Cameras

Lovestruck in the City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ten years ago

 

"don't demolish the playground," Eunha's sign said. She had walked up to the playground quietly, wanting for people to just read her sign.

She didn't expect someone else to protest beside her, shouting out. 

"Don't destroy the playground!!! We already don't have enough nature rest areas, so why take down this one!!!" the other girl shouts, raising her sign.

Eunha shyly nods at her statement.

"For our children and for us, let's protect this!!"

"We'll protect it!" Eunha echoes, and comes closer.

"We object the demolition of this space!"

"We object! We object!"

"We don't want a corporation on this space!"

Q"We don't want it! Don't want it!" a group of small kids join in. 

There were barely any people around outside, but their voices were heard.

After the kids had gone home and their voices were turning hoarse, they changed to sitting quietly with their signs.

"Do you live around here?" Eunha asks.

"No. I live in ****," the girl responds.

"Eh? Then why are here over our town's issue?" 

She shrugs. "I like this park. I come here often."

"All the way from ****?" Eunha gasps.

"I want to save the environment."

Eunha hums in understanding.

"So... You don't remember?" The tall girl wears an embarrassed look. When the former hums in confusion, she clarifies. "You and I went to school together back in the second grade." She smiles. "I'm Kim Sojung. You're Jung Eunha.

"...yeah you most likely forgot," Sojung chuckles. "I moved a month after."

When another student walks by, they shout their protests once again.

They appeared in the newspaper that week, because of their efforts that actually worked. They were able to save the playground. 

 

Nine years ago

 

"If you don't understand the purpose of these, then I suggest you spend your time somewhere else," Eunha spits. A pair of two middle school boys had come up to her spot, but instead of being interested in the second hand clothes, they criticized it right in front of her. "New clothes are good, but if I just throw these away then it'll be a waste of good resources."

"How about you spend your time elsewhere? Come hang out with us," one of them says snarkily. 

She scoffs. "Look at my uniform. I'm in high school." 

"So wh–"

"How much are these?" someone interrupts. "This one's nice."

Eunha's eyes widen when she recognizes her: Kim Sojung.

"I'll buy all of it," Sojung says. "It's for a good cause," she ends with a wink. "Now if these stuff aren't your style..." She stands and puts a hand on each boy's shoulder, firmly patting them. "...I suggest you probably leave." She pulls at their jackets, moving them out of the way. "Goodbye."

As they walk away annoyed, the tall girl continues to look through the clothes. "Middle schoolers. Pubescent boys. They're so annoying." It draws a shy laugh out of Eunha.

 

Eight years ago 

 

"How'd you know I go to this university?" 

"Uhhh I didn't!" Sojung lies. "I actually came to give this to a friend," she says, raising a plastic with some soup and dumplings. "You just so happened to walk out the doors. Coincidence? Anyway, you can have these."

Eunha tilts her head. "What about your friend?"

"My friend? He uh... told me he left already, actually!"

The smaller takes the bag and sighs. "Thank you. This is perfect for the snow right now."

"I hope you do well on your midterms. Fighting!" Sojung puts on a determined face, making Eunha giggle.

"I will try. Fighting!"



Seven years ago 

 

"So you went to **** high school?"

"I did."

"Were you a part of any clubs or teams?"

Eunha is on a blind date with someone a classmate had told her about. She hadn't gone on one in a while with school taking her time. 

It was different now, though. She had a right-hand man. Or woman.

"I was in the art club. But other than that, I'm not very interested in sports," Eunha says.

"Well, why not? Sports are great! I was actually the soccer team captain back then," the guy brags.

Across the café, Sojung crosses her index fingers, forming an 'X'. 

 

On another date— this time at a modern art museum— Eunha had talked a lot about the paintings. On the other hand, the man simply nodded at whatever she said. After a few more paintings, he suddenly says, "I actually don't know anything about art."

Sojung, who had been following close behind, passes them and says, "Wow, these paintings are incredible," making sure she was heard. She sends a knowing look to Eunha as a signal. 

 

As she had another blind date in the park, Sojung rode her scooter. When the guy wasn't looking, she makes a big 'X' with her arms. As she rides away, Eunha nods and stops in her tracks.

"Something urgent came up! I'm really sorry!" She bows to her date and runs the opposite way. 

 

 

Six years ago

 

Sojung finally got to visit home as she was on break for school. Going to university in Canada was always her plan— just for her last two years so she can get the experience and graduate there.

 Of course, the first thing she did was take care of Eunha's grandmother in the hospital.

"Sojung, you really didn't have to," the younger says as she enters the room.

"It's really no problem. She barely just went to sleep," she says and fixes the blanket on the bed. "How was your exam?" 

"I'm just hoping I pass." Eunha frowns. "Are you really sure you want to be here?" 

The older just gives a small smile. "I'm sure. Here," offering her seat to the other. 

As Eunha leans over, she sees Yewon sleeping on a mat on the floor at the other side of the bed. "Why is she here?"

"She had writer's block. Not totally sure why she would come here, but it kinda worked," Sojung shrugs.

 

 

Five years ago

 

"Enjoy your drink! Come again." 

The customer stops her before she can head back to the kitchen. "Actually... I was wondering if I could get your number?"

"Not today, sir," a stern voice calls out.

Eunha's jaw drops when she looks to the person that just entered. 

The other's face softens, and she opens her arms, presenting herself. "I'm back."

"Kim Sojung?!"

"Graduated and reporting for duty."

 

After Eunha's shift, they take a walk together since the night was cool.

"So what now?" the shorter asks.

"Well, I'm going to have to get a job. Get a place of my own as well. But most importantly, I gonna ask someone out." Sojung chuckles. "Someone I've liked for a long time."

The other gasps. "What? Really? I never knew you liked someone. Who is he? Is he a nice person?" Eunha pokes her in the side when she doesn't answer.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter