Ambivalence

My person

Jiyeon just kept staring at the screen of her phone, there was a turmoil inside her head, she didn’t know what to feel. Was she supposed to be angry? Or maybe sad? Probably happy?

Minhyun suddenly turned to see her since he was about to ask her something but noticed she was blankly staring at her phone, he frowned and approached her. Jiyeon didn’t even react when he was by her side.

“Hey are you okay?” He worriedly asked her in a whisper.

Jiyeon turned to look at him and opened to say something but immediately closed it, so she just showed him her phone. Minhyun looked at the screen and widened his eyes when he saw what was in it. He sighed and looked sadly at her.

Jiyeon didn’t trust her voice so she just smiled at him and shook her head trying to just put that topic aside and focus on the conversation with the rest of the guys. Though Minhyun wouldn’t let her get away with it.

“Hey since you can’t decide, we’ll go for some snacks, do you want something?” Minhyun suddenly announced and put an arm over her shoulders.

“Yeah a soda for me please.” Hyomin said while raising her hand.

“Same.” JR answered.

Minhyun nodded and dragged Jiyeon out from there. She didn’t know if she was thankful or angry because of Minhyun’s action. She really didn’t want to talk about that, she knew that the moment she started to talk, she would cry and hell she didn’t want that.

Surprisingly Minhyun didn’t say a thing, they silently walked to buy some snacks for everyone and the sodas. When they were on their way back, Jiyeon was the one who talked.

“Won’t you ask me about what you saw?”

Jiyeon almost cursed inside her head. Why did she ask him that? She didn’t want to talk about it, right? Then why?

Minhyun stopped and turned to look at her with a warm smile.

“No, I won’t ask. I know that you’ll talk to me when you’re ready, so I’ll wait.”

Damn stop being so gentle. Jiyeon thought. You’re only making it harder.

“It’s just that… I don’t know what to feel.” Jiyeon started to talk.

Minhyun looked and listened attentively at her.

“I still don’t know what I did so wrong for Myungsoo to distance from me like that.” She sadly chuckled. “I’m still sad and angry at him, a lot to be honest and with this, those feelings just became bigger. I just want to go where he is and scream at him all that I’m feeling and ask him for answers.”

Jiyeon angrily dried the tears that started to come out from her eyes, she hated to feel like that because of Myungsoo, it wasn’t like her to behave as pitiful as that.

“But you know what’s worse?” She asked him with a smile. “That I can’t be angry with Nana.” She chuckled and shook her head briefly. “Why would I? She’s a good girl, one of the best I’ve known and she obviously doesn’t know about what happened between Myungsoo and me. And even if she did, it’s not her fault at all.”

Minhyun silently listened at her, he just let her vent it all out, she needed to do it before she exploded.

“What I want to say is, the world truly is small, don’t you think so?”

Minhyun smiled warmly at her and dried the last tear that fell from her eyes.

“Well we live in the same city so those kinds of things are mostly to happen.”

Jiyeon chuckled and lightly punched his arm.

“You’re not helping.” She replied with a smile.

“Well I made you smile so it’s worth it.” The boy answered before starting to walk again.

Jiyeon followed him with her eyes, she tilted her head while staring at his back, a warm smile made appearance.

You really are amazing Minhyun.

After that brief talk, Jiyeon genuinely felt better and they returned with their friends who finally decided what movie to watch. She had a great time, it was an evening full of smiles, laughs and jokes. Minhyun and Jiyeon constantly stole glances and smiled, something that Hyomin obviously noticed and just smirked everytime she caught them.

 

Months went by and things remained quite the same, Jiyeon was doing fine and the issue with Myungsoo was little by little starting to hurt less, well at least when she didn’t see anything about him, which was a bit hard. Nana constantly posted photos of them together and smiling, so there were days when it was kind of hard for her to not feel bad.

Suddenly, Nana contacted her one day.

Jiyeon thought that maybe Myungsoo told Nana something about her, since Nana never spoke to her again after she started dating Myungsoo, though Jiyeon also didn’t try to contact her, so when Nana sent the message, she was taken aback.

Nana asked for her phone number and Jiyeon gave it to her, some minutes later the girl called her.

“Jiyeon, it’s been so long how’ve you been doing?”

Jiyeon smiled upon Nana’s excited voice, she actually forgot how lively the girl was.

“Hey there, yeah it’s been some time, I’m doing fine, what about you?”

“Quite good, things at work are good though it’s still boring without you there.”

Jiyeon could almost see her pouting after saying that, she chuckled before answering.

“Hey come on, I bet you’re having too much fun now that I’m not there to scold you.”

“Kind of.” The girl mischievously answered.

They kept talking about trivial things for a while, until they reached a point where both remained silent.

“You actually want to ask me something, right?” Jiyeon said a bit more serious.

“You caught me.” Nana answered with a chuckle.

“Well, I’m all ears.” Jiyeon said.

Nana took a deep breath, then sighed and made the question.

“Do you know Myungsoo?”

Jiyeon knew that moment would eventually come, she felt chills run through her body and the coldness invaded the space where she was. She knew she couldn’t delay much in her answer, so she just gave a brief one.

“Yes.”

“Really? Why you never told me? I know you’ve seen the photos I uploaded.” Nana cheerfully talked.

But Jiyeon knew better behind that cheerfulness, Nana was looking for answers, maybe because of something that Myungsoo told her.

“Well we used to be really good friends that’s all, I didn’t think that would be something relevant at all.”

“You used to? Then you’re not friends anymore?”

Jiyeon smiled sadly, she thought that everything was in the past now but it still hurt, more than she imagined. What was she supposed to answer? That she didn’t know the answer to that question? That they actually used to be more than friends?

She then said those bitter words.

“No, we aren’t friends anymore.”

“Oh, is that it?” She answered.

Nana remained silent for some seconds, almost as if she didn’t know what to say. Until she suddenly spoke again.

“Well, I guess you have things to do so I’ll go now.”

“Okay, take care Nana, it was great talking to you again.” Jiyeon politely said.

“Same, take care Jiyeon, I hope we can see each other again.” The girl answered.

After that, they ended the call and Jiyeon sighed heavily. She put her cellphone aside and sat on the couch, closing her eyes while putting a hand over her face.

Damn, what the hell was that?

>>You used to? Then you’re not friends anymore?

>>No, we aren’t friends anymore.

Jiyeon took the hand off her face and opened her eyes.

“Well that’s true after all. It’s better if I get used to the fact that we don’t have anything to do with each other anymore.”

 

Days later she went out to eat something with Hyomin, the girls cheerfully talked about their new lifes and how everything was going. Jiyeon obviously told her about her conversation with Nana and Hyomin was really interested in it.

“Wait, you told her you and Myungsoo aren’t friends anymore?” Hyomin asked confused.

“Well, yes.” Jiyeon answered as if it was obvious.

“Why would you say that?”

“If you think about it, we actually aren’t friends anymore.” Jiyeon started to explain.

Hyomin remained silent so Jiyeon kept talking.

“We haven’t talked at all in months, he doesn’t seem to want to have anything to do with me.”

“Well if you put it that way.” Hyomin could only say.

And that was true, Jiyeon was aware that no matter how hard those words were, it was a fact that Myungsoo and her weren’t friends anymore.

She confirmed it even more weeks later when she came across Sungkyu in the mall.

 

“Jiyeon?”

The girl turned around and was encountered with Sungkyu, she showed him a big smile before answering.

“Sungkyu! It’s been so long how’ve you been?”

Sungkyu gave her a hug before answering.

“I’ve been good, what about you?”

“Same here.” Jiyeon answered.

Sungkyu looked at her for some seconds before speaking again.

“Do you have time sweetie? What about a coffee?” He suggested.

Jiyeon smiled, she missed being called like that.

“Sounds like a plan.”

They went to a near coffee shop and started to talk about everything, about their current life and also about the past.

Jiyeon was really glad to talk to Sungkyu again, even when they got in touch again through phone, she actually hadn’t seen him since high school, it was great to see him again.

“So you now work as a teacher, it actually suits you, you are great at teaching.” Sungkyu said with a smile.

“Yeah, after wanting to be an engineer it’s quite a change.”

“Kind of. To be honest I was worried about you wanting to become an engineer, since it wasn’t something you genuinely liked, you were just doing what seemed like the best according to what everyone told you.” Sungkyu remarked. “I’m glad to see you doing something you enjoy.”

Jiyeon actually never thought about it, but Sungkyu was right. Back then she thought about the idea of being an engineer because her teachers told her it would be a great option since she was good at school and also because of Jungmin since it would be easier for them to see each other if they studied at the same university.

Jiyeon chuckled a bit and then took a sip from her coffee. Things really had change.

“So there’s still something we need to talk about Jiyeon.” The girl looked at him and remained silent. “What happened between Myungsoo and you?”

Jiyeon looked away and chuckled sadly.

“Well, you should know better than me, right?”

Sungkyu sighed and talked again.

“I guess you already know he’s dating someone.”

“Yeah, he’s dating Nana.”

Sungkyu frowned in confusion.

“You know her?”

Jiyeon took another sip of her coffee before answering.

“Yeah, we used to work together and we’re actually friends.” Jiyeon explained him.

Sungkyu just nodded in acknowledgment and then also took a sip of his coffee.

“Are they doing fine?” Jiyeon asked out of impulse.

“Well… yes.” Sungkyu doubted to answer. “Myungsoo is actually doing better, Nana seems to help him a lot to pull himself together.”

Jiyeon chuckled and sighed. She wouldn’t say that she wasn’t glad to hear that, she was really happy to hear that Myungsoo was doing better; but she also felt hurt about it.

“Jiyeon, what in the world happened between you two?” Sungkyu asked with a sad tone.

“I don’t know Sungkyu, as you know, Myungsoo just one day stopped answering me and we started to become distant. We haven’t talk in a long time and he doesn’t seem to want to know anything about me.”

Sungkyu listened attentively at her.

“I don’t know if he told you this but I actually confessed to him, that’s when everything started to crumble. Maybe if I never confessed to him, none of this would’ve happened.”

Sungkyu placed a hand over her’s, Jiyeon looked at him with watery eyes.

“Hey, don’t ever regret loving someone.” Sungkyu gently started to say. “Things may not always end up like you wish but loving someone is the proof of the huge heart you have.”

Jiyeon smiled at him and dried the tears that were gathered in her eyes.

“You better not tell him that I was crying for him.” The girl joked with him.

Sungkyu chuckled and freed her hand, then leaned on his seat.

“Don’t worry about it, I won’t.”

After that they kept talking about some other things, they spent a good time together and they eventually had to part ways. They went out of the coffee shop and bid farewell, Jiyeon was about to go away when Sungkyu spoke again.

“Hey sweetie.”

Jiyeon turned around to see him.

“Maybe I’m not in the position to say this but I still have to say it.”

Jiyeon looked confused at him and Sungkyu spoke again.

“Myungsoo isn’t a bad guy, he just…”

Jiyeon smiled and chuckled.

“I know, don’t worry.” She genuinely said.

Sungkyu smiled sadly at her and bid farewell again, Jiyeon did the same and they went on their own way.

 

For some reason, after her talk with Sungkyu she actually felt better. Maybe it was the fact that she talked about everything she was feeling with someone who was directly involved with the issue.

Whichever the reason was, she felt lighter.

Some days later, Minhyun called her, he invited her to a date at his house. Jiyeon didn’t doubt this time and agreed.

She told Hyomin about it and her friend actually encouraged her, she told her that maybe it was already time for her to get over Myungsoo and start looking at her surroundings.

Jiyeon of course knew what Jiyeon was trying to imply but she thought that maybe, just maybe, her friend was actually right. She was also tired of the situation with Myungsoo and it was obvious that it wouldn’t change.

 

The day arrived and she went to Minhyun’s house.

The boy received her and Jiyeon looked at the house. It was a nice place, Jiyeon immediately felt comfortable.

“So what do you want to have for dinner?” Minhyun suddenly asked her.

Jiyeon could see how nervous the boy was, she smiled upon seeing that.

“Anything is fine, we can look for something and order it.” The girl answered with a smile.

“Well I actually wanted to cook something for you.” Minhyun confessed a bit embarrassed.

“Oh really? I didn’t know you cook.” Jiyeon said a bit surprised. “If that’s the case then what about you surprise me with something?”

Minhyun smiled at her.

“Sure, please expect it.” He excitedly answered.

Jiyeon sat at the couch while waiting for Minhyun to cook the dinner, the boy actually didn’t take that long and he quickly came back to her side.

“That was really fast you know?” She praised.

“I didn’t make anything too hard, I chose something quick and tasty.” Minhyun explained with a smile.

“Well if that’s the case then we better eat it while it’s still hot.” Jiyeon excitedly suggested.

Minhyun nodded and guided her to the table, he then went to the kitchen and served the plates. It turned out that he cooked some pasta, Jiyeon smiled when she saw the food and they started eating the moment Minhyun took a seat.

The dinner was full of compliments towards Minhyun and the boy was becoming redder with each praise Jiyeon made to him.

“Seriously Minhyun this is one of the best pasta I’ve ever had.”

“Hey come on, that’s too much.” Minhyun timidly said.

“I’m serious here. I promise to repay you with something awesome as well.” Jiyeon answered with a smile.

Minhyun smiled back and then spoke again.

“Actually there’s something that’d be perfect.”

“Just say it.” Jiyeon answered.

“You remember the promise we made once?” Jiyeon tilted her head and frowned a bit. “We promised that someday I’d sing for you and you’d play the piano for me.”

Jiyeon widened her eyes in acknowledgment.

“Oh that’s right, we made that promise.” She answered with a big smile. “We have to fulfill it, just put a date and we can make that.”

Minhyun smiled and nodded.

They finished dinner after that conversation and then decided to watch a movie. During the movie none of them spoke, they were just comfortably watching the movie in silence.

When the movie was about to end, Minhyun was the one who broke the silence.

“Jiyeon.”

“Hm?”

Since Minhyun didn’t answer after that, Jiyeon turned to look at him and she was faced with Minhyun’s serious and determined gaze. She held his gaze, she wasn’t stupid, of course she knew what was about to come.

“I don’t know up until which extent this is right or not, but for some reason I can’t change the way I feel towards you. I tried to be a good friend and nothing more than that, but in the end I guess I wasn’t able to do it.”

Jiyeon just listened to him in completely silence, not looking away even once.

Minhyun closed his eyes for a moment, sighed heavily and then opened them again to look straight at Jiyeon’s eyes.

“I love you Jiyeon.”

 

A/N: Just two chapters left for the end! 

As always, thank you so so much for reading, and your patience, comments are appreciated ^^ stay safe and have a beautiful day <3