Break Up

Lovestruck in the City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What the hell is a healthy breakup?" Yuna tweets on her private account. "Regardless of who breaks up with who, it will still be painful because you're ending a relationship with someone you loved dearly.

Even if it hurts, you move on.

Breakups are out of your control, and so is the pain from it.

Not my fault y'all keep loving the crappiest people you're ever to meet 🤷‍♀️" 

 

She smirks to herself after posting the last tweet, calling some people out in her head. Putting her phone away, she turns back to her students playing volleyball. She flinches when one almost gets hit in the head by the ball, but carries on. Yuna turns to the other side of the court, seeing the other varsity members play a chill game of badminton.

Acknowledging that everyone's doing alright, she opens her phone once more and checks her camera roll. The application  brings up a memory from three years ago, catching her attention. Clicking on it, she smiles a bit at the pictures. 

She's holding a badminton racket, while the person in the back poses with both the shuttlecock and the racket. There's even a short video of them both missing their serves, causing them to crouch in laughter.

Speaking of break ups, Yuna has always deleted everything concerning the said ex. Photos, videos, texts— anything that's evidence of their relationship. 

But for some reason, she can't bring herself to deleting this certain ex. It didn't help either that they had seen each other recently by accident. 

Yuna mumbles a swear word under breath as she turns her phone off. 

Kim Yewon, what did you do to me?

--

 

Yerin barely got any sleep last night. Every time she closes her eyes, her anger comes back. 

Her poor pillow got beaten flat by her frustrated punches. It also received most of her screams as she pressed her face into it.

How has Sinb been this close this entire time? 

What do you mean by her cousin's girlfriend's best friend is the Sinb?

How has Sinb just been living her life as if nothing happened?

And is she living with that woman on the phone?

Dating? Married?!

It infuriated Yerin so much. She literally woke up this morning and chose violence. Again. Towards her pillow and cushions.

-

 

"Eunbi, can we please go home now?" she pouts. Eunha was having fun at first, but now she's just cold and hungry. And it's a Sunday. She would really like to relax back in her warm apartment.

"You have to try this. It's good for your back," the younger says, looking down at the other as she swings her legs back and forth on the machine. "And plus, I'm always sitting down while working. I need this exercise."

Eunha sinks to the ground, folding her legs like a kid and just watches the other. They've gone to this park before multiple times, but it's the first time one of them has actually used the outdoor exercise machines. She looks to the side and sees Yewon on some seesaw thing (apparently called an inversion table), reading a book undisturbed as she leans back and upright. 

Yewon goes almost upside down, dropping her book. "Eunha! Eunha, I need your help!" she calls out, voice strained.

"Let's go home," Eunha moans out, ignoring the youngest. 

 

When they go back to Eunbi's house for some warm soup with rice for lunch, the oldest complains again.

"It's too cold out right now, Eunbi. Let's just go back in the spring time."

"Someday, I'll be able to afford a gym membership," she chews. "You guys wouldn't have to worry about the weather."

"I'm okay. I earn just above minimum wage. The park is fine," Eunha shrugs.

"Do you have no hope in any of our futures?"

Yewon smacks her lips. "Her future will be bright," nodding towards Eunha. "She has Sojung."

Eunbi nods in agreement. "True true. She has a lot of money."

For a few moments, only the sound of chewing and slurping could be heard. Eunha speaks up after swallowing her food. "What does Sojung have to do with this?"

"What do you mean?" Yewon asks, laughing a little. "Are you not planning on marrying her?"

The oldest puts her chopsticks down. "I don't want to marry anyone. Not even Sojung." 

The two maknaes exchange looks of surprise at the statement. 

"...really?"

Before they could get an answer, Eunbi gets a phone call and answers it right away. "Hello? ...yes, this is Hwang Eunbi. A presentation? This afternoon?" She through her teeth, "That's a little sudden... But not to worry! I'm always prepared and ready."

She does a little dance when the call ends. "This is it, guys. My agency is going to get more work!" Eunha dances with her and congratulates her.

"Wait," Yewon scoffs. "Did you really mean what you said about Sojung?"

"Well, we've never talked about marriage." Eunha shrugs again, and returns to her food.

"If you never talk about it, Sojung's going to—"

"Hey," Eunbi interrupts. "Is marriage the most important thing for us right now? Isn't it making a living?" She taps her fellow maknae's arm. "Have you even been writing?"

--

 

Sojung smiles when she sees her girlfriend biking down the road. She thinks about if she should get her a new bike. When Eunha comes to a stop on the side, she follows suit and pulls over on the small street. 

"Oh, Sojung! You're here. Look at what I found!" The smaller holds up a small nightstand with a big smile on her face.

Sojung looks to the side and sees a pile of different things, accompanied by a sign that says "FREE TO TAKE". 

"I told you I needed a new nightstand, right? If we fix this up a little, it will be perfect!" Eunha giggles.

The other gives her a wide smile and tells her to wait a second. Opening the trunk of her car, she reveals a nightstand made with light brown wood and clean carving all wrapped in bubble wrap. "I worked with an interior designer company, and they used this for their open house."

Eunha's jaw drops, readjusting her grip on the smaller piece she's holding. "Is it expensive?"

-

 

Approaching the cubicles, the employees bow in greeting to their team leader. 

"Do you know where Sojung is?" 

"She visited one of the sites this morning," one of them answers.

Yerin sighs, frustrated she has to wait a little longer to talk to her cousin about her problem. Before she could head to her personal office, the same employee talks again. 

"Team leader, I looked over the proposals from that marketing agency. All of her previous projects had resulted in good profit and feedback. Should we put her on the list of choices?"

Yerin taps her foot a little. "It's a small agency. Could she handle it?"

"It's no different from big agencies as they would usually assign one employee to a project as well." They bring out a tablet to show to the leader. "This is from one of her projects for an art gallery earlier this year. She utilized social media. Should I schedule a meeting once Ms. Kim returns?"

Yerin breathes and nods seriously. "I'll look into it more. Thank you, Bona," she says lastly, then makes her way to her office.

-

 

"Doesn't this look expensive?" Eunha brags to Yewon. "How much would you pay for it? 300,000 won? (Around $300)" She rubs the smooth wood at the top of the nightstand Sojung brought, while the latter is painting the one Eunha brought a pastel purple.

The younger chuckles. "I wouldn't even pay 100,000."

Sojung snaps her head and stops her painting. "Yah. It's imported."

"How much then?" Yewon asks.

Eunha echoes, "Yeah, how much is it?"

The tall woman dips her brush into the paint, eyes wandering. "...about 1.2 mil."

The shorter girls gasp.

"But! I got it for free." Total lie. "But they said it cost around that much."

Eunha looks straight into the maknae's eyes. "I take back my offer. 500,000 at least. Final."

Little did she know, her girlfriend got up behind her and started making signs towards Yewon, telling her not to buy it. 

"You're missing out on a great deal," Eunha taunts. She hears a scoff, and turns around.

Sojung puts on a bright innocent smile, but is pleading with her eyes. "Don't sell it to her, baby. That offer's too low."

Yewon smirks and starts to look closer at the nightstand, even opening the drawers. Before the oldest can refute, she feels her phone vibrate. 

"What's up, Yerin?" she says blankly. "I'm with Eunha right now... I finished my work at the site, don't worry." Rubbing her forehead, she sighs, "Oh, come on. I woke up at five in the morning for that. You can't even let me meet up with my girlfriend? ...Fine. I'll be right there." She groans, giving an apologetic smile to the two in front of her. 

 


When Sojung gets to the office, her cousin sits her down.

"Tell me about this Hwang Eunbi," the latter says, sliding the project proposals on the table. "Bona looked over them and said they were very good."

"You want her to join the bidding?" She leans back in her chair. "And why are you asking about Eunbi, suddenly?"

Yerin switches on her cousin immediately. "Why did you do that on Saturday? You and Eunha cost us a high paying client. You didn't even give me an explanation as to why."

Sojung shrinks and stares at the table. "...sorry," she mumbles.

"So. Tell me. Were the client and Hwang Eunbi... engaged?" She tries to control her tone to make it seem like she's not extremely interested in hearing the story, only wanting a reason for her cousin's actions.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter