SPECIAL CHAPTER 8.5: COME CLOSER

When You Let Him Go

(Hyesung’s POV while Eric is in America)

The sound of alarm clock resonates through the entire room. This had interrupted the peaceful sleep of a pretty man named Hyesung. With closed eyes, he tiredly reached the bedside table with his hand to turn off his alarm clock. He turned to other side and tapped the ‘person’ beside him.

“Eric... Eric wake up. It’s time for work.”

Hyesung’s eyes were now wide open as he realized he’s not shaking a person but instead... a pillow. He’s now fully awake. Awake from the dreamland and also from the cold reality.

Hyesung came in contact with his palm first thing in the morning. That was so embarrassing. How he calls for someone who is not there the moment he woke up. He did it out of habit.

It’s been months since Hyesung heard that Eric left to another country. He doesn’t know why. He can’t even count the exact months since he left, because for him... it feels like an eternity.

He is waiting for him. Patiently waiting like always and he misses him so much. His brother knows everything about it and scolded him a lot.

What can I do? It’s not like it’s easy to ‘unlove’ a person.

“Ah Shin Hyesung not again!” He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn’t realize he was already making coffee... Two mugs of coffee to be exact.

He ate his breakfast with double punches of a bitter coffee, hoping that it was already enough to wake him up from the reality that the person he loves will never love him back and currently staying in a different country probably dating some y American women. Hyesung pouts at his own thoughts because it is highly probable.

After much preparation, he checks his things. Making sure that everything he needs for work is inside his black duffel bag. He looks around the house like he always do before leaving. The last thing he would do is to step outside and lock his apartment. That is the cue for him to be on his working mode.

Hyesung would always walk as he go to work. Oopps, correction... To the business he own. He walks not because he doesn’t have a car or anything. It’s just because he likes it very much and somehow it relaxes his mind. The busy people who are rushing to their workplace, the breeze that embraces his skin and the familiar street he was taking. He find it soothing.

He hugs his body and rubbed his hands as he was welcomed by the cold air. His breath turned into a vapor as he sighed when he think about him.

 

I'm now walking by myself on the road that we walked side by side

Everything that I passed is shaking my heart awake

When the wind blows my heart goes against time

And I can still love you like back then

True... He could still love him like before or even more than that. Yes, it may sound stupid. Judge him and call him names but it’s what his heart truly desires.

“Good Morning Sir” The security guard greeted him as he stepped in front of the building. He greeted back while the guard opened the door for him.

The office of his Event Planning business is inside of the building. It’s not that big though, not that small either. The space is just enough for him and his few employees. He felt proud how he could rent a space with an economic price.

“Good Morning Sir.” The experiential designer of the team greeted Hyesung as he walked inside of their office. “Coffee?” She offers to his boss.

Hyesung’s stomach churned at the mention of coffee. He smiled at the woman. “No, thank you. I already had it in my apartment.” Not just once but twice.

He put his bag near his desk and gasped as he saw mountains of bouquet of flowers in a corner. “Woah! You already ordered flowers for the birthday project of our client? The colors don’t match the motif though.”

“What are you talking about Sir, that’s yours. It’s from your suitors.” The woman chuckles as she sips her coffee. Meanwhile, Hyesung the owner was dumbfounded. It took few moments of silence before he finally got his senses back.

“We can’t reuse those flowers for our events right?” Hyesung jokingly asked the designer and they both laughed. “Just use them to design the office. I don’t know. I can’t bring it home, that’s just too many.”

“Okay. What about the chocolates?”

“Chocolates?!” Hyesung was mind blown as he saw the bags of chocolates near the flowers.

Andy suddenly appeared with a chocolate bar in his hands. Yes, Andy is also a part of their team. Hyesung hired Andy as a Marketing Lead.

“Just get a bar of chocolate if you want some snacks. Hyung’s younger brother and I always do that since high school.” He snorts. “I can’t believe Hyung’s admirers multiplied since he became a free man now.”

“Oh you mean after breaking up with his one true love?” The designer giggled. “His name is Eric right?”

Hyesung’s heart flutters as he heard his name.

“Yes. Eric-hyung left to another country but my crazy Hyung right here still patiently… desperately waiting for him to come back.” Andy theatrically says. He even make gestures as if he's a part of a Shakespearean drama. Meanwhile, Hyesung stares into an empty space. He became unaware of his surroundings. All he can hear is a familiar song from the radio that fills the entire office.

 

You who left come to me

I will be here like this

Slowly come a little closer to me

Come to my shattered self once again

Hold me once again like back then

With more warmth, come a little closer to me

Hyesung got tongue tied. He was overwhelmed by how merely hearing his name gives a great effect on him. He stopped zoning out after realizing how their designer knows about it when he is secretive to other people when it comes to his personal life

“Andy... You... Such a blabbermouth. You have a lot of things to do, why are you even here? Slacking of during work hours… you’re fired!”

“Don’t be such a clown Hyung. As if you could survive in this business industry without me.” Andy counterattacks.

Hyesung attempted to kick him but he realized that he must become role model slash good employer in front of other people...as he should be.

 

The whole office is empty except for Hyesung. It is lunch time but Hyesung decided to continue working. He was busy checking all of their projects and making sure that it was working according to plans.

He was so lost in his thoughts as he was trying to allocate their budget when he heard a knock from the door of his office.

A girl in mid twenties is standing at the door. “Good Afternoon, my apologies for coming at this hour but may I please talk to the owner.” The girl is emitting a refreshing aura. She looks like a carefree person and sophisticated at the same time based on her posture.

Hyesung walked towards the girl. “Yes, how may I help you?”

But it seems like the girl didn’t heard him. “Does the owner went on a break? Can I wait for him here.”

Hyesung gestured to introduce himself to the lady in front of him. “Pleased to meet you. I’m Shin Hyesung, the owner of this office.” He even put his right hand near his abdomen and bowed like a noble prince.

The girl also bow in front of him with a hint of surprise in her face. “Woah, you’re the owner? You looked so young.”

“I think I’m way older than you.” Hyesung chuckles softly.

The girl smiled at him. “Can you spare me few minutes? I have an offer to make.”

The girl introduced herself to Hyesung while handing him a business card. Hyesung prevents himself from having a shocked expression after knowing that she is a daughter of a blue chip company President. She even explained that she found this office through a recommendation from a friend. “I want prove my father that we should also trust businesses that offers good quality and not just because it is popular.”

Hyesung can’t really seem to follow what the girl is saying. Soon, he finally understand the situation after the girl mentioned about her wedding. A potential client! He doesn’t know why the girl have to beat around the bush and made him wonder what kind of business he had with someone from a big corporation.

The girl offered him a big amount of money with the condition of well-planned wedding. Well, Hyesung have the confidence to make it happen.

“Mr. Shin, are you willing to take the offer and surpass the standards of my demanding father?”

Hyesung swallowed thickly with those remarks. He could already feel the pressure and the sleepless nights. “Of course Ms. Yoon” Hyesung recalled the girl’s surname from her business card. Who am I turn down the big offer. It is an opportunity for his business to grow and earn more.

 

Few months have passed, Hyesung and his chaebol client meets often. From this project Hyesung agrees… Indeed, the girl’s father is very demanding. The planning process for the wedding took many revisions and additional workload, most of it are from the girl’s father. Making him wonder who is the one getting married: is it the daughter or the father?

Although, it is not something that Hyesung and his team couldn’t take. They are pretty much competitive in this field. There’s only one thing that made Hyesung curious… he haven’t met the groom.

Hyesung cleared his throat to get the attention of his client in front of him. They are currently selecting the songs to be played by the live band in the wedding venue. “Ms. Yoon… What time your is your fiancé is coming? I think we also need his opinion for this.” Hyesung asked his client trying hard not to sound nosy.

He saw how his client’s expression changed then bowed her head. “He doesn’t care about this.” The girl forced a smile. “It was just an arranged marriage in the first place.” The client sighed.

Hyesung stared at the girl in front of him. He suddenly see himself in her. That kind of feeling… he remembered himself years ago.

That fake smile… when you wanted to show you’re okay when you’re actually not.

It’s a good thing that you waited for me. Although, I think that it’s good to have a night walk once in a while.

That sigh… when you are starting to lose your grip from that tiny hope you’re holding on.

Jinnie, he will… he might… learn to love me.

“But sometimes… you just want to love, even though you’re the one who always feel rejected.” Hyesung was shocked how those words came out of his mouth.

The girl nodded. “True” It only take a few seconds for the girl to turn her head towards Hyesung. “Wait a minute—This is not just about me right? You said that out of experience right?”

“What?! Uhmm…” Hyesung panicked, he doesn’t want other people know about this. He tried to distract the girl by fixing the papers in front of them. “So, as for the song…. Okay, I’ll t-take note of t-this one.”

“Woah… After being sentimental, you’re changing the topic. Woah the audacity.” The girl said those line like an intrigued talk show host when an interviewee disagree to unleash a juicy gossip.

“What are you talking about? We are planning about your wedding here.” Hyesung voice turns defensive.

“Yeah. But not until you suddenly became so dramatic. Tell me Mr. Shin… I tell you everything, tell me your story too.” The girl demanded.

“Ms. Yoon, I didn’t force you to tell your own story of how you met your fiancé and how you…” Hyesung didn’t finish his sentence. But it is true that every time they met to ask the girl’s preference for the wedding, the girl would just tell stories to him. Hyesung isn’t complaining though, he always listen. Oddly, he thinks of the girl as his little sister although he remained formal to retain the service provider-client relationship.

“Okay, I know but that is not the point right now.” The girl smiled and put her palms to her chin. “So… who is she? Who is this lucky girl to be loved by someone like you.”

“It is not a ‘she’ but a ‘he’” Hyesung covers his mouth after saying it, feeling stupid how he is starting to open up to his client. At the same time, he was worried that the girl would judge him. However, opposite from what he expected, the girl grinned even wider.

“Aw you’re so cute Mr. Shin. So we have the same experience? No wonder I can share everything to you without holding back.”

 

On the day of the wedding, Hyesung was busy checking everything in the venue. He makes sure that everything is according to plans. He checks every nook and cranny of the venue, a perfectionist he is. He is talking with the staff of the hotel when he felt his phone vibrated in his suit. It could only mean that someone messaged him.

He holds the lapel of his suit to fish his phone in his pocket to read the message. But as soon as he unlocked his phone, he noticed that there is an incoming call. Hyesung smiled as he read the name of the caller... it’s his younger brother. Being distracted by his precious brother, he decided to answer the call before reading the message. He excuse himself to the staff he was talking to earlier and went to a spot in the venue that is few meters away from people.

“Oh, Jinnie. Why did you call?” Hyesung asked his brother as soon as he swiped for the answer button of his phone.

“Eh hyung, it’s not ‘why did you call’ it’s ‘wae jeonhwa haesseo~’” Junjin sang on the other line.

The two brothers laughed. Hyesung finds it really witty when his brother sang the lyrics of the song that is frequently requested in radio programs.

“Do I need a reason to talk to my beloved brother? I just miss you so so much.”

Hyesung smiled, felt so touched by his brother’s reply. “Me too… I miss you so so much. When are you coming back to Seoul?” He asked. His brother is currently having business trip somewhere in the country.

“The day after tomorrow Hyung, don’t worry.”

Hyesung sighed after hearing his brother’s reply.

“Hyung? Why are you sighing? That’s not good for your business.”

“Why do I feel like we won’t be able to see each other for a long time? I miss you Jinnie.” Hyesung pouts at his own thoughts.

“Ey Hyung! Don’t say such things. I am working really hard so that I can finish my job fast okay? For now, go meet the other hyungs or Andy. Wait-- is Andy with you?”

“No, he is busy with other projects.” Hyesung even shook his head as if his brother will see it.

He turned his head towards the staff who mouthed ‘the bride is already here’. Hyesung nodded and gave an okay sign to the staff.

“Jinnie… I have to go, the wedding ceremony is about to start. Don’t overwork yourself okay? I love you, Baby bird.”

Junjin laughed on the other line, he finds it funny how his brother still called him ‘baby’ when he is almost in his 30s. Remembering their endearment since they were kids he replied, “I love you too, Mommy bird. Take care of yourself okay? Stay healthy and eat well.”

“Yes, you too baby.” Hyesung smiled as he hear smooching sounds on the other line. He did the same thing.

After the call ended, he scanned the whole venue. He hear the guests murmuring with each other. Being responsible to the event, he walk towards the entrance of the wedding hall to know what happened.

There he saw the bride, beautiful as ever but completely unhappy. Their eyes met and he saw how the bride mouthed ‘I’m sorry’ to him.

Hyesung unlocked his phone again, thinking that it is the right thing to do. There he saw the unread message from the bride. The one he received earlier but decided to talk with his brother.

“Mr. Shin I’m sorry. For someone who worked so hard to make this event happen but… I can’t. I just can’t. I don’t know what to do anymore.”

He heard gasps from the guests and he saw the bride running away after reading the message. Many people ran after the bride. One member of his team was also about to run but he stopped him. “You explain to the guests and keep them entertained. I will take care it.”

Hyesung doesn’t know why, his feet are moving on their own. He thinks that he have to talk to her. He knows all of her stories. She tells everything to him like an older brother, things she can’t say to other people.

He parted ways from the men who are running after the bride. He changed his route and there he saw a familiar figure. “Ms. Yoon! Let’s talk.” Hyesung ran faster to chase after her.

“Yah! Yoon Seojin!” He panicked that he dropped formalities when the girl started to cross the road. Hyesung turned his head towards the honking cars and back to the girl. Out of reflex, he grabbed the girl’s arm to save her and the life inside her womb.

***

“You’re pregnant?” Hyesung asked the girl in front of him.

The girl nodded. “You’re the first one to know. I haven’t told anyone aside from you.”

“Wow.” Hyesung laughed. “I feel so honored. When are you going to tell your fiancé?”

“After the wedding. Do you think every thing will be fine?” The girl asked Hyesung.

“Yes of course, let’s hope for the best.” Hyesung reassured.

***

Everything happened so fast, the only thing he knew is hearing a loud crashing sound then his body was thrown into a stone-cold ground. His vision starts to blur, his body feels so numb and he can taste his own blood. Although, he can still hear his surroundings.

There are people gasping but the voice that stand out from the crowd was owned by a girl screaming his name in horror. It must be his client. There are also people shouting and calling for help.

“Call an ambulance! Hurry!”

“No one touch him, it would just worsen the injury. Let the professionals do it.”

“Don’t crowd over him, he needs more oxygen.”

People say that during life and death situation, a person will reminisce the happiest moments of his or her life. That is the situation he’s in.

He remembered the day he met his precious younger brother…

“Hyesung, meet Junjin your brother.”

“Hello baby Jinnie, from now on I’ll be your mommy bird Shin Hyesung.”

The day he met Junjin friends and they became the perfect six…

“Hyung! Andy and I are with someone older. They are my friends, they have the same age as you.”

“Oh! Hello. I’m Jinnie’s older brother, Shin Hyesung.”

And last but definitely not the least, the day that they became… closer…

“Eric? What are you doing?”

“Can’t you see? I’m studying.”

“Oh... so you’re studying on How to Become a Good Mom?”

Hyesung can’t help but smile from those memories. Then, a single tear trickle down to his bloody cheeks when he realized something. He starts to wonder if him leaving their shared apartment will be their last memory together.

He really hope that it isn’t. He wants to see Eric again. He tried remember every inch of him. His broad shoulders, his puppy eyes that he loves so much and his voice.

“E-Eric… Eric-ah p-please come back.” Another trail of tears start falling from his eyes as those words escape from his mouth. With heavy eyelids and shortness of breath, he still managed to call the name of the person he truly loves before he loses consciousness.

 

A/N: Hello guys, it’s been a while… how are you? I haven’t updated for weeks, I got a lot of things to do. 미안 미안~

But you know what, when I was writing this chapter I was like… ‘why does it took me a lot of time to finish typing this chapter?’ then that was the moment I realized that this chapter is loooong (haha)

Supposedly, it is just a short chapter but then for some unknown reason it was stretched! 😅 Just think that it is to make up for the weeks I didn’t update LOL.

I’m also taking this opportunity to say…

*The lyrics of ‘Come Closer’ I just get that from a YouTube lyric video made by crystalis0324

*You know what amazed me the most, the lyrics of Shinhwa’s New Me and Shin Hyesung’s Come Closer are like two people talking to each other. It’s already part of my original plan to include the two song title in the story. But to my surprise the lyrics fits perfectly.

 

Imagine in Chapter 5, Eric asked: Do you remember the street we walked on together?

And in this chapter Hyesung replied: I'm now walking by myself on the road that we walked side by side (to think in Chapter 5 I wrote about them walking holding hands. Just imagine they are talking about the same place haha)

 

(New Me): You probably hated me for leaving

(Come Closer): You who left come to me

(New Me): Forgive me, I was wrong

(Come Closer): I can still love you like back then

 

(New Me): It’s okay if you come to me slowly

(Come Closer): Slowly come a little closer to me

 

*In this chapter, you can observe that Hyesung is still unaware to the fact that the love he was desperately hoping for was finally reciprocated. (Well, of course since no one told him yet.)

*The lines “It’s a good thing that you waited for me. Although, I think that it’s good to have a night walk once in a while.” and “Jinnie, he will… he might… learn to love me.” are both from Chapter 2. (I hope you guys could still remember it.)

*This part… “Eh hyung, it’s not ‘why did you call’ it’s ‘wae jeonhwa haesseo~’” Remember when Hyesung called Jinnie in a variety show then Jinnie sang out of nowhere. (I still find it so funny so I decided to include it)

*“Eric? What are you doing?”

Can’t you see? I’m studying.”

“Oh... so you’re studying on How to Become a Good Mom?”

The full story for this line will be covered on the next next chapter. (So look forward to it!)

*And guys... I miss Hyesung. Not the Hyesung in this story but the real Shin Hyesung ㅋㅋ

Okay, that’s it… Take care, Stay safe and Have a great day ahead. SEE YOU ON THE NEXT CHAPTER~