Of unwanted returns and lost planet statuses

Leave the light on (for me)

After that - let's call it 'incident' - with Jimin, the two of them try to tone it down a notch or two with the morsing.

Which consequently means they are back to ranting and bickering and, well. To Taehyung talking Jeongguk's ears off. Now more than ever.

What's cool is, Jeongguk doesn't just cut him off when his topics get too weird for common folks - neither do Baekhyun and Minjae, but with Jeongguk he just feels like the other is actively listening - and indulges him even at times.

There are exceptions though.

Like now.

Taehyung knows Jeongguk is doing his best to keep up, the younger's eyes darting around as if trying to follow the stream of Taehyung's thoughts but never quite catching up. And Taehyung appreciates it, he really does. Loves that his - he internally swoons - boyfriend puts in the effort to keep up with the conversation because not everybody does. Many people don't. The older pauses to throw him a soft smile and leans forward for a quick sweet peck before picking up where he left.

Jeongguk gapes at him, a little in shock. Didn't see the peck coming it seems. Taehyung grins down at him and rightens himself where he's sat on Jeongguk's lap, both of them challenging the office chair to not topple over. (Yes, that's becoming a regular position.)

"...But if you look at it that way, horses are basically engines too, right? Just. Grass engines."

The younger blinks up at him with big eyes, forever lost. Too damn adorable. Taehyung caresses his cheek with a thumb, his stomach doing funny flips at the sight of a cute Jeongguk. The duality is strong in this one, he rests his case. Especially when Jeongguk's eyes flutter shut and he leans into the touch, chasing the warmth of Taehyung's hand.

Goshdamn. Taehyung has to get his work done at some point today, how is he supposed to physically leave Jeongguk's side when the younger looks like that? Like lazy sunday mornings with golden rays of light flitering through billowing sheer curtains and entwined feet under the blanket and-

Focus Taehyung, focus. Back to your theory.

"So, horsey grass engines, right? I mean, grass goes in, fast comes out. Input, processing, output, you feel me?"

Jeongguk nods along, eyes still closed and weight of his head resting in Taehyung's open palm. Taehyung takes a deep breath. Gosh, he loves him. How could he ever deny that given fact?

No no, no sappy hours open yet, mister. Horse engine theory!

"You know, there are many engines that produce The Fast, right? But usually they need heavily processed grass and oil. Like. Cheetahs need processed grass in form of a Gazelle that's been eating the basic grass, cars need fuel made of grass that's millions of years old basically and so on right?

But horses. Horses don't need that , they don't need any processed grass, just the basic stuff. The level one grass. Yet they still produce The Fast. With only the grass, nothing else needed. So really horses are superior in every way, don't you think?"

Jeongguk hums, turns his face into Taehyung's palm and presses a tender kiss there.

Taehyung swoons.

So hard he almost falls off the chair.

Yeah okay he's totally okay with Jeongguk never ever going to give him an actual reply on that one. He'll let the question float around in time and space, forever unanswered and lets himself be cherished and pampered by Jeongguk instead.

Gosh. He's become such a softie.

 

The day could've been such a good one.

Just Taehyung doing his work, most things going smooth like butter right now which, nice. Slide-step into his boyfriend's office for some cuddling, talking and maybe kissing, slide-step back, continue working, cha-cha-cha. You know. Easy. Nice.

And things were going just that well until, well. Until Baek entered the scene.

ing Baek with his ing foul mouth and ing trashcan personality and-

He's not even in the BT office for more than three seconds yet Taehyung has already reached his internal boiling point. Blood rushing in his ears loudly, drowning out everything, including the whispered attempts of Jeongguk to ground him, and Baek gloating about his lawyer.

For a little while Taehyung disconnects, too busy staring daggers at Baek to notice anything else.

So it floors him when he notices he's no longer in the hallway but sitting on the meetings table, Jeongguk to his right, Baek across from him and their boss at the head of the table.

Baek keeps talking about misunderstandings and Namjoon clearly overreacting when nothing happened at all, going on and on and on.

Taehyung soon enough drowns it out. Everything coming out of the old man's mouth is anyway. He pictures it, invisions every foul word Baek says materializing into a piece of and dropping on the table. The pile of imaginary is reaching alarming heights real fast. Taehyung scoffs.

Beneath the table Jeongguk squeezes his knee in both warning and assurance. The both of them have kept quiet ever since entering the room. They are supposed to hear out Baek first for he was 'the one wronged' and never got a chance to 'explain himself' or something like that. It's utter bull. Dude was caught red-handed by the boss himself, no further explaining needed.

But he'd waved some very official-looking papers right in front of Namjoon's face, their boss relenting with sour expression.

It's moments like that where Taehyung understands why their boss is not all too fond of capitalism. Okay, bureaucracy and capitalism are not exactly the same but. The current system, okay? Or whatever is responsible for them being stuck in a mediation meeting with Baek whining and ing and trying to make himself the victim. Taehyung thinks he's going to be sick.

Jeongguk apparently shares the sentiment.

'I want to stab him', the younger taps on Taehyung's thigh.

Dude, he couldn't agree more. He gives a little nod, a barely-there tilt of his head only noticeable for those who know to look out. Usually Taehyung would like to think of himself as a very calm, peaceful person but that is really testing him.

He checks if Namjoon's full attention is on Baek before slowly shifting his arm, putting a hand on the younger's thigh to tap a reply.

'Do not get blood on you.'

Jeongguk answers with short-long-short.

'K'.

So Taehyung continues, eyes never leaving his boss and completely ignoring Baek.

'Clean n hide knife no fingerprints.'

'K.'

'Bury him vertically.'

Jeongguk's hand twitches as if in confusion before ultimately complying.

'K.'

Taehyung bites his lip.

'Good boy.'

Next to him, the younger blushes fifty shades of sweet pink and in a sharp breath.

Namjoon shoots them a slightly irritated gaze before his attention is drawn back to Baek who is snapping his fingers right in front of their boss. Which, rude?! What even- does that slug not even know basic manners or does he have not a single ounce of respect in his mouldy bones? Yeah no, Taehyung is absolutely on board with the whole 'it's stabby day' thing.

'Go for it, do it clean and quick Imma be driver n lookout.'

Jeongguk, having recovered from his initial shock - Taehyung takes a mental note to explore that 'good boy' thing further - is up for a more lengthy reply now.

'Luv u for enabling me.'

Taehyung's entire face and chest heat up.

Luv u.

Who's blushing now?

Next to him, Jeongguk looks suspiciously calm, way too calm for someone who said the big L-word to their partner for the first time. Well, more like wrote, but details, details.

When Taehyung dares to turn his head more into Jeongguk's direction - the meeting is still going on but it's fading into background noise more and more - he sees the younger is not quite as collected as he acts. Cheeks glowing like ripe apples once again, tongue darting out to nervously his lip.

Taehyung can't help but grin.

Here they are, stuck in a meeting that's absolutely useless, plotting murder, declaring love and now sitting next to each other with matching tomato heads.

Classy.

 

The meeting does eventually end, and Taehyung is 100% pissed.

Somehow Baek found a loophole that allows him to come back and work here again, first on a part-time trial basis and if he were to show stellar behavior - god forbid - he'd get back to full time.

Taehyung does not want him here. Period. Doesn't want to see that face again for one more day of his life. How could that happen? How could Baek happen again?

Here they were, thinking they'd finally gotten rid of that pest and now this?! Worst kind of plot twist ever, welcome to real life.

Jeongguk is already crowding in, delicately taking the older's face into both hands and imploring him to calm down before he can pop a vein or two in the middle of the corridor.

"It's okay, it'll be okay, Tae. He'll never make it past the trial basis with that ty character, and for only a few hours a day we can totally handle him okay? He doesn't even have an office that's closeby to ours so you'll barely see him."

Taehyung is still positively seething but tries to actually calm down. Not for his own or Baek's sake, but for Jeongguk's. Sweet Jeongguk who is trying so hard to make him feel better and see the light at the end of the dark tunnel that is Baek's very presence. He takes some deep breaths.

"Alright. Okay, I'm cool," he nods even though he's everything but.

Jeongguk gives him a strained yet no less sincere little smile.

"Aw, look at that!"

Taehyung clenches his eyes shut. Speak of the devil.

"Our two little favourite punks are being all lovey-doley, isn't that cute," Baek cooes. Behind him, his goons are snickering along. Of course they've already returned to their favourite head's side in no time, flogging around him as if he were some kind of hero. What an absurd idea.

And yeah. There is no way in hell Baek will ever come past the trial basis, not like that, Taehyung thinks.

"That's enough, Baek-ssi," he grits.

The elder leers at him. "Oh, don't be like that. I totally support my favourite faggots. Just wanna make sure we are on the same page, you and I."

Taehyung's voice is icy when he replies. "With all due respect - and there is none due - I don't think we are even in the same bookstore."

Baek's face twists in a snarl. "You little er better learn some manners and stop smiling at me like that."

Because Taehyung is smiling now. Smiling even wider, showing his teeth in a perfectly beautiful grimace.

"Dear Baek-ssi, just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I don't want to hit you in the face with a brick."

Baek's jaw slackens.

"Did you just threaten me?!"

Then his expression turns wolfish as he looks at his peers. "Did you just hear that guys? He threatened me! I told you, out of the three of us it's not me who's the bad guy. That confirms it. Guess I'll have to go tell Namjoon-"

"Tell him what?" It's Jeongguk who cuts him off. "Tell him how you've been harassing us not even five minutes after promising to do better and treat everybody here with respect?

"I-"

"Yeah, that's what I thought. Also it's at least 'boss-nim' for you, don't be rude."

"That's not how you call him," Baek sneers, pointing fingers at Jeongguk. "I should call you rude out of the two of us. You never address him like that."

Jeongguk smirks.

"No, I don't. But  we know each other since kindergarden. Can't say the same about you. it up, Baek."

He turns on his heel, takes Taehyung's hand and leads them back to their own respective offices. The outraged yells of Baek bellowing after them.

Taehyung squeezes his hand.

"That was so badass," he whisper-yells.

 

Back in their office - Taehyung's office, the older having grabbed Jeongguk's arm and pulled him in - Taehyung's mind keeps jumping to one thing again and again. And it's surely not Baek.

He sits perched on an empty spot of his desk, legs dangling between Jeongguk's where the younger has spread them out, sitting in Taehyung's office chair. He peers down at the younger, watches his hands smoothing up and down Taehyung's thighs and relishes in that little moment of complete contentment.

The sun filtering through the almost closed blinds and keeping the room toasty, air smelling of stale summer days and some subtle air freshener, the grounding warmth and weight of Jeongguk's hands on him, the younger locking eyes with him and making no move to break contact anytime soon. Taehyung in until there is no way back. A teasing streak of sunlight is running across Jeongguk's face, catching in his eyes with every other movement and making them glow like molten gold.

Taehyung finds he can't look away. Can't close his eyes, not even when he leans forward just that little bit and another sunray is almost blinding himself now.

He's got the unsettling thought that a plane could crash into their building and yet he would still not look away. Would still keep staring back at Jeongguk.

His favourite co-worker, who used to drive him nuts. Is still doing a great job at it but in a completely different way. His boyfriend. Who maybe came very close to a real confession today.

Taehyung's mouth twitches upwards at the memory. He can't help it, okay? Remembering how flustered the other looked after his slip up is just too precious.

His hands find Jeongguk's, entwining them atop of his lap. With a shoeless ( shoes!) foot he nudges Jeongguk's knee.

"You love me for enabling you going on a murder spree, huh?"

Yeah he's teasing. Jeongguk's flushed face is absolutely worth it. That look should happen more often.

"Uhhh, yeah?"

Taehyung his head and smirks.

"You love me for enabling you?"

"Err, well..."

"You love me?"

Jeongguk splutters, his hands twitching in the older's grasp as he turns even redder.

Then his face smooths over, and his brows knit together.

"Stop being a pest," he snides. Gets up and presses a long kiss against Taaehyung's mouth, swallowing the warm laugh bubbling out of the other.

Taehyung lets him, opens up to him easily and relishes in the way Jeongguk pulls a hand away to bury it deep into Taehyung's hair, other hand tightening its grip on Taehyung's.

With an appreciate hum, Taehyung answers the kiss.

He can wait.

One day, Jeongguk will have the guts to say it to his face.

Taehyung has no plans of going anywhere anytime soon, he can wait. And then he'll say it back.

They pull apart gasping for breath, just when Taehyung's chest starts to itch.

Jeongguk's eyes are back on him, as often, as always. Blazing.

"Let me take you on a date."

A surprised laugh bubbles out of the older. He blinks, startled, laughs again. Didn't expect that turn of events.

"What- I mean, when? Where?"

Jeongguk's hand slides down to his nape, and he starts rubbing lazy circles into Taehyung's skin. Taehyung sighs and tips his head forwards. 

"Friday evening? Finish work early, get home and dress up, Imma pick you up. Sound good?"

The words come off confident yet still with that small tilt at the end, turning them into a question. Giving Taehyung an easy way out. And where Jeongguk sounds sure, his expression gives him away, gaze faltering. As if he has doubts, as if he truly thinks Taehyung would say no.

Stupid ing idiot.

Taehyung pinches the back of the younger's other hand.

"Sure. Dress up how?"

Jeongguk doesn't flinch, not even at the second pinch. Brute.

"Fancy. Like you're going somewhere that's for VIPs only. Classy gentleman strutting his status kinda style."

Taehyung hums.

"I can do classy gentleman. When should I be ready?"

Jeongguk balks. Gnaws on his lip.

"Wait. Uhm.This might sound silly but I didn't plan that far yet. Wasn't sure you would say yes-"

Taehyung smacks his head, hard.

", did you really think I'd turn you down? How dense are you? Of course I'll go out with you wherever."

"...Oh." Jeongguk blinks.

Taehyung kicks him.

"Ow, can you not- okay, I have to make reservations." He gives Taehyung's waist one squeeze before hurrying towards the door. "Get back to work, I've got a date to plan," he all but yells. And is out of the room.

Pouting, Taehyung climbs down from his desk and settles into his chair, still warm from Jeongguk.

 

"Tae..."

Taehyung groans.

It's getting late and he's still not finished with work. Jeongguk is not amused. With crossed arms he leans in the doorway and waits for the older to wrap up and call it a day. Taehyung knows, because that's the younger's default position whenever he's not ready to go yet by seven o'clock. He doesn't turn around to confirm it, doesn't look away from the screen.

ing stupid code is not working, why, what the ?

"I hate you so much," Taehyung grumbles from between his hands.

"What-"

"Not you. Harold."

There is a long pause before Jeongguk asks from much closer now, "Who is Harold?"

Taehyung points an accusing finger at the screen. "That's Harold, obviously."

"...You gave your computer a male name?"

"Yes. Men always only cause problems," Taehyung states matter-of-factly.

"But, you are a man."

"I'm aware. And I'm good at causing problems. Ask my babysitter."

Jeongguk's now right beside him. If he'd glance down, Taehyung could see the tips of the younger's shoes.

"What about me?"

The reply comes instantly.

"You're very bad for my heart."

Jeongguk snorts. 

"So dramatic."

"We've been known," Taehyung says. And, directed to the computer, "ing head. Do your ing job!"

He ignores the younger's chuckle in favour of punching away on his keyboard. It's still not working.

"," he mutters.

"What's the matter?"

"Harold is being a and not letting me do my coding is the matter," Taehyung spits. "And I can't seem to get past his guards. I have one brain cell and it bounces around in my skull like a windows screen saver right now."

"Did it bounce perfectly in the corner yet?"

"Nope. Wouldn't still be here if it did."

Jeongguk nudges at his shoulder. "Let me have a look?"

Taehyung sighs. At this point he's even fine with Golden Boy TM Jeongguk critizising his work. With a defeated 'Yeah sure okay', he rolls back enough to guide Jeongguk to sit on his lap. The younger wavers only for a moment before complying and straddling the older's thighs, focus soon turning to the task at hand.

Taehyung sneaks one arm around the younger's waist, other hand teasing its way under Jeongguk's shirt and starting to lazily trail up and down the soft warm skin of Jeongguk's side. Jeongguk should sit in his lap more often, Taehyung decides. He closes his eyes and enjoys the weight on his lap, nuzzles into Jeongguk's nape and peppers the skin with little kisses.

"There, done."

What.

Perching his chin over the younger's shoulder, Taehyung squints at the screen.

"How-"

"You didn't break it up properly. Here, see?"

Taehyung blinks, at his bottom lip.

"...Oh."

 Jeongguk giggles, turns around enough to press a sweet chaste kiss on his cheek and then clambers off.

"You're welcome. And now get ready, Seokjin-ssi is probably already waiting at your doorsteps and fuming because you make his fabulous wait."

"Oh ! Is today Wednesday? Today is Wednesday, I'm so dead," Taehyung whines.

Jeongguk's answering laugh is fading with each step he takes away from him.

"Alright, you ready?"

"-No..."

"Light out in ten, nine..."

"I said no, you dickhead!"

"...Eight, seven..."

"JEON THE JEONGGUK!"

 

It's their lunch break on Thursday and officially Taehyung's turn to pick a place for eating. He's only barely survived the rage of the Kim Seokjin but it's all good now. Especially when he gets to hold hands with Jeongguk on their way to the imbiss.

Taehyung has begun to drag Jeongguk to his lunch breaks with Baekhyun and Minjae. The other two have been reluctant at first but are slowly warming up to the president of the 97-liner club. ('That's not true, I didn't come up with that 97-liner stuff, it really wasn't me!' - 'I call bull.' - 'Yeah, same.' -'What even, what-')

Their lunch breaks are starting to get a new quality with the addition of one Jeon Jeongguk.

It's getting even more weird when their boss decides to join in though.

Because no matter how intelligent and empathetic Namjoon is, sometimes he just... doesn't get the message.

"But why are you acting so offended by it," Namjoon asks, obviously puzzled.

"Hyung," Jeongguk deadpans around a mouthful of gyoza, "it's a universal truth that everyone in our generation takes Pluto's losing its planetary status as a personal offense."

Around him, Baekhyun, Minjae and Taehyung all nod fervently. 

"Yes!"

Namjoon still looks doubtful. "It's smaller than Russia. Why did we ever even consider it a planet?"

"What-" Taehyung splutters.

Baekhyun shrieks right in his ear. "Boss-nim, how can you possibly say that-"

And Jeongguk, Jeongguk drops his chopsticks with a loud clatter.

"Because it's a part of our solar system!" He bangs his fist on the table. "Ohana means family! Family means no one is left behind!"

It's Namjoon's turn to gape.

On his left, Taehyung sees Minjae wiping away a fake tear.

"So inspiring," he sniffs.

Baekhyun is cackling himself into Friday.

Taehyung snorts.

 

In the end, Taehyung thinks they do a pretty decent job in baptistizing their boss man. At least he doesn't outright deny Pluto's planetary status anymore.

Then lunch break takes a whole turn to awkwardness once Taehyung asks him about his relationship to Seokjin. No, he hasn't forgotten about that particular matter.

It has calm never-losing-his- Kim Namjoon turning a light shade of pink and clumsily dropping his chopsticks.

"I- you see, Taehyung-ssi, he didn't really leave me a choice," their boss admits, eyes downcast and fingers fumbling.

Well, Taehyung guesses, his hyung can have that kind of effect on people.

He waits for the other to gather himself, chin propped up on one hand. Really wants to know what went down between the two of them now. The others seem not to share the sentiment, Baekhyun and Minjae going back to their conversation about how unfairly Pluto has been treated over the centuries.

Two deep breaths later, Namjoon is back to his collected self, gaze steady as he meets Taehyung's. With a voice just loud enough for Taehyung to hear but not draw attention to their conversation, he says,

"Your hyung came into my office the very day I sent you an invitation for the signing of your contract. I still remember how he demanded a private audience although I had a tight schedule and Baekhyun-ssi had told him I was busy. He said it doesn't matter and if I don't have time for him then I have to make time because it's important."

Namjoon's mouth quirks into a woeful smile.

"I was forced to postpone a meeting because he just wouldn't leave. When he came into my office and I got up to greet him, he claimed my armchair and told me to take a seat at the other side of the table."

Taehyung stares, a little mortified, a lot second-hand embarassed. Next to him, Baekhyun exlaims loudly, 'But Pluto orbits too!', and throws a pickled cuccumber at Minjae.

"And then somehow it turned into him interviewing me for the position as your new boss. He was - is - very protective over you. I still remember his first words to me were 'If you dare to treat my Taehyungie badly just once, nobody will find your body'."

"Oh god," Taehyung groans and buries the face in his hands.

Namjoon chuckles and pats his shoulder.

"It's alright, don't sweat it. Anyway, he went on telling me how you have been treated rather badly at your last job and said he won't allow to let history repeat itself. So even after he must've deemed me suited as your boss, he kept sending me mails once a week, asking whether I've been taking care of you and all. Still does. It's quite endearing."

Taehyung whines. "I'm so so sorry..."

Next to him, Jeongguk has gone very quiet.

"Aish, nonsense," Namjoon assures him. "If anything, it just shows what a beautiful bond you have. And I mean, in the end Seokjinnie and I became very good friends, so, all good."

Taehyung's head shoots up. He squints at his boss.

" 'Seokjinnie'?!"

Namjoon gulps.

For the first time in a while, Jeongguk pipes up, a mischievous grin on his face.

"Aww, hyung's got a cru-huush~"

"Sh-shut up!"

The rest of their break is chaos, effectively distracting Taehyung from his near-death-by-embarassement experience.

More importantly, during lunch he's been barely thinking about his approaching date.

Which is a good thing because everytime he does think about it, it drives him just a little more crazy. Jeongguk is not giving him a hint as to what they are doing, none. He's keeping as still as a grave about it and Taehyung is left guessing for almost a whole week now.

It .

He tells Jeongguk as much later, but the younger only laughs and says,

"Don't worry. Be merry and anticipate, yeah?"

"I'm not Merry, I'm Pippin, traitor."

Jeongguk rolls his eyes.

 


A/N: So sorry it took me so long to update guys! Uhm, Happy Halloween?!?