forbidden love I

11tcr
Please log in to read the full chapter

december 3, 2019.  

Ariel was in the midst of watching a drama on her laptop when her hand phone rang.

"Hello?"

The call was from her father as she conversed with him and watched the leads on the monitor before her.

"I already ate dinner."

"I don't know if he's eaten yet."

"No, we didn't hang out today at all."

"I snack when watching something."

"It's some semi-popular drama."

"I dunno if it has romance. Don't worry about my love life, Ba."

"Switzerland's fine."

"Okay. Don't stay out too long. Make sure you get home safely. You know how much everyone worries about you."

"Good night, Ba."

Ariel hung up not knowing that this will be the last phone call and conversation she would have with her father.

Raymond was waiting outside in an obscure area of the city for someone related to his business late in the night. He had sent Xiaobing on an errand to retrieve some midnight snacks as awaited for the person to show. Just as Rayond checked his watch for the nth time he was struck from behind with a blunt object. Raymond fell against the concrete ground with a soft grunt. He managed to turn his head to face the culprit, but his view was askew due to the lack of lighting and the person's figured looming over him. The figure raised his arm with the blunt object and struck Raymond once more causing him to black out.

"Sorry, Dragon Head, but," The unknown figure spoke in a nonchalant manner with an unapologetic tone while shrugging, "It's just business and your new way isn't my style."

The figure eventually gathered up Raymond's body and transported him into a nearby vehicle before driving the both of them to another location. A couple of minutes later Xiaobing showed up with coffee and treats, but found no one in sight. He rushed to the area as he was also supposed to be on the lookout, but Raymond was long gone and a very small pool of blood stained on the concrete. His heart sank of the possibility.

"Uncle. Please be alright."

Xiaobing left immediately, but remembered the promised he made to Raymond and drove to Ariel's home.
 

december 4, 2019. 

"Who found the boss first?"

Li Chen, Raymond's right hand man, asked once he entered the main boss' room with two others already inside when he arrived at the Red Dragons' headquarters.

"I did."

Chen He, a rank below Li Chen, answered while motioning at another same rank member, Zheng Kai.

"Him and I came to have a word with the boss about the new recruitment, but he didn't answer when we knocked."

Zheng Kai explained further.

"We noticed the boss' car parked to the side and assumed he was in. Then we found him like that and immediately called you."

Li Chen nodded with a sigh while looking at their messy surrounding. Raymond's body was oddly slumped against his table with his blood pooled around him from a gunshot wound to the back of the head.

"Should we call the Young Miss about this?" Zheng Kai asked a moment later.

Li Chen shook his head while holding up a hand.

"We cannot let her see the boss like this."

"Then what about that newbie, Xiaobing?"

"He's nothing to worry about. We need to figure out who did this first."

"I bet it were those mangy Blue Tigers."

Chen He reasoned with a snarl as his hand curled into a fist.

"I've noticed their underlings scoping out our areas the past few months."

"Zheng Kai, tell Yanlin to call Dr. Zhu, to inspect the boss' body."

Li Chen ordered acting fast.

"What would you like me to do?"

Chen He stood erect awaiting orders.

"You, Deng Chao, and Lu Han clean up the office and scope the areas that the Blue Tigers have been visiting."

"And you, sir?"

"As Boss Li's right hand man, I will make all the necessary arrangements as the substitute Dragon Head until we can get everything settled."

It was late in the afternoon when Ariel barged into the building of the triad she was a part of and the one her father ran. All the underlings became alert of her presence, but avoided making eye-contact. She marched through the building until she reached her father's office and entered without knocking.

"Where is he?"

Ariel asked when she saw Li Chen sitting on one of the sofas where her father held his private client meetings and talks.

Li Chen glanced over before returning to the documents before him.

"Dr. Zhu is examining the boss and won't have results until tomorrow morning."

Ariel's breath hitched upon hearing the news. That couldn't be right. She just spoke to her father several hours ago. He was alive when she last spoke to him. It was all a joke. It had to be a joke.

"Who did it?"

Ariel asked a moment later after regaining her composure and trying to remain calm as possible.

"We don't know yet, but we're following possible leads."

Li Chen answered pausing from the documents he was reading to look at Ariel.

"Just tell me and I'll take care of it myself."

"Don't wo-"

"He was my father and I want to deal with whoever that did this to him."

"Alright, alright, just let me get everything settled first then I'll let you handle that once we get all the information needed."

A part of Ariel calmed down, but the rest was unsettled.

"Who will take over in my father's stead?"

Li Chen gave her a pointed look.

"In the mean time it will be me. As for you, we'll try to see how things go before other actions are done."

Ariel nodded although not feeling all that settled.
 

december 5, 2019. 

"Ba..."

Ariel didn't want to believe the lifeless body lying on the steel table was her father. Didn't want to believed he was gone from the world and her life. There were so many things the both of them still hadn't done together and conversations left to continued. Sure her father was part of the triad business and dealt with criminal activities, but that didn't make him a bad person, per se. He was a compassionate man that provided for his family, his employees, and the members of his syndicate. He punished those that betrayed the triad or outsiders that wronged him and or the underground business. Her father, despite his rough background gave Ariel a chance of life and taught her all the things he could.

"My condolences, Young Miss." Dr. Zhu bowed in respect before speaking further. "Dragon Head Li died instantly from the shot to the head."

Ariel inhaled sharply as Yawen continued.

"His death was quick, but unfortunately a few hours before his death, Young Miss, Dragon Head Li received two blows to the head causing him to suffer a bit before he went unconscious."

Ariel's jaws clicked in distaste upon hearing the words.

"So the culprit was a coward and killed my father after he was unconscious."

"It appears so, Young Miss."

"Do you know what was used to knock him out, Dr. Zhu?"

"I can't say for sure, but I will let you know when I have more information, Young Miss."

"Thank you, Dr. Zhu."

The doctor, Yawen, bowed once more and left the room to give Ariel time with her father.

"Ba..."

Ariel moved closer while pulling one of the chairs closer to the table. She sat by him with a determined look.

"I will pay back a hundredfold to whoever did this to you."

Ariel vowed vengeance.

"They will not escape my mercy and will watch with their own eyes the torture that lies before them."

Later that day Ariel pressed for information from Li Chen. He was still working on gathering anything concrete to work with, but it wasn't good enough. The only thing she got out of him was that the culprit could've been someone sent from one of their four top rival gangs. Ariel urged him to work faster and harder before leaving. Li Chen was not amused on how to do his job.
 

december 6, 2019. 

"Watch your driving, you idiot."

Li Chen barked at one of the underlings, Liang Hui, driving the car he and Ariel were inside of.

"Sorry, sir." Liang Hui apologized before explaining.

"But the car in front of us keeps breaking."

"Then drive around it, you halfwit."

"Every time I move over the black car in front also moves in front of me."

Li Chen sighed angrily as Ariel kept calm.

"It's okay, Liang Hui. Just make a left at the light and we'll re-route."

"Yes, Young Miss."

Liang Hui did as told although Li Chen appeared a bit annoyed by the sudden change. Just as their car moved forward the light had turned in to a blinking yellow light leaving them the first in the left turning lane. Liang Hui inched forward to slowly make the turn, but instead waited it out as other cars continued to drive on by due to their right of way. By the time the blinking stopped and had become a solid yellow it would have been smart to not make the left turn, but the car behind them slammed them from behind causing the trio's car to move forward onto oncoming traffic from the opposite end.

Before Liang Hui could control the car into a safer position he was rear-ended from behind by the same black car again causing their vehicle to be pushed further up. Just as Li Chen opened his mouth to bark at Liang Hui another car crashed them from the side inadvertently causing more cars to ram into one another. Eventually it halted traffic from all sides causing no other vehicles to be able to move forward. Ariel ached from the sudden whiplashes as she assessed her surrounding as best as she could. The black car that hit them from behind sped off not wanting to be involved with a hit and run.

"Drive." Li Chen ordered Liang Hui.

"But, sir, I-"

"I said drive! Now drive! Chase after the car that hit us first, you dunce!"

Liang Hui instinctively pressed on the gas to accelerate forward, but ended up hitting another vehicle that came from from the opposite end of them leaving them with another case of whiplash. Ariel clicked her tongue at the situation before reaching for her phone in her pocket to make a call.

"Hello, Dr. Zhu. Please proceed with the embalming. We'll be there as soon as possible."

Ariel hung up and accessed their surroundings. This was such a mess. They needed to leave as soon as possible before the authories arrived.

"We narrowed it down to be our greatest enemy, the Blue Tigers."

Li Chen informed Ariel which got her attention.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. We sent one of our highest lower rank to go undercover, but he was almost found out and now we have no way to know which person did the deed. We have to send someone stronger, but unknown member to not alarm the enemy's radar. Someone with rage filled withi-"

"I'll do it." Ariel offered.

"No, we cannot do that."

"Why not? I'm qualified."

"But you're th-"

"Daughter or not, it is my right to avenge his death and for our gang."

"As you wish, Young Miss."

"I just need to find a way to infiltrate the Blue Tigers' headquarters"

"There's word that a recruitment is being conducted in six days."

"Great. We'll talk more once this gets cleared."

She looked at the driver.

"Liang Hui, do you think you can drive us out of here?"

"I believe so, Young Miss."

"Alright, proceed with caution."

december 7, 2019. 

Ariel was walking the streets of the shopping center after purchasing things for her father's funeral when she sensed someone following her, but kept their distance. It wasn't Xiaobing because they parted a few minutes ago when she told him she wanted time alone and he reluctantly agreed. Ariel continued on her leisurely walk not wanting her pursuer to know that she acknowledged their presence. Ariel discreetly scanned the many shops ahead of her and entered the gelateria she remembered visiting with her dad several days ago.

"Good afternoon. Welcome to sweet deliciousness!"

It was Courtney and another worker that greeted Ariel in a polite tone. Ariel walked up to the counter while gazing at the menu.

"Is this your first time at Minito Gelato?"

"Um, no, but it's my second time. What's your special today, Courtney?"

Ariel asked noticing her nametag just as she heard the sound of the bell chimed on the door a moment later and knew her pursuer had entered the gelato shop as well.

"Today's special is a slice of mooey gooey twist cake served with a side of mocha chip gelato and salted caramel pudding along with our small vanilla shake with whipped cream on top."

Courtney answered the words she memorized for today's special.

"Would you like the special?"

"Um, yeah sure. I'll try it."

"Anything else for you?"

"No."

Courtney rang up Ariel's order.

"Alright, that would be fifteen dollars and twenty-one cents."

Ariel handed her card to the cashier as she swiped it and handed it back to her.

"Your guest number is eighteen and your order will be out with you shortly."

Courtney placed the number in front of Ariel.

"Thank you."

Ariel took the number and walked to an empty table where she could sit as to view the whole gelateria easily. She pulled out her phone to keep busy as her mind calculated everything within Minito Gelato. Her pursuer was male and sounded like someone her age. He was tall and had a medium build, but she couldn't tell anything else as he was covered up from head to toe. Besides the two of them and the four workers of the shop there were three others inside. The trio were three female high school students. The staff members were three young females and a young male. The other occupant besides her was the man making him stand out compare to the others.

Ariel mentally noted that there was only one way in and out of the place which was at the front of the store besides the one door she assumed led to the back of the shop. She assessed all possibilities that occurred if the unknown male tried to do something. Ariel observed when the masked male sat a few tables from her after ordering. She wondered if he was recently recruited by the way he was dressed as he wore clothing suited for a casual lazy day. She knew that no person of the underground business would wear something as bright as a yellow hoodie with a yellow duck on it as it would instantly attract attention onto them instantly.

"Here you go, ma'am." Courtney announced her presence as she placed a tray onto the table.

"Sorry for the wait."

"It's fine. Thanks." Ariel told her with a curt smile.

"You're welcome and enjoy."

Ariel nodded in thanks as Courtney took the number and went back to the front counter to tend to two other customers which were an elderly woman and her caretaker. Ariel pretended to be interested in the small desserts before her and was surprised that the salted caramel pudding tasted delicious. Her attention was soon drawn to another worker as the woman had dropped the tray she was carrying to the male customer.

"Wow! You're Yilong Zhu! I can't believe you're really here!"

"Yilong Zhu?!" Two of the high school trio exclaimed upon hearing the near. "Is it true?"

"Who?" The last of the trio asked in confusion while her two friends gasped in shocked.

"How could you not know who he is, Kyungeun?"

"Yeah, Kyungeun. He's like totally hot right now and rising!"

Ariel witnessed the two high school girls that knew of the celebrity scampering on over to him as he had unmasked and took off his sunglasses to enjoy his dessert.

"Mint! Courtney! Mond! Look. We have a superstar in the shop!"

The worker announced happily as she looked on over to her colleagues.

"Your store will be buzzing with this news, Mint!"

Mint rushed over and whispered something for only the employee to hear which caused the woman to rush on to the back part of the store and out of sight. Ariel witnessed Mint informing the two high schoolers that they needed to return to their seats or leave her shop if they continued to stand around the man again. The duo reluctantly obliged as the man cast a grateful look at Mint. She shot him a pleasant smile before heading towards both Courtney and Mond telling them something as she disappeared into the back of the shop. Clearly to speak with the other woman.

Mond re-did and re-delivered Yilong his order while Courtney cleaned the mess. Ariel's shoulders slightly relaxed after learning that the man was not out to get her. Maybe her nerves and senses were amiss due to the death of her father. Still, Ariel kept up her guard as she ate the rest of the pudding. She took the rest to go. When she left Minito Gelato her senses picked up that she was indeed being followed, but her pursuer backed off when she walked towards their path instead of browsing the plaza some more. Later she met up with Xiaobing and he asked if she was alright. She brushed him off.
 

december 8, 2019. 

Please log in to read the full chapter