Driving Me Crazy

Lovestruck in the City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One year ago: Yangyang

 

"What?"

In her confusion, Yerin walks back to her camper and sits on a beach chair, exasperated.

She quickly stands up when she sees Sinb come her way. She pretends to have been busy with fixing the shade and patting away sand.

"Good morning!" Sinb says.

"Good morning," Yerin greets back, but with a lack of enthusiasm.

"Let's grab breakfast?"

"Uh i–"

"Angkko, you must be hungry too, aren't you?" She ruffles the dog's fur and kisses the top of its head.

Walking side by side down the beach, Yerin's hand tries to reach out for the other's hand that swung by. It was so close that she could just take hold of it, but Yerin couldn't bring herself to do it. Before she could try again, Sinb switches the leash to her other hand.

"Did you sleep well? When I woke up, I saw you sleeping like a baby."

Sinb says it so naturally, and it doesn't fail to make Yerin blush like a tomato. "I kept looking at you while you were sleeping." Sinb flips her hair as she turns her head to the older. "You looked cute." 

Yerin chuckles shyly, and rubs her neck. She clears and remembers what she saw earlier.

"I saw you with Ungjae earlier. W–what'd you talk about?" She carefully eyes the other, waiting for a reaction.

"Oh, Ungjae and I are going to the movies tonight. They're showing this old movie, and he said it was interesting. I like movies, and so does Ungjae," she says, nonchalant. 

Sinb keeps walking, leaving Yerin behind with dropped and eyes in disbelief.

---

 

It didn't bother Yerin.

No.

Totally didn't.

Which is why she keeps looking at the time, wondering if Sinb is back from her date.

She clicks her tongue, and just continues to paint the surfboard on the table.

But the more she thought about it, the more frustrated she got. Her became aggressive, until she ultimately tosses the brush down and lets out a grunt. 

Washing her hands, scratching and scrubbing to remove the paint left on her fingers, she hears steps coming from outside.

Leaning back to look, she sees Sinb walking by with an ukulele in hand.

"Sinb, how was the–"

And Sinb keeps walking.

She sits down at a table just around the corner and starts reading a music tab, following the notes along with the instrument.

Yerin jogs around, slowing to a walk when she sees the younger. She acts casually, lingering by her side, waiting to be noticed.

She eventually walks into the kitchen, disappointed.

"Oh, you're here," Jackson says, wiping a pot.

"Am I invisible? What's up with her?" she sighs out.

Still not taking her eyes off of Sinb, she mutters to herself, "Why is she ignoring me?"

Drumming the counter with her fingers, she notices a guitar stashed away in the corner. A bulb lights up in her head, and she makes her way to it. 

Sinb finally finishes the whole song once, and she sighs out of accomplishment. She brings the uke back into her arms, and places her fingers in the right spots. Playing three notes, she's interrupted by strumming coming from inside the ramen house.

She turns her head slowly, and sees Yerin, back turned towards her, playing the same song she was on the guitar.

Noticing the other had finished, she slides one of the doors open. "Yerin, you play the guitar?" she asks innocently.

Looking down to guitar in her hands, she acts surprised. "Oh this? Uh, yeah I play. I'm not bad." Yerin gives a smirk as Sinb nods in understanding.

Turning back, she plays a couple of chords. "Rather than the ukulele, I think the guitar is—"

And Sinb was back in her own space, plucking notes on the strings slowly.

 

The next day, a group of people played beach volleyball for fun— one member being Sinb. 

Yerin watched from afar while she scrubbed her board, slightly grumpy.

Of course Sinb had to look like she was having the time of her life. Celebrating when they get a point, directing smiles towards her team and giving high fives— of course Yerin would feel jealous.

No. I'm not jealous.

As she walked past to go back to her camper, she gets hit right on the head by the ball. 

"Sorry, Yerin!" Sinb yells out, getting up from the sand.

Yerin smiles and waves, saying she's okay. Her face drops immediately once she turns around, and continues walking.

Later that day, she overhears a conversation while eating her ramen.

"Sinb, I heard you went roller skating with Ungjae!" one says.

Sinb hands them their food and laughs. "Yeah, I did. I'm really bad at it, so I fell a lot," she tells them before heading back to the kitchen.

"That must be why she's limping," another one comments as they watch her.

Yerin discreetly turns her head to look, and it was true: Sinb is limping.

Back in her trailer, she scourges through her first aid kit. Finding only pain patches and band-aids, she knits her brows in frustration.

"Wait...no. I don't need to help her. Pft, what am I doing?", Yerin tries to convince herself. 

---

 

 

Present 

 

"Teacher Choi? It's Saturday. Why are you here?" 

"Oh I uh, needed to plan some things for the track team."

"It couldn't wait until Monday? You work too hard!"

"Oh, it's nothing."

She didn't really need to plan anything for the track team. Yuna just liked to go to the school on her days off because it was better than being alone in her apartment. 

Here she was, at her cubicle in the teachers' office, eating a bowl of jajjangmyeon. Since she was there, she might as well be productive.

Scrolling through files, she finds an old picture from five years ago she had completely forgotten about. It was a picture of a receipt from her favorite restaurant, with the food paid by Kim Yewon.

--

Five years ago

 

She wakes up after feeling rustling from the other side of bed. Opening her eyes and leaning on one arm, she looks at the other with a sharp gaze.

"Hello." 

The other woman who was sitting up, obviously confused and cautious because of the setting, hesitantly covers her bare body with the blankets and greets back. "H-hello." 

Yuna didn't need to cover herself. She went to sleep wearing the woman's oversized shirt. Getting up from the bed, she grabs her pants that were on the floor and puts it on. 

She hears the smaller clear and ask, "How did we end up here?"

Yuna thinks to herself,  "Well, it is a nice hotel room." She knows they were both drunk last night, and obviously, the other was so drunk that she couldn't remember anything. Yuna decides to .

"You don't remember?" she asks, with an evil smirk on her face. Oh, the panic on the woman's face was priceless. With those round eyes and button nose, it was adorable.

Putting their clothes back on, Yuna asks while slipping on her socks, "Want to eat something? What do you like?"

"Well, I– uhm... what would you like?" she asks with her soft voice.

"Soup. For hangovers." Yuna smiles to herself. "Do you like it?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter