home III

11tcr
Please log in to read the full chapter

december 1, 2019.  

"So, you're being discharged after this?"

"Mmhmm."

Minhyuk and Courtney were both having lunch with the curtain not separating them. Courtney had pulled it back during breakfast and felt since it was her last day in the hospital that she could tolerate her roommate. Now she was beginning to regret it.

"Will you come visit me?"

Courtney side-eyed him although the male was intently focused on the meal  before him.

"Um, no. Why would I?"

His head shot up to look at her.

"I thought we're friends now."

"No, we're not."

Courtney went back to eating her broccoli and bacon salad nonchalantly. Minhyuk pouted and went back to eating his chicken soup. For some odd reason the awkward silence began to bug her and she sighed.

"What makes you think we were friends?"

Minhyuk slightly beamed as he looked over at her.

"Because we're hospital buddies and roommates."

"That's it?"

"No. You're my junior, too."

Courtney eyed him again.

"Junior for what?"

"You did go to Kevalee High School and were a part of the Sports Club even for just one year before I graduated that year, too. Also the fact that you still attend Northern Nizho University, so that makes you my junior there, too."

Minhyuk cast her a charming smile, but Courtney wasn't phased by it.

"And your point is?"

Minhyuk's smile faltered, but he recovered.

"We knew one another."

"Of one another, but that was in the past. We don't really know each other now."

"We could change that."

"Yeah, no, I don't think so."

"Why not?"

Courtney went back to her food not responding leaving Minhyuk to make a face as he, too, went back to his food. Their moment of silence was interrupted when visitors for both knocked on the door. It was the same group of friends for Minhyuk while for Courtney it was just her sister. The trio were just as lively as previously while Sophie shot her sister an amused and playful look. Courtney shook her head to not ask, but gave her a puzzled look when she sat in the empty chair by her bed.

"Weren't you supposed to be away?"

"They allowed me to re my own a day earlier because of school tomorrow."

"You just wanted to be here when I was discharged, huh?"

Sophie giggle with a nod. Courtney shot her a small smile.

"Thanks."

"What are little sisters for?"

"To be annoying."

Courtney teased as Sophie mocked gasp.

"By the way, how did you know I was being discharge today? Only a few people knew."

"I overheard Mom talking to John about it. The both of them didn't seem too happy about it."

"I wouldn't doubt it."

"Anyways," Sophie directed the topic elsewhere, "I brought you a jacket as it's been quite windy lately."

"Thanks."

"Welcome and also to celebrate your leaving the hospital, look what I got!"

Sophie held a large bag containing treats from Orbit Cafe.

"Desserts this early in the morning?"

"Nothing's wrong with that."

"Whoa. Are those from that cafe near Kevalee High School?"

Someone had asked upon recognizing the logo on the bag.

"Yes! Would you guys like some, too?"

"Yes, please!"

Sophie happily handed out said treats to the group as Courtney watched her sister easily converse with the group with a small smile. Minhyuk noticed when he happened to look over at Courtney and a small smile graced his face before biting into one of the baked goods handed to him.

"Just call me about anything. Okay?"

Sophie cast her sister a concern look as Courtney brushed her off once the two made it to Courtney's home.

"I'm fine, Soph, but I will. Thanks for accompanied home."

"If I didn't, then you wouldn't have gotten in."

Sophie mused as the sisters laughed and Courtney bid her a goodbye with a smile. Once the door was closed Courtney sighed deeply. It was true that the only thing Courtney took home were just the clothes and jewellery she wore and had arrived at the hospital with besides her mobile device that Sophie had brought along as an afterthought. She looked about her apartment and all seemed to be in place, but knew the landlord would add the excessive water and damages to this month's rent.

Luckily, she didn't have to foot the hospital bill, but that meant she still owed her parents some way and some how. Although she wondered if this was out of parental duty or if they still cared for her. For now she was worried that without a job she wouldn't be able to pay rent and afford other things from here on out. Courtney sighed again before becoming alert. She thought she heard the sound of bells chiming and shivered as if a cold breeze had settled. She glanced about her in alert mode and stood to spring into action if needed.

"Don't worry, I'm not here to harm you, but to assist your soul."

Courtney whipped her head to a floating black with dark pink streak and ends haired Cupid Serena wearing a pinkish and white with blue bows rufflle-like dress. Courtney did a once over on the person before her and noticed that she was floating. She wondered if she was from another century or something with the way she was dressed. Then she recalled what the woman had said.

"Assist my soul? What do you mean and who are you?"

"Hmm, maybe this will ring a bell?"

Cupid Serena slowly spun around as her attire changed from a pastel look to a black and dark gray lace dress with burnt orange hair. Courtney remembered the image.

"You appeared in my dream. So it wasn't a hallucination."

"No, it wasn't."

"And..."

Courtney was afraid to ask about Patricia.

"She wanted to visit you that day you received the flowers."

"But?"

"She had some other things to take care of."

"Is she..."

Courtney didn't want to finish the sentence.

"Your friend's soul is still around just not right now."

"I see. That's good."

"For now. Anyways, Patricia hoped you liked the flowers and card she sent."

A small smile graced Courtney's face.

"I did."

She had Sophie place them in a vase earlier when they returned.

"Um, do you think I'll be able to see her soon?"

Before Grim Reaper Serena could answer Courtney the sound of the two rabbits poofed into the living room riding on two of the hellhounds got their attention. Nerok came shortly afterwards doing the same with Daeng. Maofah appeared in a huff a second later.

"No fair. I was the one that was supposed to come first while riding Kiao not Taamtu."

A mini argument erupted between the seven familiars. Courtney stared at them having no idea what was going on, but was more weirded out that the animals could speak and appeared human-like. She figured she was in another hallucination or a dream and that this was just her imagination messed up by the pills she took before coming home. Grim Reaper Serena rubbed her face before giving out orders.

"Maofah, go home."

"But I-"

"Please go."

Maofah grumbled before poofing away in white smoke.

"Daeng. I don't need you for this one. You can go, too."

"Okay."

The hellhound poofed away in red smoke without a fuss as Nerok landed on the floor due to Daeng leaving.

"Okay, so now where were we?"

The grim reaper turned her attention onto a spaced out Courtney.

"Courtney Park."

"Yes?"

Courtney snapped out of her.

"Do you wish to continued on living?"

"Oh, yeah, that. I dunno anymore. I just feel tired."

She slumped back onto her couch with a heavy sigh.

"I thought I was at the moment, but I was saved somehow and I dunno how to feel."

Courtney glanced at Grim Reaper Serena and admired her dress.

"Do you think I can wear that dress of yours? Or maybe something similar? Or even like the first one you wore earlier?"

The grim reaper snapped her fingers and Courtney's current attire changed into a mix of both dresses made of pink-colored lace and grayish ruffles. It started out bright up top, but tone down as it went down. The bows were a dark gray and blue.

"Does that make you feel better?" Grim Reaper Serena inquired.

"Yes, but no. I still have this ache in my chest."

Courtney suddenly felt a weight in her lap as Taamtu settled himself there and gave her a hug.

"Does this make it go away?" He asked a second later.

Courtney was a little surprised, but awkwardly petted the bunny.

"A little."

"How about now?"

Nerok had joined in on the hugging inhaled her scent.

"Wow, you smell like fresh grass and summer heat."

"I do?"

"Mmhmm."

Courtney cast Nerok a small smile as she petted the black cat.

"The hug is a bit better, but not quite."

Soon Usakki, Naam and Kiao joined in causing Courtney to laugh at the unexpectedness. The grim reaper watched with a wry smile.

"Yeah, they're really good at this kind of stuff."

Courtney looked over at her with a small smile.

"I can see why. Anyways, are you here to take me away?"

"Not yet."

Grim Reaper shook her head as she snapped her fingers once again. The familiars backed off and stood on the floor by Courtney's feet. Usakki hopped onto Courtney's lap to leave a vial filled of white substance.

"I'm Usakki and this ELIXIR in your care will give you energy when you're feeling down or tired. You can take mini sips or drink it whole, but once it's gone it's gone."

Usakki hopped up and poofed away in a cloud of whitish smoke. Taamtu hopped into Courtney's lap next and placed a small bag onto her lap.

"Hi. I'm Taamtu. In your case, these five RICE CAKES will work as mini wishes that you desire. Of course, please wish carefully and wisely as they'll backfire if you don't wish it thoroughly and it'll come out as something different than you wished for."

Courtney nodded as Taamtu poofed away in a cloud of brownish smoke. Naam came forward and softly hopped onto her lap and placed a black stone gently on it.

"I'm Naam and in your case of the STONE, it will turn into five mini gemstones that you're able to eat while making tiny wishes."

He stretched his limbs as Courtney petted the arch of his back which Naam quite liked before speaking again.

"Just like Taamtu, wish your wishes thoroughly. It will backfire if you don't and they'll come out differently than you had originally wished for."

Naam poofed away in a puff of blue smoke leaving Kiao to present the last of the items. Kiao placed the tiny gold coin in Courtney's lap.

"This COIN will be your most desired, yet hardest wish that you'll ever make in the end while in your care once all the rice cakes and gemstones are used up," Kiao informed, "But if you're not in want of it, then the right time will presents itself or when you're in dire need of it when you don't think you won't, then it'll activate on its own accord to aid you when you least expect it."

Kiao soon disappeared in a puff of green smoke leaving only the grim reaper, Nerok, and Courtney in the living room. Courtney just stared at the items lost in thoughts. Her eyes glanced at Nerok a moment later.

"What about you?"

Nerok fluttered and settled beside her.

"I come as support and if necessary as a backup."

The black feline nuzzled against her side and Courtney almost teared, but remain calm.

"Thank you."

"Heed their words and followed their instructions well." Grim Reaper Serena reminded Courtney as she nodded while looking over at her.

"I will."

"Please make sure that these items stay in your care and to never lose sight of them."

She noticed the grim reaper's gaze.

"The consequence of another mortal finding it will be insurmountable so please don't be careless of them. Do you understand, Courtney Park?"

"Yes..."

Courtney remembered she never learned her name.

"Um, what do I call you?"

"You may call me Reaper V or Cupid V." Grim Reaper Serena answered.

"She goes by Cupid Reaper, too."

Nerok offered with a chuckle as Grim Reaper Serena continued.

"Or you can just think of me and I'll answer your call."

"Okay."

Courtney still looked at the items skeptically.

"Is there something else that needs to be done?"

Courtney watched as a gray file appeared before her.

"Your hand, please."

Courtney offered her left hand as she slightly winced when she felt a small sting to her index finger. She watched a tiny pool of blood appeared and Grim Reaper Serena firmly took her pricked finger and placed it against the open page of the gray file still hovering in front of her.

"It's done."

"Um," Courtney was unsure how to go about asking, but went with it, "Do you think you could help me with a small wish?"

"Like what?"

Courtney opened the bag of rice cake and pulled out a small brown circular rice puffed before looking at the grim reaper.

"What if I wished for money?"

"You can."

"I can?"

"Mmhmm."

"But, what about the consequences?"

"Oh, depending on the amount and how you go about it, it'll come after."

"Is it worth it?"

"That will depend on you."

"Do you need money, Ms. Summer Grass?" Nerok asked a moment later.

Courtney cocked a brow at the nickname, but answered the feline.

"Uh, honestly, yes. I don't have a job and need to go looking for one."

"Oh, why not wish to find a job?"

Nerok looked at Grim Reaper Serena.

"Wouldn't that be better to wish for money, NaNa?"

"It is."

Nerok smiled at Courtney.

"Eat the rice cake and wished that you could find a good job that pays well or jobs with good hours and work environment. Something like that."

"Thanks..."

Courtney trailed off as Nerok answered with a grin.

"Nerok!"

"Thanks, Nerok. Do I say it out loud or in my head or something?"

"Either way works."

"Here it goes."

Courtney still felt awkward and so stated the wish in her head as she ate the puffed treat in one bit. She wished to find a job that had flexible hours with good co-workers and could help her have a better social life. She chewed, swallowed, and waited. Nothing happened.

"Um, when do I know if it worked?"

"That depends on its own accord, but it shouldn't be that long."

The grim reaper responded as she glanced at Nerok.

"You can stay with her for tonight, Nerok, but that's it."

"Otay!"

Nerok agreed with a grin as he nuzzled closer to Courtney.

"He likes anything strawberry flavored."

Was the last word the grim reaper spoke before de-materializing away leaving Courtney puzzled. Nerok glanced at her innocently.

"Do you wanna try a wish with a gemstone now?"

december 2, 2019. 

"Hi, um, my card didn't work for some reason, but am I able to exchange large bills for smaller bills here?" Courtney asked Tianya.

"Yes, you're able to." Tianya answered.

"May I see your bank card, please?"

Courtney handed over the card as Tianya examined the plastic item.

"The chip reader's isn't working, so the card will no longer work."

"Oh."

"Now may I have your I-D, please."

Courtney passed her ID over as well.

"Would you like for another card to be issue to you through mail or would you like to wait here for it, Ms. Park?" Tianya asked while inputting her information.

"Mail is fine." Courtney answered.

"Noted."

Once Tianya inputted the information she glanced at Courtney.

"How much will you be exchanging and in which denominations?"

"Uh, five hundred dollars and may I have thirty dollars worth in fives, fifty dollars worth in tens, and deposit the rest?" Courtney responded.

"Yes, you may and perfect."

Courtney handed over the sum of money in an envelope towards Tianya. She waited patiently for the transaction to complete. When Courtney awoke earlier this morning Nerok was gone, but she found a white envelope with the five hundred dollars i

Please log in to read the full chapter