chapter 6

You Move Me

Taeyeon and Tiffany were lounging around in Taeyeon’s apartment, watching Netflix together. They were holding hands while Tiffany rest her head on Taeyeon shoulder. Taeyeon actually had no idea what the movie was about as her mind was too occupied with something. She and Tiffany, alone in her apartment, and Taeyeon’s mind already wandering around. Something about kissing Tiffany.

“Oh my Gosh! So it was him from the beginning? He was the actual bad guy???”, Tiffany shrieked, making Taeyeon jolt in surprise. “Tae-tae, did you see that?”

“Uh.. w-what?”, Taeyeon startled, trying to focus on what Tiffany was talking about.

Tiffany chuckled. “What are you doing? Why are you spacing out?”

“Eh ---“, Taeyeon let go her hands from Tiffany and scratched her head. “Sorry I just ---- I had something on my mind.”

“Huh? Something wrong?”, Tiffany asked, she looked at Taeyeon with concerned.

“No.”, Taeyeon shook her head. “It’s just --- I can’t stop thinking how beautiful you are.”

Tiffany blushed and smiled shyly when Taeyeon said that. This midget really know how to sweet talk.

Taeyeon stared at Tiffany, admiring her profile. Tiffany’s eye smile never failed to mesmerize her. Taeyeon moved closer to Tiffany, closing the gap between them and kissed Tiffany.

It was chaste for a moment, and just by that Taeyeon already knew that she would be addicted to Tiffany’s soft lips. Tiffany moved her head and responded the kiss, which eventually made it turned more heated than it was.

When Taeyeon was about shoved her tongue, suddenly Tiffany’s phone rang. Taeyeon opened her eyes and accidently saw the name on the phone and it said “Babe”. Tiffany quickly retreated herself from Taeyeon, checked the phone and just rejected the call.

She turned back her gaze to Taeyeon and just smiled. “Sorry.”

Taeyeon nodded and just smiled back. But seeing the name that was calling Tiffany now made her mind wandering another thing. Who is that ‘Babe’? Did Tiffany two-timing with her? Did Tiffany date someone else?   

**

Yuri helped Jessica to put her luggage inside the train as Jessica already plopped herself on the window seat. Inside, Yuri was actually panicking, she had to go on a trip to Busan with Jessica and she already had the thought how awkward the trip would be.

It was surprising when Jessica suddenly came to her yesterday and handed her a train ticket, informed her that she need to go with Jessica to Busan to attend a conference about culinary business.

“W-what? Why should I join you? Who’s going to handle the restaurant?”, Yuri widened her eyes when she saw the train ticket.

“I think it would be useful to have you with me there. You’re quite famous and it would be good for my restaurant marketing. Your sous-chef will be here and you don’t need to worry about the rest of them. I am sure you can leave them for two days.” Jessica said nonchalantly.

“Two days?? Are we going to stay the night there??”

“Yes. It’s a two days conference. See you tomorrow at the train station. And don’t be late.”, Jessica added and then just walked away, leaving Yuri dumbfounded.

And now here she was, settling herself on the seat next to Jessica. Yuri checked her phone, texting Victoria to ask how the situation on the restaurant was, which Victoria replied that it was under control and everything fine. Jessica on the other hand, busy with her ipad, and Yuri could see that she was exchanging emails.

Once the train took off, Jessica turned off her ipad and she positioned herself to sleep. Yuri sighed. She knew Jessica must be tired from work and the trip was one of her chance to sleep.

Few minutes later, when Yuri was about to reply Sooyoung’s text, suddenly she heard a light snore beside her, and she felt that a head fall on her shoulder. Yuri alerted and she realized that Jessica fell asleep, on her shoulder. Yuri turned her gaze and she smiled at the sight of Jessica sleeping. She looked so peaceful, so pretty and Yuri could admire her side profile for hours. Seeing at how much Jessica enjoyed her sleep, Yuri didn’t even dare to move for another 2 hours until they arrived at Busan.

“Jessica-ssi, wake up. We have arrived.”, Yuri tapped Jessica shoulder. But Jessica didn’t budge.

“Jessica-ssi!! We’re here.”, Yuri tried again, now with her voice slightly loud as she shook Jessica lightly.

“Mmmhh --- 5 more minutes.”, Jessica mumbled, still with her eyes closed.

. How to wake her up? – Yuri.

Yuri touched Jessica’s head and caressed it softly. Jessica let out a small smile in her sleep and it made Yuri chuckled. “Jessica-ssi. Please wake up, we’re in Busan already.”

Jessica eyes slowly opened and when she realized that she was on Yuri’s shoulder, she quickly adjusted her seating position and tidied up her hair.

“Sorry it seemed that I fell asleep on your shoulder.”, she said while Yuri stood up to took out their belongings.

“It’s okay. It was nice to see you sleep.”

“Huh??”, Jessica squinted her eyes.

“I – I mean --- you must be tired so I bet it’s nice for you when you are able to sleep.”, Yuri quickly clarified. 

God! Please don’t think I am a psycho who watching you in your sleep. Why am I always said something stupid to her? – Yuri.

There was car already waiting for them once they got out from the train and they went straight to the hotel where the conference is held. The conference was quite crowded, many businessman and businesswoman whose doing business in food and beverage sector came there, lots of famous chefs in the country could be seen there, some food industry leaders gave speeches and some professionals used the break time for marketing.

Jessica also took this opportunity to market her business. She introduced Yuri as the new head chef of her restaurant and it drew attention from the people there. By the time the 1st day conference has finished at the late afternoon, Jessica was still mingling with lots of entrepreneurs.  After she exchanged business card, she turned her head around trying to find Yuri. And she found her head chef, surrounded by many woman, who Jessica assumed they were also chefs attending the conference.

One of the chef actually touched Yuri’s shoulder and just caressed Yuri’s hand. Jessica frowned at the sight. She felt something boiled in her body. She quickly excuses herself and quickly walked towards Yuri.

“Yuri-ssi, do you have time to have dinner tonight?”, Jessica heard one of the chef asked the question when she already near Yuri.

Before Yuri could answer, Jessica already squeeze herself between them and cut the conversation. “Yuri-ssi, can I have a discussion with you tonight over dinner? I need to talk about our long term plan for the restaurant.”

Yuri was surprise finding Jessica next to her and she just looked at her in confusion.

“Uh ----“, she then took a glance to the woman who asked her for dinner.

Jessica smiled to the women who crowded Yuri and apologize politely. “I am so sorry, ladies. I need my head-chef to have a meeting with me tonight. “

“I --- I didn’t know that we have a meeting tonight.”, Yuri said to Jessica when she catch Jessica after they walked out from the conference room.

“It’s just something that suddenly came up in my mind. So, here’s your key room, meet me at 6.30 at the lobby. See you later.”, Jessica just replied in casually after she handed Yuri’s key. Then she just waved her hand lazily and walked to the lift.

Yuri just looked at Jessica in disbelief. But deep inside Yuri’s heart, there was a slight happiness, knowing that she could spend the night and have dinner together with Jessica.

**

Jessica ended up asking Yuri to go to Haeundae Beach. It was winter, but the beach was still beautiful to look at as the magnificence flourished at night. The night sea blended with the skyscrapers around it created a really gloomy but fantastic atmosphere.  

Jessica let Yuri chose one of the restaurant there to eat and Yuri picked a local Korean food for tonight. She thought it would be boring to have a European or American restaurant as she spend her days at work serving that kind of food. With all the Korean dishes they ordered, they didn’t forget to order Soju as well.

Jessica didn’t talk so much at the beginning. She just said some little things she had in mind on how to improve the restaurant and she asked Yuri’s opinion as well. But after drinking some soju, it seemed Jessica looked more relax and started talking about more personal stuff.

“Do you really want to know an opinion about our menu, Jessica-ssi? I mean --- I am not that confident since even until now I still can’t really – make you the perfect dish.”, Yuri chuckled when Jessica asked her whether they need change some menu or improve it.

“I didn’t mean to put you down all this time, Yuri-ssi. You know you are a really good chef, and I believe that you can do better than you already are because I am sure you are capable to do that. I just need to push you more, that’s all. I never regret it when I chose you as our head-chef.”, Jessica said in honesty. She saw how Yuri seemed to lose her confidence in front of Jessica when it comes to food and she needed to make sure that she could rely on her head-chef’s judgment when she asked opinion.  

Yuri’s face changed becoming brighter when she heard that. “You know when you said my food tasted good, I almost ran to you and hug you.” , Yuri blurted out.

“Ha?”, Jessica looked surprise and she let out an awkward laugh.

“Err – I mean – I won’t do that of course. I won’t.”, Yuri quickly said and shook her head and her hand, slightly blushed.

“You’re quite a charmer I see? You have a lot of fans back in the conference.”, Jessica lifted up her eyebrows, a bit examining.

Yuri flashed her smile. “Ah no. We all get along since we have same profession.”

“Is there someone in your life, Yuri-ssi?”, Jessica asked, she didn’t understand why but she felt that she wanted to dig more about Yuri, especially about her love life.

 “Errr ---“, Yuri scratched her head. “No-one in particular. By the way, you should taste this.”, Yuri quickly pointed her fingers to one of the dishes.

Jessica sensed that Yuri trying to avoid the subject and didn’t really want to talk about her personal stuff. “Sorry if my question is too personal for you.”, she hurriedly said.

“No! No. It’s not that. It’s just, nothing really special about that.”, Yuri snickered. “What about you? I heard many times that you rejected many people who offered themselves to you.”, Yuri changed to subject and turned it to Jessica.    

“I don’t really think much about dating. My work is my priority. You should know that I want everything to be perfect when it comes to work. I broke up with my ex when I started the restaurant and when we split the business, he actually wanted the restaurant business but I refused. Since then, I worked so hard for the restaurant to grow. I know nothing about F&B business but I want to prove myself to him that I can do it. I want to show him that I can built my business without his help. It gives me headache when we were struggling to make profit because I had promised my investors to give them back their money, that’s why I always want to improve, to fix what’s wrong, to add what is lack.”, Jessica shared her story.

Jessica didn’t know why, either this relax atmosphere near the beach, or because of Yuri herself, Jessica felt that she could share the weight she had on her shoulders with Yuri, it was so easy to talk to the tanned woman as Jessica had this belief that Yuri would listen to her and really cared for her.

“Don’t you have a dream to open your own restaurant one day, Yuri-ssi?”, Jessica asked.

Yuri gulped her soju and thought for a while whether she should share her thought about this with Jessica. But she decided to be honest, it was harmless anyway and they just sharing what’s on their mind right now.

“I do. I am still saving money as much as I can and thinking about the concept that I wanted. But then again, I know food, I know how to cook, but I don’t know business. I have to think this really-really carefully.”

“Well, I hope its not too soon. I need you with me ----“, Jessica said, but then she paused. “I mean --- I still need you in my restaurant.”

Yuri smiled and winked. “I won’t go anywhere.”

Oh my! Her wink is so cute! God dammit, Kwon Yuri what did you to me?? – Jessica.

They continue talking for another hour and Yuri could not felt happier tonight. She was glad that Jessica opened up to her a little bit and realized that Jessica actually not as scary as she thought. She had her ups and downs, she had vulnerable side and surely nothing cold about her at all tonight.     

After they finished with dinner, they just strolling down the beach, enjoying the quiet sea near them. There were some people running around the beach and one them accidentally bumped into Jessica, making her tiny body jerked towards Yuri.

Yuri, out of impulse, immediately grabbed Jessica’s hand and held it, scooting Jessica closer to her. “Be careful.”

Jessica was surprise when she felt Yuri’s hand on hers. But she just let it and she didn’t want to let go of Yuri’s hand. With that thought, she mentally cursing herself for being so easy to fluster only with a small holding hand gesture. It felt so secure when Yuri guided her when they walked together, the weather was cold, but Yuri’s hand felt so warm.

Much to Jessica’s amazement, Yuri didn’t let go of her hand either. Even she changed her hand’s position to interlace their fingers together.  For Yuri, the night scenery with Jessica by her side felt so dreamy. She would never thought that she enjoyed this comfortable closeness with the owner of the restaurant. No words needed, but Yuri felt it, the sparks was definitely there tonight.   

**

Yuri walked Jessica’s back to her room after they got back to the hotel. Both of them really didn’t want the night to end but they knew they could not cross the line here.

The stared at each other and Yuri’s beautiful black orbs hypnotizing Jessica.  Impulsive was not really Jessica’s style but much to her own shock, she suddenly did something bold. Jessica leaned forward and kissed Yuri’s cheek, let it lingered for a while.

“Thank you for tonight, Yuri.”, she whispered, then she smiled warmly and walked inside her room.

Yuri still froze and glued to her spot.  She was still digesting what had just happened. Did Jessica just give her a kiss? When the shock was slowly vanished, Yuri felt it again, her heartbeat racing so fast and now accompanied with the butterflies that flying around her stomach.

She grinned to herself, remembering when Jessica’s soft lips touched her cheek.

Damn! I should’ve kiss her on the lips!!!! – Yuri.