CHAPTER 14: JUST ONE MORE TIME

When You Let Him Go

One day, I woke up in the morning,

Thinking about these memories we had

The things about between you and me,

I know it’s over.

Wait... Is it really over? Eric wondered as he saw Hyesung smiling at him. That kind of smile he misses the most. It felt like a miracle because this time it’s real. This is not just a part of his imagination or something. He is really standing in front of Hyesung’s apartment asking the pretty man to come with him to the mall.

“Okay, let’s go to the mall.” Hyesung smiled at him. Eric doesn’t know if it’s just his mind playing tricks on him but the pretty man glows as he smiled.

The past few days there is an awkward tension between them, but now bit by bit Hyesung was opening up to him. It was as if they are becoming closer recently. Hyesung always felt that unexplainable happiness every time he is with Eric. Although, his he still feel pain in his chest from time to time when he had a blurry flashes of memory when hang around with Eric. Most especially when he is on Eric’s apartment, it feels so weird for him. But Hyesung doesn’t mind that much, for now Hyesung will just do the things that make him happy which includes being around Eric.

Is Hyesung now 100% convinced that they were lovers? Not actually, but he decided to stop overthinking. As they say it is hard to recover from amnesia if the stress level is high. Worrying about things that he didn’t know if it is really true or not would lead him to nothing. So for now, he will cherish every moment and enjoy what they have now.

On the other hand, Eric felt so happy that he could float in the air after hearing Hyesung’s answer. He didn’t know that he would still have a chance like this.

As soon as Eric woke up, he got ready and went to Hyesung’s apartment. He said that he will fulfill his promise to help Hyesung remember as an excuse. He simply just wanted to be with Hyesung.

However, as they exchange smiles when they rode on the car, Eric didn’t expect that something odd will happeningthis day… Everything that happened two years ago was suddenly repeating.

It started when they went to a clothing store. Although, it was different from the one they went before. The situation is very familiar. It is like a déjà vu the moment Hyesung asked him shyly, “Eric-sshi, does it look okay?”

It seems they went back in time. Back when it was his ex-girlfriend’s wedding and Hyesung forced him to go outside the house to ‘cheer’ him up.

He remembered his rude attitude before, the way he just ignored his question before and not even hiding his annoyed expression. This time that they are on the same situation, he tried to change it. “Yeah. You look so handsome my little Prince.” Eric cringed at his words. But it starts to be worth it when he saw Hyesung blushing.

“I’ll get it then.” Hyesung was smiling so genuinely giving emphasis to his puffy cheeks and its rosy red hue.

The sales lady giggled after witnessing two handsome men flirting in front of her.

“I’ll wait for you outside.” Eric whispered to the pretty man before walking outside.

The sales lady glanced at Eric before turning to Hyesung.

“Is he your boyfriend?” asked by the curious sales lady.

Hyesung scratched his nape before nodding shyly.

“Wow! You look so perfect for each other.” Sales lady was beaming with her hands clasped together.

“Thanks.“ Hyesung smiles as he stepped outside of the store.

Hyesung looked around but before he could find Eric, the handsome man was already beside him. “Let me carry that.” Eric said while reaching for the paper bag.

“No, it’s okay. It’s not heavy.” Hyesung swayed the paper bag away from Eric’s reach but failed to do so.

“I’ll carry that.” Eric snatched the paper bag from Hyesung’s hand. “So you will hold my hand instead.” Eric winked after interlocking fingers.

Hyesung hit Eric’s chest. “What the—don’t tell me we are a cheesy couple.” Hyesung sounds like he was grossed out by Eric’s gesture but still unable to hide the curves on his lips.

Eric suddenly felt his heart ached. No, because of me... we weren’t.

They were holding hands as they reached the parking lot.

Eric noticed how Hyesung was smiling so much. He doesn’t know the reason behind his smile but one thing’s for sure that he doesn’t what those beautiful smile vanish.

“Are you that happy?” Eric can’t help but asked him.

To which Hyesung answered right away, “Yes, very very happy.”

If only I did these small gestures that day, then he will be this happy.

“Eric-sshi, are we going home now?” Hyesung asked him but the handsome man was preoccupied with his thoughts.

If the things that happened before was repeating, then I’ll take this chance to make things right. Eric made a sudden U-turn which made Hyesung wear a confused expression.

All of his confusion fades away when Eric asked. “Hyesung-ah, want to take a walk at Namsan Tower?”

Hyesung gleams “Yes, let’s go there.” While clapping his hands like a seal but his expression suddenly changes from happy to worried. “But… aren’t you tired from walking around the mall?”

Eric’s heart thumps at those words. He doubt if Hyesung’s memories are finally coming back. What Hyesung just said was his line before.

Eric-ah. We are already outside, can we go to the Namsan tower? You know… it’s been a while since the last time we go there. I was just want to take a walk and—

To which Eric annoyingly replied.

Aren’t you tired from walking around the mall?

This time the tables have turned and it feels like the universe is playing tricks on him. It was now Hyesung who asked the same thing. He stared at Hyesung as he answered. ”To make you happy… no, I will never get tired of it.”

But it seems like Hyesung didn’t heard those words as he was busy smiling while staring at the view from the car window.

As soon as they arrived, they were greeted by the cold wind. Eric’s body shivers not only by the coldness but also because there’s something in the breeze that holds the fragments of memories from the last time they went there together. It holds pain, sadness and bitterness.

Eric reached for Hyesung’s hand and squeezes it tightly to remind him that being with the pretty man right now is real. “Ahhh! It’s so cold.” Eric said as an excuse as he interlocks their fingers together. It only made Hyesung smile and leave it as is.

As they were walking hand in hand, Eric spotted a good view. “Go stand there. I’ll take pictures of you.”

Hyesung hesitates a little as he himself knows how shy and awkward he is while standing alone in front of the camera. But after looking at Eric who was encouraging him to do some poses, so he did.

He smiled in the camera make various poses. He tried putting his hand near his chin while looking away from the camera. He even stand and step his left foot in front emphasizing his slim legs. He does every poses like a professional model would do. If someone would recreate the same poses, it might awkward but it suit him though... it is Shin Hyesung afterall and his perfect body proportions.

He stopped as he checked the picture he just took. It was Hyesung candidly smiling In front of the camera. It was when Hyesung starts laughing at himself after doing some crazy poses alone.

“Let’s stop it already! Ah it was embarrassing.” Hyesung starts walking in front of him while putting his hands on his cheeks like what he always does every time he was embarrassed. “How were the pictures? Did it came out well?”

“It’s beautiful.” Eric replied while staring at Hyesung who is busy scrolling through the pictures.

The two of them continued walking while still holding hands when Hyesung stopped in his tracks.

“Stay here for a moment, I’ll go get some drinks.” Hyesung was gasping for air.

Eric stopped him before he would walk away. “Let’s go together.”

They went into a café and bought some coffee to warm their bodies from the cold weather. Hyesung spotted a store that sells padlocks. They noticed a message in the package of the padlock that says it is a lucky charm for lovers. Eric suddenly realized that is has the same design with the one Hyesung showed him two years ago.

Eric-ah, look what I’ve found.

“Woah that’s so expensive.” Hyesung gasped as he saw the price of the product. “Whoever buy this product must be rich!” He turned his head towards the handsome man. “Eric-sshi, do you think someone would buy this expensive padlock hoping their relationship with the person he or she loves would last forever?” Hyesung smiled. “Ahhh want to meet that person, it must be pure love!”

That’s you Hyesung. Eric was about to say that to the pretty guy but then he realized something. Knowing Hyesung’s frugal nature, he would usually say that it is just a marketing strategy of a businessman. So why did he would buy something like this few years ago? How desperate he was that time to do something that is far from what he actually believes in?

Eric could imagine Hyesung few years ago deliberating whether to buy the expensive product or not. He would count his money as he bring the padlock to the cashier then put it in his pocket as he step outside the store hoping that it would really give a positive outcome to their relationship. However, when Eric saw that padlock, what comes out from his mouth was…

How dare you show me that stupid thing.

How painful it was for Hyesung to hear those harsh words that time. Eric’s heart crushed into pieces as he imagine those things.

“Eric-sshi…” Hyesung broke the silence which made Eric go back to the present. “D-Did we also put a lock here in this tower? Because that’s what lovers typically do when they come here.” He stuttered as he says those words.

“Huh?” Eric was shocked by the sudden question.

“It’s just… maybe I’ll be able to remember something if ever I saw it.” Hyesung pouts like he usually do to make the other person impossible to turn down what he was asking for.

Eric hesitates a bit, but he thinks that Hyesung deserves to know the truth. “Okay, then.”

With this, Hyesung’s face lits up. “So we really placed ours there?” He cling his arms to Eric’s.

Soon, they arrive at the same place where they put the padlock before… more like where Hyesung put the padlock alone while crying few years ago. However, they can’t seem to find it as there are so many locks in front of them.

“Hmmm… If I will place a lock here, where is the best spot for it?” Hyesung put his hand on his chin, thinking that if he thinks like how he usually thinks would help him find their padlock faster. “I think the best spot is around here. Hmmm… Can you describe me what our padlock looked like.”

“It’s actually similar to the pa—“

“Oh I find a padlock that is similar from the expensive padlock we saw earlier!!!” Hyesung shouted that made Eric not to finish his sentence.

Eric was about to say that it may be impossible to find it when Hyesung screamed. “Woah this one is ours!”

“Eric Hyesung” Hyesung read the writings in the padlock. He smiled and blushed as he read those words. “I even told you before that whoever bought this kind of lock is out of pure love. So you love me that much? So sweeeet~” Hyesung put his hands to his cheeks then nudged Eric’s shoulders.

Eric felt his heart was crushed into thousand pieces. He feels so ashamed of himself seeing how Hyesung smiles so genuine in front of him while he was crying at the same spot few years ago.

It’s actually how you love me so much… even when you’re already hurting.

Eric wants to say the truth. He doesn’t want to lie any longer that he was a very sweet person to him. But he knows Hyesung will be very disappointed and his heart will break if ever he knows the truth.

A part of him doesn’t want to make that smile disappear from Hyesung. Even just for this moment, I want to see you smile. He knows that he is being selfish if he doesn’t say the truth, but he can’t help it. He closed his eyes and whispered hoping desperately that his wish will be answered. Just one more time.

Right at that moment, a single snowflake fell to Hyesung’s nose and melted within few seconds.

“Eric-sshi! It’s snowing!”

Eric turned his head towards Hyesung and that was the time he felt the world turned into slow motion. Hyesung was stretching his arms trying to catch some snowflakes. It may sound simple but it will always felt special if the person infront of you is someone you love. For Eric, it felt ethereal.

Hyesung was beaming in front of him, giving an emphasis to his precious eye smile. Two red dots are also visible on Hyesung cheeks because of the cold weather but that only made the man so beautiful… gorgeous even.

Some snowflakes fell onto his hair, it made him look like a beautiful mythical creature sprinkled with a pristine white stardust.

Another thing that made the moment special is the beautiful melody playing in the background…

 

The memory of love flows like the rain

Like a fool I cry, because I miss you

True though, coming back together in the tower made him remember what he did. Memories were suddenly flooding into Eric’s mind. He could remember that day, the day when his ex-girlfriend got married. He knows that it was all part of Hyesung’s plan to keep him outside of the house. The memories of Hyesung’s sad expression and forced smiles he was giving him that day. It is still vivid how Hyesung was wiping his tears while putting the padlock in the rails of the tower. He could remember how he left him alone and how he tried so hard to hide his sadness when he got into the car. How he ate dinner alone while Eric pretends that he didn’t hear his sobs from the bedroom.

 

If we could love like our first time,

If we can meet again,

I will do it right, I will do everything

I won’t let you leave.

Hyesung was glowing in Eric’s eyes. It feels like time has stopped for them and it’s just the two of them together, not minding about any other people just like in the movies. It was as if they were brought back to the day when they first met.

Eric walked towards Hyesung and grabbed his shoulders. His actions made the pretty man’s heart beats faster. From his shoulders, Eric hold the hood of Hyesung’s jacket. Every move made by Eric sends shivers to his spine. Hyesung just let the handsome man put his own hood around his head. The handsome man made Hyesung wear the hood of his jacket to keep him warm. Although, Hyesung’s cheeks are already warm because of Eric standing close to him and still holding the fabric of his jacket. And instead of letting it go, he uses it to pull Hyesung closer.

Eric wrapped his arms around Hyesung’s skinny waist and kissed his forehead.

“Yah! It’s embarrassing. We’re in public.” Hyesung blushed.

Venting out my anger to you in public two years ago was way more embarrassing.

“Hyesung-ah~” Eric calls the pretty man, still not letting go of the hug.

“Hmm?”

“Thank you for loving someone like me.” Eric sniffled.

Even if I am totally undeserving of your love.

“Eric-sshi… are you crying?” Hyesung was about to pull away from the hug to look at Eric but he hugged him even tighter. He doesn’t want the pretty man to see.

“No.” He sniffled once again and rests his head on Hyesung’s shoulder. “It’s just so cold.”

And I miss your warmth.

 

Hi Guys! New update. This chapter is actually my personal favorite and it’s part of my original plan… everything that happened in the first chapter has repeated. Are you able to spot the similarities / differences from what happened in the past and present?

Finally, in some ways the chapter ended in a good way compared to the first one. 

Also, the lyrics in the first part of the chapter is Eric's line in their song 'Just One More Time' so you could really hear him narrating.

Thank you for the subscribes and comments. It made me happy.(*^U^) 人(*) /

I will also take this opportunity to say there’s TWO more chapters to go. Stay tuned and have a nice day ahead.

SEE YOU IN THE NEXT CHAPTER…