Attachment

My person

Jiyeon was lying on her bed just like the whole previous week. She didn’t want to hear anything about college or school. It’s been two weeks since the end of the year and she still wasn’t willing to talk to anybody, not even Sungkyu and the boys.

It was quite a surprise for her not to pass the entrance exam, she still didn’t get it. How come she failed it? She felt pretty confident about it and actually felt like it wasn’t that hard, but it seems that she overestimated herself.

She sighed heavily and closed her eyes, remembering the hell her life became the last weeks of high school.

 

After getting to know that she failed the exam, Jiyeon became really depressed about it, even when her parents assured her it was alright, it wasn’t like that for her. She was really confused and mad about it. Sungkyu also talked with her and told her it wasn’t that bad, she still could enroll at another university or wait until next year to try it again. Even when Sungkyu and her friends managed to cheer her up at first, things went downhill when that stupid rumor started to fire up.

She didn’t have a certain proof but she was sure Sojin was the one who started that damn rumor, since she couldn’t think of anyone else who would hold a grudge against her. People were saying that Jiyeon wasn’t actually as smart as she claimed and she only obtained good grades because of some ‘special favors’ she did to the teachers. Jiyeon was at disbelief when she first heard those things. She had never heard such a ridiculous statement.

Even when she really tried hard to clear up the rumor, nobody seemed to believe her since she failed the exam that almost everyone passed. She tried talking with the ones she helped throughout her high school life, be it with some topics, homeworks or exams, but no one was willing to be on her side; even those who she helped a lot of times joined the rest of the people who were convinced of those rumors. When teachers got to know that and tried to defend her, just made things worse; so Jiyeon had no other choice but to put up with it and try to bear with it until the end of the year.

So the last weeks that remained of class, she no longer talked and spent the less time she could at school; she chose to stay at the classroom during lunchtime, was the last one to arrive at classes and the first one to leave.

Sungkyu and the guys tried to help her cool down the rumors but nobody believed them, since it was known they were best friends, therefore, they would obviously support Jiyeon. Myungsoo constantly got into fights with guys who spoke badly about Jiyeon, so he got suspended quite often. Jiyeon was feeling bad about it and also made her feel all alone, the days where Myungsoo was around were at least bearable, but when he wasn’t, it was like a living hell. She tried talking with him and asking him to stop fighting but Myungsoo couldn’t remain still the moment he heard someone speak nonsense about her.

So, with Myungsoo being gone most of the time and with her secluding herself from everyone, even from Sungkyu and the guys, her last weeks of school passed by like that, all alone.

 

Jiyeon opened her eyes again and took her cellphone, she started to look into her social media and saw some photos from the prom party which just took place some days ago. She looked at how everyone seemed so happy and cheered up, she sighed in annoyance when she came across a photo of Sojin. She locked her cellphone and left it aside.

She still couldn’t understand what she did to deserve such treatment from everyone. She always only tried to help everyone with what she could, and when Sojin started to speak to her, she was utterly happy to finally being able to find a friend aside of Myungsoo and the guys, and when Jungmin asked her out everything just seemed so perfect. Where do things started to go downhill? Where did she make the mistake?

Enough Jiyeon. The girl thought in annoyance. Stop pitying yourself, things turned out like this, just face it.

She sat up and started browsing for other universities. She also started to think about changing her career, maybe she could actually enroll into what she really wanted to do. Therefore, she started to look for colleges that offered the program in education. While she was into that, her cellphone suddenly received a call. She was unsure about answering, but decided it had been enough of seclusion already, so she took the call.

“Hi there.” She tried to sound cheerful.

“To be honest I didn’t actually expect that you’d answer me. I’m happy to finally hear your voice.” Myungsoo answered with a warm voice.

“Hey, it wasn’t that long.” Jiyeon said “How are you doing?”

“I’m the one who should be asking that, how are you doing?” Myungsoo asked concerned.

“I was the first one to ask so you should answer me first.” Jiyeon teased.

But Myungsoo remained silent, that was the moment Jiyeon thought something was off with him, it seemed like he actually didn’t want to answer that question.

“Myungsoo, are you okay?” Jiyeon asked him now a bit concerned.

Myungsoo sighed before speaking happily again.

“How about going out? I want to see you, we can talk there.” He suggested.

Even when Jiyeon wasn’t actually in the mood to go outside, she really wanted to see him, besides, she was now really worried about him.

“Sure! Where do we meet?” Jiyeon asked.

“The same park as always, what do you think?” Myungsoo replied.

“Sounds like a plan, see you there in an hour.” Jiyeon said.

“Alright.” Myungsoo answered before hanging up.

 

Jiyeon quickly got dressed and ready to go out, she was wondering why Myungsoo would be so reluctant to talk about himself. She sighed and looked at herself in the mirror one last time before heading to the park. It was a sunny and pretty day, such a nice view to be honest, Jiyeon thought that maybe she should go out more often and not let all those negative thoughts destroy her that much.

She quickly reached the park and looked for Myungsoo, however she couldn’t find him, so she decided to wait for him sitting over the grass. While she waited, she was looking at the people there, the kids that played cheerfully enjoying their vacations, the couples that smiled at each other and some others that went there just for a walk. She smiled when suddenly a box of donuts blocked her sight, she looked above her to face a smiling Myungsoo looking at her.

“Seriously? Donuts?” Jiyeon asked him with a smile as well.

Myungsoo sat beside her and opened the box giving one donut to her.

“Hey it’s been a while, just eat it, alright?” Myungsoo answered her.

“I missed you.” Jiyeon said to him while taking the donut.

Myungsoo smiled at her, but Jiyeon noticed it, the sadness he was trying to hide behind that little smile. Myungsoo took a donut as well, when both finished eating, Jiyeon spoke again.

“I know there’s something wrong, won’t you tell me what it is?” She asked not looking at him.

Myungsoo looked at her briefly before answering.

“I’ll let you know, but first tell me about you.”

Jiyeon then looked at him and frowned, she couldn’t understand why Myungsoo wouldn’t let her know what was bothering him. Myungsoo seemed to notice that and also looked at her.

“I promise you I’ll tell you, trust me, it’s just that I want to know about you first.” He explained with a little smile.

Jiyeon sighed acknowledging that he wouldn’t tell her anything unless she spoke.

“I think it’s actually not that bad, you know the last weeks of high school were like a living hell. But I think I’m getting over it little by little; right now what I’m more worried about is what to do from now on.” Jiyeon started to explain while playing with her fingers nervously “I mean, more than one person told me that I would be a great teacher and to be honest I really enjoy teaching others, so I’ve been thinking if I should give it a try.”

Myungsoo listened attentively to her, the mood suddenly dropped completely, for some reason Jiyeon was feeling anxious and her hands also increased the previous nervous movements. Myungsoo then put a hand over hers and Jiyeon remained silent, not looking at him.

“It’s alright to still feel bad about it, don’t force yourself to be ‘okay’, what happened was really hard for you and no one’s going to question that, I’m here.” Myungsoo told her with a warm voice.

Jiyeon then leaned her head on his shoulder, she wasn’t in the mood to cry she just wanted to lean on him and feel him. Myungsoo tensed up a bit by Jiyeon’s sudden action but immediately relaxed and started to her hair. She started to relax; Myungsoo’s sole presence always gave her immense peace, she didn’t know how he managed to do it, but she’ll always feel calm whenever she was with him.

“I think you should give it a try.” Myungsoo started to say “If being a teacher is something that you like, I don’t see why you shouldn’t try it. Actually there’s an university near here that offers the program in education.”

Jiyeon then frowned and sat straight again while looking at him.

“Why do you know that?” She asked a bit confused.

Everyone knew that Myungsoo wanted to be a doctor, therefore his parents already had an university planned for him, why would he know about some other universities when it was already decided where he would enroll?

“I’ll be attending that university.” He answered monotonously.

“Huh?” Jiyeon just managed to say. Myungsoo remained silent so Jiyeon spoke again “But weren’t you going to the medical school? What happened?”

Myungsoo sighed heavily, Jiyeon looked attentively at him, the boy had a troubled expression over his face. She then knew that this probably was the thing that was troubling him. What in the world could’ve happened for things to turn out like this?

“Well I came across some difficulties to actually get in.” Myungsoo started to speak trying to sound nonchalantly “As you may have guessed, my grades dropped a lot during last year and I also got into kind of an argument with my parents so now they no longer support me.”

Jiyeon frowned again and took one of Myungsoo’s hands into her’s. She was able to see the sadness and frustration behind his eyes, maybe he wasn’t willing to say it out loud but it was as clear as water that he was hurt.

She took him in her arms and started to pat his back in an attempt to comfort him a little.

“Everything’s going to be okay.” She said with a warm voice “If we try to see the good thing among all of this, at least we’ll have each other.”

Myungsoo smiled and broke the embrace, he then put a strand of Jiyeon’s hair behind her ear.

“Well then.” He turned to grab a donut and put it in front of her face “Let’s celebrate for having each other at this new start.”

Jiyeon smiled and took the donut.

“Cheers.” She said with a laugh before starting to eat.

They stayed there until they finished the donuts of the box, after that they decided to walk randomly around the park. At some point they reached a fountain and stayed there for some time.

“Remember the first time we were here?” Myungsoo suddenly asked.

“Of course, there’s no way I would forget it” Jiyeon answered while laughing “You fell into the fountain and walked home completely drenched.”

“Hey don’t laugh, it was totally embarrassing.” Myungsoo said.

“Nobody told you to get in there.” Jiyeon teased.

“It’s not like I went inside because I wanted to, it was all Sungkyu’s fault.” Myungsoo answered.

But almost immediately an awkward silence took place. Jiyeon knew it, talking about Sungkyu or the boys, was a sensible topic for Myungsoo.

“You two still don’t talk to each other?” Jiyeon asked.

Myungsoo remained silent and Jiyeon was about to ask something else when he spoke.

“Don’t ask more.” He said firmly.

Jiyeon then knew the topic was closed, that question ‘what happened between you two?’, she was starting to guess she’ll never get an answer to it.

Myungsoo then smiled at her and took her hand.

“One day, I’ll tell you about it, but today I want to only focus on you.” He said with a smile.

Jiyeon also smiled at him in understanding and both kept walking through the park, hands not letting go of each other.

 

Some weeks passed by, Jiyeon decided to enroll at the university Myungsoo suggested, she’d become a teacher.

Myungsoo also went to enroll into it, when he finished all the formalities to get in, he sat on a bench and his mind started to play a scene he so wanted to forget.

 

“What’s the meaning of this?!” His mother yelled at him while throwing his grades at him.

“Mother…” Myungsoo was only able to say.

“I don’t know what’s gotten into you recently, you’re constantly suspended, you get into trouble almost daily be it in the school or the street and now this!.” She said to him utterly mad.

Myungsoo could only hang his head low, receiving the scolding.

“How do you plan to fix this?” His father’s voice suddenly could be heard.

Myungsoo tensed up, he knew that if his father took place into the conversation, it was definitely because he was in trouble.

“You know you can’t get into medical school with these grades.” He finished saying.

“Maybe I can compensate it with something else.” Myungsoo suggested.

His father chuckled, he knew exactly what his son was referring to.

“Really? And who do you think will help you?”

Myungsoo frowned in confusion.

“You mean…?” He only managed to say.

“I won’t use my contact anymore, I had a lot of faith in you but you only disappointed me; I’m not interested in a son that’ll only have this kind of behavior and will make me lose face with people around me. From now on, it’s your own problem, I don’t care if you continue studying or not, that’ll be something you’ll solve.”

Myungsoo felt like the whole world suddenly fell over his shoulders, there was no way he could change his father’s mind and he knew there was no room for further discussion, he could just give up on being a doctor, he could already feel tears threatening to come out. But he had to endure it at least a bit more, since he still had something else to say to them.

“I understand” he started to say “Next week will be the graduation ceremony it will be at-“

“We won’t attend” his mother cut him off with an angry voice “There’s no way we’ll be attending that ceremony, as your father said, we would only lose face with everyone else, I’m not willing to be ashamed that way.”

“So you’re saying I’m a shame for you?” Myungsoo asked her almost automatically.

Neither of his parents answered, so Myungsoo understood. He just retreated to his room, tears coming out from his eyes and soul crashed.

 

Myungsoo sighed angrily when he felt the sadness crawling up from his chest.

“It’s not that big of a deal Myungsoo, you’ll be able to make it.” He said to himself.

 

The first day of college was like a breath of fresh air for Jiyeon, going to a new place where nobody knew her or what happened, was so great to her. She quickly looked for Myungsoo but she then thought that she didn’t actually know where to look for him. The last time they saw each other was at the park and didn’t contact each other after that. She hoped to see him at least once during the day.

She went to her assigned classroom and took a seat; she looked briefly at everyone but was a little scared to start conversation with someone, so she decided to just wait for the class to start. It wasn’t long before the start of the class. As she expected, classes weren’t really different from each other, since it was the first day, all of them were reduced to introducing yourself and getting to know each other.

It wasn’t strange that the day ended early, so Jiyeon decided to take the chance to walk through the campus, since it was quite big it was better to get to know it as soon as possible.

While she was into that, someone suddenly approached and talked to her.

“You’re Jiyeon right?” The girl in front of her asked.

Jiyeon froze for an instant and started to panic, thinking that maybe she knew her from before, therefore she knew about her past.

Relax Jiyeon, you’ve never seen her before, she can’t know you, calm down. She tried to calm herself.

“Um, yes” She answered a bit uncomfortable.

“Oh sorry I didn’t mean to trouble you.” The girl said acknowledging her awkwardness "My name is Hyomin, we’re in the same class.” She finished with a smile.

Jiyeon sighed innerly with relief, she really didn’t want to have someone who knew her in there.

“Nice to meet you.” Jiyeon answered politely with a smile.

Hyomin was about to say something else when the voice of another girl could be heard.

“Hyomin!”

Hyomin turned around and smiled at them. Jiyeon look to their direction. A group of four girls were approaching them and Jiyeon couldn’t help but to start being nervous.

“Oh Eunjung-ah come here I want to introduce someone to you guys.” Hyomin answered cheerfully.

Jiyeon wanted to escape in that moment, meeting so many people at once wasn’t in her plan of that day, but she thought that would be rude and will probably lead to misunderstandings so she decided to stay.

The girls reached them and Hyomin introduced them.

“Girls this is Jiyeon, we’re in the same class. Jiyeon these are Soyeon, Eunjung, Boram and Kyuri.” Hyomin said while signaling each girl.

They exchanged greetings and Jiyeon smiled at them. She was starting to think that maybe she was smiling too much.

“Hey we were thinking of going to Soyeon’s house, you coming?” Eunjung asked Hyomin.

“Sure!” Hyomin answered excitedly “Oh, Jiyeon do you want to-?”

“No thanks” Jiyeon cut her off “Um actually I got things to do but thanks for the offer.”

Damn it, I cut her off she’ll probably be angry now. Jiyeon thought with regret.

“Is that so?” Hyomin asked calmly “Well maybe some other time, we’ll see each other at class.” The girl finished and bid farewell to her, the rest of the girls did the same.

She didn’t get angry. Jiyeon thought with disbelief. Thank god, I thought that I would get into trouble in the first day.

 

Myungsoo’s classes ended early as well, so he looked for Jiyeon, it wasn’t long before he found her. She was standing in the middle of a hall lost in her thoughts; he smiled and walked to her. He embraced her from behind and she got startled by him.

“Why are you so distracted?” He asked her with a smile.

Jiyeon relaxed when she heard his voice and chuckled.

“Hello there, I was thinking of looking for you.” Jiyeon answered with a smile.

“I found you first. But tell me, what is it that you were so thoughtful about just now?” Myungsoo asked with curiosity.

“I met some girls right now.” Jiyeon answered him.

Myungsoo frowned and broke the embrace to stand in front of her.

“Did they do something to you?” He asked in a protective tone.

“That’s not it, it’s actually the opposite, they were really nice.” She answered with a smile.

Myungsoo visibly relaxed and took her hand.

“Well maybe this time you can try to make some new friends.” He said in an attempt to encourage her.

“Yes. I’ll try to make it.” She answered with a smile.

“Let’s go home.” Myungsoo said after patting her head and leading her out of the campus.

And just like that, the first day of college came to an end, with the meeting of new people and the hold of a warm and supporting hand that felt like home.

 

 

A/N: Another chapter is up! Hey guys, Tsuki here ^^ I want to thank all of you for reading My person. I  originally intended to update this story weekly actually I already had a schedule for it, but as you may have noticed this update took me a while. I'm sorry about that. I want to tell you all that updates unfortunately will be irregular, there are some heavy stuff going on right now on my life so it's been hard to keep going with my original schedule. I'll continue updating and I'll work hard to try to update more regularly.

As always, thank you so so much for reading, and your patience, comments are appreciated ^^ stay safe and have a beautiful day <3