001; moon

11tcr
Please log in to read the full chapter

october 27, 2019.  

"Tomorrow's a new moon and on the twelfth of November there will be a full moon, too. Do you perhaps like astrology and astronomy, Melanie?"

A woman dressed in a black hooded gown with a galax-like pattern that shimmered whenever she moved asked Melanie who was dressed in a simple white and blue striped pajama shorts and a dark blue tank shirt with an image of a white elephant on it. The woman in black had her face concealed, but Melanie wasn't frightened by the woman's presence. Melanie couldn't remember when they had first met, but the visits here and there have been a norm over the years.

"Not really. I wasn't really into that growing up, but my older sister was into the whole moon and star stuff." Melanie answered with a chuckle.

"Serena really liked sitting outside around night time the most, but our parents always scolded her to come back inside for many reasons and always asked her why she couldn't do this when it was daylight. Still though, she would sneak out again when they fell asleep and stay out in to the late night. Even now she's still the same."

"I never asked in the past, but do you and your sister get along?"

"Um, yeah, we do. Of course we would get on each other's nerves, yeah, but mostly we just chill for the most part. You could say that we were also like the best of friends that couldn't leave the other alone even if we wanted to."

Melanie chuckled afterwards upon remembering something.

"Honestly for the fun of it even if we didn't plan it, we would tell other people that we weren't related or even sisters, but still talk like we knew the other personally. It was really funny to see the other people's reactions."

The pair were in what appeared to be an endless sort of space almost as if they were amongst the milky way of the far off galaxy. There were no walls, no ceilings, and no floors. Yet neither were phased by it as they continued their conversation within this tranquil-like setting.

"Do you miss your sister, Melanie?"

The hooded figure moved about the space not really paying attention to Melanie although the younger woman didn't mind.

"Some times. We usually do our own things, but we'll always pick up wherever we left off and start up new topics."

The younger woman looked at the hooded figure.

"What about you, Nett? I don't think I ever asked you about your family. Do you have any siblings or were you an only child growing up?"

Nett vaguely answered, but quickly asked another question to change the topic.

"It's a bit of both, but more the latter than the former. Anyways, so, Melanie, what was it like living on Earth, in your small country of Lanhom?"
 

october 28, 2019. 

"Could someone please tell me why is it that when it's a new moon the sky becomes like super dark?"

One of the three friends asked his fellow buddies while sitting on top of one of their school, Suri Viboon High School, building's rooftops after having finished some extra homework that was forcefully handed to them.

"Because the moon is in-between the sun and earth, Changsub, and doesn't even appear at night."

"Go on."

The one named Changsub inquired further for his friend to continued. The friend sighed before explaining further.

"It's because the side that we see is in total darkness while the other side that we don't see is actually fully illuminated. Besides, the moon is in line with the sun so we barely even see it. That's why the sky becomes super dark at night when it's a new moon like tonight."

"Oh, wow really, Jisung? I didn't know that, but why is it a new moon if the moon isn't even visible?"

"We figured that and it's just called that. We don't know everything, man."

The third friend stated with a laugh.

"That's why Jisung answered your question since you asked in the first place."

"Shut up, Wonho."

Changsub shot Wonho a look as Jisung spoke again.

"Also, we're just gonna gaze at the night sky without a telescope because it's bad look to look at the new moon through glass."

"But I thought you said there was no moon out."

"Just shut up, Changsub."

Changsub grumbled before looking around them.

"Wasn't Somi supposed to join us for the stargazing tonight?"

"Her uncle came back from vacation today." Wonho answered.

"She hasn't seen him in years and went home early."

Wonho then shot Changsub a look.

"She told us during lunch. Weren't you listening?"

"Changsub never listens when it concerns food."

Jisung joked as Changsub playfully pushed him away.

"Don't act like you won't do the same thing, too."

"True, but I wish we could stick up for ourselves without cowering all the time from the school's bullies."

"I know." Wonho agreed with a heavy sigh.

"Minjae kept hitting me with the homework I did for her wanting an easier way to explain it, but I did and she still didn't understand. How did she even pass the exam for this school?"

"Rich parents."

The other two chimed before sighing heavily as well of that for sure information.

"Whoa. Did y'all see that?"

Wonho exclaimed as he looked over at his friend.

"There was a shooting star just now."

"What? No Way! Where?"

The trio continued chatting happily underneath the night time sky while trying to spot another shooting star with the exhaustion from earlier today fading away.
 

october 29, 2019. 

"Oh my, Eunji! Look! The new moon from yesterday is actually showing now!"

A young woman pointed at the new moon as Eunji smacked her friend's hand down from pointing at the moon.

"Sohee. Don't do that."

"Why?"

"I read that it's a bad omen if you point and you'll also offend the man in the moon."

Sohee frowned. The pair were on their way to their dorm building after making a late night visit to the convenient store.

"I thought it was some beautiful woman that lived on the moon with her jade-like rabbit or something. No?"

Eunji shrugged with an unsure expression.

"I'm not sure. There's a lot of stories about all that."

"Okay, whatever. Forget about the moon. Let's talk about your love life."

Eunji eyed her friend cautiously.

"Why?"

"I think it would be good to start a new love project before this year ends."

Sohee stated with a grin while casting Eunji a knowing look.

"C'mon, Euni. Don't you think it's time to act on it instead of hiding it?"

"But-"

"But nothing. Look, there's a lot of people at Southern Nizho, but your heart is set on Seungcheol. So how about we go raid your parents stuff again and see how your mom fell for your dad."

"You make it sound like my dad wasn't fit for my mom."

"I mean, you have to admit that your parents were complete opposite of one another."

"True, but I still want to think that my mom fell for my dad as they were meant for each other, So."

"Okay. The topic has gone in a different direction."

Sohee redirected the conversation elsewhere.

"We need to find some way for you to confess to him."

"It's just so hard to confess to him."

"We're gonna change that. Anyways, didn't you mention that your mom used to write your dad love letters back in high school?"

"I think so. I forgot where she kept them."

"Well, let's go searching for the letters. Or," Sohee cast Eunji a playful look. "We can just directly ask your dad about them."

"We are not asking him. Definitely not. I don't need my father to be involved in my love life.

"I wouldn't either. Okay. You're off the hook for tonight."

Eunji just rolled her eyes, but appreciated the support from her best friend.
 

october 30, 2019. 

"Ah, Ariel, my daughter."

Ariel's father, Raymond, shot her a warm smile from behind his desk before returning his attention onto the documents before him.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice."

Ariel took a seat across from him with a nonchalant attitude.

"Short is an understatement, Father. By the way, who's the old man that just left?"

"Another business partner for the Red Dragons from Merailles."

"I see. There's been a lot of new business matters for the the organization lately. Is everything okay?"

Raymond looked up with a puzzled look.

"Why'd you say that?"

Ariel shrugged with a neutral look.

"Nothing really. Just thought there's been a lot of new partnerships this year and many new faces."

"We're just building up on new assets and reforming old ones as times are changing. Running this type of business isn't what it used to be in the past and I have to keep up with the new blood. That's all."

"I see."

Ariel briefly glanced out the window and noticed the sun setting at the horizon and was able to make out the faint crescent moon. Her attention went back to her father who had already returned back to work.

"Will you be here late again?"

"I believe so. There's a lot of paperwork I need to get completed before the new year comes."

"Just make sure to eat and sleep. You know how Auntie Wang Juan worries."

Raymond chuckled with a nod.

"Yes, yes. I'm quite aware of her constant worrying."

Ariel didn't bring up the topic on why her father had asked her to come by in the first place and waited for him to address the situation. Soon Raymond's attention returned to his daughter after finishing up one of the few documents on his desks.

"By the way, do you remember your childhood friend, Xiaobing Ji?"

Ariel had to think about it, but nothing came to mind.

"No. I don't recall."

"You used to boss him around and do your bidding."

Ariel shook her head still having no idea who the person her father was talking about was.

"Well, it has been a very long time since you've last seen one another and never did keep in contact. Anyways, he has returned from overseas and the two of you can catch up over dinner tonight. I have made reservations at Skylight Terrace for eight o'clock."

Ariel eyed her father.

"What are you planning?"

"Nothing."

"It's not nothing, Father. Skylight Terrace is one of the luxurious restaurants in Xhin Xhin."

"Oh, please. Nizho's a metropolis area, so of course it's gonna have luxurious restaurants within it's cities."

"Xhin Xhin's an affluent city. That area isn't really my style."

"I'm very aware of that. Anyways, it's just for you to get to know your childhood friend again."

Raymond checked his watch for the time.

"He will pick you up soon once I give him the address. By the way, tonight's theme is Halloween related, so where a costume."

"You're kidding, right?"

"No. Send him my regards and a happy early birthday. It's the second of November, by the way, just in case you were wondering."

Ariel bit back her words and nodded.

"Alright, father. I will attend this dinner because it's for you."

"Thank you, my daughter."

Ariel stood with a wry smile.

"If the news report something tragic tonigh-"

"Ariel."

"Then it's not me. That's what I meant."

Raymond rolled his eyes, but bid his daughter a goodbye.
 

october 31, 2019. 

"C'mon, Serena, gotta smile for the customer."

Serena's friend, Praya, reminded her as her friend caught Serena dropping her smile every now and then when the customers were out of view. Serena shot her friend a sidelong glance.

"Please. We've been at this all morning."

"Yes, I know, but live a little. We don't get invited to such lavish gatherings much."

"Ugh. Why did this company even need to hold an all day Halloween event?"

She glanced outside to see the sun setting and the faint outline of the moon on the horizon with an aprehensive look.

"And it's getting late."

Praya cast her a confused look.

"When did you get so worked up about the night time? I thought you were a night owl, no?"

"Some times changes happen when you get order. Anyways, does it really matter? This outfit is getting slightly uncomfortable."

She then motioned at her get up for Halloween as Sailor Moon while Praya was Sailor Venus.

"I'm seriously getting mistaken for a high school student and they're constantly offering me modeling gigs."

"Isn't that a good thing?"

Serena was not amused.

"Oh, C'mon, Rena. GMNI Group is like the hottest entertainment company right now in all of Nizho."

"No thanks, Ya. Aleydis is just too ritzy for me and is like the new Xhin Xhin, but more wild with all this glitz and glamour nowadays. Anyways, I've been out of school for more than five years and the model life is not for me."

Praya cast her friend a playful look.

"I mean, you can also meet those famous singers and celebrities, too."

Serena still wasn't amused.

"Okay, okay. Just another hour and we can change and go out for drinks."

Serena eyed her friend again.

"Alright, Re," Praya sighed, "I'll drink and treat you to whatever you wanna eat. Deal?"

"Deal."

"Now, how about we take some shots of those handsome gentlemen dressed as vampires hanging out in the corner."

Just as Praya had placed her hands on to Serena's shoulders to lead her away, Serena felt an odd presence and swiftly shifted her attention to the roof of the building. Her eyes scanned every nook and cranny above her, but nothing was out of place or seemed oddly different. She frowned wondering what it was that had felt like eyes boring intensely down at her. Serena glanced about her, but her attention was immediately on her friend when Praya asked if she was alright.

"Um, yeah. Sorry. Just thought the decoration looked a little too relastic."

Praya scoffed.

"There's barely any decor to give off the Halloween vibes except for the crowd. You think these elites would be able to splurged for the ocassion. The hosts should've told me to take care of it if this was how it'll turned out for the photoshoot. Anyways, let's go. I see a total cutie that might want a taste of your blood tonight."

"Actually, you can mingle. Maybe extend your network connections. I'll just scout the area for more candid shots."

Praya pouted, but nodded with a defeated sigh.

"Fine. Just make sure to keep a smile on your face."

"Will do."

Once Praya was out of sight did Serena's gaze roamed over the crowd unable to shake off the lingering feeling that she was

Please log in to read the full chapter