Revelation Over A Meal

The Mannequin (Jiyoo)

« So, have you and Miss Minji been dating for long? » Gahyeon questioned, raising her head from her food that had gotten all of her attention since Yoohyeon had given it to her. The silver-haired had been very friendly and enthusiastic until the very moment these words passed her lips. Her eyes had widened and her expression was one of shock. Gahyeon immediately thought she went overboard and that she shouldn’t have invaded their privacy, especially with a question such as this one « I’m…I’m so sorry, I shouldn’t have asked. It’s none of my business » 

« Does it really look like we are dating? » Yoohyeon wondered, tilting her head in thoughts. First, it had been Yubin, who haven’t even met Minji when she had asked that question. Then it was the waitress who thought they were having a romantic evening, and now their neighbor with whom she had just met who was continuing this observation. She looked up at Gahyeon with a curious gaze « It’s okay for you to wonder, don’t worry. But please be honest with me… » She leaned closer, her forearms on the table pushing herself forward « Do we look like a couple? » 

Gahyeon put down her chopsticks with a slight frown, after all, it wasn’t really her business to intervene in their intimacy « I mean, you’re not not looking like a couple » She shrugged slowly with an uneasy face, not knowing how the woman in front of her would react. 

« But how exactly? » Yoohyeon’s brows furrowed. 

« Well, you seem to…love each other very much like……you look at each other so…lovingly » Gahyeon tried to explain. She didn’t have much evidence to bring to the table for the little time she had passed in their company, rather, it was…a vibe « It’s just….you give off that energy » 

Yoohyeon absentmindedly nodded, the cogs turning little by little inside her head. Every little gesture/word that she did or told Minji came back to her mind, but most importantly, she reinterpreted everything coming from Minji. Her expressions, her looks, her eyes, her laughs, her blushes, her nervous tics….And if she applied that filter in front of it all….

Her eyes widened in realization. They were all right. She might like Minji more than just a friend already, and Minji…..

 

-

 

« If you were human, I wished you could be my girlfriend » Minji combed the mannequin’s synthetic silver hair gently, a chuckle built at the back of « Damn, I’m so pathetic » She scoffed « And probably a creep » She put down the hairbrush, looking down at her hands for a second before her eyes lifted to the mannequin’s face again « I think if you were real, I would fell in love with you in just a heartbeat. I would be too much of a mess to reveal my true feelings though » She sighed « But somehow if I managed to date you, I would treat you like a princess…No » She shook her head « A queen » A small smile crept on her lips « We would go eat wonderful meals. We would go to the theater and eat a bucket load of popcorn. Walk wherever on this planet and watch the stars to ultimately join them together after we would grow older hand in hand » She sighed contently as she thought of it, tears forming inside her eyes. She blinked them away, taking a deep inhale « I’m trying so hard to find the good side of things. I shouldn’t complain compare to other people who have nothing like I do » She looked back into the mannequin’s inanimate eyes « But it’s becoming harder and harder. I’m running in circles, having the hardest time while the world seems so fast and alive. Don’t get me wrong, I’m trying to keep my head above water but…I….the water is rising and I…..I have nothing around me to help me pull myself out » A quiet sob echoed in the empty room, her hand unconsciously holding Yoohyeon’s, her thumb rubbing against the cold hard plastic. 

« Minji, quit playing with the mannequins. They aren’t dolls. Be quick in there, we have a lot of clients. Let’s not make them wait » Mrs. Shin’s voice broke her reflective and broken state.

Minji sniffled, wiping her tears away « I’ll be right there » She tried to reply with a cheerful tone. Her gaze lifted to the beautiful face of the mannequin that she cupped gently « You’re right, Yoohyeon » She whispered with a small smile « Things will get better »

 

-

 

Yoohyeon remembered it suddenly, like a part of her brain just got unlocked. She was aware she had memories but she wasn’t truly in connexion with them. It was a fog that got evaporated little by little like random tapes forming a puzzle, a complete movie. She got that fluttering feeling of her heart again, yet at the same time, tears fell down her cheeks silently. She couldn’t bear seeing Minji being this depressed, this hurt, while she couldn’t have done anything about it. But also, the way she spoke about dating her filled her heart and mind with joy. It was conflicting. She was crying with a smile on.

« Are you okay? » Gahyeon inquired hesitantly. Yoohyeon turned her attention to her but was unable to speak « Did….did you remember something you didn’t notice before? » The pink-haired tried « Like….the way Minji might care more about you than just a friend? » 

« Something like that » Yoohyeon smiled, unable to truly explain to the other woman what happened exactly without exposing herself as something else than human. 

« Are…are you alright with that? » Gahyeon asked softly. 

Yoohyeon nodded absentmindedly, trying to process it all « I don’t know if she really likes me this way though » She whispered unsure that after coming to life Minji had fully developed these feelings. 

« Oh, come on! » Gahyeon exclaimed « Is it really a friendly thing for you to share an apartment with one bedroom? I mean, I’m pretty sure neither of you sleeps on the couch » She raised a defiant eyebrow, ready to get proven wrong.

« It’s not what it looks like » Yoohyeon told her « Minji took me in….because I didn’t have a….home » She mumbled, uneasily. 

« Were you homeless? » Gahyeon frowned sympathetically. 

« No » Yoohyeon shook her head tensely, not knowing how to tell her without, well, telling her « I lived on an island… » She began, thinking of a story that would hold up. 

« Jeju? » 

« No, more…remote » Yoohyeon lied « I moved to the city but I didn’t have much. So I couldn’t pay rent » She fabricated the story on the spot, inspiring herself from a show she had seen on TV the first day she arrived. Or….came to life. 

« You got kicked out and Miss Minji took you in » Gahyeon slightly nodded to herself as she put the pieces that the silver-haired gave her together. 

« Yes » Yoohyeon confirmed, sighing discreetly in relief. 

« How did you meet her though? » Gahyeon asked for more. 

« At the store she’s working at » Yoohyeon slipped a bit of truth. 

Gahyeon pursed her lips, nodding before cocking her head to the side, looking back at her « That still doesn’t explain the one bed though » She let out, looking in the direction of Minji’s bedroom. Yoohyeon’s eyes widened, agape to give an answer that would most likely be a lie but before she could say anything Gahyeon’s phone rang « It’s my roomie. Excuse me » She said, picking it up but only a few seconds into the call and her happy expression dropped « Are you serious, Dahyun? » She let out exasperated. She sighed, running her hand through her hair while hearing the woman on the other side « Yeah, okay. No, I get it. Don’t get fired for me, I’ll be alright. See you in the evening » She ended the call, putting her phone on the table defeatedly. 

« What is it? » Yoohyeon asked with concern. 

« She can’t come by to give me the keys. Her boss loaded her with work and won’t allow her a break long enough for her to drop by » Gahyeon sighed. 

« So…maybe you’ll take that nap on the couch after all » Yoohyeon sent her a small smile to brighten her up. 

Gahyeon snorted « Sounds nice but don’t you have anything to do? » 

« I had planned to go visit my friend’s arcade this afternoon but I can push back, it’s okay » She assured her. 

« Arcade? » Gahyeon’s face lit up in interest. 

« Yeah, it’s called Reality Catchers. It’s a truly beautiful and exciting place » Yoohyeon told her enthusiastically. 

« I love playing games so that does sound amazing » Gahyeon already made a mental note to go visit this place. 

« Maybe you can come with me after your nap » Yoohyeon proposed. 

Gahyeon stared at her for a moment, assessing the proposition from a person she had just met « Sure » She smiled brightly. 

« Cool. Now, I’ll get you some cozy blankets » Yoohyeon got up, already anticipating her day. 

 

__________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! 

Hope you enjoyed? 

See you next week :)

-J