Eventful Morning

The Mannequin (Jiyoo)

She couldn’t take her eyes off her. She was too scared that she might turn back into a mannequin in a blink of an eye right in front of her. Yoohyeon was calmly eating her breakfast while Minji had thousands of questions inside her head. Questions she had pushed back since Yoohyeon has appeared in her life. Questions she had been too afraid to face. 

Was Yoohyeon truly alive? She knew she wasn’t a figment of her imagination because other people would see and interact with her but she was a mannequin after all. She seemed human but was she truly? And if she had truly become one, would she age? Would she turn alongside her? Would they live happily ever after? 

« Does your stomach hurt? Are you still full from yesterday? » Her sweet voice brought her out of the black hole of questions that were her in. 

She cleared and shook her head, forcing a smile on her tensed lips « No. No, I’m alright. Just…thinking a lot » 

« About? » Yoohyeon tilted her head similar to a puppy, melting Minji’s heart. 

You, she desperately wanted to let out but chose instead « Work, life,….. » 

« Are you worried about me? » Yoohyeon frowned. She was so good at figuring her out and Minji leaned over, ready to wipe her worries away. 

« Hey! Everything’s okay. It’s just….my anxiety sometimes is out of control. And…I forgot my pills yesterday so my head is a little more messed up than usual » 

« Oh! » Yoohyeon breathed sadly « Did you take them now? » 

« Yeah » Minji reassured her « I’ll get better » She sent her a smile and Yoohyeon nodded « What do you want to do today? Do you want to go back to Reality Catchers? » She changed the subject and Yoohyeon nodded fervently with a small cutesy smile. 

« But all day seems too long so I thought that I could stay here a bit and take the bus like I did yesterday. That way we can leave together again in the evening » She proposed a little hesitantly as to what Minji would say and as much as Minji was worried she wanted to let her a chance to live her life and explored this world by herself more. 

« Sounds good » She smiled at her. 

« Really? » Yoohyeon’s eyebrows rose. 

« Yeah » Minji grinned « You should take time for yourself »

« I like to be with you though » She pouted and Minji’s heart malfunctioned. She had to remind herself to breathe. 

« I like it too » She shyly confessed, averting her gaze to her lap, not seeing the happy expression forming on Yoohyeon’s face. 

 

-

 

« I put money on the counter for the bus and your games » Minji told Yoohyeon from the door, ready to leave for work. 

« Wait, your lunch » Yoohyeon brought it to her and she blushed, mumbling a little thank you while putting it in her bag.

« I also put a spare key to lock and open the door » She pointed at the shiny little metal piece « It’s yours now » Yoohyeon took it, bringing it close to her face in awe, making Minji smile affectionally. 

« I’ll take good care of it. I won’t lose it » Yoohyeon promised enthusiastically. 

« I know » Minji smiled « Well, see you in the evening then » She sighed, not wanting to leave one bit. 

« See you » Yoohyeon waved cutely before hesitantly leaning forward and kissing her cheek. Minji felt her face reddened, she smiled at Yoohyeon like an idiot and turned to leave almost slamming her face into the door she had opened. She mumbled a few words of farewell and disappeared outside. Yoohyeon couldn’t help but giggle at her behavior, closing the door carefully behind her. 

 

-

 

Minji only walked a few meters outside when she saw one of her neighbors sat in front of her own apartment door, reading a book. She frowned and slowed down as the young girl lifted her eyes toward her. MInji took a few seconds to remember her name « Lee Gahyeon, right? Did you lock yourself outside? » 

The young woman got up « Uh, yeah, kind of. My roommate forgot to drop the keys under the doormat after I told her I forgot mine when I went for my night shift so.. » She sighed, passing her hand through her long pink hair « I have to wait here for the next three hours until she gets her break and come by » She explained. 

Minji nodded sympathetically to her neighbor who looked rightfully exhausted. She turned her head toward her own apartment door when she felt the cold air transpierced through her coat. She looked back at Gahyeon with an idea « I have a…roommate who is still home » She pointed at her apartment further down the hall « Maybe you can wait with her » She suggested and saw Gahyeon hesitating « It’ll be warmer than here so you can rest better. And there’s food » Gahyeon’s eyes glistened immediately and Minji smiled. Gahyeon seemed to be like her, the mention of food always got her full attention « So, what do you say? » Gahyeon was visibly tempted but maybe also a little unsure « We’re not weirdos or murderers, I promise » Minji grinned and Gahyeon chuckled. 

« Ok » She agreed with a nod « But only because I saw you quite often for the past year I lived here » She smiled playfully « But I’m texting my friend nonetheless » She joked, yet, got her phone out. 

« Please, do » Minji encouraged her, walking back toward her apartment with Gahyeon in toe. She knocked on the door and it only took a few seconds for Yoohyeon to answer. 

« Did you forget something? » She said before seeing the pink-haired girl standing next to Minji. 

« This is our neighbor, Lee Gahyeon. She’s locked outside so I told her she could wait here for a few hours » Minji presented to her the young woman and the situation. 

« Oh! » Yoohyeon exclaimed before a wide goofy smile spread on her lips « Please, come in. I was just watching TV. Do you watch this show where the cast travels the world? They find these beautiful places and get to eat delicious food » She told her passionately. 

Gahyeon glanced at Minji with a smile and entered the place with a newfound ease « I heard of it but I usually sleep during the day since I work the night shift » 

« Night shift? What is your job? » Yoohyeon continued the conversation with interest. Minji waved goodbye at her « See you in the evening » Yoohyeon whispered to her with a smile before closing the door. 

Minji left for work peacefully that morning, knowing that one Yoohyeon wasn’t alone and second that Gahyeon wouldn’t be all morning freezing in the hallway. 

« I’m a nurse » The young woman informed the silver-haired, looking around the apartment. 

« Oh, you must be very tired then. I can get you a blanket to nap on the couch » 

« Oh, no » Gahyeon waved her hands in front of her « I’m not that tired yet » She insured her just when her stomach growled. Her eyes widened in embarrassment and Yoohyeon giggled. 

« Sweet or salty? » 

« What? » Gahyeon frowned. 

« Do you want sweet or salty food? » Yoohyeon explained. 

« Salty » The pink-haired answered, watering. 

« Let’s see what we can do » Yoohyeon smiled brightly. 

 

_________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! 

Hope you enjoyed? Gahyeon is finally here. 

See you next week :)

-J