Chapter 18

One More Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Earlier that day.

 

Soojin woke up in the middle of the night feeling thirsty; Minji slept peacefully next to her, the same could be said about the two poodles sleeping by the end of the bed. Clearly Shuhua wasn’t the ‘no pets on furniture’ type of owner, with care she stood up from the bed and made her way out, everything was quiet as could be, everyone was in their room or so she thought as she stopped in the living room, noticing the window to the balcony open and Shuhua standing out there, all alone. 

"Couldn't sleep?" She asked, approaching the younger one who looked back at her, surprised.

"Yeah…" She replied, before looking into the view again as Soojin got closer and stayed next to her, leaning against the railing and looking at Shuhua. "My sister… Half Sister… Her name is Li Hua." Shuhua said. "She's around Minji's age." 

"Maybe they can be friends in the future." Soojin suggested and saw Shuhua sigh. "You're not coming back to Korea." It wasn't a question. 

"I plan on staying there, with Debby, after our marriage." Shuhua replied as she looked down at the building. Soojin didn't say anything, she just looked at her. "She brings me comfort and-"

"Comfort will never be enough, Believe me. I know." 

Shuhua turned to look at her. 

"Is this about the guy in the picture?" Shuhua asked. "Who was he?"

"Seong-ho." Soojin replied. "Kim Seong-ho. He was my fiancé." Shuhua seemed surprised by the fact, nobody ever told her about Soojin getting engaged or maybe, they knew but never wanted to tell her. "We broke up two years ago." 

"Can I ask why?" 

Soojin sighed. "I dated him out of convenience, he was polite and respectful. A proper gentleman" She laughed. “We were fine at first…”

“What changed?” Shuhua asked and Soojin looked forward to the buildings as she thought back of her memory of that day. Things changed between them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2027

 

“What is this?!”

“How many times have I told you to not go through my stuff?! What’s wrong with you?”

“You didn’t answer me, Soojin!”Seong-Ho said, waving the tiny pink box in his hands before throwing it at her, who caught it in time before it could hit the floor.  She looked at him, surprised by the sudden anger outburst. 

“Seong-Ho.”

“Are you gonna keep on acting dumb?” He walked towards her, and Soojin flinched at the way he forcefully grabbed the box back, ignoring her struggles and eventually pushing her into the bed as he picked a piece of paper from inside it before throwing the box on the mattress, next to Soojin, letting everything fall off. “I’ll read it for you if you want, maybe that can refresh your memory-”

“Don’t-”

“My Soojin” He started, reading the piece of paper, the color now gone from it due to the time. “You have the prettiest eyes. I Like you so much.”He threw it back on the bed and picked up another from it and Soojin just stared at him without knowing what to do or say. “My dear JinJin, you look so cute today.”

“Aegiya-”

“What is this?” He asked again. and pointed at everything else thrown on the bed. “What is all that? Notes? Love notes to MY fiancé?”

“Seong-Ho, those are just… old stuff, from years ago-”

“And you kept them because…?”

"It was from an ex-girlfriend, I forgot I had it, that's all." She lied, she would never tell him that she couldn't bring herself to get rid of all the love notes Shuhua gave her once, she was too attached to the memories. "It's just memories-"

"Ex-Girlfriend? Are you serious?." He asked and she frowned.

"You always knew I was biual so I don't understand that reaction. You're right I shouldn't keep anything from my ex but-"

"I don't need-... I don't want any reminder of your exotic tastes Soojin."

"My what?" Soojin asked. "You said you didn't have a problem with it.

"Yeah, as long as I didn't have to see it." He told her before fixing his glasses. "I want you to get rid of all of this! You hear me?!" 

 

 

 

 

"Things only got worse." Soojin said and Shuhua crossed her arms as the wind became colder. "He went from loving to possessive, wanting to know all of my friends, their phone numbers and even address, I wasn't his fianceé anymore. I was just part of his belongings." 

Yet she kept his pictures on the wall and Shuhua wondered why. Maybe she was still attached to the good memories she had with him once. 

"He would still come to the studio after we broke up but…" She chuckles and Shuhua could tell she got reminded of something funny. "Hui put him in his place."

"I'm glad he was there to take care of you." 

"I think I understand now how Miyeon used to feel about you when I look at Hui," Soojin said and Shuhua frowned. "The sense of considering someone part of your family despite blood relation. Hui is like a brother to me, one I never had."

"I should've appreciated her love back then." Shuhua replied. "But I was too immature to see past my jealousy, even after falling in love with you, I still would look at Miyeon and wonder what she had that I didn't." She said. 

"I think you can still fix things with her, yeah Miyeon is still hurt but… I know she still cares deep down." Soojin said. 

"I should've brought her to meet my parents back then." Shuhua looked at the sky and Soojin did the same. "I know my mom would like her, and my dad too if he had the time but it is too late now, they're gone." There's a pause for a second and Soojin could hear Shuhua gasp. "Oh god… They are gone." She hears her say and turns to look at her. 

She doesn't think she'll ever forget the sight of Shuhua as she finally seemed to realize her parents are gone, the way she looks down, to the street below as her hands shake before holding onto the railing as her eyes start to tear up. After months of holding in, she was finally crying for the first time. 

"T-They're gone-" She sobbed before Soojin took her into her arms, and hugged her tight, as tight as she could, she wanted to keep all the pain away even if she knew she couldn't. "They're never coming back-" 

Soojin doesn't say anything, she just kisses her cheeks, then her forehead followed by the top of her head, she knows there was nothing she could say right now that would make her feel any better, she just needed to let everything out.

"I want them back-" She sobbed against her shoulder, tears staining her shirt.

"I know… I know." Soojin whispered. 

 

 

 

 

x------------x------------x

 

 

Miyeon didn't think Shuhua would actually show up after she sent her a text the night before. Yet, there was she knocking at her door first thing in the morning, looking worried; She didn't bring Minji with her, just as Miyeon had asked, but she could tell the confusion in the younger's face as she walked into the house and walked straight into the living room. 

"I didn't think you would actually come..." Miyeon said, following Shuhua who turned around to look at her. "Minji-"

"Currently painting Soyeon and Soojin's nails as we speak." Miyeon smiled at that, then she sighed as she told herself she should've thought about Minji and her happiness before doing things on impulse. 

"What happened, Miyeon?"

"Minnie and I argued-"

"I know that. Yuqi texted me saying Minnie is going to stay with us for a while, but she didn't tell me why."

Miyeon sat down on the couch and Shuhua did the same. 

"I… I cheated on Minnie-"

Shuhua tried to stand up. "Wha-"

Miyeon quickly pulled her down before she finished what she wanted to say. "Please, listen to me-"  she begged. "I can explain-"

"Just because she cheated on you it doesn't mean you should-"

"She never cheated on me." Miyeon interrupted and Shuhua stopped talking. "She never… She was never cheating, I just let my jealousy and paranoia get the best of me and… and I-"

"Took revenge on someone who didn't do anything." Shuhua finished the sentence for her before she sighs and rubs her face with her hands. 

"I don't want her to leave me."

"I know." Shuhua replied. "You two should talk, like two adults-"

"I tried-"

"No, Miyeon. You tried to make up excuses for what you did, what I mean by talking is tell each other what you two have been feeling for the past months. You have been feeling insecure, right?" The older one nodded. "Why? From what I know Minnie never gave you reasons to think she would cheat-"

"She… Minnie has always been popular with other girls." Miyeon started. "It was part of her charm, she was cute and everyone wanted to be around her… She has a lot of friends, and they're so touchy with her and I know she's just being her friendly self but it feels so familiar-" She stops herself for a second as she seems to remember something. 

 

 

 

2018

Their table was full, Yuqi and Soyeon talked about something related to a video game that had come out, while Soojin was reading a magazine, probably in the cosmetic section as she decides which red lipstick to buy next; But Minnie was right next to her, and attached to her like a baby koala was Shuhua, their youngest. 

It was one of the few times Shuhua and Soojin weren't bickering, because the older girl was busy reading while the youngest had her eyes focused on the second eldest of the group and Miyeon watched from her seat as Shuhua's eyes shine so bright when Minnie speaks. 

"We'll stay after practice to go over the training routine." Shuhua told Minnie, and Miyeon watched as the girl's hand held Minnie's hand who only nodded with a smile, before patti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter