Epilogue

Lovestruck in the City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One year later

 

"It's so cold outside! I can't believe summer was so short." Yerin shivers and takes her coat off, hanging it on the rack.

"Honestly, I'm glad. Summer . It's way too hot and sunny. And there's climate change too." Eunbi doesn't raise her eyes from her laptop, and continues to type away. When Yerin heads her way, she quickly changes tabs to a different project she's working on. 

"Always so picky." She kisses the top of the younger's head and wraps her arms around her neck from behind the chair, leaning down to rest her chin atop.

Eunbi would come to Yerin's house every Friday and sleep over just so they can spend the weekend together. The latter sometimes comes home on other days and sees Eunbi sleeping in her bed, unannounced.

"I heard the waves are great at the beach right now," she says with a smile.

Eunbi's eyes dart to the bottom corner of her screen, reading today's date. Turning her head around to look at Yerin, there's a mischievous look in the older's eyes.

After receiving the look of suspicion, Yerin laughs. "Happy second anniversary?"

"Funny," Eunbi deadpans.

"Hey, believe it or not, we still got married— even if it was unofficial by law." Circling around, Yerin kneels in front of Eunbi. The latter closes her laptop at the sight, and sets it on the table beside her.

"...what are you doing?" Eunbi asks, feeling nervous.

"Don't worry, I'm not proposing again," she laughs in defense. "I know you're not ready yet. But uhm..." Clearing , she takes a hold of one of Eunbi's hands and looks at her gently. "Two years ago, I found you for the first time. One year ago, I found you again. Today, I didn't have to go searching because I didn't lose you." 

She takes out a gold ring from her pocket, presenting it in between her fingertips. "I thought it's about time for an upgrade. So... here's to more years to come."

Eunbi sighs in awe. "Yerin..." She brings the other's hand up to her lips and places a small kiss on the palm.

Yerin smiles when she remembers the first time Eunbi did that. Removing the silver band, she replaces it with the gold one, slipping it on gently. Yerin kisses the younger's knuckle, then leans up to place one on her lips.

She gets surprised when she sees a frown on Eunbi's face. "What's wrong?"

"I didn't get you anything."

Yerin kisses her again to rid her of her pout. "You don't have to."

"But I want to!" she whines.

Standing up, the architect hums in thought. "Do you remember that song I sang for you over the phone?"

"...yeah?" a little skeptical.

"Could you sing that for me?" She pulls Eunbi up to her feet, and wraps her arms around her waist. "I heard my Eunbi is a great singer."

The younger raises an eyebrow. "Where did you hear that from?"

"Mmm... Car rides, while you work on your laptop, when you do the dishes, sometimes when you think I'm asleep and my hair—"

"You know about that?!" she yells. "Well, it's not my fault you look so cute with your eyes closed like that," she mumbles under her breath.

"—in all those times, your sweet voice made me feel very relaxed. I really wish you would sing more. Please?" Yerin does that bright-eyed look of aegyo that Eunbi hates, but at the same time loves so much. She can't say no to a face like that.

--

 

After her shift, Eunha invited Eunbi to the café just to chat, with the latter being busier nowadays with projects.

"Have you seen Yewon's apartment?" Eunbi starts.

Eunha shakes her head lightly. "Just the pictures she sent. She says she's waiting for Yuna to get back from her trip first before I'm allowed to go over there."

"Her life's been pretty crazy lately. With her novel coming out, moving, then Yuna, I can't argue with her for not being able to hang out."

"How's Yerin?" Eunha asks before taking a sip from her hot chocolate.

"She's doing good. She keeps talking about how she'll be president soon after her dad retires."

"Hm. President Yerin." She chuckles at that thought. "How are you two?"

Eunbi smiles at the reminder. "We're great. It's interesting to think about how little we knew about each other back then."

Eunha nods. "Still taking it slow?"

"Of course." Raising up her hand, she points at the new ring around her finger. "She's willing to wait for however long."

"Gold definitely suits you better," the older  comments. "Honestly, if you guys jumped right into dating again last year, I would have hit you on the head and talked some sense into you."

"I know, I know. But I'm grateful Yerin's changed. Anyway, how are you?" Eunbi purses her lips for a moment.  "I know things have been different..."

Eunha sighs lightly, her fingers tracing the handle of her porcelain cup. "I actually wanted to ask you about something."

"I'm listening."

"What if... what if I went back to school?" she asks, eyes still trained on her cup. 

Eunbi masks her surprise with a grin. "Do you want to?"

"I've been thinking about it for a while now. But... the time and money just might be too much for me."

The younger looks at her and thinks about the possibilities. Eunha's been her friend for the longest time, and she was there for her in her time of struggle. Maybe it's time to repay her.

"What if I helped you pay for it?" she asks gently.

"Hwang—"

"You're my best friend. You have helped me more than I ever have." She leans forward and takes Eunha's hand in hers. "Let me do this for you. Just tell me if you really want to go back again." 

There are unshed tears in Eunha's eyes. This is a chance to start anew.

-

 

"Has Sojung come in yet?" Yerin asks, curious as to why she hasn't been disturbed this morning.

"She didn't tell you? She's on her leave for today."

"Oh. Hm." She purses her lips and nods in thanks before returning to her desk. She decides to call her cousin to find out what's going on. After a couple of rings, she hears a deep breath on the other side.

"...hello–"

"Love is dead and a waste of time."

Yerin pulls away from her phone to double check the caller ID. She's sure this is Sojung's number. "What?"

"Yerin, why are you calling." The older didn't really ask, as it was more of a scold. "I'm not coming to work today."

"I just wanted to check up on you; see if you're okay."

"I'm not."

And that was the last thing she heard before the call ended. That was extremely concerning, but Yerin can't just drop everything, especially since her cousin sounded adamant about not seeing anyone.

"Team leader?" 

Yerin raises her head and sees Bona again knocking on her office door. "Hm?"

"There's someone here to see you." 

"Who is it?" She tries to remember her schedule, and is positive she doesn't have any appointments at the moment.

"She said she's a friend of yours." 

"Hm. I'll be right out." Fixing her blazer, she takes a breath and steps out of her office. At the tables, she's greeted by none other than the two Eunbis' best friend.

"Yewon?" she calls out.

"Yerin!" The younger stands and gives her a hug.

"I haven't seen you in a while. How's publishing going?"

Yewon brightens at the topic. "It's going great! We finalized the cover, and now it's so close to being physically printed."

"I'm proud of you." Yerin gives her a pat on the shoulder and a gentle smile. "What brings you here?"

"Well..." She gestures towards the seats, asking the architect if they could take a seat. "I want to build a house."

Yerin knew lots of things were changing in Yewon's life based on what she's heard from Eunbi, but she would have never expected this.

"Oh. Wait... Huh?" She leans forward, trying to make sure she heard that right.

"My parents are moving back to the countryside, so they gave me their house here in the city and said I can do whatever I want with it."

"You want to start from scratch? Not even just a renovation?"

Yewon purses her lips and looks at Yerin, hesitant. "You can keep a secret, right?"

The latter shrugs. "I try my best."

"I'm planning on proposing to Yuna."

Shock pulses through every vein in Yerin's body. 

Yewon??? Marriage??? With Yuna???

"Yewon... That's great. Congratulations," she sighs with a genuine smile. The other may be young, but Yerin has no doubt that she knows what she's doing.

"She hasn't said yes yet, so save your congrats. But you can't tell anyone. Not even Eunbi."

Well, now I really want to tell Eunbi, she thinks to herself. 

"So? Could you help me?" She brings the conversation back to the purpose of her visit.

Yerin scrambles, snapping back to reality. "Y-yeah of course! I'll uhm, we can take a look at some plans another day when Sojung is here."

"Great! We'll be in touch then, Yerin. We should all hang out together soon!" Yewon picks up her purse and gives the older another hug.

"You're the busy one nowadays! We've been waiting for you," she laughs.

When Yewon leaves, and Yerin's back in her office, one person stayed in her mind. She's unsure of what it means and why she's thinking of her, but it's not a bad thought.

---

 

Yuna steps out of the boat and onto the dock, carrier in tow, and her scarf loosely hanging around her neck. She already misses the ocean air in Ulleungdo, but the city is still her favorite. Plus, she misses someone more than the beach can ever compare to.

"Yuna!!!"

At the sound of the familiar voice calling her name, she smiles under her mask as she starts to jog.

"Aigo!" she groans when the shorter crashes into her a little too hard. "You miss me that much?" she teases.

"I did!!!" Yewon pouts, upset that the other was gone for so long.

"It was only a week." Yuna takes her mask off to show her wide smile.

"I really wish I could have gone with you." The younger buries herself deeper into Yuna's arms and sighs in comfort. "But you're back now. That's what matters."

"Yewon..." She gently clutches the back of the said woman's head to make her look up at her.

"Hm?" Yewon starts to lean in, eyes only on the taller's lips. But right as they were a breath away, Yuna laughs.

"I'm really hungry." Pulling away, she takes Yewon's hand and smiles at the pout still on her face. "Let's go?"

 

Arriving at Yuna's apartment, she unpacks and freshens up while waiting for the food Yewon ordered.

"Here's the calamari!" She hands it to Yewon, who giggles in excitement at the souvenir.

"Wah... This will taste amazing, I can tell already by the visual." 

Yuna continues to sort her clothes, putting used ones in the laundry basket, and her shoes back in the closet. "Have you finished unpacking into your apartment?"

Laying down on the older's bed, she hums and pats the mattress mindlessly. "Basically. Besides memories and pictures, all the essentials are put away." She pauses first, thinking if she should continue with her train of thought. "I'm not going to be staying there for long, anyway."

"Eh? Why? It's a nice apartment, and it's not too expensive." After putting away her bottle of lotion, Yuna flops down beside Yewon on the bed. "You were able to save a lot too when you lived with Eunbi."

Yewon would never lie to Yuna. It would be okay if she just shares part of the story instead of in full, right?

"My parents are giving me their house here in Seoul. I met up with Yerin and Sojung the other day to talk about it." She shifts onto her side, fully facing the other.

"And?" Yuna could always tell if there was more. Her sharp intuition just always caught Yewon like that.

"And the plan is in motion," she smiles. "It should be finished before spring, considering the demolition, and the reconstruction, and the snow." 

The taller starts to fiddle with a button on Yewon's knit sweater.  "A whole house to yourself, hm? I bet the silence will be perfect for writing."

"Yeah... All to myself..." She sighs in longing, bringing her hand up to the other's pale cheek.

"I'll probably be crashing there half of the week," Yuna jokes. "Just so you won't be lonely." She says it in a cheeky tone, still teasing her girlfriend and trying to get a cute reaction from her.

But Yewon is really calm right now, simply smiling at the other. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Yuna tries to joke again, but just ends up blushing.

"You're still so beautiful... even if you do smell like salt water."

"Yah, Kim Yewon!" She slaps the younger's side, causing them both to laugh. "Do I really?"

"Just a little," Yewon grimaces. They hear the intercom go off, most likely the food being delivered. "I'll go get it."

As Yewon goes to the door, Yuna lays there and thinks about how her life has been going recently. A year ago, she would have denied ever wanting to date this novelist again; Pushing her feelings back, and drinking until she can't feel anything.

Now, here she is in her healthiest relationship with the one person she truly loved. She's been sober for almost eight months, she's learned how to communicate and trust others, and she doesn't feel that constant nagging in the back of her mind anymore from her late mother.

Sure, you can say she's gone soft, but her students still fear her just the same. Yewon is the one taking care of the sentimentality when it comes to their jobs.

A hand appears above her. "Let's eat," the other says, offering to pull her up.

 

Yuna groans in satisfaction when she takes her first bite. "I missed meat. All I ate in Ulleungdo was seafood."

"But you like seafood."

"Once you've had one too many shrimps, you'll understand." She shuffles through her purse for her phone. "I forgot to send these pictures. We went swimming this morning for the last time. The beach was too cold, so we were in the pool and jacuzzi."

Yewon almost spits her food out at the pictures shown to her. Her girlfriend in a bikini was a sight to behold. She's seen her wear less multiple times, but Yuna never fails to take her breath away. 

She sees a smirk on Yuna's face, meaning she fully knows her impact on the younger. Before Yewon can say something inappropriate (which Yuna knows she was going to), the taller shakes her head, silently reprimanding her.

"So when are you gonna bring me to your new place?" she asks while they eat. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter