chain of love VI

11tcr
Please log in to read the full chapter

november 29, 2019. 

"So, Serena," One of her four female neighbors called out with a few giggles following after.

"Hmm?" Serena hummed wondering why she was giggling.

"Serious or not so serious question depending if you wanna answer or not."

"Okay."

"Do you know that Arthur likes you or you do know that, but aren't interested in him?"

At around midnight Serena was accompanied by the four college students, Yeena, Charliena, Jannine, and Cathy, that live on the other side of her. They almost felt like younger sisters to her and in which she may have grown a soft spot for. Serena invited them in to celebrate the holiday as the quartet were also away from home. The quintet gathered in Serena's living room after eating the leftover dinner and having a few drinks in-between with the sound of the TV playing a random show softly in the background. It was three in the morning and the group of five continued to drink as Serena glanced at them with an amused look. They were eager to know the answer.

"Are y'all really curious or just wanna gossip?"

"Both."

The quartet giggled.

"Then I'm not gonna answer."

"Aww, we were just kidding." Charliena answered with a pout.

"We won't tell him."

"Yeah." Yeena chimed in.

"It's just that he asks about you a lot to everyone during these complex parties."

Serena quirked an eyebrow.

"He does?"

The quartet nodded as Serena sighed.

"I'm not interested. He's a nice guy and means well, but I'm just not interested in dating."

"So, does that mean you want us to drop hints for him to learn that you're not into him?"

Jannine clarified in a serious tone. Serena chuckled with a wave of her hand.

"You can if you want. I just hope he's really not bothering the whole complex though like Yeena mentioned."

"Well, not really, per se." Yeena explained. "It's just us since we live on the other side of you."

"I see."

"Anyways, Serena," Charliena interjected, "We gotta get going. We have school stuff to do tomorrow."

"We do?"

The other three asked confused.

"Aren't we on holidays?"

Cathy asked to clarify. Charliena shot them a look.

"We agreed to help Mr. Chiller design the booth for our class for the Winter Festival. Remember?"

"Oh."

Serena chuckled as she backed up Charliena on their school duties.

"Alright, ladies, y'all should go to bed now so y'all can come up with great things for your school's Winter Festival since it's like four in the morning."

"If we get stuck, then can we come to you?" Jannine asked a moment later.

Serena nodded not really thinking that they would need her help.

"Yeah, sure."

"Could you come and visit, too?" Yeena added with a hopeful look.

"I'll think about it."

"Aww, c'mon."

The other whined as Serena chuckled.

"Just let me know the dates and I'll come if I'm available. Now, let's retired for the night or morning, whatever. I'm old and need my sleep."

The four laughed telling her otherwise that she's not that old before heading off to their own home. Serena watched them enter their apartment before closing her door. She did her nightly routine before settling comfortably into her bed. Some time later Serena fell fast asleep without being bugged by the felines like she normally would have been and was surprised they didn't show up when the quartet did come over. Soon Serena jolted awake to find herself lying on the futon in Melanie's hospital room instead of her own bed. Taamtu and Usakki gazed at her curiously while hovering overhead.

"How did you get here?" Usakki asked a moment later.

"I dunno."

Serena shrugged as she closed her eyes, slowly massaged her temples, and took a deep long breath. She opened her eyes and noticed it wasn't quite morning yet, but it wasn't totally dark either.

"The realms have been wonky lately. Is that how you got here?"

Taamtu asked as he reasoned on why and how she got here.

"Um, maybe. I really don't know."

Serena scratched her head as Taamtu came over and patted her head softly.

"Did you bumped your head?"

"No. I went to sleep after hanging out with my neighbors. We did drink."

"Hmm, may it's that."

Maybe. Anyways, I don't remember much before I got here either."

Serena wondered how she got here, but stopped thinking about it as it was no use. Serena made her way over to Melanie's bed, pulled one of the chairs closer, and grabbed Melanie's hand in a comforting manner.

"NiNi hasn't responded like before, but it's been peaceful."

Serena cast Usakki a tired smile and nodded in acknowledgement before watching Melanie not caring that she didn't have her things and was still in her sleeping wear. She would deal with that later and for now relished in the moment with Melanie. Taamtu placed a blanket over Serena while Usakki offered her a pillow. She thanked them before dozing off a moment later with the rabbits joining her shortly afterwards.

"NaNa."

Nerok sleepily called out her name.

"Your phone's buzzing."

Serena groaned as she stirred awake once she felt Nerok's paw tapped her on the check. She groggily and lazily swiped a hand to knock the feline's paw away while locating her phone, but couldn't feel it around anywhere. Serena's eyes fluttered open before squinting due to the dawn's early rays of sunlight coming through the window curtains. She fluttered her eyes a few times to wake herself before realizing she was back in her own bedroom with a frown. Serena wondered how she got back home and thought she was at the hospital with Melanie. She scanned her room and only saw Nerok sleeping on her bed and Maofah no where to be found.

"NaNa, your phone."

Came Nerok's voice and Serena ran a hand to scratch his head with a puzzled look.

"I know, Nerok, but I'm pretty sure I put it on 'do not disturbed' earlier."

"Well, it's not and it's buzzing loudly."

"Sorry, but I can't find it."

"I think it's on the living room table like always."

Nerok turned the other way and tucked himself into his body and went back to sleep. Serena smiled at the feline before exiting her room and entering the living room. Her phone buzzed and she answered the call after seeing it was Mint.

"Hello?"

"Good morning, Rena. Are you free tomorrow morning?"

"Hi, Mint, and I think so. Why?"

"Could you come help out at the shop?"

"Yeah, I think so. What time though?"

"Before opening at two."

"In the morning? Really, Mint?"

"Yes, it's to prep and all that opening stuff, but if you're unable to, then I'll figure it out and probably get Mond to come in instead."

"No, no. It's all good. I need the distraction."

"Is everything alright?"

Serena heard the worried tone in her friend's voice.

"Yeah, everything's fine, but I just feel like I need one, that's all."

"Remember that you've been out of it lately so are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I'll let you know if I'm not."

"Alright then. I'll see you tomorrow and I'll even make your favorite snack for you."

"Thanks, Mint."

"You're welcome. Anyways, see you in the A-M, Rena."

"See ya. Bye."

Just as Serena hung up did her phone flashed with Praya's name. Serena sat on the couch while answering the call.

"Hi, Praya. What's up?"

"Good morning, Rena."

Praya greeted her friend with a chuckle.

"Although I know you don't like mornings."

"Yeah, something like that."

Serena re-positioned herself into a cross-legged position.

"Anyways, why'd you call?"

"Oh, yeah."

Praya informed her why she had called.

"Are you free later today before your Thanksgiving' dinner thing?"

"Well, depends on how you see it. I was going to sleep in as it's a holiday."

"Oh. I see."

"Is it work-related?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. What about it?"

"I was wondering if you could help me out with  Zee and Tina."

Serena's brows furrowed.

"Weren't they working with Charebelle?"

"Yes, but Charebelle's out of town doing another shoot. You know Lydia, and as for Claudine, school stuff."

"I see."

"So yeah, that makes you the only one that's free right now to do it."

"Okay. That's fine. What time?"

"In less than two hours. I'll get you some snacks as a special treat, too."

"You better. Just send me the address and I'll meet you there."

"Done. See ya."

"See ya."

Serena checked the address and realized that it was at the park near Nizho University Hospital.

"Good. Great. Hold that pose. That's it. Lovely."

Serena praised in-between shots as she took photos of the couple in various poses and scene areas early in the morning at Royale Park.

"Ooh, I like this pose compare to the others. Nice."

The couple were around Serena's age with the bride, Tina, fighting cancer, and the groom, Zee, supporting her through this difficult time. The pair were having their wedding photoshoot outside the hospital due in part to Tina's condition as it had worsen from before. Tina's doctor urged for the couple to up the date sooner as Tina's condition remain unstable and didn't want to risk anything. Both Zee and Tina decided to do just that as they could hold the actual ceremony another time as their marriage was already registered through the court a week ago. Anyhow, the weather was still cool and a good chance to take advantage before it changed once December set in. Plus, everything was still in bloom and made for great late autumn and early winter photos.

"Alright, Zee, you're looking less nervous now as we go about this which is really good on your end," Serena commented with a small laugh, "And Tina, please don't be so cautious and shy as this is a special moment. Your smile is beautiful and no one can deny that!"

Serena continued to encourage them despite noticing Tina's body waning a bit. Then again, they've been at this for less than an hour, but have posed in various position to capture as many memories as much as possible.

"Okay, one more shot and we're done."

Serena announced with a laugh.

"Then I'm out of your hair and y'all can go back to whatever y'all were doing before I had to come."

"That sounds like a great idea." Zee agreed as Tina nodded.

"Okay, then. What would you guys like to do?"

Serena waited for the pair to decide on their final shoot for the morning.

"I'm home."

Serena said to the empty air. She awaited for some noise or a greeting, but nothing came.

"Huh? Not home again."

The felines were no where in sight once she returned home.

"The silence is comforting, but weird."

Serena went about her home like usual and ended up taking a nap, welcoming the quietness for a change.

november 30, 2019.  

Serena was asleep when her phone rang. She groggily got up to answer Praya's call.

"Yes, Lady Boss?"

Serena mused as Praya wasn't.

"What, no. Eww. Don't do that."

Praya told her before informing her why she called.

"Anyways, whenever you're free, Zee and Tina wanna do another little photoshoot before the year ends."

"Oh, do they not want to work with Charebelle now since that day?"

"No. Charebelle gave them to you."

"Wow."

"Yeah, it just makes it easier since Charebelle never actually started the work until yesterday."

"I see, but okay. I'll do it after I visit Melanie later today."

"Awesome. I'll meet you at Royale Park once I informed them of the details."

"Got it."

Serena ended the call and slumped into the soft cushions. She wasn't sure why she felt weird and out of sorts, but inhaled and exhaled slowly. Serena's attention went to her phone to check the time and her brows furrowed at the date.

"It's already the thirtieth and December starts tomorrow. Wow. Time sure flies when you're not paying attention to it."

Serena sat there staring off into space while letting her mind wander as she tried to figure out how she got back. She wondered if it was the bunnies' doing before letting her mind wandered again, but with nothing in mind. Some time later she felt taps to her left cheek and was brought back to focus.

"NaNa?"

Serena stared at Maofah hovering before her with a concerned look. She raised a brow.

"Hmm?"

"You good?" Maofah asked with a worried tone.

"I think so. Just tired. I guess."

She eyed him skeptically.

"Since when did you start caring?"

Maofah rolled his yes with a scoff.

"I care, but you're just too focus on Nerok to notice."

"Right."

"Anyways, did you eat and drink the snacks we sent you?"

"I did and slept so well that it's already the last day of November."

"Uh huh. Is Nerok asleep, too?"

"Yeah. He's in my room. Why? What's up?"

"No reason. Wanna grab an early breakfast without him?"

Serena eyed him as Maofah laughed before settling into her lap.

"I'm joking."

"Sure you are."

"Psh. As much I love to I hate when he cries and gives me those sad kitty eyes."

Serena chuckled as she petted the white feline.

"I know what you mean, but for real though. You need to stop teasing him so much."

"But he makes it easy."

"You're really no angel cat."

Maofah didn't comment, but instead wrapped into himself.

"Anyways," came Serena's voice in almost a whisper, "We'll visit Melanie later in the afternoon."

"Okay. Taamtu owes me peach rings from last time."

Serena laughed softly as she continued to lazily pet him before she herself fell asleep shortly after. This time around there were no more dream sequences for her to enter into. It was a peaceful and dreamless sleep for Serena.

"Alright, who brought these here and where did you get them?"

Serena held up a small clear bag filled with jewellery that she for sure knew did not belong to her or Melanie. Serena came to visit Melanie after leaving Everlast Memos' studio and came upon the small clear bag after changing out the flowers a while ago.

"Yeah, I'm out." Maofah said before poofing away with Nerok doing the same without saying a word.

"Taamtau? Usakki?"

Serena glanced at both rabbits who continued to play as plush dolls to not get scolded by the female. Both Maofah and Nerok had other realm business to care for despite wanting to come.

"Look, I'm not gonna get mad, but I do want these return to the rightful owner."

She eyed both rabbits with a calm look.

"We don't want them to think how it got here. So please tell me the truth."

Usakki poofed to his actual self while pointing at Taamtu.

"It was Taamtu."

Usakki disappeared just as Taamtu also poofed to his actual size.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. It was just so shiny and pretty."

"Calm down, Taamtu."

Serena reassured the brown bunny with a soft chuckle.

"And the skull looked cool and I thought that it would look good on me."

"Taamtu, you don't even have your ears pierced."

The brown rabbit stopped crying upon that realization.

"Oh, right."

Serena rolled her eyes, but cast a small smile at the rabbit.

"We'll talk later about getting you some clip-ons, okay?"

"Okay."

Serena then jingled the bag with a firm smile.

"Alright, Taamtu. So who do these belong to?"

"Well, you see...."

The brown rabbit sheepishly looked at her.

"Nurse Darin," Serena called for one of the nurse in care of her sister, "I found these and hope you could deliver it to the rightful owner."

Serena handed over the small baggie to the nurse once she read the Nurses' station. After Taamtu had told her who they belonged to she had written the room number in hopes that it would seem like it was misplaced and not just randomly picked up.

"Oh, thank you, Ms. Vorasavane."

Darin took the item with a smile before casting the same look at Serena.

"How are you feeling? Melanie'

Please log in to read the full chapter