Difficulty of Honesty

Lovestruck in the City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As she feels Yerin press on, she pushes her away a little, separating their lips.

"Yerin wait..."she mutters, a little breathless.

"Mm?" It's evident the older feels a little dazed from the smile she has on, and the way her eyes were so close to closing.

"We have to talk about this... properly. We can't just kiss and makeup literally." Eunbi sighs at Yerin's frown that's beginning to form. As much as she would love to keep making out with her (given Yerin's skills), they need to talk. Eunbi guesses that's why the other came here.

After a breath, Yerin nods slowly, reluctantly pulling their bodies apart. Snapping out of her daze, she remembers she needs to move her car out of the way first.

-

 

There's a better setting for this to take place, but a lot of nearby cafes and stores are closed, and it is too cold to converse outside. 

It's familiar to the both of them: sitting in Yerin's parked car to escape bothersome weather.

It's been about ten minutes, and neither of them have said anything other than a sigh or a glance to the other. Yerin breaks the silence with a light giggle, "Good to know you're still a great kisser."

Eunbi doesn't respond, but she keeps going. "Wah... I can't even think properly."

"What is wrong with me?" Eunbi whispers to herself.

Yerin gasps. "Whaaat? I just said you're a great kisser! There's nothing wrong with yo—"

"Yerin, I regret doing that.

"WHAT?! Wh– how? Why? You regret it?!" she stutters. When Eunbi opens , Yerin stops her. "Wait!" She pauses with a hand up. "Think carefully about what you say. If you regret it, I swear I'm going to lose my mind," she pleads.

Eunbi sighs and turns to the other. "I regret it."

"Oh come on!" Yerin cries out and leans her forehead on the steering wheel. "Ya! You kissed me first! Even back in Yangyang, you kissed me first!"

"I must have been crazy."

"Crazy? Eunbi! You're not crazy! You love me!" Fishing through her pockets, Yerin frantically pulls out the rings from earlier. "You have both rings! One you never threw away, and the other, I threw away but you have it! It can only mean that you went into the water and grabbed it. I could never do something like that!" In the back of her head, her conscious slaps her for blatantly lying about that. "You love me. Admit it."

Eunbi smacks her lips, "Yes. I did. I loved you. When you threw the ring away, my heart broke into a million pieces, so I went into the water and grabbed it like you said."

"And?" The older hopes there's something good Eunbi can say.

"And I regret it."

"Oh come on!" Yerin groans in distress and holds her head in her hands.

"I regret going into the water and I regret kissing you." Eunbi keeps her arms folded, and just watches the other. "You kissed me back!" she refutes.

"So what?" She raises her head up and looks at the younger with a stink eye. "I like you, so I don't regret it."

"I like you too! Why do you think I kissed you?! But I still regret it." Eunbi takes a hold of Yerin's shoulder to stop her from groaning.

"I like you, okay?" she says in a calm voice. "In all honesty." Eunbi takes a deep breath as she looks into Yerin's eyes. "But I need you to know that you're not my priority right now."

"...What do you mean?" 

Eunbi breathes again before speaking. "Sojung probably told you of how I used to be. Then... with my past relationship... There are things I want to take care of first."

"Like?" the older asks calmly.

"Yerin—"

"Sin— Eunbi, please. I still have strong feelings for you. I don't care about your ex-fiancé, or about who you used to be," she pleads, taking a hold of one of the other's hands. 

"Yerin," she repeats. "It may not matter to you... but it matters to me." 

A sniffle comes out of Yerin as she feels herself start to cry. "Do you really regret meeting me?"

Eunbi purses her lips and looks down at their hands. "No. I don't."

"Me too. Even though I've done lots of crazy and stupid things, I never and will never regret meeting you."

The younger feels herself start to tear up as well. "When I was with you... I loved every second of it." She smiles a little and swallows down unshed tears. "You helped me explore things I've never done before. I wanted to become someone else. I wanted to be loved."

Yerin tries her best to find an excuse for the other to stay. "But I don't think Sinb was completely not you in Yangyang. I believe many parts of her were you."

Eunbi doesn't respond, but simply smiles again. 

It clicks in Yerin's mind, which makes her droop her head down in realization. "But that's what you want to take care of." She huffs lightly, "That's your priority... I see."

"I want to figure out what I'm made of; who I am... because... because I still don't know." Eunbi away a tear that drops from the other's eye. "I'm sorry."

She places a gentle kiss on Yerin's cheek, whispers a goodnight, then opens the car door.

Yerin felt angry— not at Eunbi, but at no one really. She understands the other's choice, even though she wants to be together so bad. 

Yerin didn't get the girl in the end. And that's okay. 

-

 

Eunbi rolls the tape all around her side mirror, trying her best to keep it at the angle it is at normally. It was a little askew and wonky, but it could probably still work fine when she drives.

The sun had risen three hours ago, yet it was still so cold. Multiple cars pass by her as people get to their jobs and places they need to be. But when one car stops beside her, and with the driver stepping out, she turns around in mild curiosity.

"Your keys," Yerin asks her.

 

The architect returns her car an hour later, with the side mirror fixed properly and the gas tank full. 

When Yerin hands her back the keys, Eunbi stops her before she can leave. "Take them," she says, holding up the camera bag.

The older takes it without an argument this time. Opening the trunk to her car, she takes out a black carrier. "You left this at my house when you slept over. Here." She gives her a smile as she wheels it to her. "I wish you all the best. Take care of yourself."

Eunbi nods silently at that.

"Aren't you going to say it back?" Yerin jokes.

The younger lightly laughs, "We'll be seeing each other at work."

-

 

"I finally found your place. Come on out."

 

Yewon contemplates for a moment on whether she should go out or not. However, if Yuna's drunk again, she can't just leave her out there.

Heading down the stairs and onto the street, she finds no one around. She walks around a little and even tries calling her, but she gets no answer. Seeing a woman hug a telephone pole down the street, she jogs over. 

Sadly, it isn't the woman she is looking for, but that stranger is drunk. Jogging over to the next street, she begins to worry about the older. Is she at someone else's house? Is she feeling cold?

Not long after, she hears a stern voice from an alleyway she just passed by. 

"Attention! I said, ATTENTION." 

Retracing her steps, she peers around the corner and sees a group of male students being obviously reprimanded by Yuna.

"Stand straight," she says when she sees one of them leaning on one foot. She kicks his shin, making him hunch over. 

"You kicked me!" he whines.

She scoffs. "So what? Are you going to go to the Office of Education or the police? Your choice." With her piercing eyes, she stares them down. "Smoking is terrible enough... But throwing the butts all on the ground and littering is just a different kind of nuisance. It's worse. So right now, you boys are going to pick up all of these and throw them away properly." 

She smiles cynically, but there's no movement from the students. "I said, RIGHT NOW."

As they crawl and pick up the cigarettes, Yewon laughs lightly at the scene. She takes a few steps forward and points out a piece with her foot to one of the boys. "You missed that one."

She immediately regrets doing that when the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter