at Summer, a hard object lands straight on her face making her yelp. Seulgi could only look at the road while holding onto the steering tightly. Even though she is the manager of their group, she could not do anything to go against that wicked woman.

 

Yes, Song Summer. She is not kind and humble as the fans known her to be. The whole reason why Jessica did not want to go back. She wanted to avoid this evil woman.

 

Jessica could only clench her teeth when the taller woman pulls her hair. Summer scoffs. Her mind remembering that embarrassing scene with Taeyeon earlier. How dare she slams the door in front of her face? She is Song Summer! Yet, she got treated that way. It pisses her off. A slap lands hard on Jessica’s cheek causing her to fall weakly onto the chair.

 

“ing midget has the guts to ing embarrass me.” Summer cursed as she ran her hand through her short, blonde-dyed hair. “Yah, you. What’s with the stupid stunt? Running off without anyone’s knowledge? If you want to be a delinquent so bad, don’t bother being an idol.” She pushed Jessica’s forehead multiple times with her fingers.

 

Jessica could only shut her eyes; feeling scared that her tears will fall and she’ll get into much more trouble. “I’m sorry, unnie.” She apologized with a shaky face earning a hard smack on the head. “Don’t ing call me unnie. Sunbae. I’m your sunbae!”

 

“Y-yes, Sunbae. I’m really sorry.” Jessica could only look down on her laps while her trembling hands clenching onto the hem of the shirt.

 

“Tch, whatever. At least I have something for the media team to post. Those stupid fans would love to watch my ‘affection’ towards you earlier. ‘Song Summer always being there to help her member in need.’” She laughs while clapping loudly. Jessica could only shut her eyes; trying her best to ignore the tears from falling down her cheeks.

 

Ever since she met Summer, her life has been miserable. The singer with 5 years of experience and 7 years of have tortured her mentally, physically for almost 3 years. She always pretends to act kind, friendly and humble in front of others. But, in reality, she has been abusing her member ever since they were put together in a group. Jessica has never thought of fighting her back or trying to defend herself in any sorts of way. That is because Summer is very manipulative. She knew the moment she tries to do anything to go against her. Summer would ruin all her hard work overnight.

 

Jessica could only bear the abuses and bullying she receives from her. All for the sake of wanting to pursue her dream as a singer. But, deep inside, she knows very well…

 

Her passion to perform and entertain is dying out. Like a small fire being put in the middle of a blizzard.

 

She wonders… if she can ever be able to escape this life someday? Maybe…it’s not even possible.

 

***

 

Chapter 2 has been posted! Thank you for subscribing to this story and for the upvotes as well. I'm glad to see the readers are enjoying it. I may not be able to update tomorrow because I haven't started on Chapter 3 yet since my health was not doing well last night and this morning. However, I'll be updating the next one once it's done. Enjoy <3