Hwang Eunbi!

Lovestruck in the City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Back at the recycling center, Eunbi's number gets paged. 

Number 37, the automated voice calls. When the man at the booth sees who it is, he internally groans.

"Hi. It's me again," she says. Handing her ticket, the staff sees writing on the back of it. 

Can I please have my surfboard back?

He sighs and crumples the piece of paper. "Why do you keep coming here everyday? I told you, I can't. I'm going surfing with my partner this weekend." Before she can refute, he pages the next person in line.

-

"I'll buy you a new one." 

Eunbi currently has the staff cornered, catching him right as he came out of the bathroom. "Or even better! You sell it back to me, and I'll pay you enough for two new boards."

"Ah, why are you doing this?! You tried to throw it away, but I took it from you. If you actually threw it away, it would be long gone by now."

"Are you sure you even want the board?" Eunbi debates."You don't feel weird knowing there's a special date written on it? That was the date of my first kiss with my girlfriend! She even has a matching board!"

"I don't care about that." He huffs out and clicks his tongue. "I still want it. You gave it to me. Aish, why do you keep bothering me about it?"

"Why?" Eunbi repeats. She contemplates for a second and bites her tongue. "How can I even explain it" Shrugging, "I actually don't know. It's like I'm... crazy." She laughs creepily, causing the other to flinch. "I'm crazy!" 

Taking a step closer, the man retreats into the corner. "Do you see these rings?" she asks, taking out her necklace. "We got married— mm, not legally— but still! I couldn't bear to throw mine away, so I wear it around my neck. But then she thought I threw it away, so she threw hers away into the Cheonggyecheon stream, and then I had to fish it out from the freezing water, a-and now I have both!" 

The man has a little fear in his eyes, and Eunbi smiles innocently. "Now that I have both rings... I want the surfboard too." She forces tears out of her eyes to make him even more uncomfortable. "Because she... she made my heart her own. She helped me find the real me. The real Hwang Eunbi." The more she talked, the more her tears and words became real.

"Not that Lee Sinb. She healed my shattered heart. She didn't question anything I did. She accepted me with open arms." Eunbi didn't care anymore if she was pouring her heart out to a stranger, or if her guilt-tripping is working. "She helped me find my true self. She made me that surfboard from total scratch." Wiping her cheek, she looks him right in the eye. "How can I possibly forget her?"

-

 

It's been a week since it happened, but Yerin just feels worse now.

Her body feels worse than that time she competed with Sojung on who can hold a plank for longer. 

Her mind feels worse than after she took her final architecture exam.

Her heart— well, it's seen better days. Less battered days.

It didn't help that she didn't have any alcohol in her house. Sojung...

Why would she lie about her name? She constantly asked the universe. Was that a dream? Was Yangyang a dream? 

Was Sinb a dream?

She recalls that moment when Sinb chased after her when she left the police station. It was just like that time.

 

"I should've waited longer. You ran all this way–" 

"No, no. It's okay. I got you now... It's okay."

 

If the younger had run into her arms the same way she did that night, Yerin would accept her. She would just embrace her and not ask any more questions. She would make everything okay. 

But she didn't.

And Yerin hates it.

She also hates how she doesn't even have her ring anymore.

-

She really wishes she had Sojung's height. Eunbi feels embarrassed by herself when she has to jump to put the cloth over the surfboard. Straightening it out, she claps the dust off her hands and closes the storage room door. 

"Oh? You're back already?" Eunha squeaks, emerging from the bathroom. "That was quick."

Yewon hands them both a cup of coffee. "Is Sojung coming?"

"Nah, she said she has to take care of her cousin. Apparently, she's really heartbroken after she caught the camera thief."

The youngest spits out a little. "They caught the thief?!"

Eunbi tries to act surprised as well, resorting to simply gasping in shock.

"Yup! Sojung felt something was wrong when Yerin stayed holed up in her office, but today she called in sick. She doesn't know the full story yet though, so don't ask me for the tea," Eunha shrugs.

 

Meanwhile, the oldest is trying to squeeze out all the details from her cousin. 

"So what happened?!" she pushes.

Yerin rolls her eyes and says in a dead voice, "It was all a lie."

"Since when?"

She sighs and slurps at her soup. "Her name was fake."

"Holy... So what's her real name?"

"I don't know, I didn't bother remembering."

Sojung leans forward, intently wanting to know more. "So how did you catch her?"

"...Cheonggyecheon."

"She was there?!?! Ohoho this is juicy," the taller snickers. "Did you bring her to the police?"

In the same dead and monotone voice, Yerin answers, "Yes. But even then, she lied and said I gave her the cameras."

Scoffing, Sojung flicks her hair. "Wow. Have some meat," she offers, dropping pieces into the other's bowl. "So? Did you get your cameras back? Is she in jail? Probation? What's the punishment?"

Yerin simply glances at her, and keeps slurping at her soup. 

"No. No, no, no, no don't tell me you let her go. Oh come on!"

-

 

"Was it fate that made them meet again? 

They crossed paths, but have to go separate ways again.

Just like two perpendicular lines."

Yewon types and erases multiple times, not knowing how to phrase it.

With her newfound inspiration, she started typing up a new idea. Hopefully, it could go well and she could finally finish writing a novel.

Right when she starts to type a new sentence, she hears a beat blast through the walls. 

Eunbi... she groans. 

When she opens the door to the other's room, she finds her dancing carelessly on her bed.

"Eunbi," she calls out, annoyed. "Labyrinth? Seriously?" She tries to shout over the music, "I'm trying to write!"

The older pays her no notice and just keeps swinging her arms. Slapping her forehead, Yewon grabs a stool from nearby and sits on it right at the door.

"Why are you sitting there?" the dancer asks.

"To watch you, of course. And to annoy you. Of course."

Eunbi steps down and pauses her speaker. A little out of breath, "Let's eat dinner."

The younger purses her lips. "But it's your turn to cook." Receiving a death glare, she answers, "It's my turn. Right. I'll cook, I'll cook." Retreating into the kitchen, the door slams and she hears the music turn back on.

"Ugh, of course I'm going to cook. Because I'm the maknae! Everyone tells me what to do! I'm nice like that!" she whines. She finds Eunbi's marketing papers all over the dining table, and she groans at the mess. "What even are these?" Reading one of the plans, she sighs, "Hm. She's been keeping herself busy." 

Tidying them up, she looks back at the closed room, feeling a little worried for her friend. 

---

 

Worthless, Yerin repeats. If Sinb's plan from the start was to con her, then their love would become worthless. 

So Yerin decides to change the story.

They fell in love on the beach. Deeply.

She gave her the cameras as a gift.

Then, they separated on that same beach.

That's how Yerin will remember the story.

Maybe it won't hurt as much this way.

 

But people cope differently. People get hurt differently.

Eunbi dances to music in her room alone.

She stares out the window for hours.

She cries to a funny movie, despite Yewon's judgement.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter