chain of love I

11tcr
Please log in to read the full chapter

june 15, 2015.  

"You're still packing?" Serena asked Melanie while leaning against the door frame of Melanie's bedroom.

"Yeah, I didn't know what to bring or how much to bring." Melanie answered nonchalantly while placing several things into her large suitcase.

Serena rolled her eyes, but watched from the doorway.

"If you don't hurry, then whoever's picking us up is gonna be annoyed."

"Chill. Pearl's on her way and I'll be ready by then. Besides, we should reach the resort before midnight."

"I mean, flying would've been better as it's not that far away from Indralia to Ziska Alee. It's just one side to the other side, but driving probably saves money in the end."

"Most definitely. It's only because of all the kids, teenagers, and young adults traveling on this trip overall. There's too many of us including all of the staff and volunteers, but a road trip would be better to travel through Nizho, Nazin, Daian, and then taking a ferry to Yuehue from either Longnam Chiang or Phungnoi Soiroi to Nagamai Anja."

"Yes, I agree. With the short pit stops in the other regions to sightsee, they could definitely travel the island for sure once we get there to enjoy that airy and refreshing feel away from the city environment. I heard the resorts have natural hot springs, too."

"Mmhmm. Pearl is looking forward to seeing the tea museum, too."

"Pearl's nice. I like her. The others I just tolerate."

"You're just not a people person."

"True. Anyways, I can't believe I let you roped me into being a part of this."

"You need to socialize anyways."

"Oh, you're funny. Anyways, is your Mr. Handsome gonna be there, too?"

Melanie looked up at her sister with a playful look.

"Mmhmm. Lewis will be there and so is your Mr. Cutie."

Melanie also noticed Serena wearing the same outfit she was wearing for the trip.

"I didn't think the outfit would suit you, but it's nice."

Serena rolled her eyes.

"I have to wear this since all the staff and volunteers are wearing the same thing to keep track of who is who."

She eyed her sister with a knowing smile.

"I just didn't think you'll agree to wearing red though."

Melanie scrunched her face.

"I wanted blue, but they gave it to the kids under ten."

"Of course you would, but for real though. I said the guy was just cute one time and you're already shipping me with him."

"Because I'm sure that Rhydian thinks you're cute, too."

"Eww, stop. I hardly know the guy."

"Yeah, yeah, but you pretty much impressed him when you threw the baseball towards him."

"I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't stick around to flirt with him like the others. That's probably why."

"True. Anyways, don't forget the snacks."

"Oh right. I wanted to take the panda and koala biscuits. Thanks for reminding me."

"Mmhmm."

"So, I think I took the wrong turn like three turns back." Pearl admitted to the sisters as the trio were now driving in some random area of Nazin.

"Oh, what? Really, Pearl?"

Melanie looked over at her friend and colleague.

"Yeah, sorry. We were supposed to be in Dhanantara heading towards Enys Annolly, but I think the Navigation glitched and didn't re-route me and now we're in Ovander heading to Favien."

"Whoa. Isn't that like heading toward Vipaka than Daian?" Serena asked trying to recall her geological knowledge.

"Yeah."

"So we're heading south instead of west?"

"That's right."

"Okay, Pearl, just pull over and we can double check instead of aimlessly driving around." Melanie suggested as Pearl nodded.

"Hmm, I'll just pulled into this residential area that's coming up ahead then."

Pearl at that moment started checking her phone for the correct route while slowly heading to the area she mentioned earlier as Melanie did the same thing while sitting in the passenger seat. Serena looked around their surrounding as she wondered where they were now while she sat in the backseat. Soon very bright lights caught Serena's attention as her eyes focused in front of her while calling out for Pearl's attention.

"Pearl! Look out!"

Just as the words were spoken did everything happen too quickly. Their car collided with another and it soon caused an accident with other on-coming vehicles crashing into them and one another afterwards. Pearl panicked and had oversteered to avoid the other car coming towards her which caused them to be T-Bone by another. Trying to make sense of it all, but the impact gave them whiplashed as Serena's vision blurred while she braced for more of what was to come. Before she could check on the other two her eyelids grew heavy and just before succumbing to darkness she heard a male voice franctically calling for her name in her head.

"Serena!"

Serena could feel herself coming to, but couldn't fully open her eyes or make any kind of movements. Serena wondered if this was just the moments before death or the feelings of lingering between both worlds until her final fate was decided. She wasn't sure until she remembered Melanie. Her mind became full on alert, but her body wouldn't react. What was going on? Serena could hear voices and murmuring, but couldn't make out what was being said or clearly hear the conversation. Serena just knew one was male and the other female. She could also feel some type of warmth flowing through her, but couldn't make it out. She succumbed to darkness once more.
 

june 17, 2015.

Serena stirred awake, but couldn't open her eyes. She tried to use her arms, but couldn't move them either. She could feel herself wriggled around, but was unable to actually move about. Serena tried to call out at first, but couldn't speak. She then tried to call for her sister, but the same thing occured. Serena realized she couldn't move or speak yet felt wide awake. Soon Serena heard several voices, but couldn't recognize any of them. They were talking about something or someone, but she could only catch bits and pieces of what they were discussing about.

Serena wondered what they were talking about as none of it made sense. It felt like she was under water yet not quite since she could hear them clearly, but there were weird vibrations going on in the background like she was tripping out in some alternate universe. Just as she could feel herself move freely Serena opened her eyes and there were a blurring of transparent-like figures cast in either white and black with strange auras around them. Serena was about to call out to them, but darkness claimed her once more.
 

june 19, 2015. 

"Serena."

A soft yet unfamiliar male voice called out to Serena, but she barely stirred to the sound of it.

"Serena."

The same voice called out to her again, but this time she stirred yet she couldn't really wake herself to see who was calling out to her.

"Serena."

The male voice came again in a soothing manner. She moved to the left and right, but was still unable to open her eyes.

"Hey."

She willed herself to open her eyes, to move more than she could, but it was inevitable.

"Hey."

The unfamiliar voice was so soft, yet calming at the same time.

"Can you hear me?"

She wanted to reply that she could and ask who he was, but nothing came out.

"Don't worry."

He assured her.

"I can still hear you."

His tone remained the same every time he spoke to her, but it made her more anxious to actually respond and wanting to see him more.

"It's okay, Serena."

It still didn't ease her as she was still unable to look for the source of the voice or even open her eyes. The tone was just so soothing though.

"It's going to be alright, Serena."

The same voice continued to reassure her and eventually it began to calm her down despite not being to see or speak to him.

"Everything will be fine, Serena."

Still Serena didn't understand why she couldn't move about or even open her eyes despite trying to. Who was he and where was she?

"You'll find out soon enough."

Could she keep him to his words? She wasn't sure as everything made no sense.

"I promise and hope that you'll forgive me."

Serena confirmed that he could hear her thoughts and wanted to ask him something, but he spoke again before she could.

"Don't forget."

Serena still her movements. What did he mean to not forget? Was she supposed to remember something important? And why couldn't he tell her and what was she supposed to forgive him for? Serena's mind buzz with thoughts as everything felt jumbled and all over the place. Why couldn't she recall who the voice belonged to? Why couldn't she move? Why couldn't she even open her eyes? She wondered about so many things, but was left with more questions than answers.

"All in due time."

Came the male voice and it calmed Serena once more. Still she wanted to know who he was and how he knew her.

"We'll meet again in another time and place when the time allows me to."

He responded which helped Serena to slowly breathed in and out while letting her mind settled down.

"Now, take my hand."

The male voice spoke again and this time around Serena was able to view his hand as she felt her arm rising involuntarily to reach out towards the hand that was coming towards her. She tried to pull it back, but it moved on its own accord. What was going on? How could she not control her own movements?

"Trust me, Serena."

After those words were said did Serena's hand meet the ones offered to her did she actually wake up to her own present state.

Serena's eyes shot opened as she stared at the white ceiling above her and shielded her eyes a second later due to its sudden brightness. She counted to ten and eased her breathing before tentatively opening her eyes again. Everything just seemed so white and bright. Where was she?

"Where am I?" Serena asked to no one in particular.

"You're awake!"

Two female voices exclaimed and Serena slowly turned towards the sound to find Praya, and her aunt, Eugenia, sitting beside her bed.

"Praya? Aunt Eugenia?"

Serena was confused and looked about her while trying to sit up.

"You're in the hospital in Candana." Eugenia answered.

Serena glanced around her.

"Candana? We're still in Vipaka?"

"Yes, honey." Eugenia confirmed her niece's words.

Serena looked at the two confused.

"What happened? What am I doing here?"

"Re, you were involved in a car accident a few days ago." Praya informed her while Eugenia placed her own hand into Serena's to comfort her with the next words she was about to reveal.

"Honey, you, Melanie, and anoth-"

Upon hearing her sister's name did Serena become alert. Something within her kicked in protective mode and she panicked wanting to know about her sister's condition and whereabouts.

"What about Melanie? Where is she? Is Melanie fine? Please tell me she's alright, Aunt Eugenia."

She gazed at her aunt who seemed just as melancholy as she was. Serena shifted her attention to her friend for answers.

"Ya, please tell me that Melanie is unharmed and safe somewhere that's not here."

Praya gazed at her friend with a forlorn expression as well. She didn't have the heart to tell Serena the truth just like Eugenia. The silence confirmed something was not right with Melanie and Serena's face became one of panicked and worried.

"Please." Serena pleaded for one of them to tell her the truth.

Just as they had opened their mouth to speak someone else spoke instead.

"Your sister's in critical condition."

Serena whipped her head to the new voice and saw that it was her father, Noom, with a stoic expression.

"You're lying."

Serena denied the reality of it all.

"No she's not. You're lying."

"We'll speak when you're calm and not hysteric since you just woke up. Now rest." Noom ordered before glancing over at Praya.

"I believe that visitation hours is over, Ms. Nataya."

"Uh, yes, sir." Praya agreed in a meek tone before gathering her things and glanced at Serena.

"I'll come again soon. Take care, Re."

Praya quickly left leaving the father, aunt, and daughter alone. Serena shook her head at her father still not believing his words.

"Tell me that she's fine."

Her father remained calm and sighed tiredly.

"Your mother will be flying in tomorrow morning. She and I will go over everything about Melanie."

He gazed at his wife's sister-in-law.

"Don't take too long and make sure Serena's settled before leaving, Mrs. Wattanasakul."

"Yes, sir." Eugenia complied with a soft tone and a nod. "I won't be long."

"Good."

Noom gave his daughter a stern look.

"Rest and don't bother your aunt with unnecessary questions."

He reminded before exiting the room leaving Serena to silently cry and process the situation before remembering Pearl.

"Oh my. Pearl. What about Pearl? Did she make it? Please tell me she survived, too."

"No, dear, she did not. She died on her way to the hospital."

"Pearl, I'm so sorry."

Eugenia placed a hand on her niece's hand.

"Her family just arrived this morning. They wish to speak with you and Melanie to discuss things whenever y'all woke up."

Serena could only nod as everything overwhelmed her all of a sudden. She broke down in tears with her hands covering her face.

"Oh, Serena."

Eugenia comforted her niece until Serena eventually cried herself to a dreamless sleep that night before leaving.

august 9, 2017.  

Taehyung suddenly found himself in a vast transparent white space with no walls that stretched on and on. He couldn't even tell if he was inside or outside. Nor if it was cold or hot. Everything seemed and felt so bright yet not blinding at the same time. He looked up to an endless ceiling that seemed almost heaven-like with wisps of clouds swirling around him. Only the cream-colored tile flooring surrounded in mist that he stood upon was the most solid thing he could make out.

Taehyung wandered around the area and wondered what he was doing in a place like this with no other person in sight. The only sound he could hear were the footsteps he made himself. Taehyung felt like he was in a dream, but awake at the same time. He pinched himself and winced, but the feeling subsided just as quickly as it had occurred. He repeated it once more and the same thing happened again. It almost felt like deja vu. Soon he recalled that he's been here once before less than two years ago during a tragic accident.

That incident led Taehyung to linger between life and death although he wasn't sure how even to this day what actually had occurred at that moment. At first he thought he was in a dream, but realize that it wasn't one. So when he unexpectedly awoke in the hospital some time later he had debated to keep it to himself for the time being to not worry his friends. It was all a blur and he could hardly recall the exact details. All he knew for sure was that his parents were no longer around and it was just him and his younger brother.

Anyways, Taehyung eventually decided to ask the doctor, Dr. Jasong Young, in charge of him if it was normal to think he was in limbo or to see glimpses of his life play out like a movie. The doctor informed him that it was a common occurrence since the mind and body itself try to cope with the experience that it's going through. Dr. Young said it was like an out of body experience of sorts. Taehyung was also told if there were other concerns to come in for a follow-up. I

Please log in to read the full chapter