chain of love III

11tcr
Please log in to read the full chapter

november 20, 2019. 

Serena had just left the Suri Viboon Medical Center after an accident concerning a client and their child jumping from the roof in mid-discussion about setting up a photoshoot for said child. Anyways, Serena rubbed her eyes out of tiredness while swatting at the air a few times because Maofah continued to about where she should be looking and focusing instead of daydreaming like always since she tripped over the metal piece of the doorway on their way out of the medical center. Serena didn't respond to the feline since she didn't want to be seen talking to herself even if she did it ocassionally. Still she didn't want it to lead her to go somewhere else if someone happened to witness her talking to the empty air when in reality she was just talking to the two cats that no one could see unless the cats wanted to be seen.

While leaving the building Serena suddenly recalled the memory of how her parents handled Melanie's situation back then and even to now. No one else knew that Melanie was alive before being transferred to another hospital a week after her supposed funeral held by their parents. Of course, then again, her parents kept almost everyone in the dark about Melanie's true condition. Out of sight, out of mind. Serena knew her parents preferred to save face than save their kids. At first Serena's parents wanted to keep Melanie alive in hopes that their daughter were to wake up the next day miraculously. That was until they learned from the doctor at the time that Melanie made no progress since being hospitalized for less than a week.

They wanted to pull the plug which forced Serena to handle it from then on. She went no contact with her parents and with the help from her aunt and best friend, Serena transferred Melanie to another hospital with a better care facility and with more privacy for her sister's well-being. Serena decided to move out of her parents' home immediately to cut ties with them when she learned that her parents were going to carry out a fake funeral for Melanie. It was all to keep their image intact and to not bother with any pity being placed upon them for their unfortunate tragedy. Serena wanted nothing to do with them and was fortunate to move out and find a place thanks to Praya and Eungenia's aid.

Since then Serena learned her aunt divorced her uncle and the pair cut ties with the family. Still though there wasn't much of a change to Melanie's situation from then to now yet Melanie's new health caregivers continued to do their absolute best to care for her day and night.  With the additional help from Eugenia and Praya, Serena entrusted Melanie to her new doctor, Oak Smith. As well as his skilled four nurses, Darin Hansen, Lilly McGrath, Zara Hohler, and Siri Luther. Serena continued to keep the faith while only allowing another handful of people know of Melanie's present condition.

Even to this day Serena was the only one that knew the real truth behind Melanie's coma despite the vagueness of it all. Serena knew why her sister continued to make no actual physical progress over the years yet reminded herself that someday Melanie would awake. Still Serena wasn't sure if she regretted doing it. Or if she did have another chance would she still do it all over again. Even maybe prevent Pearl's death as well. Serena wasn't quite sure, but she did know that she loved her sister and she would do almost anything for her to come back although a small part of her felt like something else had happened to put them where they are, but she couldn't really tell what it was for sure.

Anyways, Serena wondered why she was suddenly thinking about all of this after so long, but her thoughts were immediately interrupted when she tripped over one of parking bumper ledge after stepping off the sidewalk curb. Serena ignored the snickering felines while someone asked if she was alright in a soft voice that Serena almost didn't hear her. Serena focused her attention onto Jisoo with her round golden frames standing out amongst her face and wore a cute light pink jacket that reminded Serena of something that Melanie would wear back in her teenage years. A smiled graced her face as she nodded.

"Yeah, I'm totally fine. I just wasn't paying attention that's all. I'm just so used to it. Anyways, thank you though."

Jisoo quietly nodded.

"Ah, good to know and you're welcome."

"Jisoo, dear."

Jisoo's mother, Hyojin, called for her as she was almost at the clinic's doors.

"Come along, honey. We have to visit my supervisor who just gave birth before we go to the store to prepare for Dad's grave visit next month."

"Okay, mom. I'm coming." Jisoo replied in a quiet manner.

She walked towards her mother and shot a timid smile at Serena while passing her. Serena returned the smile and silently watched the little interactions between the mother and daughter where Jisoo's mom put an arm around her shoulders and leaned her head against her daughter's in an act of affection while entering the medical institution shortly afterwards. This triggered a flashback for Serena during the first time her sister was hospitalized at the previous medical clinic during the late summer of 2015 where her parents seemed to have no unconditional love of their own to care for their children.
 

june 21, 2015.

Serena had just arrived outside of Melanie's hospital room when she overheard the conversation between her parents and Melanie's primary doctor about her sister's usual condition.

"I'm sorry to say this, Mr. and Mrs. Vorasavane, but there's been no improvement in your daughter's state to full recovery or in the near future. The results are still the same since she was admitted and we've tried everything to see if she's responsive to other methods. Even with weeks and months to come with how things are going, I do believe that your daughter will remain in the same state as she is now and may never wake from her coma. Your daughter could stay like this permanently."

The doctor, Jason Young, informed them.

"I know we should be optimistic about these sort of things as it's only been a few days, but some times we have to face the impossible and do what we have to do even if it may hurt us in the end."

"Thank you, Doctor." Mr. Vorasavane said in a grim tone.

Mrs. Vorasavane stared at her bed-ridden daughter.

"What should we do then, Noom? Just pull the plug and leave it at that?"

"I believe that would be the better option, Mam."

Serena rushed in not wanting them to pull the plug on her sister's life. Not when she knew there was another alternate way to save her sister, but in a different form that wouldn't make sense logically to her parents or the doctor if she tried to explained it to them right now. Because it was still all confusing to her and she couldn't herself ut it into words if she did try to explain the paranormal situation.

"Wait. You can't just decide that." Serena angrily told them.

"You don't know if Melanie will wake up soon just because he says there is no progress. You never know. Anything can happen."

"He's a professional, Serena. He knows what he's talking about." Her father firmly stated as Serena shook her head vigorously.

"I don't care. I don't care if he's a professional. He's not family. He's just someone skilled in reading off lab work and charts. I'm not gonna let you guys just take my sister away from me like that. Don't do this. Please."

"There's nothing else to do, Serena. Melanie's not going to wake up. She's not coming back to us!" Her mother claimed in a shrill voice.

Noom placed a hand on his wife's shoulder to calm her down before looking over at his eldest daughter.

"We can't force her to wake up when she's unresponsive, Serena."

"I don't care." Serena argued while fighting back tears from spilling.

"Melanie isn't going to just be gone from the world because you guys won't believe that she'll wake up one day."

Serena turned her attention to the doctor.

"Miss, I would highly adv-"

"Shut up! I don't wanna hear it. I don't care how long it'll take for her to wake up, but I'm not going to abandoned my sister like that. I'll have her transferred to another hospital where they can take care of her long-term if I have to."

"Serena!" Mam's voice exclaimed. "You are not a professional to decide such things."

"Melanie's life will end here." Noom stated with a firm tone.

"There's no reason to prolong the inevitable."

Serena glared at her parents.

"Melanie will not die. I will not let you decide her fate without her permission. You have no right to make the call if she gets to live or not."

Serena's focus returned back to her current reality. She gazed up at the hospital before her, Nizho University Hospital. Four years has passed since Melanie was transferred from Vipaka University Hospital and out of Dr. Young's care. Those overseeing Melanie now were surely optimistic as well on the account of Serena of course. Serena knew nothing much had changed since then, but tomorrow will always be a better day. Serena just had to hope for that. She already waited for four years so she could continued to wait a little longer.

When Serena returned home she decided to pay a visit to Twilight Melanie. When she arrived, the Eternal Realm was empty. There was no sign of Twilight Melanie anywhere. Even the hellhounds weren't present as they usually made a commotion and appeared often with Twilight Melanie as they kept her company here in this realm. Even Nerok and Maofah had disappeared upon entering the house as well. Serena frowned as she felt a weird feeling settled within her while gazing about the room.

The Twilight Room today was a shade of light blue filling the room with low mist that wisped here and there along with framed pictures hanging on the walls of past memories of the sisters with family, friends, and colleagues. It was neither day nor night, but a mood and feel of both that fell around Serena in a comfortable silence. Serena then remembered that the room reflected at times her inner thoughts too and not just of Twilight Melanie's life. It reminded Serena of the actual reality when she wanted the Twilight Room to be even if Twilight Melanie resided here.

"Hi, Melanie. Where ever you are."

Serena spoke to the empty air as she squatted tiredly before sitting down and pulling her legs closer to her chest and wept upon them quietly.

"I miss you, baby sister."

Her alone time was disturbed when she felt three furry things brushing up against her body a moment later. Serena wiped away her tears and peered down at the three hellhounds trying to comfort her. She gave them each an ear rub before standing back up after thanking them. Serena then felt two weights upon each side of her shoulders as she glanced both left and right of her to see that the cats have perched themselves comfortably upon them. Nerok openly nuzzled the side of her head affectionately while Maofah just softly patted the other side. Serena smiled and thanked them before asking about the Twilight Melanie, but always receiving the same answer.

"Not sure."

The felines had answered while the hellhounds once again disappeared.

"She comes and goes of her own accord."

This wasn't the first time that Twilight Melanie hadn't appear in the Twilight Room when Serena entered. It happened quite often that Serena slowly grew accustomed to it knowing that she would pop up later. Maybe a bit too accustomed to it as it took longer for her sister to appear than before. Serena asked once about it, but learned that Twilight Melanie only knew of her life before the incident and then the ones created after without any real awareness that her own time had stopped. So her disappearance depended upon her own lack of consciousness and awareness, perhaps. Serena left the Twilight Room and back to her own living room with the felines closely following behind.

"So what are we having for dinner tonight?" Nerok asked already heading towards the kitchen.

Before Serena could crash onto her sofa she heard a knock and turned around to check on the guest.

"You're on your own." Maofah told her before following after Nerok.

"Figures."

She rolled her eyes.

"I wonder if it's the girls wanting to borrow some ingredients again."

Serena half-mused a second later while making her way to the front door and instead saw her other neighbor, Arthur, behind it.

"Hello, Arthur." Serena greeted him politely. "How may I help you?"

"Hey, Serena! You're home." Arthur greeted with a big smile.

"I wasn't sure if you would be in as I usually catch you as you're just leaving although I was off today for the first time in months..."

Serena just watched Arthur as he continued to blabber on until she asked what he actually wanted.

"Arthur. Is there something you wanted or needed?"

"Oh, right. Sorry." He apologized with a sheepish look.

"I was wondering if you were free on the twenty-eight and twenty-ninth of this month?"

"I'm not sure. What about it?"

"Well, everyone here at Bruni Mondal is holding an event for those that didn't have family or weren't visiting families for the holidays. And I know that Eugenia left a couple months ago for a business venture overseas which means you're alone for the holidays."

Arthur looked at her in wonder.

"Did you want to join? You're the only resident that hasn't accepted the invitation."

"Invitation?"

She cast him a confused look as Arthur cast her an equally confused look.

"Geraldine left an invitation in everyone's mail box two weeks ago. It was a gold envelope with white ts and smelled of pumpkin spice."

Serena had no clue on what Arthur was talking about until it dawned on her a second later. She remembered seeing a golden envelope from the landlady, Geraldine McIntosh, when she had opened the mail earlier this month, but because Praya had called her about a last minute job one of the felines had gotten into it first. She thought it wasn't important, but now she had thought wrong.

"Oh, that. Yeah, my cats got into it and I couldn't even tell what it was. Sorry."

Serena cast him an apologetic look and hoped that was all that he wanted to say to her.

"Oh, okay. Well, if you're in, then I can let Geraldine know. So are you?"

"Um, I won't know for sure, Arthur, due to my job. But you don't have to worry. I'll let Mrs. McIntosh know myself when I do."

"Oh, yeah, sure, sure. She just needs a response by the end of the week."

Arthur laughed awkwardly as Serena laughed along with him to not feel bad.

"Anyways, um, I'll leave you alone then. Have a good evening, Serena."

"The same to you, too, Arthur."

Arthur gave one final wave before turning around and leaving quickly. When Serena shut the door she was bombarded by Nerok who perched himself onto her head.

"You should give him a chance."

Serena looked up at him weirdly while Maofah agreed with Nerok.

"Yeah, Arthur's just trying to make sure you have a social life here and maybe a possible love life."

Serena glared at Maofah before lifting Nerok off her head and holding him in her arms.

"Why should I give him a chance, Nerok?"

"NiNi said you needed to date and find yourself someone."

"I'm fine and don't listen to her."

"She said that you're just playing hard to get."

Serena rolled her eyes.

"I'm not and Arthur isn't my type."

Before Nerok could talk, Serena did the only thing that would shut up the cat and focus on something else.

"Who wants to make strawberry cupcakes?"

"STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES?!" Nerok exclaimed happily as he excitedly jumped out of her arms and zoomed towards the kitchen.

"I do!"

"I know what you did there." Maofah commented not a second later while giving Serena a knowing look.

Serena did the same thing to him as she didn't want the white feline bothering her as well.

"Do you wanna make peach cupcakes, too, Maofah?"

"PEACH  CUP-cakes. Yeah, sure, whatever."

Maofah retained his indifferent coolness, but Serena knew he was just as excited.

"C'mon, let's go before Nerok causes a mess."

The pair went to join Nerok and Serena wondered once she paid her dues and got Melanie back what life would

Please log in to read the full chapter