chapter 1

You Move Me

Jessica sighed while sipping her wine in her own restaurant. Her eyebrows furrowed as she flipped the paper in her hand, reading it back and forth couple of times. It was obvious that the owner and the CEO of Blanc Group was having a lot of thoughts in her head. One of her business, her fine dining restaurant which just opened 2 years ago, finally making profit and became one of the hottest restaurant in Seoul. Having a food and beverage business in Seoul certainly not easy, there are lots of competition and they had to struggle and kept improvising if they want to survive.

In front of her, a superstar singer, one of the shareholders of SM entertainment and an old friend of Jessica was feeling a little bit annoyed that Jessica ignored her. She put down her fork and rolled her eyes when she saw Jessica was so immersed on the paper.

“Jess… You told me to accompany you having a break. But here you are, just talking and mumbling to a paper instead of me, a real human being.”, Taeyeon complained.

Hearing this, Jessica startled and Taeyeon whined catch her attention. “Ah, sorry Taeng. It’s just…. My head chef just resigned and I have to find his replacement as soon as possible. Our restaurant is finally on the hot spot and I want the best chef to maintain our grade.”

“Any luck?”, Taeyeon asked, she was back munching her food.

Jessica shook her head. “There are lots who apply. I looked at all of their CVs.. But, nothing really stands out for me.”

“Maybe your standard was too high.”, Taeyeon shrugged.

“I am not. I am just… -- I don’t know.”, Jessica sighed again. Then she put down the paper and drink her wine again.

“Hey, if it helps.. I know someone. A chef, a really good one. SM worked with her once for a party we held before and everyone was satisfied with the food. Well, you might have heard about her. She's one of the most desirable chefs right now.”, Taeyeon said again, trying to help. She knew one of her good friend was really qualified for the job.

“Who?”, Jessica squinted her eyes.

“Kwon Yuri.”

“Oh.”, Jessica nodded. “Yeah I think I’ve read in a magazine somewhere that she was one of the top chef right now. I’ve also seen her in a television couple of times. She’s still quite young, right? Our age I think?”

“Yes. I can introduce you to her if you interested.”

Jessica think for a moment. Maybe having a young chef was not a bad thing. Young people tends to be brave to create an innovative dish nowadays and she could have attract more young people to come to her restaurant.

“Would she be interested to work here? I mean, I am sure that lots of tops hotels and restaurant wanted her as well.”, Jessica asked.

“Depending on how much money you want to pay her..”, Taeyeon chuckled.

“Money is not an issue. If you can pursue her, I can arrange someone in my company to interview her.”, Jessica smiled.

“Okay then. You wont regret it. Plus, she’s a charmer you know.”, Taeyeon wiggled her eyebrows, teasing.

“So?”, Jessica rolled her eyes.

“Oh come on, Sica. You have not been back to the dating pool since you broke up with him. Just lightened up. Have fun a little bit. ”, Taeyeon reasoned.

Jessica used to date her business partner, Tyler when she first built the Blanc Group empire. Everything was going smooth for both of them. After dating for nearly 10 years, finally Tyler asked her hand in marriage and they were engaged. But soon they realized that their relationship was somewhat become more like a business relationship instead of a romantic relationship. They stick to each other for the sake of their business and comfort zone as Jessica knew what he likes and Tyler knew what Jessica wants. That simple. They lost the sparks, even when they had dinner they will talk about business until both of them felt like it was not a romantic date anymore.

Tyler broke it off when the restaurant just opened and they split the business. Jessica got fashion, jewelry, entertainment and restaurant business while Tyler got property, IT and investment business.  Since then Jessica just drown herself in her work, she thought that she may not be capable to give her heart fully to someone as her work will always be her priority. Her friends, including Taeyeon, tried to set her up on a date with many people. But most of the time Jessica refused, even when she agreed to meet some of them, she will brushed it off after the first date.

“I don’t have time for that.”, Jessica said it nonchalantly.

“Well, you have time for a dinner date with me tonight. What if I offer my self to be your suitor?”, Taeyeon grinned. Jessica laughed hearing this, to which Taeyeon pouted. “Why?? Hey I am not bad, you know!”, she added.

Jessica saw it again, the way Taeyeon looked at her. Jessica was suspicious, thinking that Taeyeon may have feelings for her, but she quickly she washed the thought away since they have been friends for so long and it may be just a joke. Before she could counter, suddenly there was a loud voice echoed the restaurant.

 “Jessiiiii!!!”, a pair of hands wrapped on Jessica from behind and judging from the voice, Jessica already know who was that.

“Geez, Tiff. My eardrum!”, Jessica protested. But she stood up and smiled, gave a big hug to Tiffany Hwang, her best friend. “What are you doing here?”

“I just finished my musical for today and thought that I could come by to eat at the most amazing restaurant in the city. So glad that you’re here today.”, Tiffany presented her eye smile. “Oh, you got company??”, Tiffany turned her gaze to see Taeyeon.

“Uh yeah. Tiff, this is Taeyeon. Tae, this is my friend Tiffany Hwang.”

“Oh my God. Are you for real? You Kim Taeyeon??”, Tiffany squealed.

But Taeyeon didn’t budge. She just looked at Tiffany, mesmerized at her eye-smile.

“Tae!! Yo, Taeng wake up!!”, Jessica waved her hand in front of Taeyeon.

“Ah.. eh.. Oh, yes.. Hi!”, Taeyeon startled then smiled awkwardly. She was struck at Stephanie’s beauty and mentally scolded herself since she must have looked stupid right now.

“I am a big fan of yours!”, Tiffany said to Taeyeon, clearly fangirling, which earned a chuckle from Taeyeon, seeing how bubbly and honest the girl was.  

“Thank you. Well.. well.. I know about you too. You’re a musical superstar. I am also a fan.”, Taeyeon smiled, she stood up and bowed a little bit.   

“Jess.. omygod, are you on a date with her?”, Tiffany dragged Jessica away a little bit and whispered to her.

Jessica made a disgusted face. “What? no! I am not interested dating a midget.”  

Tiffany laughed. “Why? She’s cute, she popular and you guys look good together.”

Jessica just scoffed and then Tiffany helped herself to sit together with Jessica and Taeyeon. After a while, Taeyeon and Tiffany seemed to be getting along as they talked mostly about music. Taeyeon once participated in a musical before so she could feel a connection with Tiffany. Around half an hour later, Taeyeon excused herself as she needed to back home as she had an early schedule the next morning.

“If you don’t want her, can you set me up on a date with her? She’s really cute plus she the Kim Taeyeon.”, Tiffany let out a giggle.

Jessica sighed. “Tiff, aren’t you dating that guy? What’s his name I forgot…”

Jessica knew Tiffany likes to date around even she never hesitate to two-timing on her dating life. Tiffany said she was not ready to be in a serious relationship, however, sometimes she ended up hurting people who she date with since Tiffany was so easy to broke the relationship off. Jessica had to think twice if she wanted to set up Taeyeon on a date with Tiffany, knowing Taeyeon for years, she might fall for Tiffany and Jessica didn’t want Tiffany ended up hurting Taeyeon. Taeyeon may looked calm and cool, but she had a sensitive heart.

“I am just dating him, it’s nothing serious and it’s not exclusive.”, Tiffany shook her head and flipped the menu page, starting to choose any food she wanted to order.

“I don’t want you to play around with Taeyeon.”, Jessica responded. Tiffany just chuckled.

“Hey, it’s just a date. Who said I am going to play around with her?”