Sleeping Time

The Mannequin (Jiyoo)

« I think my stomach is gonna burst » Yoohyeon groaned, patting her full belly dramatically as they made their way up the stairs and back to the apartment. Minji laughed heartedly, their dinner had been an incredible exploration of Yoohyeon’s tastebuds and it was without much surprise that they discovered, following what she had already eaten during the past few days, that she wasn’t much of a picky eater. She enjoyed her food more on the salty side while Minji liked it more on the sweet side. But you know what they say: opposites attract. 

« Your stomach isn’t going to do anything, trust me » She replied as she took her shoes off « It will be better after some rest » 

Yoohyeon pursed her lips « Maybe a shower will help? » 

« Maybe » Minji shrugged yet a stupid whipped grin formed on her face. Yoohyeon only smiled wider while looking at her and walked toward the bathroom. Minji watched her leave until the silver-haired stopped abruptly and rushed back toward her to Minji’s confusion. 

« Thank you so much » She mumbled and kissed her cheek before really going to the bathroom this time. Minji stood there, still as a rock, yet, completely freaking out and buzzing inside. Why did Yoohyeon do that? And why was she already completely in love? Because it what it was, wasn’t it? It had been a long time since she had been in love but she could clearly make the difference between a mare crush and falling in love. Yoohyeon made her fell pretty hard and pretty fast. Eventually, as she heard the water run, she got out of her trance and moved herself to her bedroom just to sit on her bed after she retrieved her pajamas. She waited her turn to use the bathroom but her mind was very busy in the meantime. 

 

-

 

« So, we change the mannequins’ clothing every week » The young woman, Mi-Ae, who Minji was going to replace at the store, gave her the instructions « Mrs. Shin is very strict about the timing and you have to respect the dress code she likes but otherwise you’ll be pretty much free to do what you want » She sent her a nice smile « Why don’t you help me right now with the change to see how you do? » She proposed and Minji nodded shyly « Great, get this one » She pointed to the one mannequin next to the one she was lifting « Be careful, they’re really well-crafted mannequins so they’re quite heavy » Minji nodded again and climbed at the display window, making her way upfront the mannequin and she got taken aback when her eyes fell on its face…..Her face…..She seemed so real and beautiful, even her silver hair looked natural. She took her breath away in a second and she was just an inanimate object. Minji’s shy hands wrapped around her cold plastic body and lifted her to get her to the backroom. She carefully put her down and quickly scanned the racks full of items around them, selecting an elegant outfit for the gorgeous mannequin. 

She handled her with delicacy before taking a few steps away to admire the piece of…art. That’s what she would call it. And it wasn’t because of the outfit she had selected. The mannequin could be and still fascinate her. Her features were carved divinely and if someone told her she had been created by gods she would believe them. She looked into her eyes which seemed to stare at her. She was going crazy, right? It was just a mannequin. A mannequin with porcelain skin and delicate lines. Smooth red lips and a cute nose. 

« Good job, girl » Mi-Ae congratulated her and Minji turned reluctantly her attention to her « You understood perfectly. I’m sure Mrs. Shin will like you….Well….In her own way anyway » She shrugged with a chuckle but Minji didn’t really pay attention. She looked around at all the beautiful mannequins until ultimately putting her gaze back on the silver-haired. 

« Who did all these mannequins? » 

« Ahhh » Mi-Ae exclaimed, putting her hands on her hips « They’re amazing, right? » Minji acquiesced « The manufacturer went out of business years ago. Mrs. Shin got them when she opened the store, so it’s been quite a while since they’ve been here already. It’s a damn shame they don’t get fabricated anymore » Mi-Ae sighed. 

« It is » Minji agreed, her eyes still locked on the mannequin in front of her « Did you name them? » 

« What? No » Mi-Ae laughed « It would be creepy » She tapped Minji’s shoulder, shaking her head, and went back to the store « Let me show you the register » 

MInji didn’t think it was creepy, on the contrary, names would make them more friendly. She’ll have to think of it. She reluctantly detached her gaze from the pretty mannequin and continued the tour with Mi-Ae. 

 

-

 

« Your turn » Yoohyeon got Minji out of her daze « Are you ok? Does your tummy hurt? » She asked leaning forward a little worried. 

Minji shook her head with a small smile « Nah, I’m just digesting half-asleep » She goofed, getting up like everything was perfectly fine. She passed by Yoohyeon and disappeared into the bathroom leaving her quite confused. But Yoohyeon shrugged it off and put her clothes, well Minji’s, neatly on top of the drawer. While Minji was in the shower, she took out all of the clothes she had purchased during her eventful day and organized them in the drawer Minji had cleared for her. She hummed happily before her eyes fell on Minji’s sweater. She looked back in the bathroom direction, assuring that Minji wouldn’t be out soon, and brought it to her nose, filling her nostrils with the sweet smell of Minji. When she heard the door open, she put it inside the drawer and closed it quickly « Did you arrange everything in your drawing? » Minji asked as she came back inside the room. Yoohyeon turned back to her nodding with an innocent face « Ok, well…. » Minji scratched the back of her neck « Should we go to sleep? » 

« Yes » Yoohyeon agreed, already making her way to it « You need a good night sleep to work well tomorrow » 

Minji couldn’t help the giddy warm feeling inside her chest, she watched Yoohyeon get into bed and got to the other of it to get inside herself. Just like the prior day, she got awkward but Yoohyeon didn’t let her keep her distance. She even got bolder this time. She settled by her side, putting her head on her shoulder as if she was her pillow. Minji’s heart skipped a beat, a feeling becoming too familiar in the past few days. 

« Is it ok? » Yoohyeon asked. 

« Yea….yeah » Minji stuttered. 

Yoohyeon lifted her head to look at her with a slight frown. After a few seconds, Minji dared to look at her « Am I too close? » Yoohyeon genuinely worried « Is it too intimate? » 

Minji shook her head « No. No. It’s perfectly fine I assured you. It….It’s just….I’m not used to it so… » Minji gulped, averting her eyes to the ceiling. 

« Like I said before » Yoohyeon rested back her head on her shoulder « You’re not alone anymore » 

« I know » Minji closed her eyes with a content sigh. Her hand rose, sliding across her stomach, and reached Yoohyeon. She felt her flinch in surprise before she relaxed and her hand put itself over hers. She was warm and made Minji feel safe and at home. She drifted to sleep easily and even met the silver-haired in her dream. 

She kissed her there. 

But Yoohyeon slowly turned back into her mannequin form in front of her, screaming at her to do something, terrified as to what was happening to her, and Minji couldn’t do anything to save her. 

 

-

 

She woke up with a clear memory of that dream. Her cheeks were red and her breathing heavy, perspiration falling down her temples. She swallowed heavily and turned to the silver-haired deep asleep next to her. 

She was in deep. 

She sighed and untangled herself from Yoohyeon, getting up with sore muscles. She made her way to the bathroom and splashed water on her face. The mirror brought her her reflection, she didn’t look that bad but there had been better times. She sighed and went to the kitchen, checking the time. 

5 in the morning.

Damn, that was early. She couldn’t shake her dream….or nightmare away. She couldn’t help the feeling that crept inside her that maybe it was real. That maybe it was a warning.


___________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! 

Hope you enjoyed?

See you next week :)

If you feel like buying me a coffee :) : https://ko-fi.com/neonlightsonmyface

-J