Chapter 1

One More Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

South Korea, 2028.

 

December 20. 18:30



Shuhua,

 

It’s been a while since we’ve talked with each other, or at least it’s been a while since you’ve replied to any of my emails. I know you’ve been busy with the whole acting and stuff but I hope you would still try to keep in touch, I want to hear about you from you and not from Yuqi on quick phone calls. 

 

Speaking of Yuqi, she told me you’ve been in your overworking mode again and I thought we had talked about this in our last emails, you should rest more. I know your job is important and you want to grow as an actress but please focus on your health, you always end up ignoring it when you get too focused and that always ends with you getting sick. 

 

I hope you’ll take better care of yourself, and I’m sorry I can’t be there to take care of you-

 

“Minnie” She turned around to see Miyeon standing by the door frame carrying a few books as she walked into the room placing them on the bookshelf. She has been reading a lot lately now that she has so much free time at home. “What are you doing?” She asked, with a smile and Minnie scratched the back of her head as she looked at her laptop then back at her wife.

 

“Just sending a few emails” She replied. “To Shuhua” She then added, knowing Miyeon would get upset, especially by the way her eyebrows frown so slightly and the corner of her lips twitch, her displeasure was clear but she didn’t say anything and she didn’t need to. “Hey-”

 

“I didn’t say anything”

 

“You don’t need to, I can see it in your face”

 

“Well, I’m sorry I don’t like that you keep in touch with the girl who has a crush on you”

 

“That was in high school, please let it go, and you know she fell in love with-”

 

“Let’s not talk about that anymore,” Miyeon finally said. “I don’t want to argue right now,” She said. "And I don't want her to hear us fighting"

 

Minnie could only nod as she turned around and quickly started to type again.

 

Anyways, reply to this as soon as you can, it’s the end of the year and I hope to get news from you before christmas. Stay healthy.

 

Your friend,

 

Minnie.



x--------------------×-------------------x



She got the tragic news around seven in the morning on the first day of January, after breakfast in what was supposed to be a fresh new start for her family; The cold winds of Winter seemed to only serve to make the news of Mrs. Yeh’s passing hurt even more. Minnie got the news from Yuqi, who was still sniffing and sobbing on the phone while Minnie tried to make sense of what she just heard, Miyeon’s worried gaze fixed on her as she noticed her wife’s silence.

 

“She was fine, I talked to her last week and then, then-” Yuqi tried to speak on the other side of the phone, but words wouldn’t come out, they never did in those moments. 

 

“I know… I know,” The older replied, lacking the words to comfort the younger. “What about Shuhua? How is she?”

 

"She's locked up in her office" There's anger in the chinese woman's voice. "She told me she had work to do, I didn't see a single tear in her eyes" Yuqi said, deep inside she wanted to go upstairs and storm into that office and try to smack some sense into Shuhua, but it was for the best to deal with things once she was calm; Last thing she should to is provoke her friend in this situation. 

 

As she heard that, Minnie wasn't surprised, If anything she was expecting a reaction like that from Shuhua. Pull up your barriers, study the situation and then act, It was her usual pattern to deal with this without showing how she really felt and she knows how much that upsets Yuqi who was used to have her open and expressive best friend who would show what she felt, and now this one Shuhua who kept everything inside.

 

She wished Soojin was here to guide her again like she always did. 

 

“We’re coming back to South Korea,” She heard Yuqi say on the phone as she tries to control her tears. “She wanted to be buried there”

 

Minnie could only hum in agreement, she understood those wishes, the woman spent most of her life here, raising her only child, and she could see why she was more attached to South Korea than China, there were just too many memories in here to be ignored like that.

 

Once they said their goodbyes and finish the call, The thai turns to her wife who was still sitting by the table waiting for Minnie to say whatever had happened in the phone, the woman took a deep breath knowing that those news would affect Miyeon a lot, despite how she felt about Shuhua nowadays. 

 

"Love...It's about Mrs. Yeh"



x--------------------×-------------------x



South Korea, 2029.

 

January 06.



"Okay everyone, This is everything for today!" Seo Soojin claps as she looks to her class as they politely bow and say their goodbyes to the woman before moving to the benches on the side to pick up their bags before leaving. "Don't forget to keep practicing" She said as they leave one by one, protected from the cold wind outside with their thick coats. "Eun, you need to become more fluid before your performance"

 

"Yes, Noona. I'll work hard!" A young boy says before leaving along with his friends and so she was alone in the studio, surrounded by mirrors, winter always seemed to be colder around this time of the year for her, maybe it was the memories that the date brings back to her. 

 

One could say Seo Soojin was a successful dancer, she had her own studio and there was always new work offers every new week, her schedule is always busy and she couldn't bring herself to complain, she loved the feeling of having something to do, and doing what she loved with the support of her family and friends. 

 

She started to pick her clothes and dress up again before her eyes fell on the still christmas themed calendar on the wall that Soyeon gave her in the previous month.

 

It was January 6.

 

'happy birthday' She thought before she could stop herself and with a heavy sigh she pulled the zipper of her jacket all the way up before turning to leave however she was surprised by someone knocking at the door before opening. 

 

"Hello…?" He looks around. "Oh!" The man says once he spots Soojin alone in the studio. "Hey, I've come to pick you up." He lifted the plastic bag he was carrying. "I bought us dinner too. It's chicken"

 

"You didn't have to, Hui" She said, walking towards him with a smile, and he smiled back before opening the door for her. 

 

"You haven't been eating properly lately, Soyeon told me."He said, offering his arm to her, which she accepted. "Which is a concern because you never skip meals" Hui was the type to worry easily, always wanting to make sure everyone around him was alright despite not knowing how to make things better most of the time, Soojin appreciates that he still tried even when he didn't have a clue.

 

"I haven't been feeling that hungry lately" Soojin said as they finally walk out of the studio and there's a chill down her spine once they're hit with a strong, cold wind before starting to walk away; Her words had the man worried.

 

"You should go see a doctor" 

 

"I'm not sick, It's just…" January is the month of a reminder, like a crack in a porcelain cup, always there to remind you something was wrong and that can't be fixed anymore; January is the month where everything reminded Soojin of her, and what they had and what they lost. "I'm just not sick, don't worry about it" She finally said as they turned around the corner.

 

Hui shakes his head and sighes, part of him knew her reasons but still couldn't quite understand, not after so long.

 

"I'll trust your judgement"

 

"Thank you"

 

The snow and ice that once covered the sidewalks and the streets was starting to melt as the season was only a month away from ending, it was still cold and covering up a lot was recommended despite the bright sunlight that never went away, they didn't live too far away from the studio since Soojin wanted to be able to just walk to work and back home without having to worry about a traffic and after a lot of planning Hui was able to find them an apartment that was close not only to her studio but to his job as well.

 

Hui was currently working on a pet shop despite his wishes to become a singer, and as much one could say you should chase your dreams the reality is that the bills won't wait until your dreams become true so he had to work with what he got, Soojin didn't think it was that bad as every time he comes back home his phone is filled with pictures of cute dogs and cats.

 

"Hey!" It's the first thing they heard as they walked into the apartment and saw Soyeon by the living room, sitting on the couch with the laptop on her lap, despite the greeting her eyes didn't move from the screen as she seemed to be working hard on something. "How was work?"

 

"The usual" Soojin said as she made her way to the couch and sat next to Soyeon as Hui walked straight to the kitchen. "They are far more energetic now, more than me"

 

"It's the age catching up to you" Soyeon joked and then laughed when Soojin pushed her away playfully.

 

"We're the same age!" 

 

"No, You're months older" Soyeon argued before focusing on her work again, Soyeon have been living with them for a few months now after finally deciding to quit her job as a teacher to become a producer instead, her parents still refused to talk to her because of that decision but things have been working out good for her. 

 

"Soojin, your phone is ringing" She heard Hui call from the kitchen and she quickly stood up to go grab it, wondering who would call right now, her circle of friends was still just as small as it was in high school; She entered the kitchen and saw Hui point at her purse with this chin as his hands were busy making a salad, he was oddly into healthy life these days. Much to Soyeon's distress.

 

The woman picked it up, despite being worried about it being an unknown number. "Hello?"

 

"Seo Soojin, Why do you have social media if you don't read your DMs?" She heard the voice coming from the other side and frowns. "I have been trying to contact you for the past few days until I managed to ask your sister for your number"

 

"Miyeon-Unnie?" She looks at Hui and watches as he quietly mouths 'highschool Miyeon?' and she nods to him. "Sorry, I got a new phone and forgot to save your number, what happened?" She asked, moving back to the living room and sitting back next to Soyeon. 

 

"Well-" The house phone started to ring and the woman looked at Soyeon who rolled her eyes as she placed her laptop aside and stood up, muttering a quick 'got it' as she walked towards it to pick it up. "I called because I knew you probably wouldn't like Minnie calling-"

 

"You know I have no hard feelings against her, it's just-" Soojin stops herself, how was she supposed to explain it anyways? Was she just supposed to tell Miyeon she can't look at her wife without feeling the inadequacy creep it's way into her chest at the thought that there was something Minnie had that she didn't and how she would always feel like an insecure teenager next to her? "Anyways, did something happen?" She finally asked. 

 

"Yes, hm… are you sitting?" Miyeon asked and that definitely made Soojin worried.

 

"Yes, I am. Why-" 

 

"Why are you calling me?!" She heard Soyeon say on the phone, obviously upset, which had Soojin not understanding anything. "How did you even get this number?!"

 

Miyeon must have heard Soyeon's annoyance from the other side cause she heard the woman mutter 'ah dammit' under her breath which quickly had Soojin paying attention to the call once again.

 

"What 's going on, Unnie?"

 

"Mrs. Yeh has passed away" Miyeon finally said, not wanting to delay this any further, the words had Soojin frozen in place, trying to process the words. "They'll be burying her in South Korea, it was one of her wishes" 

 

Soojin glances at the calendar on top of the fireplace as she let Miyeon's words sink in. It's January 6. Her ears are now ignoring whoever Soyeon was arguing with on the phone while Hui looked at the both of them in confusion, not knowing who he should question first. 

 

"I was going to ask if you're going to attend the funeral" She heard Miyeon ask, yet she was able to detect the worry in her voice, still not sure how that would affect Soojin.

 

She still could clearly remember Mrs. Yeh in the back of her head, in the kitchen in the old Yeh household cooking something with this gentle smile on her lips as she accepted Soojin's help with the food, the memory was so clear she could almost smell the fresh cookies she was making; She also could remember a certain Taiwanesse watching them by the door frame of the kitchen with her arms crossed and smiling. 

 

She was a good woman despite Shuhua's complaints, but now she was gone and it's January. 

 

'This isn't how you're supposed to celebrate your birthday' It's all she could think. 

 

"Yes, I... We will attend" She eventually replied, as she was starting to be aware of her surroundings now. "I'll talk to Soyeon now" She warned as they said their goodbyes and finished the call, Soojin stood up and made her way to the kitchen and stopping by the door frame as she watched Soyeon chopping some tomatoes like it was someone's head, her eyes go to Hui who was in the corner of the kitchen as if asking him why he gave her a knife as he just motioned at Soyeon as if it was enough answer. "You seem upset," She said to her friend, watching as she took out her frustration on the poor fruit.

 

"Wanna know who called?"

 

"Song Yuqi-"

 

"Song Yuqi- Wait, how do you even know?" The woman asked, finally stopping with the chopping and staring at Soojin. "How does she even have our number?"

 

"Minnie probably gave it to her, and I'm assuming you were too pissed off to let her talk. Right?"

 

"Pissed off is a light word" She heard Hui finally said, coming closer enough to keep the knife away from Soyeon. "I had to stop her from throwing the phone out of the window after she said she would take Yuqi on a trip"

 

Soojin sighes. "You should've let her speak"

 

"You cannot judge me," Soyeon pointed out. "You would do the same thing if it was-"

 

"The thing is, she had a reason to call" Soojin interrupted, knowing full well what Soyeon was going to say and she would rather not think about her right now. "Mrs. Yeh passed away a few days ago" Soyeon seemed in shock by the news, she knew that her friend was most likely thinking the same as she was earlier, wondering how Shuhua was but also probably feeling bad for yelling at Yuqi, who's already grieving, before but she still had her reasons, the both of them did. "Miyeon-Unnie called to ask if we're going to attend the funeral and I said yes… If you don't mind"

 

Soyeon seemed calmer now. "Of course I don't… Minnie and Miyeon will be there right?" Soojin nods, then the kitchen is filled with silence before the woman sighed, suddenly feeling tired as if there was a huge weight on her shoulders and the other two noticed that.

 

"I think I'll go to bed early" It's all she said, before making her way to her room, Neither Soyeon or Hui tried to stop her, they knew that the news was a lot for her right now and Soyeon knew what going to this funeral meant to Soojin, It's was going to be yet another reminder.



x--------------------×-------------------x



The cemetery was filled with people they never saw before and it didn't take long to realize that they must have formed lots of new connections once they arrived in China, especially after living there for so long; There was a lot of chinese speaking going on and Soojin could only understand one or two words from the few times Shuhua had tried to teach her back in high school or when she got passionate about something to the point of switching languages and then having to translate herself to the older, But right now, in the middle of the sea of chinese people in their black suits, it was relieved for her and Soyeon to spot Minnie and Miyeon, and of course, she couldn't forget to mention little Minji who was currently being scolded by Miyeon who was trying her best to fix the little ribbons on her hair. 

 

"This is boring, Mommy" She heard the girl say as they approached the couple and Soojin almost laughed at her honesty but Miyeon didn't seem to find it funny as she pinched her cheek. 

 

"Don't say that-"

 

"She's six, Miyeon. She doesn't understand funerals yet" Minnie said, defending her baby before she notices Soojin and Soyeon approaching them. "Oh, Hello" Miyeon quickly stood up once she saw them.

 

"Aunt Soojin!" Minji said and Soojin laughed before crouching in front of her, holding her hand up for a high five, Soyeon gasps.

 

"What about me? I'm aunt too" She complained and Minji looked at Minnie who Soojin saw make a 'shh' gesture to the little girl but if there was something Soojin knows is that children don't care about being subtle.

 

"Mama said you're baby sized, you can't be aunt"

 

"Your mama is lucky this is a funeral and I can't say what I think" It's all Soyeon said as she poked the little girl's cheek who laughs before holding onto Minnie’s leg who just pats her head as she smiles softly at the kid. 

 

Around 6 or 7 years ago, wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter