Chapter 10

One More Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2023, Taiwan.

She knocks softly on the door before opening it, Mr. Yeh was sitting on his chair, turned to face the window behind him, admiring the moonlight in the pitch black office while drinking from his cup in silence. Shuhua reached for the switch but couldn't bring herself to turn the lights on. 

"Father" She called, standing by the door, she felt unease, this lingering fear inside her chest, telling her to keep the lights off, to keep herself from seeing him like this. "I talked with my mother… you know she didn't mean those things she said, right?" She asked but there's no answer from him, he only proceeded to keep drinking. "You know… When people fight they tend to say things they don't mean-"

"Your mother meant every word, Shuhua" The man said. "She wanted to hurt me"

"She was just upset, She loves you dearly" The younger said. "I know that." 

"Sometimes love is not enough" 

She didn't like where this conversation was going, He was too serious, almost like thinking about his options, like he has been thinking about this for a while now and Shuhua didn't know how to process this; Her mother was alone in the living room right now, watching the fire inside the fireplace. 

"By tomorrow morning everything will be fine" Shuhua told him, finally walking into the room and closing the door behind her before approaching his desk. "You two are just stressed, maybe a vacation-"

"Your mother wants the divorce, Shuhua" He said before spinning the chair to look at her, he didn't look surprised or sad at all. "and I'm going to give it to her." 

 

 

 

 

Shuhua opened her eyes suddenly as she gasped. Silence greets her yet again as she realizes she was sleeping on her desk as usual, it was still dark outside however the sun was starting to rise so the woman quickly organized the papers in front of her before standing up, leaving the room in silence in hopes to get some coffee so she can properly wake up and get ready for another day. 

The hallway felt colder and emptier than usual as her mind replayed the memory that came back to haunt her in her dreams, She needed some noise to keep the thoughts away. If she doesn't think about it then it won't hurt her. She stops in front of Yuqi's room and quietly opens the door, noticing the other sleeping in her bed calmly, she stands there for a few seconds before closing the door again and going downstairs.

She stood in the living room, looking out the window into the other buildings around, just a few more months and she would be back to China, so she might as well take in and enjoy the view before she leaves again for good, she has no plans of coming back ever again. It was better this way. 

However there was still something left to do.

 

x--------------------×-------------------x

 

To say Soojin was surprised by seeing Shuhua standing next to the front door of her studio, leaning against the wall, was a surprise wasn't enough to describe how she felt. It was 5 am, way too early for her classes and it wasn't the weekend either. Why would she go there?

"Shuhua?" She called, approaching the younger. "What are you doing here so early?" 

"I had nothing to do" It was a lie, there were several pages to finish writing and others to read and study. "So I came here, do you mind?" 

"Well, it is a surprise I admit" She didn't expect to see the other so soon, especially after what happened before, waking up together on her bed and from what she sees, Shuhua seemed pretty casual about it, almost like nothing happened. "But I won't be able to give you any attention, my first students will be coming soon enough."

"That's okay, I can just watch" Maybe the noise could distract her from overthinking.

"...Alright then," Soojin replied as she took  her keys out of her bag and quickly unlocked the door. She looked back at Shuhua as she opened the door and frowned. "What's wrong?" She asked, noticing the younger looking at something from over her shoulder. Shuhua quickly looked back at her.

"Huh? Oh, Nothing." She replied, entering the place followed by Soojin who closed the door behind them. "You know… I'm glad you became a dancer," Shuhua said once they're standing in the middle of the room, surrounded by mirrors. Soojin smiled at her. 

"Why is that?"

"You always looked the happiest when you danced," Shuhua replied, walking around the room mostly to keep some distance between the two of them. "It's good that you're doing something you're passionate about, I hoped you would." 

"I'm doing what I love, just like you," Soojin said. "You always loved acting and now there you are. A respected actress" 

Shuhua smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. 

"Yeah, You're right" She looked around again. "This place is really nice and close to your home too, how did you afford?"

"Well, I worked here and there and managed to get some money… my parents helped me too and once Hui moved in it was easier having to spend less money with bills…" It was a hard time but seeing the results was worth it. 

"Hui…" Shuhua started, looking at Soojin. "He took good care of you?"

Soojin frowned. "This again-"

"I don't mean anything by it" The younger said, and it was true. If the pictures on Soojin's apartment was any hint, it wasn't Hui the man in her life anyways, but she was still curious about them. 

"He was a good friend." Soojin replied. "He always comes here to walk me home after his shift is over, He cares for me when I'm sick and he was there for me when…" when you left. Soojin wanted to say but she closed . "He took good care of me" She finally spoke.

"That makes me happy," Shuhua said. "He is a good man."

"He is." 

For a moment she thought the conversation would die there but the other kept going.

"About your classes… How are your students? A bunch of teenagers?"

Soojin chuckles. "Yeah, They're an excited bunch. Hardworking but they can be quite silly." She said. "They remind me of us when we were kids, just… yelling all day on the school's cafeteria" 

Shuhua chuckles as well. "The fried fries war with Yuqi was my favorite." Soojin laughed as well, she could remember that as if it was yesterday, seeing the other laugh made Shuhua smile. "Soojin, are you happy?" 

She was surprised by the question but could reply to it easily. 

"Yes, I am"

 

 

 

Soojin was a good teacher, Shuhua realized later on as she sat in a corner of the room and watched as the woman guided her students and helped with their dance, pointing out their flaws, showing how to improve and always ready to spill encouraging words to them; The morning was mostly teenagers, full of energy that had Shuhua smiling to herself as she watched them, and they didn't seem to mind her presence there either, maybe a little shy at first but now they no longer cared and the same applied to Soojin. 

They felt comfortable around her, enough to drop the honorifics and Shuhua smiled at that, Seo Soojin still carried with her that comforting energy, the one that once upon a time made Shuhua want to do nothing but just hold her in her arms and forget about everything else. Shuhua sighs before looking down to her own feet, that was in the past, She reminded herself, things have changed and Soojin was happy with the way things are right now.

The woman sat down next to her once they had a 10 minutes break to recharge their energy, despite looking tired, there was satisfaction in her eyes.

"You're a good teacher," Shuhua told her. "And they seem to like you."

"Well, That's good to hear." Soojin replied. 

"I was told I'm a great hype girl." The younger jokes. "I'm great at giving compliments too."

"I'm well aware of that." Soojin said. "Is your charming point." She then added, bringing her water bottle to her lips to take a sip and Shuhua only watched with a smile.

 

 

x--------------------×-------------------x

 

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter