003; daylight

11tcr
Please log in to read the full chapter

november 8, 2019.  

"So your father hasn't come to as of yet, but his vitals are stable and his condition is steady."

The nurse had informed Dongwoo when he appeared in one of the VIP room that his father solely occupied.

"Thank you, Nurse Pamika."

"You're welcome."

Pamika noticed Dongwoo's expression and body language.

"I was told when I first started working here that some times when you speak and hold normal conversations with them that they're still able to hear you despite not really processing what's going on around them."

Dongwoo shot her a small smile with a slight reassured look.

"Just pressed that button if something does come up. I'll return later and Dr. Favire will come around the same time."

"Thank you."

Dongwoo watched as the nurse left before looking over at his dad.

"Good morning, Dad." Dongwoo greeted his father with a sad smile while keeping back the tears.

He quietly took a seat by his father and watched the steady rise and fall of his father's chest. His own chest tightened.

"Um, so, uh..."

Dongwoo wasn't sure how to go about conversing with his father as he tried to keep himself in check. Normally he was always happy-go-lucky and had a positive outlook on like, but as of right now that wasn't how he wanted to feel. He didn't want to cry excessively. He didn't want to think of the negativity. He took a deep breath while holding his father's hand and tried to make conversation like his father wasn't unconscious.

"Um, it's mine and Seulgi's second anniversary today and I'm planning on taking her to that restaurant you and mom first met."

He let out a nervous chuckle with a sheepish expression.

"I don't know if you remember, but I never told you this about how I used the same line that you used on mom."

Dongwoo recalled that day as he spoke the same words to his girlfriend that his father had said to his mother.

"Ah, you've been staring at me for that long. Am I that handsome?"

Dongwoo chuckled as the atmosphere had calmed him down and lessen the sadness he had felt earlier. He continued to speak fondly of the memories he created with his girlfriend in thanks to his parents.

"It was meant as a joke of course, but I didn't expect her to play along with me leaving me completely speechless and shocked. Although I did learn later on after we started dating that she wasn't really staring at me and had just spaced out thinking about the book she had read the night before and I reminded her of the main character. Cute story, huh?"

Dongwoo giggled a bit at that.

"Mom did say I was quite the charmer and that I took after you. I guess she was right and wished she could have met Seulgi. The two would have definitely gotten along."

Dongwoo watched over his father still unconscious from their family outing the other day. Jonghyun and Minseok pretty much handled everything when they arrived at the Nizho University Medical Center while he just wondered if their father was going to be fine. The brothers rotated on who would stay the night with their dad as only one family member could spend the night. Honestly, they were a mess, but they kept strong. Luckily with Jonghyun being the eldest of the three had a stronger mindset and kept the other two level-headed. Still, they all felt despair on the inside and prayed for their father's well-being.

"I'll ask Seulgi to come by when you're awake. We can share more stories with you."
 

november 9, 2019. 

Kyungeun returned from her morning jog earlier than expected due to the sudden drizzle. When she arrived home she found out that her father, Donghui, had already left for an unscheduled yet important work meeting. Areum also finished making a simple meal of hash brown egg nests with avocado and apple sandwiches with almond butter and granola to which Kyungeun usually helped her step-mother make breakfast.

"Morning, sweetheart. Sorry about your jog being cut shorter than normally."

Areum greeted with a smile.

"It seems this morning is a little mixed up, but you and I will actually be going over the details for Dayeon's engagement party after filling out the necessary paperwork for the school's tour in less than two weeks."

"Okay.  I'll join you in a little bit once I've warmed up."

"No worries, darling. I'll get some tea going as well. Anything particular?"

"I'm fine with anything, Areum."

"Alright, then. Basil tea it is with this rainy weather we're getting lately."

"Perfect and I know. Will be back soon."

"Hosting the party will be Dayeon's best friends, Kana and Rina."

Kyungeun stated as she read off the lists to Areum to confirm what they had discussed.

"Yes."

"The engagement party date will either be on the fourteenth, the fifteenth, the twenty-first, the twenty-second, the twenty-eighth, or the twenty-ninth in March of next year when confirmed."

"Yes."

"The guest list so far consists of our immediate family, my mother and step-father, close family friends, Dayeon's circle of friends, and Vincent's whenever he lets us know who's coming for sure."

"That's right."

"Now, as for the perfect venue for the couple," Kyungeun exhaled softly as this was still up in the air, "Dayeon has decided on five possible locations."

"Mmhmm. She did."

"Yeah, but anyways, it's between Luneliz Villa in Xhin Xhin, Angelarme Gardens in Zaira Esme, Smile Estate in Aleydis, Kenshuu Manor in Tomei, or Mielete Chateau in Illia."

Areum also sighed deeply knowing the difficult choice of choosing the right venue.

"Yes. Dayeon would like it to be held at one of those places, but neither of us have found the time to actually visit the said venues."

"I'm surprised she didn't choose that resort in Nagamai Anja or castle in Blix Lumar."

"Dayeon wanted it here in Nizho as it benefits everyone."

Kyungeun nodded in agreement.

"It does. Alright, so, how about once we decide on one of those locations we can decide on the menu, too. Do you agree, Areum?"

"Most definitely, Kyungeun."

"Now, Dayeon wanted a Dessert Party theme with springtime colors. I'll talk with my boss at Orbit Cafe and ask the manager of Diamond Boba, too. Gayoung also told me about Minito Gelato and they also have a variety of selections to choose from. I can try to ask if they'll help out, too."

"Are you sure it's not your sweet tooth's doing?" Areum teased as Kyungeun chuckled softly.

"Most definitely not, but Dayeon herself I recently found out has a major sweet tooth, too."

"She sure does, but perfect. As for the springtime color scheme, we can come back to that as it's either in-between bright and pastel colors."

"Very true."

Kyungeun made a note of it as Areum smiled proudly.

"Wonderful job, Kyungeun. With your organizational skills, Dayeon's engagement party will be a hit."

"Thank you and I highly think so as well."

"Ah, the other thing we need to do is create the invitations, but we need the rest of the details."

"I made a note, but when Dayeon is free we should go over the rest of it."

"Good idea. Now, how about some stir-fried rice cakes with XO sauce or a cauliflower rice bowl with curried lentils, carrots, and yogurt?"

Areum asked as she got up to get ready to make lunch.

"Let's do both."

Kyungeun suggested while joining her step-mother to make both of the meals.

"Definitely a great idea."
 

november 10, 2019. 

"Somi!"

Wonho loudly called his friend's name when he spotted her sitting on the bench at the park near their homes in the late afternoon.

"Hey."

He breathlessly greeted her as he tried to catch his breath after running to meet Somi when he received her text message a few minutes ago.

"Is everything, okay?"

Wonho noticed her dishelved appearance. Her hair was in a messy bun. Her face was red and her eyes appeared puffy behind her glasses. It also seemed that she hadn't changed out of her pajamas to come meet at Windsor Park.

"Somi, are you okay?"

Somi glanced at him with watery eyes before looking down at her lap. She shook her head as she wiped at her eyes. Wonho quietly sat beside her with enough space between them. He wanted to comfort her, but he wanted to make sure that she wanted to be comforted first.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

He tentatively asked while thinking of the words she had sent him earlier.

"Did something happen with you and your uncle?"

Somi shook her head.

"Between you and your parents?"

She nodded.

"Concerning your uncle?"

Somi nodded, but with a shrug this time. Although her message wasn't clearn, but she had asked him if he could meet her at the park without the other two present. Usually what that meant was that she wanted to confide in him as the other two weren't great at keeping secrets and blabbered a lot. This time though, Somi wasn't vocally responsive and that usually meant something deeper, but Wonho wasn't sure how to draw that out of her without forcing her to. So he just let her be and come on her own accord.

"Would you like a hug?"

Somi nodded slowly as Wonho lifted an arm and put it around her shoulder and pulled her closer to him. She began softly sobbing as Wonho comforted her as best as he could. Somi spoke in-between crying, but Wonho barely caught any of that.

"-lied. Not -seas. -hate it."

Wonho continued patting her shoulder without responding. He hated when his friend was sad, but he really couldn't do anything about it except to be there for her when she needed a shoulder to cry on. A few seconds later Somi's tears ran dry and she pulled herself together. She broke the embrace as she scooted away to give them space. More for her sake than his.

"Thanks, Wonho. You're a great friend."

Somi wiped the remaining tears while casting her friend a teary smile.

"Sorry about all that, but I just couldn't hold it in."

Wonho nodded not sure how to respond or find the words of comfort.

"Anyways, I'll see you at school tomorrow. Thanks and bye."

Somi stood and ran off before Wonho could comprehend it all. He scratched his head and gazed after her puzzled. He sighed and hoped that she would be fine. If not, then he would need to prepare and let the other two be aware of it.
 

november 11, 2019. 

Madam Ming's words were still stuck in Jisoo's head since that night. She couldn't stopped thinking that in the new year she would find love. Was it true? Or did the old woman get a kick out misleading hopeful people like her. Jisoo sighed just as she heard the bus she was supposed to get on pull away. She panicked, but stay rooted where she stood and watched it drive away. She sighed again having spaced out again.

"C'mon, Jisoo, focus."

She told herself before pulling out her phone to check the time. It was forty minutes passed three and her mom wouldn't be home until six, so she still had time to get home to make dinner. Other than that, the next bus wouldn't arrive for another fifteen minutes. She could wait or she could buy some dessert when she spotted Minito Gelato a moment later across the street.

"Mom mentioned this place a few days ago. I think she wanted to try the red velvet truffles or was it the peppermint bark?"

Jisoo quickly crossed the street and entered the quaint shop. She was warmly greeted by the staff while maintaining distance to indicate that she wasn't ready to order or that she wanted to talk right away. Well, not like she could as she felt shy and awkward when making small talk unless necessary. There were two other customers before her and so she just awaited her turn while looking at the menu. Jisoo couldn't help, but overhear their conversation.

"Hey, what flavor does his sister like again?"

One of the two males asked his companion.

"I have no clue. What do little girls like?"

"Um, should we ask Jamie?"

"No. She's not like normal girls."

"That's messed up, Kino."

"Anyways, Nathan, Jamie's busy with that GMNI Group thing today."

"Oh, yeah, right. I totally forgot about that."

"Yeah, so wanna get her whatever he likes instead?"

"Nah. She might get upset."

"So then what should we do?"

At that moment both turned and noticed Jisoo standing behind them.

"Hi, sorry," Nathan cast Jisoo a sheepish smile, "But um what flavors do you like?"

Jisoo just stared at him not sure to answer or not. Kino spoke to explain their situation.

"We're picking a cake out for a friend's sister, and we don't know what flavors she might liked."

Something overcame Jisoo as she ask them a question.

"Did you ask the brother what his sister might like?"

"No. He's busy and he wanted us to keep this a secret to surprise her."

"Then you could ask the staff for a recommedation."

"Oh, that's true."

Both males turned to face one another after that realization before facing Jisoo again.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome, but um, if it helps, personally I like chocolate and strawberry."

She suggested with her own preferences as she still wondered what made her speak to these strangers without being all shy-like in front of them. Jisoo shook it off and cast them a friendly smile.

"If anything, then chocolate covered strawberries always work out."

"Wow, thanks!"

They thanked her as she cast them another smile.

"You're welcome."

The two males returned to gazing at the display in hopes of finding something closed to what they were suggested. As for Jisoo she felt a warm-fuzzy feeling settled within her as she found what her mother had wanted. Maybe Madam Ming knew what she was talking about and things were looking up for her. Then again, when it was her turn to order something, Jisoo suddenly became shy and forgot what she wanted and just said the next thing that came to mind which was neither what she or her mother wanted. Still, she didn't say anything to correct it and went with it to not cause a fuss.
 

november 12, 2019. 

Taehyung jolted awake to the sound of his phone going off. He groaned while wincing upon the rays of sunlight entering his room. He reached for his mobile device and didn't bother to check the Caller ID believing it to be his boss or a colleague.

"Hello?"

"Yo, you free today?"

Came the loud voice of his friend, Jimin. He pulled the phone away before bringing it back against his ear.

"I can't. I'm on call."

"Which means you can still hang out until you need to respond, right?"

"No, Jimin, I can't. We're

Please log in to read the full chapter