The Truth and a Surprise

The Mannequin (Jiyoo)

« She looks so badass on that motorcycle » Minji let out impressed as she glanced at her rearview mirror to see Yubin following them on her black and red engine. 

« She looks like a video character » Yoohyeon nodded « It’s unsurprising that Handong and Gahyeon like her » Minji nodded in agreement but Yoohyeon felt the need to add « You do too » 

Minji’s eyebrows rose « In what way? » She asked curiously, eyes fixed on the road. 

« You’re the one character who is so beautiful yet so unaware of it » 

Minji had to concentrate really hard to stop herself from freezing. She blushed profusely, feeling Yoohyeon’s gaze on her « I…I think you’ll be the main character » She muttered.

« So…you’ll be my fated lover » Yoohyeon giggled and Minji chuckled. They had such a beautiful moment together that they almost didn’t notice they had arrived. But since Minji was driving she sighed as she parked, feeling nostalgic already of their moment. They got out of the car, watching Yubin getting charismatically off her bike and putting her backpack on. The three entered the building, Yoohyeon sliding her hand in Minji’s, and reached their floor. 

« That’s Gahyeon apartment » Minji announced turned toward Yubin. 

« Thanks for leading me here » The tattooed woman gave her a grateful nod. 

« Our pleasure » Minji replied with a smile. 

« Have fun » Yoohyeon grinned at her boss and friend « Tell me everything tomorrow » Yubin rolled her eyes playfully « And don’t stress too much. Nannan will like you » 

« Yeah, just give him the treats you bought » Minji said « You’ll win his heart…and his stomach forever with that. I did…and Yoohyeon too » She reassured her. 

« Thanks, guys » She sent them a gentle smile « See you tomorrow » They waved at one another before she knocked on Gahyeon’s door and the couple continued their way toward theirs.

Before they entered though, they hear Dahyun loudly say « Gahyeon, your girlfriend’s here » Their eyes widened as they exchanged shocked looks. They looked back into the hallway but Yubin had already disappeared inside the apartment the two roommates shared. 

« Gahyeon is going to destroy her » Minji breathed, closing the door behind them.

« This is gonna be awkward » Yoohyeon sighed. 

« I think it already is » Minji said « Gahyeon questioned me about what you said this morning and… » She ran her hand through hair « She’s thinking about it a lot. She seems to be very fond of both Yubin and Handong » 

« I hope all will turn out well » Yoohyeon tried to manifest. Minji nodded and a heavy silence suddenly fell upon them as they got comfortable in the apartment. Both knew what would ultimately come their way. More specifically, who would knock on the door soon, and if what type of information. 

« Do you want to watch a movie? » Minji proposed to distract themselves. 

« I would like that » Yoohyeon smiled at her. A smile that Minji made wanted to fade.

 

-

 

Knock. Knock. 

This was it. The moment that their heart dreaded. They exchanged a tense look before Minji stood from the couch and went to open the front door. Yoohyeon wasn’t far behind. 

« Hey, guys! » Siyeon greeted first. 

« Hey! » The two replied. 

« Hey, sweetie! » Bora hugged Minji. She, then, turned toward Yoohyeon « Hey, Yoohyeon! » She opened her arms and hesitantly came toward her « Is a hug okay too? » Yoohyeon beamed at her words and engulfed her in a hug. Minji smiled, happy that her best friend and the woman she loved the most were finally getting closer. However, her heart clenched, thinking about the reason that might have changed Bora’s mind and made her want to get close to Yoohyeon. Was it good? Was it bad? She felt Siyeon gently patting her back. She turned her attention to her best friend’s girlfriend who sent her a small comforting smile. Siyeon always had mysterious eyes that Minji had a hard time decipher but that glint seemed…hopeful. 

« Should we sit? » Yoohyeon asked, nervousness making her voice vibrate. 

It instantly broke Minji’s heart. She didn’t want Yoohyeon to lose that warmth in her eyes. She didn’t want the puppy-like human to become cold inside. 

« That would be best » Bora nodded. Yoohyeon gulped, her heart in as she took place on the couch. Minji sat next to her, putting a protective hand on her thigh. 

« Are you okay? » She asked softly. 

Yoohyeon took a deep breath and nodded. She had to know. She couldn’t live anymore without knowing what happened to her and what she had been through. She looked at Bora and Siyeon who were standing in front of them, with only the low table separating them « You can go » She gave them the cue. 

« Siyeon will tell you » Bora caressed her girlfriend’s crossed arms before sitting on the other side of Yoohyeon. Siyeon stood still, observing them one after the other and with a deep breath, she started. 

« When we came by the other day, we met you… » She looked at Yoohyeon in the eyes « …and you told us that you were a mannequin, I got reminded of a myth I heard some time ago. Or so I thought » She took her chair and placed it in front of them, sitting on it « I watched a lot of true crime on the internet and paranormal stories. I came across a story that I thought was just the creation of some wannabe writer, but when you told us I….I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to give you false hope. Instead, I contacted an acquaintance I made online who knows more about this sort of stuff than me. He came back to me with an address » Yoohyeon’s eyes widened and she put her hand over Minji’s to assure herself this was really happening « Bora and I went there » Minji squeezed her hand and she got reminded to breathe « Some time ago, a man named Kim started a toy factory…. » Siyeon told them the whole story again, just like she did with Bora the prior day. Yoohyeon listened carefully, her heart drumming in her chest but it seemed to her like it stopped. If what Siyeon said was true, not only did she have a family but she also lost it. She had been created by people that poured their love into her and created her soul. A soul that Minji managed to unlock. It was a lot to take in but it also explained her vision. 

When Siyeon finished, Bora put a hand on Yoohyeon’s forearm to gain her attention, which she got « I know it’s a lot right now and you probably have a lot more questions. If you want we can drive you there. And…uh…. » She took something out of her jacket inner pocket « We found this inside. It’s…an undeniable proof » She handed it to her. 

Yoohyeon frowned while taking with trembling hands the yellow tainted picture. At the center were the two people saw in her vision « Mom and Dad » She whispered before her eyes found herself. Her mannequin self at least. But then her jaw dropped in shock. 

« Are you alright? » She heard Siyeon asked but she couldn’t answer. Her eyes filled with tears. It couldn’t be. She would have known. She….It couldn’t be possible.

Slowly, she turned her head toward Minji who was staring at the photography in utter shock. She difficultly detached her gaze to look at Yoohyeon. 

« What’s going on, guys? » Bora frowned at their behavior. 

 

-

 

Minji knocked on the door, trying her best to keep her composure despite the situation. Yoohyeon was at her side, holding onto her arm tightly. It all felt too unreal for the both of them. Bora and Siyeon were behind them completely unaware of the situation. 

« Oh, hey guys! » The woman opened the door gleefully, making Minji and Yoohyeon’s hearts accelerate and Bora and Siyeon’s eyes widened in surprise. 

 

__________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! 

Hope you enjoyed? Sorry for the cliffhanger….or not ;) 

See you next week :)

-J