Doubt

My person

Myungsoo and Sungkyu came out from the police station, neither of them said a thing for some minutes. Myungsoo didn’t know what to say, it’s been more than a year since he last talked to Sungkyu.

“What about having some drinks?” Sungkyu asked him breaking the silence.

Myungsoo looked at him and then chuckled.

“Dude I just came out from the police station because of a fight while I was drinking and now you want me to drink again?” Myungsoo joked.

Sungkyu also chuckled before speaking again.

“That’s why we won’t go to a bar or something like that, what about going to my place?” Sungkyu suggested.

“That would be nice.” Myungsoo answered with a smile.

Sungkyu brought Myungsoo back to his place. Myungsoo followed him to the department and once inside he looked at the place.

“So you now live alone?” He asked.

“Yes, when I started college I decided to move on my own, what do you think?” Sungkyu answered.

“It’s great.” Myungsoo said smiling.

Sungkyu then went to the kitchen and brought along two beers, he told Myungsoo to sit at the couch and then he opened the beers, giving one to Myungsoo before sitting by his side.

“Thank you for coming for me.” Myungsoo started to talk after some minutes of silence. “To be honest I didn’t expect you would even answer my call.”

“Well it was an unknown number so I didn’t know it was you in the first place.” Sungkyu answered and then took a sip from his beer.

“Oh right.” Myungsoo answered a bit disappointed when he also realized that fact.

“But I would have come for you nonetheless.” Sungkyu said not looking at him.

Myungsoo chuckled sadly.

“Why would you even do that?”

“You’re my friend.” Sungkyu answered like it was obvious.

“Come on Sungkyu, we both know that isn’t the case.” Myungsoo said in a sad tone. “I hurt you so bad back then, how can we still be friends after that?”

“I still considered you a friend back then and even now. I know something happened with you and I just hoped you would react somehow, I was indeed angry with you but not to the point of not labeling you as my friend anymore.” Sungkyu explained. “Come on Myungsoo we’ve known each other for years now, if just that quarrel was enough to break our relationship then what would be the case of being friends in the first place?”

Myungsoo didn’t know what to answer, he was completely taken aback by Sungkyu’s answer, he never expected him to still think of him as a friend.

“I always thought I broke our friendship because of a stupid misunderstanding.”

“Well it did break our friendship for more than a year but I don’t actually think it was a stupid misunderstanding.” Sungkyu answered thoughtful.

Myungsoo frowned and looked at him, Sungkyu did that as well.

“I never knew what happened to you.” Sungkyu said with a worried voice.

Myungsoo then averted his gaze and leaned back letting out a heavy sigh.

“To be honest I don’t know either.” Myungsoo answered monotonously. “At some point I just lost myself, even now I don’t know who I am anymore or what I want to do.”

Sungkyu leaned back as well and let out a heavy sigh.

“What can I do to help you?” He asked Myungsoo.

“You’ve done a lot up until now, just knowing that we’re still friends makes me feel better.” Myungsoo answered with a genuine smile.

Sungkyu then chuckled and put a hand on his shoulder.

“Just come to me if you need me, let the past stay in the past, from now on I’ll be by your side again.” Sungkyu assured him.

Myungsoo took his hand.

“Thank you, really thanks a lot and even when you said to just let the past stay in the past I still owe you an apology, so I’m sorry about what happened before, I know I treated you badly and nothing can justify that.” Myungsoo apologized.

Sungkyu smiled and nodded to him.

“It’s okay now, I forgive you.”

After that they started to talk about their lives and updating each other about the things they have missed.

“So Jiyeon and you attend the same university?” Sungkyu asked surprised.

“Yeah, I thought you both kept being in touch so you would know it.” Myungsoo answered a bit confused.

“Well we actually didn’t keep in touch that much after the prom. To be honest I was worried about her for a long time but she secluded herself and we couldn’t do a thing about it.” Sungkyu explained.

“I see, she indeed secluded herself for a long time, though right now she seems to start getting better, she even has some new friends at college now.” Myungsoo said with a warm smile.

Sungkyu looked attentively at him.

“And what about you both?” He asked with caution.

“What do you mean?” Myungsoo asked back.

Myungsoo clearly knew what Sungkyu was talking about and Sungkyu knew Myungsoo understood his question, but he still explained himself better.

“What’s going on between you guys? Do you still like her?” Sungkyu asked directly.

Myungsoo chuckled sadly before answering.

“I’m not allowed to like her anymore.”

Sungkyu frowned upon that peculiar answer.

“What are you talking about?” He asked confused.

“I’m broken now, I don’t even know what to do with myself. She’s finally recovering from what happened at high school and is smiling genuinely again. With how I am now I’ll only drag her down with me. Besides, you know me, I’ll end up hurting her, I’m still a bit confused about my feelings towards her, she doesn’t deserve such an indecisive love and I feel like I don’t deserve her.” Myungsoo explained with a sad tone.

“Have you talked to her about this?”

“Of course not, I don’t want to bother her with such trivial matters.”

“Dude you’re doing everything wrong.” Sungkyu replied with a serious tone. “First of all this isn’t a trivial matter; secondly, this is an issue that involves the both of you, if you keep Jiyeon in the dark, how are you both supposed to work this out? And last but not least, stop assuming things for her, it’ll be Jiyeon’s decision if she wants to still be by your side after knowing all your fears and insecurities. But don’t take her will to decide away from her.”

Myungsoo chuckled.

“You’re indeed a lawyer.” Myungsoo just answered.

“I’m serious Myungsoo.” Sungkyu replied seriously.

“I know, I know.” Myungsoo answered trying to put the seriousness aside. “We’ve been discussing about this matter since high school.”

“That’s why you guys should clear things up, if you want to be together or not. I told you this back then and I’ll tell you it once again, you can’t keep going on with this, not deciding if you want to be her friend or her lover; and this time doesn’t have to do with the fact of Jiyeon having a boyfriend, but for the sake of you both; if you don’t clear things up, this’ll have a bad ending.” Sungkyu explained.

 

“So how’s it going between Myungsoo and you?”

Jiyeon and Hyomin were at a restaurant near the university, since they had a free period they decided to go there.

“We’re doing fine, why do you ask?” Jiyeon answered.

“Are you guys finally dating?” Hyomin asked with a smirk.

Jiyeon almost choked with her drink and after coughing she spoke again.

“Why would we even date?”

“Oh come on it’s just so obvious that you like each other.” Hyomin said while resting her chin on her hand.

“I don’t like him.” Jiyeon assured her.

“You don’t?” Hyomin lifted an eyebrow.

“No, we’ve been best friends since years ago, he doesn’t like me and I don’t like him either, I just love him as a friend, nothing more than that.” Jiyeon answered with a smile.

“Is that so?” Hyomin said with a smirk.

“I’m serious here.” Jiyeon answered frowning. “We don’t like each other.”

“Sure, sure I won’t say anything else.” Hyomin said while raising her hands in surrender.

Jiyeon smiled at her and kept eating, Hyomin did the same.

They came back to college for their next class and were chatting cheerfully until Jiyeon spotted someone at the entrance of her classroom.

“Myungsoo?” She asked aloud.

Myungsoo turned to see her and smiled. Hyomin looked at him and then at Jiyeon, the expressions over their faces clearly screamed ‘I love you’, she could just smile and slightly deny with her head.

“Hey, I came to look for you but your classmates told me you were gone during your free period.” Myungsoo explained.

“Oh yes I went to eat something with Hyomin.” Jiyeon answered.

Myungsoo and Hyomin greeted each other and then Myungsoo kept talking to Jiyeon.

“I guess your class is about to start.” Myungsoo said while looking at her classroom.

“Yes, what about you?” She asked.

“I have a free period for the next hour.” Myungsoo said with a sad smile.

“Well it’s not like the class up next is that important.” Hyomin started to say “why don’t you go with him? He seems to be disappointed after knowing you wouldn’t be able to spend this time with him.” She teased.

“Hyomin…” Jiyeon said sighing.

“Is it true?” Myungsoo asked with a bright expression. “Can you come with me?” He asked expectant.

Jiyeon relaxed her expression and smiled at him warmly.

“Sure, let’s go.” She answered him, then turned to see Hyomin. “Um would you please tell me if something important is said in class?”

“Of course.” Hyomin smiled widely at her. “Don’t worry about it, now go before the teacher arrives.”

With that being said Jiyeon and Myungsoo went away. They didn’t went out of the campus so they just went to sit at a bench to talk comfortably.

“How have you been?” Myungsoo asked her while taking her hand.

“I think everything’s fine now.” Jiyeon answered while leaning on his shoulder. “For some reason things have been going smoothly and that’s great.”

“I’m glad to hear that.” Myungsoo answered leaning on her head.

“What about you?” Jiyeon asked him.

Myungsoo remained silent for some minutes.

“Actually I came looking for you because I wanted to tell you something.” Myungsoo answered.

Jiyeon frowned and sat properly again so she could see him.

“What is it?” She asked seriously.

Myungsoo chuckled and put a finger at the frown on her face.

“Hey relax, it’s nothing bad.” The boy smiled. “I got in touch with Sungkyu again.”

“What? Really?” Jiyeon asked surprised. “How did you got in touch again?”

“We met yesterday at a bar.” Myungsoo didn’t like to lie to her but he preferred it before telling her the real reason why they got in touch. “Then we went to his place and had some more drinks there, we ended up fixing the things from the past.” He finished saying with a smile.

“That’s great.” Jiyeon said with a bright smile. “I’m really glad that you both finally fixed things, you had such a great friendship. But…” She doubted about asking something but in the end decided to ask it. “Why did you guys grow apart in the first place?”

Myungsoo got visibly uncomfortable but quickly changed his expression and showed her a smile.

“That’s already in the past there’s no use to bring it back now.”

Jiyeon smiled at him and nodded, acknowledging the conversation of that topic ended there. They kept talking until both had to return to their classes, Myungsoo dropped her at her classroom never letting go of her hand; they bid farewell and Myungsoo went away.

Hyomin quickly got to her side and asked how it all went, Jiyeon answered her it was great and both sat when the teacher arrived. During class Jiyeon was constantly spacing out, because one thought didn’t seem to leave her mind.

Why Myungsoo doesn’t want to tell me the reason of his distancing with Sungkyu? Recently I’ve been feeling like he doesn’t trust in me like before anymore. Jiyeon thought with sadness. Even when he’s near me, why do I feel like we’re just growing apart more and more?

 

Months went by and soon the start of the second year arrived. Bad news along the new start.

Jiyeon sighed for the millionth time that day, she was standing at the entrance of the college waiting for Myungsoo to show up.

What’s happening with you? Jiyeon thought worried.

She got to know from his teachers and classmates that Myungsoo was doing badly at college, actually more than badly. He almost lost the previous year, he was constantly absent from classes and his grades were a mess.

Suddenly Myungsoo appeared and was surprised to see his friend there.

“Jiyeon?” He asked.

“What about walking home together?” Jiyeon smiled at him.

Myungsoo smiled at her and nodded. Both were walking back home in complete silence, the night was calm and the starry sky made it all more peaceful, contrasting with the conversation that was about to take place.

“Myungsoo what’s going on?” Jiyeon suddenly asked.

Myungsoo held her hand more firmly before answering.

“With what?”

Jiyeon sighed heavily and stopped walking, making Myungsoo stop as well.

“You clearly know what I’m talking about, it’s been the same topic since the last year of high school.” Jiyeon explained with a serious tone.

Myungsoo sighed heavily as well.

“Okay I accept that things haven’t been alright recently.” The boy said defeated.

“But what’s-”

“Please don’t.” Myungsoo cut her off. “Don’t ask me about it, I’ll work on it I promise, don’t worry.”

“You’re not going to tell me what’s really going on right?” Jiyeon asked discouraged.

Myungsoo then hugged her.

“I’m sorry I just don’t want you to worry over something like that.”

“I don’t understand why you don’t want me to worry about you, that doesn’t make any sense. I truly don’t understand it.” Jiyeon said a bit angry. “But I respect your wishes, I won’t ask further about it.”

After that she broke the embrace and took his hand again, they walked together to her house and then Myungsoo went to his’.

 

Some weeks later, Jiyeon was chatting cheerfully with the girls. Ever since she and Hyomin became best friends she also grew close with Hyomin’s group of friends and they usually hung out anytime they could.

“Hey Eunjung!”

The girls turned to the source of the voice and Jiyeon saw a group of five boys approaching them.

“Oh hey JR!” Eunjung answered.

“Can we join you?” JR asked.

“Sure!”

Eunjung introduced the boys to Jiyeon, she got to know that JR and Eunjung were childhood friends and the guys got to know each other during high school. They all were really nice and Jiyeon was relieved that she finally wasn’t uncomfortable with strangers anymore.

“You’re Jiyeon?”

Jiyeon turned to look at the guy who sat by her side and smiled at him.

“Yes.” She simply answered.

“Oh hello, my name is Minhyun.” The boy extended a hand towards her.

“It’s a pleasure Minhyun.” Jiyeon answered shaking his hand.

After that both talked for some time, even when the rest were chatting cheerfully between them, Minhyun and Jiyeon were in their own bubble just talking about trivial things. Though the moment wasn’t long since they all had to head back to classes.

“Let’s hang out some other time.” Ren said.

“That’ll be great, let’s coordinate our times and do it.” Boram answered excitedly.

“Well I gotta go now.” Minhyun said to Jiyeon a bit reluctant.

“Yeah me too.” Jiyeon answered while standing up.

“Um Jiyeon.” Minhyun suddenly said after standing up as well.

“Yes?”

“Can I have your phone number?” The boy asked nervously.

Jiyeon smiled at him warmly upon noticing his nervousness.

“Sure.” She answered.

After exchanging numbers everyone bid farewell and went to their classes.

“So, what do you think about Minhyun?” Hyomin teased.

“Don’t start.” Jiyeon said with a chuckle.

“I know, I know, you only got eyes for Myungsoo.” She said with a smirk.

“There you go again.” Jiyeon answered rolling her eyes. “I told you already, I don’t like Myungsoo.” She finished and blushed a bit.

“Alright chill, I’ll stop.” Hyomin said laughing and putting an arm over her shoulders.

 

“I did it.” Minhyun said with relief, leaning his arms over the desk and putting his face over them, finally letting out all the anxiety he felt minutes ago.

“JR he’s about to collapse, it’s all your fault.” Ren said while looking at Minhyun.

“He said he wanted to get to know her, I saw the opportunity and took it.” JR answered shrugging.

“Shut up you both.” Minhyun said still with his face covered.

Before they talked with the girls, JR spotted them talking and out of the blue asked Minhyun if he would like to meet Jiyeon; Minhyun said yes and almost regretted it when he heard him calling Eunjung and then looked ahead them just to see the group of girls looking at them.

At first Jiyeon caught his eye for her beauty but after talking with her, he realized that he’ll end up falling hard for the girl. He couldn’t stop staring at her, her laughter was now his favorite sound and her kindness was out of this world.

To put it simple, he was done for.

“But I guess everything ended up well, right?” Aron said with a smile.

Minhyun lifted his face a bit and put his cellphone in front of his face, staring with a warm smile at the new contact that was now saved in there.

‘Jiyeon’

“More than well I’d say.” The boy answered with happiness.

 

A/N: Our boy Minhyun has officially joined the game!

As always, thank you so so much for reading, and your patience, comments are appreciated ^^ stay safe and have a beautiful day <3