chapter 5

You Move Me

Yuri has determined, she will make Jessica smiled. There was no harm in looking that beautiful smile again and she will use that thought as the basis to prepare the dish for the food testing. Today, Yuri chose to make a ravioli bolognaise for the pasta. She read somewhere that ravioli could represent a mood where someone needs comfort. Yuri imagined that Jessica must have been tired and all she could think was a fluffy pillow and a comfy bed everytime she get off work. And she wanted to make a dish where when Jessica ate it, she would find comfort.

Jessica looked at the ravioli, then she looked at Yuri. Yuri grinned in awkwardness, didn’t know how to respond. Yuri held her breath when Jessica shoved the ravioli to .

Yuri finally could let out her breath when she saw Jessica nodded. “This is good.”

Finally!! - Yuri

Then Jessica moved to the signature dish, something that Yuri has learned desperately from the head chef who would be leaving next day. Jessica kept quiet for a moment and staring at the dish.

“Not perfect yet. But good.”

Yuri felt that she almost jumped and hugged Jessica for not saying any complaint today about her food. But of course she had to hold that as she didn’t want Jessica suddenly slapped her in front of everyone.

“It worked.”, Yuri said, making Jessica turned her head to Yuri.

“Huh?”

“When I made the dish. I think about how to comfort someone as busy as you. So you can smile.”, Yuri explained in short. Then it happened again.

Jessica let out a little smile. It was just a small smile, but somehow it already made Yuri so happy.

“Okay. I need to go back to my office. But today’s Valentine ’s Day and it would be a busy day for us. We have so many dinner reservations. I will come back later.”, Jessica stated.

Jessica already walked away when suddenly she stopped and turned around.

“And Yuri-ssi?”

“Ah, yes?”, Yuri startled.

“Thank you.”, she said in sincerity then continue walking away.

Just after seconds when Jessica already out of sight, Yuri immediately squealed.  “Omygod!! Everyone!! She smiled!! Look at that!!?! She actually smiled!!”, Yuri jumped up and down, then went on and hugged everyone in the room when Jessica already out of sight.

“Did you see that? Did you see her smile???”, Yuri asked everyone in excitement. “I did it! Yay!”, she further continued even before someone answered her questions.

“Congratulations, Yuri-ssi. Finally, some good sign from our boss. You just need to perfect the signature dish a little bit more then I believe that you’re settled. ”, the head chef gave thumbs up to Yuri. He finally could leave the restaurant in peace, knowing they all will be in a good hand.

**

Jessica was right. It was a busy night as it was Valentine’s day. The restaurant was packed with so many couples or group of friends. The reservation was full and people kept coming and coming. Yuri didn’t have time to rest as the food order kept coming and she herself now in charge of making the signature dish of the restaurant.

Jessica came when there was a little commotion when several customers complained because the food took too long to come and something was missing from the food. It was chaos in the kitchen but Jessica took a minute to look around before she spotted the problem there. She calmly talked to several chefs there to ask about the issue and walked towards Yuri. Yuri was the head-chef so she was the one who responsible in this kitchen.

“One of the spagetti missing a scallop. Did you do the final check before it was out?”, Jessica asked Yuri.

Yuri actually has assigned one person to do the final check. But it seemed that a mistake cannot be avoided when the restaurant was packed. But she, of course, would not blame her chef.

“I did. Sorry, I missed that one.”, she answered it.

“Make something for them as compliment.”, Jessica demanded. “Don’t ask me what. Just make something simple.”

Yuri just nodded. She wiped her sweat on her forehead then kept checking the food order and instructed the others to start doing their thing. 

One of the waiter came to the kitchen to say something. But she stopped when she found Jessica there.

“Something wrong?”, Jessica asked. She could sense that the waiter wanted to convey something but a bit hesitant or maybe scared to be precise.

“Uhm… ta --- table 4 still has not got their food. Uh.. ---“

Jessica quickly cut her and turned her head to Yuri again.

“Time management, Yuri-ssi. Know your priority. Some of them are waiting for more than half an hour for their food.”, Jessica scolded.

Yuri sighed. She was cooking non-stop and she didn’t need to hear any complaint from her boss. Complaint from the customer has already made her having a headache.

“Jessica-ssi --- Do you see how many people there in our restaurant? Like you said, it was Valentine’s day. I did the best I could.”, Yuri grumbled.

Hearing this, Jessica moved towards Yuri and shot an icy glare at her. “I do not accept excuses.”

Yuri gulped. She was not able to concentrate if Jessica was this close to her. She looked so scary, but also charismatic in a weird way.

“I’ll buying time. Meanwhile, you better finish cooking and serve it to them on time.”, Jessica finally said.

“W --- what are you doing?”, Yuri asked.

“Doing the thing that I should do.”, she said and walked outside the kitchen. While cooking, Yuri could see Jessica grabbed a bottle of wine and talked to the customer. Presumably she was offering the wine and talked to them about types of wine. Some of the customer looked really interested in the conversation and it distracted them from waiting their food to arrive. Yuri quickly speed up her cooking as she realized that Jessica was trying to help her.

The receptionist of the restaurant came to Jessica and whispered something to her. Apparently, there some people who complain since they already made a reservation in the private room but the table was not ready yet since the current occupier of the room has not leaving yet. 

Jessica went to the private room to inform the customer that their time was up and asked them to leave politely. But when she went inside the room, she found Taeyeon there, with Tiffany.

“It was you????”, Jessica glared at Taeyeon. “It was you who doesn’t want to leave?”

Taeyeon showed her innocent grin. “Hi Popsicle! Happy Valentine’s day!”

“Hi Jessi!!”, Tiffany stood up and hugged Jessica. But Jessica didn’t bother to hug Tiffany too long as she needed to shoo Taeyeon away. Another customer has waited for their table.

“Your time is up! There are other people who are waiting for this table!”, Jessica said quickly and pushed Taeyeon from her chair, making her almost fell from her chair.

“hey!!!”, Taeyeon protested. “I still want to spend time here with Tiffany. Come on, Sica! I am your friend, right? Give me another hour. I am being a good customer here.”

“No! I don’t care. Go away!! Shoo, go away!!”, Jessica smacked Taeyeon’s head couple of times, making Taeyeon shrieked and covered her head with her hand. Tiffany just laughed in amusement looking at the sight.

“Alright, alright ---“, Taeyeon finally gave up. “Geez! You’re so violent!!”

“No valentine’s dinner or date, Jessi?”, Tiffany asked when she put her jacket on and stood up from her chair.

“Who wants to spend time on a date with an iceberg?”, Taeyeon answered it even before Jessica could answer.

“Shut up! Go away!”, Jessica pushed Taeyeon out from the private room, with Taeyeon still laughing and kept teasing Jessica. 

**

The busy night was finally over and Yuri let out a sigh of relief. Some of the waiter left already and only the cashier, her and Jessica who were still there. Unfortunately,  there was a snowstorm right now and it was getting worse at late night.

Jessica paced back and forth, trying to make a call but judging from her face, it seemed something was bothering her.

“What’s going on?”, Yuri asked.

“It’s impossible to get a taxi in this kind of weather.”, she answered it. “I left my car in the office and I use taxi when I came here, you know --- I was just too lazy to drive.”, she further explained.

“I can take you home.”, Yuri blurted out. Which, she immediately regretted.

! What the hell? Why did I say that? – Yuri.

But the offer has been escaped from her lips. And it would be weird if she retracted what she just said. Jessica lifted up her eyebrows and looked at her.

“Are you sure?”, she asked.

Yuri gave an unsure smile and nodded. She didn’t exactly know why she had to give such offer. Jessica ended up agreeing to it anyway.

It took more than one hour to reach Jessica’s house since Yuri had to drive super slowly and super careful in the blizzard. Yuri relieved a sigh when they finally reached Jessica’s place. It was so awkward when they were on the way, it was dead silent as Jessica mostly glued to her phone while Yuri was driving. But judging from Jessica’s tense face, she must be working instead of exchanging messages with a boyfriend.

“I think you should wait in my place until the weather got better. It is not safe and your place is quite far from here.”, Jessica stated. Yuri was torn whether she will accept Jessica’s offer this time, but looking at the bad weather, she thought it was the best decision to wait.

Jessica’s penthouse was so huge, it has a minimalist and industrial design combined, and the atmosphere is very cozy. Yuri wondered if Jessica ever felt lonely living in a place this big. When they entered the house, suddenly a sound of growling can be heard from Jessica’s stomach. Yuri could not help but to chuckle, it was so funny as the sound of her stomach was so loud.

“Sorry.”, Jessica said. She was sure that her face turned red, but she tried so much to maintain her flat face and hide her embarrassment.

“Don’t be. We were so busy this evening until we didn’t have time to eat. Actually, I am hungry too. Do you mind if I make something for us and use your kitchen?” Yuri asked.

“What do you have in mind?”

Yuri shrugged. “Mmm --- kimchi stew? Do you have the ingredients?”

Jessica nodded. “Sounds good.”. Jessica then showed Yuri where Yuri could get the apron and where she could find the ingredient she needed.  

Jessica was watching at the dining table when Yuri started to cook. This was the first time Jessica really see Yuri cooked in front of her face. And somehow, she found herself enjoying the view. Jessica was fascinated at how graceful Yuri was when she moved her hand while she was chopping, it was adorable when she kept checking the stove and started steering the pan, and how cute Yuri was when she smiled in satisfaction after she tasted the dish.

I didn’t know she could look this attractive when she’s cooking – Jessica. 

“Why are you looking at me?”, Yuri suddenly asked when she realized her audience of one, which made Jessica startled.

“It’s so nice to see you cook. It’s like --- you really enjoy each of the process and makes it enjoyable to watch too.”, Jessica decided to said it in her honesty. But then she blushed when she just realized how sweet her words was.

Yuri grinned, unable to hide her excitement. “I guess this will be our valentine’s dinner.”

Oops! What? Our Valentine’s dinner? She is your boss, for God Sake! – Yuri.

“I --- I --- I am sorry.”, Yuri quickly said, she could feel the heat on her face even travelled to her ears. “I don’t mean this like a dinner date, or something like a date between you and me or whatever --- oh God, what am I saying ---“

Jessica chuckled. Which mesmerized Yuri since she never saw Jessica this relax before. “It’s okay. I am glad I have company tonight.”, she waved her hand, motioning Yuri not to worry about it.  

Yuri put the finished kimchi stew on the dining table and Jessica helped to set up the table for both of them. Jessica immediately started eating as she was already so hungry. She was confused when she saw Yuri has not started eating and just looked at her, as if waiting for her to comment on the food.

“Yuri-ssi, this is not a food-testing. You do not have to wait for me. Just eat.”, Jessica let out a hearty laugh.

Yuri grinned awkwardly. “Uh --- sorry --- It’s becoming a habit I guess.”

“If it’s make you feel better, I like this.”, Jessica pointed out to the kimchi stew Yuri made. “I told you before I never said that you’re a bad chef. If I think that your dishes are dreadful, I already fired you from the beginning. “

Yuri finally smiled then she started scooping out the food. The atmosphere now was even more relaxing. Jessica who was in front of her right now didn’t sound or didn’t look like her boss. She was more carefree, just like having a dinner with a friend.

“Jessica-ssi, what do you do on the weekends?”, Yuri asked, she was interested to know more about Jessica.

“Huh?”, Jessica was surprised hearing the question.

“I – I am sorry --- I – I don’t mean to ask you on date -- I mean I am just curious – You’re so busy and I just wondering what you usually do on weekends – you know – to relax?”, Yuri quickly clarified, but she was stuttering. She mentally scolded herself as it was so embarrassing when she blurted out that question. What if Jessica thinks that she was rude?

Jessica laughed again. She found Yuri’s nervousness so adorable.   “Stop saying sorry, you kept saying that lots of times already. Well, for the weekends ---- nothing much. Usually I just stay at home. Just being lazy the whole day to recharge my energy.” , Jessica answered.

“Jess! I am home!!!”, they conversation interrupted when Krystal, Jessica’s little sister, opened the front door and shouted in English. “OMO!! What is this? Are you guys having a date?”, Krystal suddenly stopped her step when she found Jessica and Yuri in the dining table, eating together.

“You’re early.”, Jessica chose to ignore Krystal’s question.

“The filming ended early because of the snowstorm. Are you having a Valentine’s dinner, Unnie? Omo omo omo!!”, Krystal teased again, making Jessica’s face flushed.

“No I am not! Krystal, this is Yuri, my head-chef in the restaurant. She drove me home since I left my car in the office. Yuri-ssi, this is Krystal my little sister.”, Jessica explained and introduce them.

“Hey! I know you! I saw you in a drama few times. Wow, I didn’t know your sister is a celebrity.”, Yuri said excitingly and shook Krystal’s hand.

“I know you too!! You’re quite famous, Yuri-unnie.”, Krystal replied. “So this is not a date?”, Krystal now asked Yuri.

Yuri shook her head awkwardly. “I just made dinner since both of us were so busy and didn’t have time to eat.”

“Okay, then you guys don’t mind if I join right? I am quite hungry and I would love to taste a dish made by a celebrity chef.”, Krystal quickly threw her bag to the couch and took a plate and a bowl.

Apparently, Yuri had seen Krystal before when SM had an event where Yuri was in-charge of the food. Krystal explained that she was trained under SM to become an actress and she knew Taeyeon too. Krystal told Yuri how close Jessica and Taeyeon to the point that Jessica could be too violent towards Taeyeon since Taeyeon loved to sister.   

Hearing Krystal kept mentioning Taeyeon and Jessica did this and did that made Yuri felt uneasy. She was envious of how Taeyeon seemed to have a special bond with Jessica.

“It seemed Jessica-ssi is really close to the superstar soloist.”, Yuri mumbled, but there was a slight hint of annoyance there.  

“Why? Are you jealous Yuri unnie?”, Krystal teased again.

“W- what? N – No – I was just –“, Yuri was stammering, being attacked with such question by Krystal.

“Krystal!!”, Jessica scolded Krystal and kicked her leg under the table.

“ouch!!! I am just kidding!!”, Krystal winced but she laughed afterwards. She found her sister and Yuri interaction quite amusing. She was quite sure that there was an attraction there, but maybe both of them just didn’t realized it, yet.

The weather finally got better past midnight and Yuri decided it was safe now to go home. Jessica escorted Yuri to her car and when they almost got in front of Yuri's car, Jessica tripped because the road was still slippery due to the snow. Jessica fell onto Yuri, Yuri tried to catch her but she lost her balance so they both fell down together to the road with Jessica on top of Yuri.

It was awkward. Both of their face was so close to each other and Yuri could literally felt Jessica’s breath. Their eyes locked and fell into a silence. Their lips was so close and Yuri had already spelled many mantra on her head to stop thinking about tasting Jessica’s lips.  

But Jessica suddenly realized their compromising position and hurriedly stood up, cleaning her body from the snow. Yuri followed seconds later, also stood up and cleaned up herself. She scratched the back of her head and Yuri really didn't know what to do right now.

“Uhhh – I am sorry. I slipped ---“, Jessica said nervously, she lowered her head, didn’t even dare to see Yuri’s face.

“It’s okay – Uh I better go. Thank you Jessica-ssi.”, Yuri quickly bowed and opened the door of her car.

“See you tomorrow Yuri-ssi.”, Jessica waved gawkily. Yuri just nodded, gave her an awkward smiled and closed the door.

 What just happened? – Jessica.

Jessica still froze like a statue when Yuri’s car already gone from her sight. She was confused what she was feeling right now, but she could felt her cheeks burning eventhough the weather was freezing. It was very comfortable when she fell onto Yuri and blanketed in her arms even it was only for a moment. And for that split seconds, Jessica just wanted the time to stop.

Yuri on the other hand, kept driving while shook her head repeatedly. She could felt that her heart still thumping hard and it didn’t even stop until now.

“No no no no no!! What is this? Omygod! Are you crazy Yul? Do you really developing feelings for her? She’s an evil woman!! Oh God but she’s so pretty! Ah, damn.. What is this??”, she kept talking to herself nonstop, until she didn’t even realized that she already reached her apartment building.