014; dad, you there?

11tcr
Please log in to read the full chapter

december 1, 2019.  

Serena was currently standing behind the counter of Minito Gelato at four in the morning with Christmas carols playing quietly overhead in the shop. It was only the first few hours of the day of December and Serena was already done with the month and wanted the new year to come in already. She forgot how much her friend always went out during the holidays with specials and decorations. Serena tried her best to convince Mint to not let her wear the dumb elf hat, but here she was wearing the green and red hat with small bells on it as a fake smile graced her lips. She also wore a light jacket not realizing that the weather became chillier than normal.

Mint's shop hours were not your typical hours for a gelateria. Minito Gelato operated from four in the morning to nine in the morning, then again in the afternoon from one to four, and opened later from six in the evening to one in the morning. Minito Gelato operated seven days a week regardless of holidays and special events unless stated otherwise. The shop also sold other things like baked goods among one of them which happened to be just as popular as the gelato themselves. In truth Serena didn't really mind. It was more like she got drained from serving the customers and having to deal with them through constant interactions. The bell on the door jingled indicating a customer either entered or left.

"Hello. Welcome to sweet deliciousness."

The store's typical greeting was spoken when customers entered. Serena used her fake yet polite-like voice while forcing a smile on her face.

"What can I get started for you?"

She followed up when they approached the counter.

"Our today's special is the peppermint chip mini cookies served with a side of eggnog gelato and fruit cake pudding along with our large hot chocolate with our in house marshmallow whipped cream on top."

She suggested upon their wandering gaze knowing that they were first timers.

"Can you sound anymore fake?"

Serena heard Maofah commented from below as he and Nerok were chilling by her feet as they ate another helping of today's special. Serena slightly kicked the feline playfully as her focus remained on the two customers before her. They were Raymond and Ariel. Maofah made a face at Serena, but rubbed the sore spot while Nerok laughed at his friend as he continued eating.

"Yeah, could I get two orders of the special for today, please."

Raymond ordered while taking out his wallet not notcing his daughter eyeing him with a judging gaze.

"You don't even like eggnog, Ba."

"There's a first time for everything, Ariel."

He chuckled as Ariel rolled her eyes, but a hint of a smile showed itself before Ariel faced Serena.

"Actually, just one order of the special for him. I would like the smallest mocha gelato that you have, please."

"Will do and that brings your total to fourteen dollars and fifty-two cents."

Serena totaled up their order as she took Ariel's father's credit card and swiped it before handing it back to him.

"Your guest number is fifty-one. Please have a seat anywhere you like and your order will be out with you shortly."

Serena informed them while handing them a number stand.

"Thank you."

The duo said as Ariel grabbed the stand and the pair went to find an open spot.

"So what's the special occassion, Ba?"

Ariel asked once she and her father were settled.

"What ever do you mean, Ariel?"

Raymond asked nonchalantly, but Ariel wasn't a fool.

"Ba. Xiaobing isn't even here, to which I don't mind, but we've never been on this side of Praumitse before just for a stroll or business."

"I can't take my lovely daughter out some days for fun?"

Raymond's manner made Ariel slightly suspicious, but didn't say anything.

"I can't treat my daughter to dessert some times because I feel like it?"

Ariel crossed her arms over her chest as she leaned back in her chair and gave her dad a look after he had said that. Raymond finally admitted the real reason on why they were there.

"Fine, you caught me. Here you go."

Her father pulled a small and black rectangle box from out of his coat pocket and slid the tiny yet slim container towards his daughter.

"Happy birthday."

"You do know that it was nine days ago, right?"

Ariel mused as he father nodded.

"Yes, I do, but you know the business keeps me busy and I lose track of time."

"Right. That's why I had to spend it with Xiaobing instead."

"He told me that you two had quite an adventure."

"All the women, young and old, wouldn't stop fussing and swooning over him."

She shot her father a pointed look.

"For a so-called bodyguard, he was pretty flustered."

"He's learning. Anyways, he informed me that the massage was divine and had a great hot spring with medicinal healing."

"It did, but we didn't do any of that together if he told you that we did though."

"He did tell me that it all individual activities for a majority of it."

Ariel grumbled, but stared at the black box although she didn't touch it. Raymond firmly urged her.

"Anyways, please. Go ahead. Open it."

Ariel leaned closer to the table and moved the rectangular box towards her before slowly opening to see that it was a necklace inside of it. She pulled out the simple looking jewellery while tenderly holding on to the pear-shaped object at the base of the platinum chain. It was a black onyx gemstone with a ruby dragon placed on one side and the letter 'A' also made of ruby on the other. Ariel looked at her father skeptically.

"Do you like it?" Her father asked with a netural tone.

"I do, but-"

"Oh, good."

Her father interrupted her.

"Don't ask questions. Just for now, wear it at all times."

Ariel did as told and put on the necklace. Her father beamed at the sight of it all. Something she found amusing since he never behaved like this in public as he was a stoic and ruthless man, but had compassion for those around him if deemed worthy of it. It kind of threw her off once again, but brushed it aside when Serena stopped by to deliver them their order.

"Hello. Sorry for the slight wait, but please do enjoy."

Serena told them with another force smile while taking the number away.

"Would there be anything else for you?"

"No, thank you." Father and daughter said as Raymond looked at Ariel with a smile.

"Okay, just let me know if you do need anything."

Serena walked off leaving the pair to their own doings.

"Eat before I have to tend to some business. I may not have time to spend with you after this, especially this time of the year as there are some things I would like to take care of before the new year begins."

Ariel wanted to ask her father what was on his mind as he's been busier than normal. She dismissed it while taking a bite of her mocha gelato and was surprised by the delicious taste of it.

"But don't worry. Xiaobing will be around for you to call upon."

Raymond reminded his daughter as Ariel scowled, but didn't comment.

"Wow. This is excellent. Have to bring some back to the rest."

"I concur, except for Xiaobing."

"Ariel."

She didn't respond, but they shared a smile between them. The duo quietly ate the rest of it and Serena briefly watched them before bringing her attention onto the next customer that just walked in.

"Hello. Welcome to sweet deliciousness." Serena repeated for the nth time as Maofah commented on her fakeness once again before receiving another light kick to shut up.
 

december 4, 2019. 

Taehyung was standing off to the side with a face mask on as he watched Sinjai dissect the female corpse on the metal table. Jiyeon took notes as Sinjai dictated what she was doing while performing on the body.

"Ayana Shahab, female. Is of mix Arab and Japanese descent. Age, twenty-two years old. Height, one hundred and sixty-three centimeters. Weighs approximately..."

A second later Taehyung faintly heard a slight ringing sound as he quickly, but discreetly massaged his left temple to ease the headache that would form whenever his 'moments' occurred. It subsided a few seconds later. Taehyung casually looked to the left and right of him to see if the spirit was nearby. He noticed the female ghost of Ayana Shahab standing over her own lifeless body with an expression of regret. She lifted her head and slowly gazed at the male. Shortly afterwards the spirit hovered beside Taehyung in a solemn demeanor.

'It grew dark and they were falling like rain."

She spoke as he didn't move his head to indicate that someone was next to him. He whispered softly enough for the other two to not overhear.

"What do you mean?"

"The fishes."

"Fishes? I'm sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about."

Ayana turned to focus her attention on Taehyung.

"When I was standing on one of the tree's branches ready to take my own life by hanging myself with this pinkish checkered scarf after taking sleeping pills, these fishes came out of nowhere and surprised me. I fell down and bumped my head hard."

"Oh, you died due to a head contusion?"

"I think so. It's still kinda fuzzy."

Ayana sighed as she continued to watch her own autopsy.

"I took the sleeping pills to lessen the pain, but I was still conscious enough to notice the weird incident happening at the same time.

"I see."

Taehyung eyed the ghost before returning his gaze onto the autopsy as well.

"Is there something that you regret since you're still wandering after your death?"

"Yes."

She replied in a sad tone.

"I realized that taking my own life meant that I was weak and let my emotions cloud my judgement."

"What do you mean?"

"A group of my friends and I invested foolishly into a product. We got scammed. Later we found out too late causing us to be in major debt. The horrible thing was that one of those friends were in on it and was the girlfriend of the guy that was selling the product."

Taehyung frowned upon hearing her response.

"Do you remember the person's name that scammed you or the friend?"

"No. Their names evades me and I can't recall a lot of things."

The detective stayed quiet before speaking again.

"Is there something that you would like me to do to help you move on?"

"I got my wish granted, so there's nothing else left for me to do."

Before he could ask her what she meant Ayana recalled something.

"Oh, wait. There is one thing. Could you make sure my dad dress me in the long pastel pink dress with ruffles at the bottom of it?"

A thoughtful smiled appeared on Ayana's face.

"My father tried really hard to raise me on his own and provided for me as best as he could. Still, to discover that he outlived his own child must be heartbreaking. So I want to wear that dress as it was a very special gift from him for my twenieth birthday. I want him to know that he was the best father that I could have ever have and in the next life I want to be reborn as his child again."

Before Taehyung could agree to her request his attention was called by Jiyeon.

"Detective Kim."

"Yes, Dr. Seo?"

"Dr. Plengpanich is done with her dictation report."

The younger woman informed him as Ayana hovered in-between them.

"And since you're already here, could you deliver the report to the Special Section?"

Jiyeon handed him the file while Taehyung took the file with a confused look.

"Special Section?"

"Yes. The unit is an extension of the First Division. Their have their own floor dedicated on the fourth level."

"Detective Winfield didn't mentioned anything about a Special Section unit."

"Yeah, well, everyone always does that. No one likes to mention them, like they don't like mentioning about us."

Jiyeon shot him a wink before casting him a look of concern.

"Anyways, how are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling fine. Why do you ask?"

He questioned wondering why the topic was changed.

"I noticed earlier you were holding the side of your head. Then you zoned out just now."

"Oh, I'm fine. Thanks for your concern, Dr. Seo."

He smiled behind his mask although his ears became alert when he heard a soft tinkling and chiming kind of sound that sent a tingling feeling down his spine. He also caught a whiff of a faint flowery fragrant, but before he could search for the source Jiyeon continued speaking.

"Okay, please ask for Special Agent Lewis. Do let her know that the rest of it will be sent over by the end of today."

"Alright, thanks. I'll do that now."

Taehyung gave Jiyeon a curt nod although his eyes discreetly scanned the area. He witnessed as Ayana took the hand of another female entity dressed in all black with reddish-orange hair. It was like he he had almost seen the figure before, but couldn't recall clearly. Was she the reason for what he had felt earlier? He caught that flowery aromatic scent again as he stared at the lady in black with confusion. His eyes caught the woman's who stared at him neutrally and in a blink of an eye she and Ayana were both gone.

"Detective Kim?"

Jiyeon called his name again as Taehyung turned to face her.

"Hmm?"

"Are you sure you're okay? You just zoned out again with a weird expression on your face."

"Yeah, it's just lack of sleep and excitement to start the new position here. Thanks and I'll make sure Special Agent Lewis gets this."

The duo bid goodbye as he gave another curt nod before leaving the room and made his way back to the elevators. His mind was filled with the curiosity about the Special Section that Dee had apparently forgotten to mention. Still, Taehyung was more curious about what he had just witnessed earlier. Who was the lady in black and why did he have such a chilling feel about it? In all the years he's been able to see those from the other-world, the woman in black gave a different vibe than all the others he's encountered before. He sighed wondering if Jimin was right for him to get checked again.

 

december 6, 2019. 

"Hi, welcome."

Serena greeted the people when they entered the store of the Stop-N-Go with a forced polite tone whenever she heard the chime to indicate that someone was entering or leaving.

"Thank you. Have a great one."

Serena meant to pick up a few things for Everlast Memos' pot luck next Wednesday, but somehow found herself filling in for the time being. The owner, Jongbae, had to do a bank run before they closed. Tomo, the person who was supposed to replace him, missed his bus and had to take the next one causing him to be extremely late. The third worker, Kenta, had left early for a family emergency leaving Jongbae in a real bind. Serena happened to be the only customer in the Stop-N-Go at the time and someone he was familiar with and entrusted her with this small task. Serena felt sorry for the guy and decided to help him out for today. She knew she needed to stop helping, but kept doing it anyways.

"Excuse me, miss, but do you know if you have more of these in stock in the back?"

A middle-aged man asked Serena upon coming up to the counter with said item in hand. She shook her head.

"Sorry, I don't know if we do."

"Well, could you go and check for me?"

"I don't have the authorization to do that."

"You work here, no?"

"For today."

"Huh?"

"Either way, sir, I don't have authorization to check for you."

"Well, then, who does?"

Serena knew the man was getting upset, but she really couldn't do anything and wasn't going to do anything extra if she didn't have to.

"Jongbae."

<
Please log in to read the full chapter