A Matter of the Heart

The Mannequin (Jiyoo)

Minji was frozen in place while Yoohyeon stared at her with wide eyes. Minji couldn’t believe she had said these three words but she was also glad she did. Yoohyeon, on the other side, was stunned that she had heard those words. She felt lightheaded and her heart was pounding in her chest. The words from the people who created her resonated in her mind: ‘She will make someone happy’. Suddenly, she was invaded with doubts. What if Minji didn’t love her? What if she only felt good lately and put it on Yoohyeon’s presence? 

She gulped « Do….do you really…feel it? » 

Minji immediately nodded and moved closer to her « I’m sorry I said it so abruptly, it’s just that….I’m scared that whatever will happen in the future I won’t have the opportunity to tell you » She revealed, now face to face with her « You make me feel alive again » She smiled. 

« Minji, I’m not the only reason you are happy. I…. » 

« I’m not putting that on you, Yoohyeon, I assure you » Minji said « I know it’s not your responsibility to make me happy. I….I just know that my feelings for you are beyond that. As much as I tried to rationalize them before, I can’t deny them any longer » She thought for a moment and bit her inner cheek « Yoohyeon, I know this gonna sound really cliché but I’m hoping you haven’t seen many romantic movies to notice » She took her hand and delicately put it over her own heart. Yoohyeon’s eyes widened at the gesture before her brows slightly furrowed as she felt Minji’s heart beat under her palm « Do you feel that? » Minji whispered, their faces now close to one another. Yoohyeon gave her a nod and her eyes met hers « My heart wouldn’t do this just because of happiness. I know it’s maybe too fast but the rush I feel every time you’re close to me is more than just a crush or a disillusion. I’m not expecting you to reciprocate my feeling. I…I just want you to know where I am in all of this » She finished, her hand still over Yoohyeon’s above her heart.

The silver-haired found her vocabulary lacking. She couldn’t form a sentence good enough to answer her. So she showed, in an impulse, what she so desperately wanted to say. She leaned over and pecked Minji’s lips. The other woman was surprised by the gesture at first but let herself relax into it. 

Yoohyeon withdrew, looking into her eyes « I’m sorry, I didn’t know how to say what I feel » 

« It’s alright » Minji whispered, the closeness between them making her blush « Is….is that what you feel? Wanting to kiss me? » She asked shyly. 

Yoohyeon nodded « I…want to do it again. Your lips are so soft » Her eyes fell on them, not seeing how Minji reddened heavily. She was leaning over again but before their lips could touch a phone rang. Yoohyeon jumped back, startled and Minji chuckled « Your phone surprised me » Yoohyeon sighed. 

« It’s not mine » Minji smiled, going to the table to pick up the phone she had given her the prior day « It’s Yubin » She handed it to her after seeing the displayed name. Yoohyeon frowned. How did Yubin get her number? She hadn’t given it to her yet. Minji sensed her interrogation and explained « I took the liberty to give the girls your number and I also added you in the chat we started. I hope it’s alright with you? » 

Yoohyeon’s smile widely « Yes, it’s…it’s awesome » She took the phone « Now, I tap the green button, right? » She remembered from seeing Minji do it and the characters on TV. Minji nodded so she did « Where’re the speakers though? » She saw someone do that on a TV show she had watched back when she had stayed alone at the apartment but they never showed which symbol they were pressing. It surprised Minji that she wanted to share the call with her but she pointed at it quickly nonetheless and Yoohyeon immediately tapped on it.

« Hello? » Yubin’s confused voice came through the speakers.

« Yes, we’re here » Yoohyeon said somewhat loudly which made Minji grin « You’re on speaker. Minji is with me » 

« Oh, hi Minji » Yubin greeted somewhat awkwardly out of surprise. 

« Good Morning, Yubin » Minji greeted back « How are you doing? » She asked mischievously, wanting to know if her new friend would bring up her date with Handong. 

« Very good but I’m also a bit nervous and that’s why I called you » 

« Nervous? Why? » Yoohyeon frowned. 

« Well, uh….ahem….I asked Handong on a date » Her shyness could be heard through the phone. Yoohyeon and Minji exchanged a quick smirk. 

« She told us when she came to get Nannan earlier » Yoohyeon informed her with a smile that she couldn’t see. 

« Oh! » They heard Yubin explained shyly. 

« Congratulations are in order then » Minji teased some more. 

Yubin let out an awkward chuckle « Thanks…I guess » She cleared « That’s why I called you about actually » 

« Ask us anything » Minji tried to make her feel comfortable after all the teasing. 

« You two know her better than I do so I was wondering…I would like to bring her something when we’ll go out. Flowers maybe? But I don’t which type or even if she likes them. Maybe I could go with chocolate? I really don’t know, so I was hoping you could guide me a bit » She finished her rambling. 

« Well, I’m glad you called » Minji smiled « because Handong’s allergic to chocolate » 

« Oh my god! » Yubin groaned « I could have killed her » 

« Don’t be dramatic » Minji laughed « It’s not that serious. She might be allergic but eat some from time to time because she loves it so much » Yoohyeon, by her side, raised a confused eyebrow at the oddness of the statement « I brought her a box once to thank her to have been the spokesperson to get a new elevator from our landlord. That’s when she told me and managed to eat a piece right in front of me, only to sneeze seconds later because of it » She explained. 

« I love this woman the more I learn about her » Yubin let out. Yoohyeon snorted « Don’t laugh at me, Yoo » Yubin sighed « I might withdraw my offer to hire you » She joked. 

« No » Yoohyeon came closer to the phone « I’m sorry, future boss. You are the best. I love you so much » She gave the phone puppy eyes even though Yubin couldn’t see her. From the side, Minji was giving her unconscious love eyes.

On the other side, the Reality Catchers’ owner laughed heartily « I won’t withdraw my offer. You’re too good of a potential employee for that » Yoohyeon whispered a small ‘thanks’ before she continued « So, I guess chocolate is a no. Which leaves flowers. Any idea to help a friend? » She asked them, almost in a pleading tone. 

« I don’t know much about flowers » Yoohyeon shrugged « Except that they’re pretty » 

« Same » Minji said. 

« Okay, I’ll search on the internet. Don’t worry, guys, and thank you so much for your help » 

« You’re welcome » The two replied in unison. 

« Anyway, how are you doing? » 

Minji and Yoohyeon looked at one another. They couldn’t say that Minji just confessed her love to Yoohyeon and that she interrupted their kiss. They couldn’t tell her what Yoohyeon was going through as well because Yubin didn’t know she had been a mannequin. 

« We’re doing good » Yoohyeon was the first to speak « You know…chilling….like people say » 

« That’s great, cool kid Yoo » The tattooed woman chuckled « Well, I have to hang up a bunch of clients arrived »

« Bye » Minji and Yoohyeon said together. 

« Bye » Yubin hung up. 

Yoohyeon and Minji sighed before their eyes met and tension rose between them once again. 

« So…uh…what do you want to do on your day off? » Yoohyeon asked shyly. 

Minji gulped, trying to come up with something decent « Chill? » 

 

-

 

Siyeon entered the number her anonymous source had given her. She let it rang against her ear a bit nervous until the masculine voice answered with a simple ‘Hello?’. 

« Hey, alien lover! It’s wolf eyes » 

« Oh yeah, wolfie » The man, that she had come in contact with on an online forum, chuckled « I didn’t think you would call so soon » 

« I know it’s late, sorry but you and I both know you’re online late the sun comes out » She pointed out. 

« Touché » The man agreed « So what can I do for you you that we couldn’t chat about » 

« You wrote a piece a few years ago about magical mannequins » 

« Oh, that » He cleared his throat « Everyone took me for a lunatic with this story »

« Well, not me » Siyeon guaranteed « I need to know everything about it » 

 

______________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! 

Hope you enjoyed? 

See you next week :)

-J