Betrayal

My person

Are you doing homework? 22:30

Yes 22:40

Okay, then I’ll let you do it. Work hard I love you 22:42

Ok 22:50

Jiyeon sighed upon Jungmin’s answer. She didn’t want to be that kind of intense girlfriend that starts to be paranoid. She knew Jungmin would start being busier in college and all, but for some reason, after their discussion of a month ago, Jungmin started to be colder with her, most of times he didn’t answer her calls or texts and when he did, he always tried to cut short the conversation or told her he was busy.

They didn’t speak that much anymore and he didn’t look for her. She didn’t want to think about it, but she started to wonder if the end of their relationship was coming.

She needed someone to talk to, so she tried to call the first person that came to her mind. She dialed Sojin’s number but the girl didn’t answer. She waited a couple of minutes more and tried again but Sojin still didn’t answer. Jiyeon decided to stop trying; maybe her friend was busy with something.

Jiyeon started to feel so alone, she understood that Jungmin was probably still a bit upset about what happened, but they talked about it after the discussion with Myungsoo and both agreed to keep trusting in each other, everything seemed to be alright in that moment, why would Jungmin start to change that much?

She looked for a name in the contacts of her cellphone. She was about to dial Myungsoo’s number but her finger stopped before she could do it. She kept looking at the screen of her cellphone with her finger still about to touch the dial button. Jiyeon sighed in annoyance, locked the screen and threw the cellphone away on her bed.

Forget it. She thought.

Jiyeon then turned off the lights and leaned on her bed. Tears threatening to come out of her eyes.

No. I shouldn’t cry. Maybe Jungmin just needs some time and I can’t ruin everything by calling Myungsoo. I need to deal and get over this kind of things by my own.

Easier said than done. But nonetheless, Jiyeon restrained from calling anyone and just focused on sleeping, to which she didn’t take long.

 

He was answering the last message that Jiyeon sent to him, he thought that with the previous answer she wouldn’t reply again, but the fact that she did answer and even told him that she loved him made him feel guilty, especially when…

“It’s her again? Gosh how annoying.” A female voice said to him.

Jungmin texted Jiyeon back and then turned to see the girl that was on his bed.

“Don’t talk about her like that.” He said to her in a serious tone.

“What? Don’t tell me you care for her, then, why are you doing this with me?” She mocked him with a smile.

Jungmin was about to talk again when the girl’s cellphone started to ring.

“God she’s so naïve” the girl said with a smile “She’s now calling me.”

“Aren’t you going to answer her?” Jungmin asked.

Sojin looked at him with an eyebrow up in disbelief.

“And what do you want me to say to her? Oh sorry Jiyeon but I’m with your boyfriend right now, we’re quite busy so please call me later.” Sojin mocked again.

Jungmin sighed in annoyance. Sojin rolled her eyes and approached him, she started to massage his shoulders.

“Don’t be upset, let’s not let her bother us, so… where were we?” Sojin whispered on his ear.

 

The next day Jiyeon was still feeling down but tried hard to hide it. She didn’t feel like taking classes but she had to, so there she was, sitting on her seat spacing out. Suddenly Sojin entered the classroom and took her seat, Jiyeon looked at how she started to put her belongings over the desk.

“Hi there.” Jiyeon said to her.

“Hello” Sojin answered her with a smile.

She seems to be in a good mood today. Jiyeon thought with a little smile.

“I called you last night but you didn’t answer.” Jiyeon said to her casually trying to make some conversation.

“Oh yes I saw your calls this morning, I’m sorry I was already asleep.” Sojin answered in an apologetic tone.

“Is that so? Don’t worry about it.” Jiyeon answered with a smile.

Sojin nodded to her and started to fix her hair like she always did, Jiyeon sighed acknowledging that the conversation came to an end. She knew Sojin was lying to her, the girl never slept early and she didn’t even ask why she tried to call her. But decided not to focus that much on it. She had more important things to think about.

And one of them was Myungsoo.

A couple of weeks ago Sungkyu talked to Jiyeon about him.

 

“Myungsoo is skipping classes?” Jiyeon asked with a frown.

“Yeah, he started to get along with guys of another class and they tend to skip classes and stuff like that.” Sungkyu told her.

“Have you tried talking to him?” Jiyeon asked with worry.

“I do, but he always says everything’s alright.” Sungkyu answered with frustration “I mean it’s true that it isn’t actually everyday, but it’s starting to be more constant recently.”

 

Jiyeon sighed, she was on her way to meet with the guys at the cafeteria. When she got there, the mood was a bit awkward and she immediately noticed the absence of one of them.

“Again?” Jiyeon asked in frustration.

“Tch, what’s with Myungsoo? Wasn’t he the one who threatened me about not leaving school?” Sungjong said annoyed.

Nobody answered that question and they just remained silent. Jiyeon sat but left her food aside, her appetite suddenly faded away.

“Someone has to make him react about it, if he keeps doing this, I don’t know where it will end.” Hoya said after a sigh of frustration.

Jiyeon stood up and went away. She was going to wait for Myungsoo to come back at the high school entrance, even if that meant skipping classes as well.

Just as she expected, Myungsoo came back almost at the end of the day, he was with some other guys that she didn’t know.

“Myungsoo” She called him.

Myungsoo turned to see her and widened his eyes in surprise.

“Jiyeon what are you doing here?” He asked.

Jiyeon looked at him and then frowned at the boys that were with him.

“Hey Myungsoo let’s hang out some other time.” One of them said.

“Yeah sure.” Myungsoo answered him.

The boys went away and Jiyeon kept frowning at them.

“Who are them?” She asked in a serious tone.

“They’re from other class.” Myungsoo answered.

“Myungsoo what’s going on?” She asked looking at him directly at the eyes.

“About?” He asked back.

“Why are you skipping classes? What’s wrong?” Jiyeon asked in worry.

“So Sungkyu has told you huh?” He said while chuckling.

“He’s only worried about you, as well as I am.” Jiyeon told him.

“You don’t have to worry, I’m only having a little fun before college, that’s all.” Myungsoo said to her nonchalantly.

Jiyeon wanted to believe him, wanted to believe that it was just some random absents to have fun, that it wouldn’t become an habit. But she knew deep down inside it wasn’t the case.

“Hey come on, don’t be upset, I’m serious about it, everything’s under control, I’m just having a little fun, nothing more than that.” Myungsoo tried to cheer her up and ruffled her hair.

Jiyeon looked at him still with a serious expression but there was no longer anger reflected in her gaze, it was replaced with worry. She was about to say something else when the bell announcing the end of the day rang.

“Let’s go for our things, it’s time to go home.” He said to her with that beautiful smile he always gave her.

Jiyeon looked at him as he was going away.

I really hope things won’t take the wrong way.

 

Some weeks passed by and the teachers started to talk with them about the entrance exams, they were getting near so they encouraged everyone to decide which career they were going to study and where. Even when Jiyeon has long decided to study bioengineering, there was something bothering her.

She was pretty excited to study something as cool as bioengineering, but she also knew that helping her classmates and friends with the assignments was something she truly enjoyed to do. A lot of people have told her she would be a great teacher, since she has that ability to explain things in an easier way. So she was starting to have doubts about what to do.

Jiyeon sighed and started to play with her cellphone, her class had a free period so she told Sojin she would go with Myungsoo and the guys, but they turned out to have class so she decided to go back, Sojin wasn’t in there but her cellphone was over her seat, so she assumed the girl went to the restroom or something like that.

After some minutes, she decided to text Jungmin, if she was lucky maybe the boy would be free and they could chat for a while. She sent him a message but the boy never answered, she stared at the screen for a couple of minutes, but even when Jungmin saw her message, he didn’t answer. Jiyeon gave up and started to play again.

“Yeah, it’s Sojin I’m talking about.”

Jiyeon suddenly heard a group of girls gossiping a few seats far from her. At the mention of her friend’s name she started to pay attention to them. Sojin was now the most popular girl at school, so it wasn’t rare to hear rumors about her, but Jiyeon wouldn’t let go anyone who dared to say something bad about her, so she kept listening to them.

“Hey lower your voice” the other girl said “So, you’ve also heard it?”

“Yeah, rumor says she’s already dating someone.” The first girl answered.

“Well it would make sense, she isn’t hitting on everyone anymore and have you seen her recently? She’s always on her cellphone.” Another girl said.

Well that may be the case, I’ve also thought she’s keeping her boyfriend from me. Jiyeon thought.

“Well she has always been on her cellphone to begin with.” One of them said.

“I agree with that, but she sometimes smiles like a fool or giggles, that can’t be because of other thing than texting someone you like, right?” The other girl said.

Jiyeon chuckled a bit by the speculations of the girls, she would try to ask Sojin about it again, if she indeed was dating someone, then why would she try so hard to keep it from her?

She was wondering about it when Sojin’s cellphone received a message. Jiyeon got to see from afar that the message contained some hearts; Sojin and her sometimes took the phone of the other, so now that Sojin wasn’t around she thought it was her opportunity to about it and finally get to know who the mysterious boyfriend was.

She took Sojin’s cellphone and unlocked it, as she was tipping the numbers she started to have an uneasy feeling, as if something inside her told not to look into it. She thought that it maybe was the guilt from taking her phone without permission, but she could always apologize to her, besides it was only to discover the one who her friend was in love with.

The moment the screen got unlocked, Jiyeon opened the conversation and the photo that belonged to the one texting her, seemed familiar to her. So she tapped on it and the moment the image opened, her heart broke.

It was Jungmin.

No, this can’t be, this has to be a lie. She started to think in distress.

She stood up and looked into the contact info and noticed that it was indeed Jungmin’s number, she started to read some of the messages and as she read more of them her heart broke more and more.

Suddenly the cellphone was taken from her hands and when she looked up she faced with a panicked Sojin.

“You…” Jiyeon just managed to say.

“Why were you looking at my phone? Weren’t you with Myungsoo?” Sojin asked a bit altered.

A tear escaped from Jiyeon’s eye and the rage started to build up inside her.

“Was it funny?” Jiyeon asked her with anger.

“Huh? What are you talking about?” Sojin asked with a fake innocent voice.

“Don’t pretend anymore! I saw it! I know that you’re going out with Jungmin! Why?! Why Sojin?!” Jiyeon screamed at her.

Sojin rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, finally letting her charade aside.

“Don’t scream okay? It isn’t that big of a deal.” She answered with annoyance.

“How could you?” Jiyeon started to cry more.

“Oh please don’t cry, he just happened to like me more, so what? Sooner or later you would get to know, it wasn’t supposed to be this way but whatever.” Sojin answered.

“What? So you had it all planned already?” Jiyeon asked in disbelief.

Sojin looked at her and narrowed her eyes.

“Of course, Jungmin and I had already talked about it.” She answered with a smile.

Jiyeon couldn’t believe what she was hearing, in just one moment everything crumbled down, her best friend wasn’t the one she thought, her boyfriend cheated on her and both of them made fun of her behind her back.

She just wanted it to be a nightmare, but indeed reality always hits harder, and the pain she was feeling made her knew it wasn’t a dream.

“How long has it been?” Jiyeon asked defeated.

Sojin thought about it for some seconds before answering.

“Remember that night when you called me and I didn’t answer?” The girl asked with malice.

Jiyeon widened her eyes and her heart sunk even more.

“What?” She just managed to say.

“Wanna take a guess why I didn’t answer and why Jungmin was so cold when he was replying you?” Sojin asked with a smile.

Jiyeon looked at her, Sojin was saying everything so shamelessly that Jiyeon didn’t know what to do or feel. She was angered, hurt, sad and furious, everything was a mess inside her head and tears didn’t seem to stop.

“You’re a-!”

“Okay guys take a seat, class is about to start.” The teacher of the next class cut her off.

Sojin rolled her eyes again and sat, Jiyeon sighed heavily and sat as well. She could feel the gazes of everyone over both of them, but she couldn’t care less. She knew what she had to do.

 

The last class finished and Jiyeon had everything packed up a couple of minutes before the end, when the bell rang, she immediately stood up and got out from the classroom, not even looking at Sojin. Once at the entrance of the school, she called Jungmin and told him to pick her up since an urgent matter came up, without further explanation she hung up.

It wasn’t long before Jungmin appeared, a bit out of air since he rushed to her.

“What is it? Are you okay?” He asked with genuine concern scanning her from head to toes.

Jiyeon’s heart sunk when she saw him like that, she wanted so bad to believe that everything was a lie, something made up by Sojin. But she saw it, she knew it wasn’t a lie.

“I’m okay.” She could only answer, not looking at him, she thought that the moment she looked at him, she would end up forgiving everything and forgetting about what she just got to know.

“Then why did you call me? I came because I thought something bad happened, actually I had an important class right now.” Jungmin said troubled.

“Something bad indeed happened.” Jiyeon answered still not looking at him in the eyes.

“I don’t understand.” Jungmin said confused.

Jiyeon closed her eyes and sighed heavily, she could feel tears gathering in her eyes; even when she previously decided not to cry in front of him, she was hurt and she would say what she wanted to, it didn’t matter if she ended up crying.

She opened her eyes again and looked at him, tears indeed escaped her eyes and Jungmin widened his eyes, a worried expression could be seen over his face and quickly tried to dry the tears with his fingers but Jiyeon took a step behind.

“Why?” She asked him.

Jungmin frowned in confusion and worry, denying with his head to let her know he didn’t understand.

“Why did you cheat on me with Sojin?!” She screamed at him.

Jungmin froze at his spot and Jiyeon noticed him becoming pale.

“Ji- Jiyeon I didn’t chea-”

“Don’t even try to deny it.” Jiyeon said to him with a sad chuckle “I saw it. I saw the conversations between you both and she just confirmed it to me.”

Jungmin was completely troubled and didn’t know what to say. His silence gave Jiyeon the answer. She felt terrible, her boyfriend and her best friend, how she wished everything was a lie.

“Why Jungmin? With my best friend, she was my best friend! What were you thinking?!” She asked him upset.

“She was never your friend.” Jungmin answered with his gaze down.

“So that’s enough reason for you to cheat on me with her?” She asked in disbelief.

“I’m sorry.” He said.

Jiyeon chuckled in disbelief she couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

“I guess there’s nothing left between you and me huh?” She said with sadness.

Jungmin still remained silent so Jiyeon was the one to take the decision for both of them.

“I’ll stop being on your way then.” Jiyeon said drying her tears with her hand “Let’s breakup, I don’t want to see you again.”

“I think that’s the best for us right now.” Jungmin simply answered.

Jiyeon frowned, it was all so easy for him, she was angry and hurt by the fact that he didn’t even tried to fight for her, by how easily he was letting go of them, by how easily he was just washing his hands and getting away with what he had done.

But she didn’t have the forces to keep talking to him, she turned around and started to walk away. She knew he wouldn’t go for her and she confirmed it when she turned around and Jungmin was also going on his way in the opposite direction.

Jiyeon broke down crying and quickly walked away from there. She reached a nearby park and sat on a bench, letting all out. Her phone suddenly rang, she answered without looking at the screen.

“Jiyeon! Where are you? Why don’t you come with us?” Myungsoo’s voice came out from the device and she could hear the rest of the boys in the background chatting cheerfully “We’re at the noodle shop from before and it would be great if you-”

Myungsoo got cut off by a sob from Jiyeon, even when she tried to contain them, one escaped from her lips.

“Jiyeon are you okay?” Myungsoo’s voice changed its tone completely to a worried one and the sound of the background became less.

“Myungsoo…” She just managed to say in between sobs.

“Where are you now?” Myungsoo asked her.

“The park nearby school.” She answered.

Myungsoo hung up and Jiyeon put her cellphone away, she continued to cry, for some reason the tears didn’t seem to want to stop anytime soon. She couldn’t go back home like that, so she decided to stay there until she let it all out and calmed down.

A couple of minutes passed by and she suddenly saw someone standing in front of her.  She looked up and saw Myungsoo’s worried gaze. The boy immediately seemed to relax a bit when he saw her safe and sound, but his expression then changed to a sad one.

“Jiyeon…” He said with a gentle tone.

The girl couldn’t stand it anymore and got up to embrace him. The boy immediately embraced her as well and Jiyeon cried in his arms without restrain. Even in that moment and circumstance, his sole presence helped a bit to comfort her.

 

A/N: Double update this week! ^^ I hope you enjoy it, even if our girl Jiyeon got to suffer a lot in this chapter :(

As always, thank you so so much for reading, comments are appreciated ^^ stay safe and have a beautiful day <3