Of stolen meals and leather trousers

Leave the light on (for me)

So that's exactly what they do.

They finish their serving on the house and then bid their goodbyes, Taehyung insisting to pay and Jeongguk just shrugging.

"It was your turn anyway."

"That's not how I- you are supposed to be incredibly touched by that sweet boyfriend-material gesture, brat!"

Another shrug, then a sly grin is Taehyung's answer.

"Tough luck."

"Why, you little cretin-"

So Taehyung pays. Their waitress sees them off with a flat "Don't come back ever again, idiots."

Half of the ride to Jeongguk's flat the two of them wonder whether or not she is under some special protection, if maybe her family owns the restaurant for her to do such anti-climatic things like straight-off telling customers to not come back.

"I bet, it's her dad's company," Jeongguk says, leaned back into the passenger seat, legs pulled up, chin propped on a hand as he looks out the window. The picture of nonchalance.

Taehyung hums. Risks a quick glance at the figure next to him before focusing back on the street. 
"Or maybe she lost a ton of bets. I can picture this as a dare perfectly. 'I dare you to upturn an ice bucket over a customer'."

"Or, it's her personality."

"You can't have such a personality if you work with customers, stupid," Taehyung chuckles.

"Better not call me stupid."

The older raises an eyebrow. "Whatcha gonna do about it?"

"Oh, I don't know..." the younger's voice is dripping with sarcasm. "But need I remind you, out of the two of us I am not the one who was too dumb to notice someone's flirting attempts for almost two months? Hm?"

Taehyung rolls his eyes. "."

"You have no idea."

They both cackle.

 

Taehyung manages to get Jeongguk home without popping a at some point, even though the younger ed the suit jacket after claiming the car was too stuffy, flaunting his goddamn abs and pecs and all right in Taehyung's face.

The older opted for bickering with no remorse to keep himself distracted and his thoughts sane. It worked.

It stops working the moment Jeongguk unlocks his apartment - Taehyung is gentleman enough to accompany him to the apartment door, thank you very much - and struts inside, hanging Taehyung's jacket over a chair. Coming back to the hallway in all his half- glory and holy !

"You wanna come in or?"

 "Uhm." Taehyung's mouth is dry as he swallows. "You sure?"

Jeongguk huffs.

"Oh please. Don't start making it weird now."

"Wouldn't ever dream of it."

As if he would ever turn down the offer. If Jeongguk asks him to come in, then yeah, ultimately he will.

The step over the treshold feels big somehow, in the sense of, a significant step in his life.

You have unlocked a new level, ding ding ding ding ding.

Taehyung snorts, shakes his head. When Jeongguk gives him a questioning look, he waves it off with a little 'nothing'.

Jeongguk disappears in his bedroom, tells Taehyung over his shoulder to make himself comfortable and clicks the door shut. Taehyung is almost disappointed. 

Maybe he should try and kick it up a notch...

 

Upon Jeongguk emerging from his private chambers, he leans in to catch a glimpse of Jeongguk's room. And truth be told, he doesn't recognize much. The younger has already switched off the light. Yet he still says, voice sly,

"Your bed looks comfy. Do you know how it would look even better? With me on top of it."

Jeongguk just snorts.

"You're an idiot."

 

...or not.

 

He settles down next to Taehyung, whole frame swimming in the oversized white shirt and baggy pants. Taehyung accepts the offered clothes and the small 'thank you' with a warm smile and then raises an eyebrow at Jeongguk. Waiting.

"So. What now, mister? Got a plan yet?"

Jeongguk gnaws on his lower lip and looks away. And Taehyung can't deal. One minute the younger is all hot and seductive, all but stripping in front of him, and the next moment he looks so damn soft and cute. The duality. The struggle! Damn you, Jeon Jeongguk.

Not to mention, the intensity is back in Jeongguk's gaze as he turns to face Taehyung when it hadn't been there a moment before. 

How.

"I wanna take you out on a date," the younger states.

And Taehyung, well. He just sits there and nods. What else is he gonna do, say no?

But then he remembers something, something that's been bugging him all day, a thought that kept popping up every now and then, like an annoying fly.

"Okay. But I wanna take you out first," he blurts out with a voice way too loud.

Next to him Jeongguk startles.

"Wh-wha-"

"Please. I feel super bad for overlooking all your efforts until now. Let me make it up to you."

It's true. He does feel bad about it.

Jeongguk's expression melts at that little truth, a soft smile tugging at his lips.

"Alright."

"Okay, cool," Taehyung says, slaps his thighs, gets up. Sits down again. "Wait, so are we in the testing phase now?"

"I, uh, yeah?" Jeongguk squeaks with round eyes.

A-ing-dorable.

Taehyung swoons.

"Cute," he cooes and pinches the younger's cheek. Making him blink furiously.

"What-"

Oops.

Okay that's his cue to stop and go. Literally. Taehyung pushes himself up again and dusts off his trousers. And if he leans forward a little more than necessary so his perks out, can you really blame him? It's totally worth the way Jeongguk's mouth goes a little slack. Yeah, Taehyung noticed Jeongguk still eyening him up in that suit of his.

"Alllrightey," he chirps. "Gonna go for now. And you should probs go to bed soon, stay warm so you don't catch a cold after that involuntary ice bucket challenge."

He throws the suit jacket over one arm and loosely holds the pajama trousers in the other hand. "You free this friday after work?"

Jeongguk his head. "Suppose so. Why?"

"Asking for a friend~"

"Sure."

"Uhum. Anyway. Sleep well," Taehyung sing-songs and sees himself out.

He already knows where to take him. Hoseok has been asking to meet Jeongguk for days on by now.

At some point Jimin must've blabbered - because of cause he has - and now Hoseok knows almost everything about Jeongguk that Jimin knows about him. Which is a lot, thanks to Taehyung's sometimes hour-long rants about him. So yeah Jeongguk is about to get that date Taehyung involuntarily offered a while ago, and to meet at least one of Taehyung's closest friends this week.

 

Make that two of Taehyung's closest friends.

"And you were going to tell me when exactly?," Taehyung snarks at the figure propped against his doorframe. Doesn't even try to add some actual bite to his tone for he will always be overjoyed to have the other with him, no mater the circumstances and no matter how much he pretends the opposite.

"Never?"

Jimin's grin is a sly little thing as he stands there, unapologetic and proud and doesn't even try to feign regret. He just shrugs, low-cut shirt slipping off his shoulder with the motion as he holds Taehyung's exasperated gaze, grin growing wide.

"Little pest," Taehyung mutters under his breath and opens the door wide for Jimin to get in.

Jimin gasps and hits the younger's head.

"Kim Taehyung, I didn't know you to be so disrespectful, you little . I'm still your hyung, yah."

"And when did I ever pretend to care?"

"When did you ever-" Jimin shrieks indignantly as he hurries after Taehyung. "Taehyung, you dishonest ing idiot! You traitor! First you ask Hoseok - Hoseok, not me, your best friend may I say - to meet you at some club, and then you mock me like this?!"

Taehyung rolls his eyes but can't help the little smile tugging at his lips. So dramatic.

"Well, different from you, Hobi actually lives here in Seoul and is a lot more close-by, so..."

"Kim Taehyung, you better not finish this sentence. I call bull is what I'm doing."

Jimin's menacing little finger pokes in Taehyung's side and he has to squirm out of the way. Jimin follows behind and pokes him again, and again, until Taehyung's giggles morph into loud happy shrieks as he scurries away with Jimin hot on his heels. They end up wrestling on Taehyung's bed in a flurry of limbs, squawks and flying pillows.

Until there is a muffled thud followed by a groan, and Taehyung laughs so hard, whole body convulsing, that he ends up falling on the floor too, almost squishing one of Jimin's legs. They both lay there in silence for a second, bodies thrumming with the dull ache of a hard fall, eyes locking. Jimin's mouth quivers and twitches. Taehyung presses his lips tightly together. But then Jimin snorts, and they both loose it, laughing loud and unrestrained in each other's faces, Jimin flinching away from the spit drops flying around and Taehyung just laughing that much louder.

They calm down eventually. Enough at least for Jimin to catch his breath and ask,

"So do you know what you're going to wear tomorrow night yet?"

And well. That's one way to shut up one Kim Taehyung.

"Uhm..."

Jimin's head thuds back to the ground and he groans,

"You fool, you idiot."

"Excuse me, I didn't exactly say 'no'-

"You pretty much did! You hopeless case of... of... of a hopeless case. Be lucky I'm here now."

And with that, Jimin gets up and right into Taehyung's walk-in closet.

"If I'm done with you, you'll be ravishing," he mutters.

Taehyung trails after him with a sigh. But as he lets himself be pushed down onto one of the padded lounge stools in the center he can't help but feel a little thrill of excitement flit through him.

"...And once you finally kiss, you better come and tell me asap, do you hear me?"

Taehyung nods dutifully and promises to do just that. It earns him a broad smile, complete with eyes squeezed shut and all. That adorable smile that suits Jimin so so well, Taehyung can't help but think and marvel at his friend.

 

Taehyung's gotten a slight case of The Nerves.

It's well past noon and his leg can't stop bouncing under the desk. Each passing hour brings him closer to their, uhm. Well. Date. It's officially a date, yeah. They even said it out loud.

He gulps. Chastises himself for being such a coward. Besides, it's not even a good date idea. Going to a club, that is. Everybody does that, right?

Ohmygod, am I getting old yet? Am I getting boring? Please don't let this be a complete disaster.

But he can't change his plan anymore. Hoseok is already being beyond himself and has sent at least two hundred hearts via text message within the past twenty-four hours. No way can Taehyung call it off. Even less so now that Jimin has gotten himself involved. He's got an agenda for tonight and once a Park Jimin has an agenda to follow there is few that can stop him.

Friday afternoon finds Taehyung fretting like that, the thoughts running circles in his head until he almost sends a mail to Baek instead of Namjoon.

Baek, out of all people. The mere thought of that name has Taehyung scowling, effectively pulling him out of his treadmill.

Ugh, ing Baek.

'Baek is an idiot', he knocks against the wall, just because.

The answer is immediate.

Long-short-long-long. Short. Three times short. 'Yes'.

Taehyung cackles, can faintly hear Jeongguk doing the same in his office.

Maybe this won't be the worst day ever.

 

This is the worst day ever, Taehyung thinks as he watches Baek stuff the last bits of his bulgogi beef kimbap in his mouth.

His, as in, Taehyung's bulgogi beef kimbap. The kimbap he, Kim Taehyung, made last night.

"That was my lunch," he finally presses out between gritted teeth.

Baek has the nerve to look confused. 

"No it was not, everybody knows you go out to eat everyday." Baek grins at him. A piece of seaweed is stuck between his front teeth. Taehyung's seaweed.

"Well, not today," Taehyung conters.

Can't believe this just happened. Robbed of his self-made lunch. By that bastard Baek.

"I even wrote my name on the lid in clear letters, see?"

He snatches the lid from where it's trapped beneath the lunchbox.

"Oh, I can see alright," Baek deadpans.

Taehyung looks down. And finds his name unreadable, the writing smudged to one big blob of black ink. He swallows down the snarl. That little son of a-

Next to Baek, the other boomers who often follow him like baby ducklings are openly snickering and even Baek's lips are twitching.

Taehyung balls his hands to fists, fingernails digging into soft flesh until it hurts. He continues watching the older men laughing in his face, watches Baek chewing obnoxiously and swallowing with a loud gulp, watches him trace a finger along Taehyung's box and picking up stray rice grains. Watches him throwing a greasy grin at Taehyung and then clean each single finger.

"My wife sure makes the best kimbap rolls," he drawls. His goons howl with laughter.

Taehyung remains rooted to the spot, trembling with hot white anger.

A warm hand lands on the small of his back.

The little gesture is enough for Taehyung to relax a bit, to reign in the full-body tremors. He doesn't need to look who it is.

"What's so funny," Jeongguk asks, voice cutting through the noise loud and clear.

Taehyung allows himself to gyrate closer towards the younger, to that comforting warmth that's the only thing keeping him rooted right now. Has half a mind to marvel at the way Jeongguk pulls him just that little bit closer until their hips are touching.

"Oh nothing much, really." Baek smiles up at the newcomer. "I was just saying how little Kim's attempt to make me look bad with accusing me of theft was an adorable yet fruitless try."

Jeongguk hums. "What kind of theft did he accuse you?"

He sounds nonchalant, calm. Only Taehyung registers the way his hand buries into Taehyung's shirt and clenches it tight.

"Said I stole his lunch," Baek snorts. "Delusional boy. As if I would ever do such a thing like eating someone else's food."

"Then who actually made the lunchbox?" 

The younger's voice remains calm. Behind his back, he clutches and tucks Taehyung's shirt hard enough for Taehyung to feel the fabric shift over his shoulders.

Another one of Baek's jovial laughs.

"Isn't it obvious? My wife did."

"Did she, now."

At the muttered words, Baek squints at Jeongguk. Part of the merry facade slipping, twisting into a scowl.

"What are you trying to say?"

"Oh, nothing much." Jeongguk shrugs. "Just, last time I checked, your wife was at the other end of the world and helping run the restaurant of her new husband."

Taehyung gapes at the younger, unable to process what he just heard. But Jeongguk's focus is completely on Baek now. He his head and continues.

"Last time I checked, your wife was not your wife at all, Baek-ssi. Last time I checked you've been divorced for the better of three years."

"I've remarried," Baek gripes with reddening face.

"Did you? I wonder why nobody here at work knows about that, when usually you are so eager to share every little achievement of yours."

Jeongguk's whole demeanor changes then, from collected to ice-cold.

"Everybody here knows you are single and a lying piece of ."

Baek sneers at the quiet words. Then jerks his head at Taehyung.

"He doesn't." 

"He does now." Jeongguk states it as the fact it is.

Among all this, Taehyung found his voice again. And seeing how Jeongguk no longer grovels and nods with fake smiles at Baek he thinks maybe it's time he stops holding back too.

His back straightens as he levels an unimpressed look at the baby boomer.

"And about the lying piece of part - I don't need anybody to tell me. You are doing a great job showing and proving that point on a daily basis all on your own."

Baek's gaze flits between the two, his face twisted with anger before it smooths over again.

"I see how it is now." Baek's grin is more a bared teeth display than anything else. "What a cute little play," he croons, "our prized golden maknae is playing knight in shining armor for the newbie. Just look at that, adorable!"

Next to him Jeongguk starts to fidget, to retreat back into his shell for it's obvious where this whole thing is going. However, Taehyung is done. He is done with Baek, with his little games and spiteful words and overall disgusting persona. He won't stand here and wait for the older to start gay-shaming them.

"So what if he is?" Taehyung crosses his arms.

Baek cackles, claps his hands. "And now they are even switching roles! This is getting better by the second. What's next then, the both of you dropping to your knees and declaring your endless love for each other or what? Hilarious."

"With all due respect, Baek-ssi," Taehyung clasps a hand over Jeongguk's shoulder. "I believe what exactly does and does not happen during date night is none of your concerns."

"What-"

Baek's goons have gone impossibly quiet and are just watching their leader as he first gapes, then scowls and finally spits on the floor.

"I knew it," the older sneers, "I knew it all along, ing faggots, that's what you are, a disgrace to this company, to your families! I always knew there is something wrong with the two of you, no wonder Namjoon never-"

"I believe that's quite enough," a new voice cuts through from behind Taehyung.

He turns around to come face to face with their boss himself. Kim Namjoon stands there in the break room's entry since who-knows how long with his hands behind his back and a warm smile.

"Mr. Baek, just a word with you, please. Follow me."

Namjoon turns around and walks off without looking back, giving the older no choice but to follow.

 

A few minutes later, loud shouting can be heard on the whole floor.

"YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY SIDE WITH THESE ABOMINATIONS AND EXPECT ME TO-"

The door to the boss office flies open and crashes against the wall. Namjoon stands in the doorframe, arm stretched out and pressed against the wood. Taehyung cranes his neck, much like everybody else, and watches.

"Thank you for your good work and devotion for this company but your services will no longer be required here."

As much as Namjoon's voice is calm, as much it cuts like a sharp edge. Every warmth has left his features as he levels a flat look at the man storming out of his office.

"I won't accept this," Baek seethes and points a finger at Namjoon. "I will ruin you."

Namjoon doesn't even flinch.

"Just you try."

Baek snarls, then turns on his heels and marches to his own office, slamming the door shut. Noises of things getting crushed and thrown around fill the hallway. Namjoon impassively watches the closed door for a bit and then pulls out a phone.

"Hello? BT Designs Kim Namjoon here. ...Yes, that's right. Yes, eleventh floor. One of my former employees is throwing quite a tantrum here, it would be much appreciated if you could send someone up. ...Yes. Yes, thank you very much."

He hangs up, turns his head to where literally everybody is huddled behind the corner, nods and returns to his office.

"Holy ," Baekhyun mumbles where he's pressed his chin against Taehyung's scalp (Taehyung has no idea where the dude came from). "Did he just fire Baek?"

"It would seem so," Minjae mutters somewhere to his right.

There are a few sighs. And it's Park Bom who says,

"About time."

With a discreet tug to the hem of his shirt, Jeongguk pulls Taehyung out of the puppy pile. As soon as they retract, the crowd starts to dissipate with some more mumbled 'ing finally's.

"Wanna go eat lunch together then?" Jeongguk asks with hushed voice.

It's an easy yes.

 

"So why did you bring your own food today?"

Taehyung watches how the younger slurps his noodles and shrugs.

Because I knew I wouldn't be able to stomach my friends and their prying questions today, not when I'm already nervous enough because of tonight.

"Because I can."

Jeongguk nods and steals a baby carrot from Taehyung's plate.

"Fair enough."

 

At seven pm sharp, Taehyung knocks against Jeongguk's office door.

"I know this is weird," he starts when the door opens. Gnaws on his lip and holds the paper bag just a little bit higher, like a shield. "But my best friend is kinda forcing me to do this and uhm, yeah."

Jeongguk watches him with raised brows.

Taehyung, taking one deep breath, pushes the bag in the younger's arms.

"He says you have to wear this."

The younger peers into the bag. 

"These are... clothes," he observes.

Taehyung nods.

"And your friend wants me to wear them tonight."

Another nod.

"Does he know my size?"

Taehyung shakes his head. "But he's get an eye for that kind of stuff, he's very good at guessing," he presses out.

Jeongguk gives him one of those long stares that make him positively tingle all over.

"Who did you say again is your friend?"

"Uh, Jimin, you know him..."

"What, I definitely don't-"

"Well, you will!"

That's about as much as Taehyung can take. He storms out and lets Jeongguk guffaw after him, retiring to his own office and closing all the blinds to get changed himself.

It takes him more than half an hour to get ready, what with the makeup and choosing from his little array of jewelry he brought along. Jeongguk must be ready well before him for he keeps knocking the same pattern every few minutes. Twice short, twice long, twice short. A simple question mark. It doesn't help at all, makes Taehyung tense up even more.

He swaps the long dangly chains for teardrop crystal earrings one last time before stuffing his makeup and jewelry purse into his bag, together with his neatly folded work clothes. Squints his eyes shut a few more times to readjust the blue contact lenses he put on and then with one deep breath, shoulders his bag and exits his office.

The sharp exhale right next to him makes him look up before he can even pull the door shut.

And damn.

Holy ing .

Jeongguk cleans up so damn well.

What a sight for sore eyes.

Although, Taehyung notices with some discomfort, Jeongguk is not wearing the matching outfit Jimin picked for him at all. Holds the probably untouched paper bag in one hand and stretches out his hand to give it back with a muttered,

"Think I don't know how to dress up?"

Because boi, does he know. Does he know what he's doing, hovering not even a metre away from Taehyung, clad in all black. Taehyung openly oggles at him, fails to take in everything, to grasp the concept that's Jeongguk in a low-cut black silk shirt, tucked in some pair of what must be the tightest leather trousers ever and a heavy leather jacket with some studs.

Taehyung doesn't know where to look first; at the accentuated slim waist, the pale patch of skin where Jeongguk's shirt gapes open and gives view to his collarbones. Or at these thick thighs that make the leather bulge. Or, Taehyung thinks, maybe he should just look nowhere else but Jeongguk's face. Right into those impossibly dark eyes that seem to have a sharp alluring edge to them Taehyung has hardly ever seen there. 

Jeongguk tilts his head, some strands of his now wavy hair fanning over his face as he rakes his eyes over Taehyung's form in return.

"I suppose we are ready to go then," he says and offers Taehyung an arm.

The older crosses the distance in a daze and wraps a hesitant hand around Jeongguk's upper arm. Feels the warm solid muscles shift in his grasp, too thick for him to reach around.

.

Jeongguk gives hims a secretive little smile before looking ahead and leading them out of the office.

"Let's go."

Even his voice sounds different, deeper somehow. Velvety. This Jeongguk is oozing pure , to an extend that has Taehyung stumble behind dumbly. Has him forgetting completely that he dolled up himself to be an equally appealing eye candy. Next to Jeongguk he feels strangely .

This is going to be a long, long night.