Of old friends and velvet seats

Leave the light on (for me)

Here is a little wisdom Taehyung learned from Seokjin years ago:

A first date never goes quite as planned.

So far this has proven right every single time. And tonight it seems, shall be no exception. 

They barely make it past an openly gaping Baekhyun at the front desk and into the elevator before the wave breaks. It's been coming a long way, Taehyung thinks, probably ever since he was on that canoe trip with Jeongguk. Maybe even longer. Those are the last things he manages to ponder before Jeongguk bodily pushes him against one of the elevator doors. For a sweet second Taehyung's mind blanks completely at the feel of soft lips pressing against his jaw. He tilts his head, wants to give Jeongguk better access, wants to pull at his hair and direct the younger's mouth to his own.

And yet.

"Jeongguk," he gasps, wonders where his voice went. "Jeongguk, the people..."

Jeongguk pulls back with a confused little noise but stills when the elevator stutters to a stand still and the doors slide open for more people to enter. And oh, right. Public space. He groans and buries his face into Taehyung's shoulder, hands searching for Taehyung's and squeezing, hard. Taehyung bites his lip to stiffle a yelp.

Nobody leaves the elevator before they reach the lowest level with the parking lot where the almost ten people filter out all at once.

Taehyung tugs Jeongguk to his car and inside. He opens the door for the passenger seat and holds it open before rounding the car and getting in himself.

Next to him Jeongguk is unusually quiet, Taehyung notices as he navigates them through the slowly awakening nightlife of Seoul, left hand on the steering wheel and right one lazily resting on the gearshift lever.

During a red light he glances towards Jeongguk just to find the younger already watching him with dark eyes. He misses how the traffic light switches to green, lost in the way the setting sun glitters in those near black orbs and casts a golden shine on Jeongguk. Behind him someone honks and Taehyung jolts, forces his eyes back on the road. Forces them to remain there as he drives them to HOPE, a laid back upper-end night club. Hoseok's favorite and thus by default also Jimin's and Taehyung's. The whole ride Jeongguk doesn't say a single word. But Taehyung can feel his gaze on him, scorching him from the side.

They arrive just when the last hints of sunlight disappear behind looming skyscrapers.

Taehyung is hot all over.

He can't even get out of the car and hope to catch his breath in the little time it takes to walk around the car before an all-too-familiar voice cuts through the warm evening air.

"You are late," Jimin quips as he strides over from where he's been waiting next to the entrance.

Taehyung rolls his eyes. Next to him Jeongguk, who has gotten out too by now, goes stiff like a rod.

"You're one to talk," Taehyung counters.

His friend comes to a halt, dozens of pearls sewn to his bomber jacket glittering as he crosses his arms. "Excuse you, did you or did you not come two hours late last time you visited?"

Taehyung huffs.

Opts not to answer and asks instead, "So pink it is, huh?"

Jimin blows a strand of soft pink hair out of his face and grins. "Yeah. Sweet, isn't it?"

"Sure. I mean, you do you I guess..."

"Yah, Kim Taehyung!"

Jimin pitches forward and gives him a hard smack on the arm. Next to him Jeongguk goes even more tense if that's even possible. Taehyung is not sure he's still breathing.

And Jimin too seems to notice him at least.

"You must be Jeonggukkie," he lilts and stretches out a hand. "Park Jimin, Nice to meet you."

Jeongguk takes the hand and shakes it but turns to look at Taehyung, whispering a low "Jeonggukkie?"

Taehyung gulps. Scrambles for an explanation where he doesn't sound like a complete fool. Forgets all about it when Jimin cuts in.

"I see you live on the reckless side, Jeongguk." His grip on Jeongguk's hand tightens as he throws the younger an angelic smile. "It's quite brave not to follow my fashion advice."

Taehyung pales.

Jimin is going to kill him.

 

They are just one step behind Jimin, having given up to close up to him. Jimin might have the shortest legs out of the three of them but he more than makes up for it with his determined walk. 

Jeongguk pulls at Taehyung's sleeve, slowing them down even more. 

"You are really friends with Park Jimin? The Park Jimin," he whisper-yells. 

Taehyung furrows his eyebrows.

"Yeah? We are best friends."

Next to him, Jeongguk curses under his breath. Taehyung snorts.

The younger it seems is so preoccupied it takes him a moment to register they entered the club. They are a good few steps inside already as Jeongguk falters and almost runs into Taehyung. As he looks at the gigantic chandelier hanging from the high ceiling, a luxurious monstrosity made of at least two dozen melon-sized golden balls cluttered together and hanging over the dance floor. Taehyung likes to call it the Midas grapes, and Jimin... he says it's the tit-blessed ceiling.

Taehyung takes a hold of the younger's arm and leads him to the bar sprawling along the wall in a long, lavish wave before he can mow over somebody by accident. The dance floor is not all too filled yet, making it easy to navigate through the room. As long as you are not gaping at the ceiling that is.

He sets Jeongguk down on one of the bar stools and claims the one ot his right, Jimin immediately plopping down on the one to Jeongguk's left and half sprawling himself over the bar.

"So, Jeonggukkie. What do you think about Taeyang?"

Jeongguk blinks, splutters. "Uhm..."

Taehyung leaves him at the mercy of his best friend with no worries. If he can get along with Taehyung, he can handle Jimin as well. Possibly.

From his seat he slowly scans the room for a familiar - is it still red? He doesn't know. Last time it was red - mop of hair. And is not surprised to spot his friend in the middle of a growing crowd. Already the star of the night and it's not even ten pm yet. Taehyung shakes his head with a fond smile and lifts a hand when he sees Hoseok looking in his general direction.

The second he spots them, Hoseok bounds over to the trio with the biggest smile on his face.

"Taehyung-ah, it's been ages," the now raven-haired proclaims in his usual loud and cheery voice. Half lifts Taehyung off his stool and pulls him in a bear hug, laughing into his ear.

"Good to see you too, hyung," Taehyung grins. 

Grins even more once Hoseok lets go of him to hug Jimin too who tries - and miserably fails - to fight him off with a high-pitched squeal and flapping arms.

"And you must be Jeonggukkie," Hoseok says. Presses the younger to his chest like a long-lost child.

Jeongguk is smart enough not to try fighting it. Instead he shoots Taehyung an incredulous look from beneath Hoseok's armpit. Taehyung shrugs with an apologetic smile. It  wasn't his idea to call him Jeonggukkie. Clearly someone (he gives a pointed glance to Jimin, Jeongguk catching on and rolling his eyes) has been a bad influence.

Hoseok lets go of him, only to shove himself between Jeongguk's and Taehyung's stools.

"I've been dying to meet you! Jung Hoseok, pleasure."

Jeongguk's eyes widen and snap to where Taehyung's head is visible above Hoseok's shoulder. Taehyung sighs, nods.

"Yes, Jung Hoseok as in, the primed choreographer," he confirms.

Jeongguk's jaw drops.

He shakes the offered hand in a daze with Hoseok visibly preening. Taehyung chuckles. Too damn cute.

"Don't worry, Hobi-hyung isn't as posh as some others here. The money and fame are secondary to his big fat heart."

Jimin sniffs. "Well, some people like to spend their money and relish in their achievements. Also, not like you are one to speak, mister custom-made Crema bianco marble floor."

That little er.

"Jiminie," Taehyung grits through a smile,"we all know perfectly well I do have my reasons for that."

"Oh, do we, now." Jimin raises his eyebrows. Raises them even more and begins to smirk, as something clicks. "Do we, now! So you explained your expensive as interior to sweet little Jeonggukkie here?"

Hoseok swivels around and almost manage to knock both Jeongguk and Taehyung out of their stools.

"No way! You invited him to your home?! For real?"

"Uh, well..."

"Holy ," Hoseok cackles. "This is amazing." Then turns back to Jeongguk and squeezes his shoulder with a solemn expression. "Welcome to the family, kid."

"W-what-"

"Dude," Jimin deadpans between sips of his eerily green long drink. "There are like, four people in total who have ever set foot in Tae-tae's apartment. Ever. And now with you, five. Consider yourself special."

Taehyung contemplates strangling him.

"Anyway," he snides and sends both of his friends a pointed look, "aren't there more interesting things to discuss for you two busybodies? Like, how was your day."

Jimin rolls his eyes. "Laaaaame question."

Taehyung scowls. Reaches around Hoseok and pinches Jeongguk.

"Be a bro and throw that little pest off his chair for me."

"What," Jeongguk's eyes widen, "I can't- I can't do that, that's Park Jimin, he is literally like, a regular on the covers of Cool Korea, Vogue, GQ, Esquire and- and however else all these things are called. He can sue me for leaving a bruise on his model body and end my whole life, are you out of your mind?!"

Taehyung pouts. Well, it's been worth a try.

Next to him, Hoseok laughs and then leans in conspiratorially.

"Your mom called me this afternoon."

Taehyung almost falls off his stool. "Wha-what... why?!"

"Wants me to perform on her next big gala thingy, said she needs some A class performers for the occasion," the choreographer beams.

"So what did you say?"

Jimin has leaned in too, glued to Hoseok's lips, with Jeongguk automatically mirroring him.

Those were big news. To be invited to perform for The Mrs. Kim was like a national seal of approval.

"I said yes, duh. It's good money, enough to cover my rent for the next months. And I mean, hello? As if anybody asked by your mom to perform would ever decline. That would be the most stupid decision and probably career suicide. I'm not dumb enough to do that."

Taehyung feels a kick against his ankle and looks up to a slightly distraught Jeongguk.

"Who did you say again is your mom?"

His voice sounds strained, on edge. Just like Taehyung feels. And nope, he will not open the 'Welcome to my family tree' chapter now. So Taehyung says, maybe a tad bit too sharp,

"I didn't say anything."

That effectively shuts up the younger and he pulls back. Taehyung immediately feels bad but can't bring himself to apologize. Not when his mind is set on not telling Jeongguk anytime soon.

Between them, Hoseok carefully retracts himself. "Uh-oh, I can sense storm clouds in Paradise. Come on Chim-chams, let's leave the two lovebirds alone for a bit."

And with that he pulls a protesting Jimin off his stool and into the little crowd.

Jeongguk blinks after them. "Uhm."

"Alright, I need a drink," Taehyung declares and signals for the barkeeper. "Something strong and sweet, please."

The woman smiles, her long blonde ponytail swishing as she her head. "Sure, I can do strong and sweet, gorgeous." Throws a wink at him, then another one at Jeongguk and gets to work.

Next to him Jeongguk is hesitant. Fidgets around in his seat and avoids Taehyung's eyes. 

"I did... I did say something wrong."

Taehyung sighs. Takes his drink with a grateful smile at the barkeeper. 

"No, you didn't. I just don't like people to know about my family and then start seeing me as a completely different person."

"Jimin-ssi and Hoseok-ssi know."

"Well, yes but I know them ten years longer than you."

Jeongguk pouts. "Oh."

"Yep."

The younger looks miserable enough for Taehyung to add with softer voice, "They didn't always know. Especially telling Hoseok has taken me years and it was more of an accident."

Something like hope glimmers in Jeongguk's eyes.

"So maybe one day you'll tell me too?"

Taehyung shrugs. "We'll see. Nothing's impossible."

And for whatever reason, that little truth, the promise of a maybe, a possibility that Taehyung may indulge him seems to push the younger. His features are b with both clarity and determination as he gets up from his seat and offers Taehyung a hand.

"Well then. Would you like to dance?"

It takes Taehyung by surprise. Has Jeongguk always been such a gentleman? Young, bratty pain in the Jeongguk? Where did that offered hand just now come from. But then again... then again he supposes, Jeongguk has done his very best to hold open each door he could reach first for Taehyung. He's just been too dump to realize it as the simple act of good manners that it was.

Taehyung empties his glass, a warm tingle spreading in his limbs and takes Jeongguk's hand. Lets himself be guided to the rapidly filling dance floor.

The closer they get, the more noticeable the low thrum of the bass gets. Seeps into Taehyung's very bones as they reach the center, bodies writhing around them and tasting the beat. Somewhere a few steps away he hears Hoseok's cheery laugh. It's soon drowned out by the music and a high-pitched squeal in his ear.

He forgets all about Hoseok as there is a slight tug at his hand before Jeongguk lets go of him and turns to face him. They are not touching, standing just a step apart and slowly getting a feel for the music. The bass pulses like a steady heartbeat around them, people pulsing with it, swaying like one giant being, and Jeongguk and Taehyung right in the middle.

The warm light, barely bright enough to make out details, does a great job of accentuating the epiphany that is Jeon Jeongguk.

They younger obviously knows what he's doing, moving with a graceful confidence, body rolling in slow motions in a way that tells entire stories to Taehyung. Makes him imagine all the other things Jeongguk might be capable of, with that body control. ing hot. His black leather glimmers with a golden hue, softening his appearance around the edges. Absolutely enthralling.

Taehyung stares. Stares at the way Jeongguk bends to the rhythm of the music, to the crowd. At the way the younger looks at him trough black waves of his hair, his usually round eyes eerily sharp. And fixated on nothing but Taehyung.

He takes in a sharp breath. Tries to move along - the two of them still not touching - without breaking eye contact. Looking at Jeongguk's captivating eyes, he finds, is addicting. He probably couldn't look away if he wanted to. 

They keep at it. Keep moving only a breath away but still always maintaining a small distance. Not touching anywhere, as if it was a contest to see who breaks first. But here is the thing. Taehyung is okay with losing this time.

The light gets dimmed even more with the next song starting. Golden glow disappearing around Jeongguk and turning him into a dark, alluring figure. Looking like a wet dream come to life. And to think he got dressed up like that all for Taehyung... it makes something oily and possessive coil in his chest.

Taehyung's had enough. 

He uses the next body colliding with him as an excuse to pivot forward, straight into Jeongguk's chest. Firm, and warm and hard beneath his splayed out hands. Jeongguk's own land on Taehyung's hips as the younger pulls him flush at last. As they start to dance for real, to seriously dance with each other. Moving in tandem, swaying to the rhythm while hands start to wander and hips press against each other.

Jeongguk's fingers are scorching where they brush up Taehyung's arms, his shoulder, his collarbones. It makes Taehyung gasp, makes him tighten his grip on the leather jacket's hem and close his eyes as his head lolls back with the feel of Jeongguk caressing his neck.

The hand pauses with a thumb at Taehyung's nape. Jeongguk's whole body goes still except for that small motion sending tingles through Taehyung's body and making his eyes flutter open and close with the sheer tenderness. A few breaths later even the thumb comes to a standstill.

Taehyung opens his eyes and peers at the younger from beneath long lashes. Gasps at the raw intensity of Jeongguk's gaze on him and jerks, pulling the younger against him.

They remain like that, music continuing unheard as they just stare at each other. Two rocks in the middle of a crashing sea.

"You are magnificent," Jeongguk mumbles. 

Leans in to breathe it into Taehyung's ear and eliciting a violent shudder from him. 

He takes one of Taehyung's earrings between his teeth and tugs, not enough for it to hurt but enough for his breath to hitch, for his hands to shoot up and clutch at Jeongguk's shoulders as the younger noses along his jaw, down down down, just to nip at his chin and then surge up and connect their lips in a heated kiss.

A harsh tug at his hair makes Taehyung's mouth fall open before he can even process that they are kissing at long last. But Jeongguk is not an opportunist, not fully, for he disregards the chance to slip his tongue into the older's mouth. Keeps to pressing their lips firmly together only to pull back and then dive right back in and bite at Taehyung's lower lip.

Fire fills Taehyung's veins. Makes him reckless in the way he's pushing his body against Jeongguk, not caring if they bump into somebody. He can't stop digging his nails into Jeongguk's shoulders, the muscles beneath the leather and cotton unyielding. Every part where they touch is hypersensitive. Is burning and melting him from the inside out until Taehyung is crashing against Jeongguk like a tidal wave.

They couldn't care less about the music and dancing at this point. 

A break to gasp for air and an exchanged look, are enough for the two of them to leave the dance floor in mutual understanding. Taehyung as the one more familiar with the layout pulling Jeongguk to a nook in the wall, a little space made of nothing more than some dark blue velvet seat and a whimsy glass table.

It's also Taehyung who pushes the younger down into the seat, his whole body thrumming with desire as he straddles Jeongguk and reclaims his mouth. Kisses a groan right off him, hands grasping at the sides of Jeongguk's face to tilt it upwards.

Jeongguk's hands find their way into the back pockets of Taehyung's trousers and squeeze until the older lets out a low moan. Squeeze even harder until Taehyung can't help himself and swivels his hips, presses down a bit more until Jeongguk's mouth falls open with a stuttered exhale. And who is Taehyung to let such a chance go to waste?

He knows he is greedy in the way he plunges his tongue into the younger's mouth, getting a proper taste for the first time. But Jeongguk. Jeongguk, he just lets him. Is pliant beneath him, keeps his mouth open for Taehyung to explore and lets him do whatever he wants while idly massaging his buttocks. Taehyung revels in that display of both trust and submission and just takes and takes and takes what Jeongguk is so willing to give him.

They part with heaving chests, clutching at each other and pressing their foreheads together as they try to get some air in their deprived lungs.

"Damn," Jeongguk rasps. 

Taehyung is absolutely delighted by the unfamiliar low pitch. By how decomposed the younger sounds. He hums and steals another quick kiss from those beautifully glistening lips. Jeongguk complies with a chuckle and tilts his head back some more, molding his lips against Taehyung's in a way that feels way too familiar to be the first time.

It's Taehyung who has to pull back first this time. With closed eyes he rests his head against Jeongguk's shoulder and takes some slow breath. Secretly doubts his heart will calm down anytime soon though.

"Wow," he breathes, laughs. "Why didn't we do this sooner?"

Jeongguk snorts into his ear and his whole body shakes with suppressed laughter. "Beats me."

They remain like that for a long time. Basking in the close proximity and the press of their bodies, Taehyung happily sat in Jeongguk's lap as if he's always belonged here.

Slowly, oh so slowly, other sensations start to become apparent again. The music filters back into their minds, the people around them and-

"Oh ."

Jeongguk nips his side. "What?"

"I gotta tell Jimin. I promised to tell him."

Taehyung is half scrambling off the younger's lap when Jeongguk pulls him back down with an eye-roll and presses another searing kiss against his mouth.

Needless to say Taehyung ends up forgetting to tell Jimin.

 

The next day, when he remembers and calls his best friend at last, Jimin is livid.

His fury and high-pitched screeching lasts for about five minutes. Then there is a short silence before something pops loudly and then fizzles.

Taehyung falters.

"What... what are you doing?"

"My dude," Jimin deadpans. "It's about ing time. I've had this bottle of champagne at the ready for weeks now and rushed to it every single time you called me because I thought you were about to tell me you two big idiots finally kissed. I'm drinking on your A level late bloomer stupidity. Cheers, motherer!"

And with that he downs what sounds like the whole bottle, much to Taehyung's horror.