CHAPTER 11: MEMORY

When You Let Him Go

Coma is something that’s unpredictable. There is no set pattern when or how a patient will recover from it. Also, the effects of coma differs from one person to another. Some can easily go back to their daily lives and completely affected by the incident but some may experience brain damage, paralysis and diffulty in speaking.

With all of the technical terms and such, those are the things Junjin understood after talking to the doctor.

“In you brother’s case, I don’t see any difficulties with him. His airway is fine, the same with his circulation and can even respond to verbal commands. However, he might not be able to talk for now as he just recovered. But there’s nothing to be worried about because with his current condition, he might be able to do so within a day or two. For now, he needs to stay for few more days to observe him."

That is why when the time finally comes when Hyesung can handle long conversation without getting easily tired, their friends took the chance to go visit and talk to him.

“Hyung” Junjin was hugging his brother’s waist. Hyesung was sitting on the hospital bed with some pillow in his back to recline himself. “Hyung, don’t ever do that again please. You… I miss you…” Junjin can’t even finish his sentence as he was sobbing.

Hyesung ran his fingers through his brother’s hair. “Oh Jinnie, sorry for making you worried.” His voice was soft and tired.

Those words made Junjin cry even harder. How he miss his brother’s voice so much.

“I’m so glad hyung, I miss you so much.” Junjin heard Andy’s voice in the background. He almost forgot about their presence.

Junjinreleased his hyung from his hug. He straightened himself and wipes the tears from his eyes to let his other friends talk to his brother.

“I took over your business while you are still here. But that’s not important right now, I’m so glad that you’re finally okay.” Andy continued.

“Thank you so much, Andy.” Hyesung smiled at him and pats his back after hugging him.

“Okay, my turn!” Minwoo interrupted. “What’s my name?”

“Eh.” Hyesung was confused at Minwoo’s question. The shorter man blurted out those words hurriedly as if it was an urgent pop quiz.

Despite of his confusion, Hyesung formed his hands into a letter M and answered, “Lee Minwoo.” Hyesung thinks it was just a habit of his friend to ask people what is his name.

Minwoo, however, was relieved to hear his friend mention his name. Meanwhile Dongwan who became impatient for his turn, shoves his hand right in front of Hyesung’s face and starts waving it. “What is this Hyesung-ah? How many fingers can you see?”

Annoyed Hyesung lightly hits his friend’s hand off his face. “Stop it you and your lame jokes Mr. Kim Dongsan.”

“W-what did you just call me?” asked by Dongwan who was slightly nervous.

“Kim Dongsan” Hyesung said innocently.

“Okay, that’s what you call me before as a nickname, so tell me what’s my real name.”

“Wait… Isn’t Kim Dongsan your real name?” Hyesung replied back with a confused expression.

The friends are a bit taken aback from Hyesung’s words. There are staring at each other with a worried expression. Sending glances as if saying, ‘Ey, no way!’ or ‘Amnesia? We are not in the movies or something. Stop it!’

It took a few seconds of silence before Hyesung laughs weakly, breaking their puzzlement.

“Yah Kim Dongwan!” Hyesung laughs with a hint of tiredness in his voice. His lips are forming into a smirk. “I’m just joking okay. You should look at the mirror and see your dumb expression.”

Before Dongwan could whine for getting teased at a not-so-good situation, Hyesung shift his gaze to the person who was clumsily hiding between their two shortest friends.

Everyone became silent and the atmosphere inside the room changed as they turn towards Eric. Minwoo even step aside so that Hyesung could see a full view of the person which everyone knew, whom he misses the most.

Eric took a brave step forward. He gathered all of his courage to face the pretty man in front of him. Well, he is really stupid if he chickens out again right? The man he was longing for finally regained consciousness. The day finally arrives when he will be able to talk to the man, ask forgiveness and say how much he loves him.

You can do it, Eric. He took a deep breath as he said that to himself.

But if only that was the case though… Because as Eric stepped forward and Hyesung was able to have a clear view of him, he was already in the verge of crying.

“Hyesungie… I…” Eric started to speak. He wanted to hold him but Hyesung shuts his eyes as tears starts to fall. Eric saw how Hyesung clench over his chest and wince in pain.

The rest of their friends panicked. They stared at Eric then back to Hyesung.

“I… can’t…” Hyesung sobs.

Eric stepped closer to ease his pain but before he could touch him he felt angry fists grabbing his collar.

“Please get out. My brother doesn’t want to see you.” Junjin pushed Eric outside of the room.

“I can’t…” They heard Hyesung repeats his words in the background.

“Please.” Junjin match his gaze towards Eric and grabbing his collar even tighter.

“Hyesung-ah stop!” Their other friends panicked when Hyesung was about to hit his head. It was a good thing that he was stopped before it happens.

Hyesung put his hand on his head instead. “I can’t… I can’t remember him.”

 

I can’t remember him.

Those words send shivers to Eric’s spine. It felt so cold. An uncomfortable coldness spreads throughout the room. They were shocked.

Eric wished everything was just a joke. He was waiting for Hyesung to say, ‘I’m just joking okay. You should look at the mirror and see your dumb expression.’ Just like what he did earlier to tease Dongwan…but it didn’t happened.

Eric took a step closer. Should I introduce himself or not? How would he introduce himself then? That he is the selfish bastard who broke his heart?

Truthfully, he doesn’t know anymore. The turn of events escalated into something that is too much for him to handle.

Junjinon the other hand was also dumbfounded as he loosens his grip from Eric’s collar. He remembered what the doctor told him earlier aboutt he possibility for his brother to experience amnesia. The doctor even added that they don’t have to worry because it will be just temporary. However, Junjin didn’t expect that this scenario will really happen.

“Hyesung-ah don’t force yourself” Minwoo was trying to calm Hyesung down.

Hyesung was on his own bubble. He was staring into an empty space with his hand on head and talking to himself. “Who are you? Why does it feel like you have a huge role in my life?”

He remembered that he was the man beside him right after he woke up, by the sound of his voice and familiar touch plus how his heart was beating so fast the moment he saw him “Is he perhaps… my lover or something?” He turned his head to friends his friends, who had a confused expression. Their eyes went wide and looked at each other. They are sending nonverbal messages to each other on what to say to the pretty man.

“Did I just said something stupid?” Hyesung put his hand on his head once again. “I’m sorry…” His head starts to hurt. He wasn’t even kidding if he says he suddenly feel dizzy and his vision is starting blur once again. Although, it doesn’t matter for Hyesung. He was really racking brain to remember.

His friends start to panic as they saw him raise his hand and motioning to hit his head… if only Minwoo didn’t stop him.

“You’re right!”

He hold Hyesung wrist to make sure he won’t hurt himself. “His name is Eric, you don’t remember?” Minwoo forced a laughter. “He was beside you when you woke up.”

Minwoo glanced at their friends seeking for support. All of them have a shocked expression after what Minwoo have said. But none of them said anything to opposed it and tell the truth. Even Junjin, who stepped closer and opened his to say something but all the words he wanted say disappeared into thin air.

The five of them knows how stubborn Hyesung is. He won’t stop trying to the point of forcing himself just to get what he wanted. He just woke up, they can’t let another bad scenario to happen.

Meanwhile, Andy was staring at his friends and thinking if they did the right thing.

Is it okay to lie to him then tell everything bit by bit after he is fully recovered? Nothing could go wrong, right?

Right?

 

Hello guys! It’s been a while~ (* )

I think this is the only chapter wherein I did a lot of research and revisions (it’s actually one of the reasons why I just update it right now) I find the ‘recovery part’ hard to write. My phone’s search history is full of articles and patient’s stories about coma while writing this chapter. I found out that the process of recovery differs from each patient. It drives me to freely write my own interpretation about it since every cases of coma is unique. So after a long writer’s block… tada! Here’s the update.

SEE YOU IN THE NEXT CHAPTER!