Chapter 16

One More Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Her excuses keep on getting more and more creative." Soojin said, leaning to whisper in Soyeon's ear and the other rolled her eyes as the both of them watched Minji sitting in front of Yuqi on the living room as the chinese woman was teaching her new chinese words in song form and of course the little girl was more than excited to learn and would happily repeat whatever Yuqi said and it was clear on Yuqi's face that she was having fun as well even if the both of them knew why she was there. "First she was just passing by and now she's spending the afternoon playing with Minji…"  Soojin added. 

"Well I can't just kick her out. Minji likes her." Soyeon said.

"I don't think it is only Minji who likes her." Soojin replied.

"Soojin!"

Hours earlier when Miyeon had asked them to babysit Minji for the afternoon, since she was going to be busy helping her parents and Minnie would be at work all day, Soojin and Soyeon gladly accepted and Hui even tried baking her some animal shape cookies which she absolutely loved, but Soyeon wasn't expecting Yuqi to show up to play with the kid since she didn't want to be a third wheel in her own apartment now that Debby was there to stay with Shuhua. 

"Instead of running away from it, you should just make things clear between the two of you." Soojin told her and Soyeon sighs, she knew that the older was right but she didn't know how to approach Yuqi and tell her that nothing was going to happen between them anymore, she doesn't even know if she doesn't want something to happen between them. "Is better than giving her false hope."

"I-"

"Girls!" Yuqi called, getting their attention. "This princess here wants some ice cream!" She said with Minji laughing on her lap while the chinese woman tickled her. "Do you guys have some?" She asked and Soyeon frowned.

"Before dinner?"

"Come on, It can be a secret. Right Minji?" Yuqi asked Minji who looked at Soyeon right away. 

"Please, Aunt Yeon!" Soojin smiled at how Soyeon sighed in defeat and quickly told them 'Ok' which led to Yuqi celebrating with Minji like they're both kids as Soojin went to the kitchen to grab some ice cream for them.  

"But once she's high on sugar, I won't take the responsibility of telling Miyeon why!" Soyeon pointed at Yuqi who shrugged. 

"I'm okay with that!" 

Soojin returned to the kitchen. "There's no ice cream anymore." Then Soyeon could almost see the lightbulb lighting up above her head as she smiled and looked at Minji. "Why don't we go out together to buy some, Minji? Then you can pick which flavor you want!"

"Yes, Yes!" She answered excitedly as she left Yuqi's lap right away and ran to Soojin who held her hand right away.

"Soojin…" Soyeon started. 

"Don't worry, we'll be back in a few" She told her. "In the meantime you guys can watch something together."

Yuqi smiled and almost thanked Soojin for the alone time she was being given with Soyeon; Soojin took Minji's shoes and helped her put them before they made their way out, the girl was excitedly talking about kindergarten and the friends she made there and Soojin gladly nodded along and asked questions about anything, once they were outside, both were surprised by the familiar face. 

"Shuhua?"

"Aunt Shu!" Minji said and then noticed something else. "Puppies!" She said and Soojin looked down to the two poodles standing in front of Shuhua, watching them with curiosity in their eyes as their tails wave happily; One of them was light brown and the other black, almost turning grey. 

"What are you doing here?"

"I heard Yuqi came to spend some time with Minji so I thought it would be a good opportunity to introduce her to my kids." Shuhua said before getting closer to Minji and letting the dogs sniff her before she crouched to the girl's level. "Those are Haku and Mata." 

"They're so cute!" Minji said, petting Haku's head before giggling when he her hand. 

"Yeah, Just like you" Shuhua told her with a smile and Soojin smiled at them before noticing Shuhua looking at her. 

"We were going to buy some ice cream together." Soojin said. "Do you want to come with us?"

Shuhua seemed to think for a second, maybe not feeling so confident about being alone with Soojin again, but she quickly reminded herself that with Minji there nothing would really happen between them and that was a relief for her. 

"Yeah, Sure. I would love to." She replied. "My car is nearby"

"Alright then!" Soojin said while Minji celebrated before asking Shuhua if she could hold on the dogs' leash and the taiwanesse laughed before telling her not yet, but maybe when she's older and stronger. 

 

Meanwhile back at the apartment, Soyeon used the dirty dishes as an excuse to not stay alone with Yuqi in the living room which didn't work much as soon enough the chinese woman made her way into the kitchen and stayed by the door watching her without saying anything until Soyeon sighes.

"Are you gonna stand there like a creep?" She asked, hearing Yuqi laugh in response before she felt the chinese woman approach her and then stop at her side, looking at her. 

"Do you need help?" 

Soyeon points at the pile of plates next to her. "Dry those"

"Yes ma'am!" Yuqi said before getting to work, and Soyeon couldn't stop herself from smiling at her, who smiled back before focusing on the dirty dishes. “You know-” Yuqi started, suddenly. “Back in China, Shuhua and I used to work at a restaurant once. We washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen.”

“Really?” Soyeon was surprised, not really imagining the two of them like this. “What was it like?”

“The payment wasn’t that good, but it was enough to pay our rent and once Shuhua started to get more acting roles and I started out on TV, things only got better.” Yuqi explained. “But to be honest, there were times in which I just wanted to go back home."

"But at least you had Shuhua with you," Soyeon said. "And your mother too."

Yuqi looked down, the mention of her mother was definitely something that she didn't want to talk about and Soyeon wondered why, from what she remembered back when they used to date each other,  Yuqi and her mother got along well and she could tell how much she adored her mother and they even made plans to visit her in China back then, but now that same excitement wasn’t there anymore and that made her curious, wondering what happened, how much she missed about her life.

“But anyways-”Soyeon quickly changed the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter