CHAPTER 8: I’M SORRY I LEFT YOU

When You Let Him Go

He parked the car and immediately went inside a building. The building has glass windows and most of its part is painted with white. He is now at the hospital.

It is about Hyesung-hyung. Last week... H-he...

Andy’s words kept on ringing on his head. His heart was beating so fast with his mind keep chanting the words... No it’s not true. It can’t be.

Who would be able to register the words he heard earlier. Most especially if it is about the person he loves and longs for.

Three words... It only takes three words to shatter his whole being.

Accident. Hospital. Coma.

Eric was like a walking zombie as he step inside the hospital. His shirt that he carefully wore earlier is now wrinkled and its cuff damped with tears.

Even with heavy breathing and preoccupied mind, he still managed to go to the information desk and ask for the patient’s room number.

He hurriedly went to the room as soon as the nurse told him about the room number. He was so lost in his thoughts that he even bump people as he ran.

He stopped in front of the room and checked if it’s the right room number. From the small glass window of the room, he saw a man.

Even though the man was facing backwards he knows it is his friend... Kim Dongwan.

Dongwan was sitting beside the hospital bed. Eric’s heart beat so fast. He was not able to get a glimpse at the patient as it was blocked by Dongwan from his perspective.

With heavy heart, he mustered up all of his courage to turn the door handle and step inside of the room.

There... he saw him unconsciously lying on the hospital bed. “H-Hyesung...” He lets out an inaudible cry. He was trying to grasp the whole painful situation.

There’s a person who loves him beyond measures. He doesn’t love him back. His heart still belongs to his past lover. Well, that’s what he believed.

One day, that person said... ‘Let’s break up’. Without saying anything he just let him go... And that became the most regretful decision in his life.

He shouldn’t have let him leave in the first place. He should’ve hold him so tightly and never let him go. He should have never let two long years pass just to realize how much he loves him. If he does, will he be able to change the present? Will he be always by his side?

He painfully regrets everything. He promised himself not to regret too much... But now, given the situation... he actually doesn’t know anymore.

Eric inch closer towards him, totally forgetting about Dongwan’s presence. He wants to hug Hyesung so tight. Want to hold him... Kiss him... but he was afraid to do so as the patient in front of him looks so fragile.

Someone please wake me up from this nightmare.

He wish that all of this is just a dream. Just like what happened when he dream about Hyesung with his other half. Or rather... He hopes that two years didn’t pass. That he is still in their old apartment with Hyesung. Like a typical morning, Hyesung will wake him up to get ready for work. After that, he will explain that he is just having a bad dream. If only that’s the case, then he will hold Hyesung so tight and will never let him leave ever again.

Unfortunately, his heart was aching so hard for it to be just a dream. He has no choice but to face this harsh reality. The more he stay in the room the louder his cry gets. He was sobbing so hard and it’s already getting harder for him to breathe.

I’m sorry I left you.

“Hyesung-ah... Sorry...” That’s the only thing he could say. Either he will call for his name or apologise to him. He could only wish that the other guy could hear him. “It’s me Eric. I’m back... I’m sorry, I just came back.” His voice trembles as those words escape from his mouth.

It took few minutes for Eric to calm down. He heard the door opening then close as Dongwan entered the room. He didn’t even notice Dongwan leaving the room in the first place. Maybe his friend did that to give him space.

Eric was just standing still, frozen at his spot. He was staring at the wounds and scratches that covers Hyesung’s porcelain skin. It seems like Dongwan followed his gaze that he reads what he is thinking about.

“While you were in America, Hyesung finally established his own Event Planning business. You know how much he wanted to have a business of his own.” Dongwan’s voice is low with a hint of sadness in his voice. “Ever since high school right?” Dongwan forced a laugher.

He bit his lip and continued speaking. “Maybe he was also motivated when Minwoo said you already have a business in America. So he did the same. He struggled like most businessmen do. Pay debts as he borrowed for capital... Tried his best to look for investors... Then one day he finally had a big offer. We were happy for him, celebrated and got drunk... having no idea about what could happen.”

Eric glanced at Dongwan, heart beating so fast as he listen attentively to his friend.

“His project is to plan a wedding of a CEO’s daughter. It was said to be an arranged marriage but the woman one-sidedly loves the man. On the day of the wedding, the bride found out that the man he loves slash the man she’s about to marry was cheating on her with his ex girlfriend. So the bride ran away before she could stepped into the wedding hall. Hyesung... who worked so hard for the project ran after the bride. That idiot must have the urge to talk to the bride and maybe because he is an expert in one sided love after loving a jerk like you.”

Eric almost cough at his friend’s last sentence. For calling Hyesung an idiot and him a jerk in front of them. But what can he do, Kim Dongwan being Kim Dongwan he always say what he wanted to say.

“The next thing that the witnesses say... The bride crossed the road and then—” Dongwan shuts his eyes closed and can’t finish his sentence. He imagine a long and loud honking of car that suddenly stops after his friend... his precious friend... He couldn’t finish his sentence. From sadness, the tone of his voice suddenly turned into anger. “You know what? That kind of scene mostly happen in the movies, so why did it happened to my friend? I don’t care what happened next to the bride I just want to have my friend back.” Dongwan gritted his teeth.

This only made another trails of tears fall from Eric’s tear stained face.

Dongwan sighed heavily and spread his arms towards Eric. “Well... Long time no see man. I wanted to say that as soon as I saw you but... You look like a walking zombie the moment you stepped in. I won’t blame you for that, that is also our reaction when we first came here. But you know what... I really really wanted to scold you for leaving without saying anything but... whatever. Past is past, glad to see you back.” Dongwan sighed once again before hugging Eric and pats his back. “It’s just such a shame that our reunion would be like this. Not that I’m saying the accident is such a shame, it’s just... of course none of us wanted this kind of scenario. If it didn’t happen, we should’ve been drinking and throwing party with all of us together.”

Dongwan paused for moment then looked around the room. “I thought you were with Minwoo and two kids? Where are they?”

“Oh” That’s the only thing Eric have said. It was Dongwan who kept on talking the whole time. His eyes went wide with his jaw dropped. The usual reaction when a person forgot something very important.

And it only took a few seconds of silence before they could hear panting and hurried footsteps from the corridor. The door opened and they saw Minwoo with his hand on his chest and catching his breath. Andy and Junjin were standing behind him and doing the same thing.

"How dare... you... leave us!” Minwoo whines as he is still gasping for air. “You even got me worried the way you stormed out in the restaurant. I know it’s your car but... to leave just like that without us? Yahh! Is leaving other people behind your specialty?”

Eric turned his gaze away from Minwoo. He doesn’t know what to answer.

Meanwhile, Minwoo was suddenly taken aback from his own words, he doesn’t know why he was suddenly raising his voice. A part of him understand his friend’s action so he just tried to change the subject.

“So... What happened while we were away?” He was asking about Hyesung.

“Nothing... Still a sleeping beauty.” Dongwan shrugs. He glanced at Eric and continued. “But who knows, he might finally wake up ‘cause his prince charming is already here.”

Junjin groaned in disgust. “I agree on the Sleeping beauty part but Prince Charming? That was your lamest joke ever.”

 

TO BE CONTINUED...

I've been busy the past few days, it took me a long time to update. 

Hope you guys had a great day~

SEE YOU IN THE NEXT CHAPTER.