CHAPTER 7: UNDELIVERED MESSAGE TO YOU

When You Let Him Go

Eric was busy finding for the right clothes. He usually doesn’t care about what he wears but today... it’s different. He wants to make a good impression. He wants to look good and make his appearance more dignified. Because today is a special day... he will finally meet his friends.

Well, of course he doesn’t care if he just wear boxers or nothing at all in front of his friends. But the possibility of finally meeting Hyesung changes the whole scenario.

For the past two years, he could only get a few news about Hyesung. Maybe Minwoo was still sulky about him leaving the country that he only give him a bit of information.

All he know is that Hyesung finally established his own Event Planning business. As for his relationship status, Minwoo would always say...

***

“Hyesung? Tch. Don’t ever think about getting back with my friend. He’s already happy with his sugar mommy.”

As soon as Minwoo said those words, Eric could hear Dongwan’s Elmo laugh in the background. “Tell him he’s going out with a lot of men.” He heard Dongwan whisper from the other line.

“Oh yeah, he even go to the club and take different men or women home every single day.” Eric could hear the two men on the other line high fived.

“So don’t come back okay? We don’t miss you. Haha--”

Before Eric could say anything, Minwoo ended the call.

***

Eric was folding the cuff of his shirt when he heard a sound from his phone. He probably received a reply from Minwoo. Earlier this morning, Eric texted Minwoo that he finally arrived Korea and he wanted to meet ALL of them.

He walked to the table and grab his phone. He tried to guess what Minwoo replied. His friend would probably say ‘Oh you’re back? So what?’

If that will be Minwoo’s reply, Eric have another reason to meet them. He will say that he needs his car back. When Eric went to America, he leave his car to Minwoo’s care.

He unlocked his phone and read the message. Although it was the reply that he wanted, he suddenly felt odd.

‘Okay, I’ll tell the other guys. We have to tell you something.’

No signs that he was joking or sulking. And it feels like it is a very serious matter.

After much preparations, Eric finally head outside to walk to the restaurant where he made some reservations. He walked not just because it was near but also to look around the area. Also, who knows if he will meet someone as he walk around the streets.

And he’s right! When he was near from the restaurant he saw a small man with a fashion sense that stands out into the crowd. Eric smiled before calling the man. “Minbong-ah”

After hearing a his nickname coming from a familiar voice, Minwoo turned around and saw Eric running towards him.

“Eric.” Before Minwoo could move, his friend was already hugging him. It was a touching reunion between friends--- nahh the right word for that is brothers.

Minwoo pulled out from the hug. “Eric, I have to tell you something... I couldn’t tell you while you’re still in America because we don’t want you to worry. That was the time when you told me you will come back so we decided to tell you personally... okay... no wait... but before that—” Minwoo didn’t finish his sentence. He talked as if he was in a hurry. As if he was finding the right words to say but ended up blabbering. Instead of finishing his sentence, Minwoo handed him a car key... Eric’s car key to be specific.

“Before I forgot, your car is right there.” Minwoo glanced the that was park at the side of the street before he continued. “We’ll tell you everything inside. Junjin and Andy is already at the restaurant.” They took a few steps before Minwoo stopped Eric. “And... I miss you bro.” The two friends hugged once again.

As soon as they entered the restaurant, Eric saw their two maknaes. The two of them also became aware of Eric’s presence. Although, the thing is... they have different reactions.

Andy smiled at Eric and waved at them. On the other hand, Junjin stood up furiously. With his hands fisted into a ball and his eyebrows furrowed at Minwoo.

“Hyung, I can’t believe you lied to me.” Junjin said to Minwoo feeling betrayed. Junjin starts complaining after Eric and Minwoo walked towards their table. “You just said we’ll just eat to have an energy to go there. You didn’t told me about this person.”

Junjin turned away from Eric. He doesn’t want to look at him in the eye. Eric understands. Junjin was always overprotective towards his older brother. He actually expected Junjin’s cold treatment towards him.

“Junjin! Can you just calm down first and let’s talk it out.” Minwoo was trying to calm Junjin but he kept on resisting to walk out.

Junjin rolled his eyes. “We have nothing to talk about. Let me get outta here—”

“Jinnie, I miss you... Please.” Eric grabbed Junjin’s arm before talking to him with a low voice and calm manner.

Junjin pulled his arm from Eric’s gentle grip. He was still angry but they were shocked how Junjin sit back on his chair like an obedient kid.

Andy even mouthed ‘Oooohhh’ before hugging Eric telling how much he miss his hyung.

They sit on the chair. Eric and Minwoo are sitting next to each other. In front of Eric is Andy and the two maknaes are sitting side by side.

Eric looked around the restaurant, hoping that they are still waiting for “someone”.

“Where’s Dongwan?” Eric asked as an excused, though half of him was indeed curious of his friends whereabout.

“Uhm...He is with Hyesung hyung. “ Andy answered with a confused expression and looking at Minwoo.

Eric became sullen. So they are together now? He knew all along that Dongwan have feelings for Hyesung before. Dongwan even threat him hundreds of times that he will take Hyesung if he broke his heart.

“Oh I see... So they ended up to be with each other.” He said with bitterness in his voice.

“What are you talking about? Dongwan is mine, okay?” Said Minwoo with his smug face on. “He is my boyfriend now.”

That’s right. How could he forget how Minwoo also have hots for Dongwan.

“So why...” Eric wasn’t able to catch what they were talking about.

“We have our own schedule of taking care of him. We agreed to take turns so that it won’t affect our job that much. I watched over him the other day, Jinnie’s schedule was yesterday, today is Dongwan hyung then tomorrow will be Minwoo hyung.” Andy explained but it only left Eric more confused than he ever was.

Taking care of... what?!

But before Eric could ask. Their food was served to their table.

Jinnie got teary eyed after looking at the food. “Sesame seeds... Ah I miss my Hyung.” He sighed before continuing, “I think I’ll buy him this food because it is literally drowning with sesame seeds and sesame oil. Who knows... right?”

So Hyesung still have a weird liking for sesame seeds and oil. Eric wanted to laugh reminiscing the past but the atmosphere suddenly became so heavy.

This had made Eric’s heart beat so fast. He suddenly became afraid that it’s a very serious matter. He was scared that something bad happened while he’s away.

“Guys... I haven’t told him yet.” Minwoo broke the silence.

Eric slammed his hands on the table feeling so agitated. “What do you want me to know? Taking care of whom? What happened? Tell me...” He voice was shaking and he need an explanation or words that would calm him down.

Andy looked at Junjin, thinking that he should be the one to explain everything. Meanwhile, Minwoo was oddly quiet. It seems like he doesn’t have the heart to let the words come out from his mouth. So Andy, was the one to speak up.

“It is about Hyesung-hyung. Last week... H-he...”

If only those words calmed him down. Because instead... His world crumbled. His vision starts to blur. Tears fall from his eyes. It’s like he was thrown into a vacuum. He was unable to hear anything nor scream at the top of his lungs. He was frozen in his seat and Andy’s words kept ringing in his ears.

The next thing he knew... He grabbed his car key that Minwoo gave him earlier. He ran outside the restaurant and went inside of his car. He brushed his hair then punched the steering wheel so hard.

“H-Hyesung... No... Please no...” He cried.

Then he stepped on the gas and accelerated to see Hyesung.

For two years, I’ve realized the three biggest regrets of my life. The first one is when I just let him go. Second is the fact that I realized my feelings too late. And lastly, is how I miss the chances to show how much I love him. All these regretful feelings turned into fear after knowing the possibility that I might lose him... forever.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...