CHAPTER 6: WISH YOU WERE HERE

When You Let Him Go

As soon as Eric turned around, he saw a familiar figure.

Eric was so surprised to see her. A beautiful woman carrying a baby in particular. He knows that he had finally moved on as he looked at the woman with genuine happiness.

The woman that he once loved... his ex girlfriend.

“Eunjung-ah” He calls for the woman.

The woman smiled a bit after recognizing Eric, then her smile slowly fades as she feel shy in front of the man.

“Long time no see.” Eric walked towards her and smiled.

The woman awkwardly smiled back. “Long time no see, Eric.”

It took a few moment of silence before the woman speaks once again. “Eric... I know it’s already in the past but I’ve been waiting for this chance. I really wanted to say sorry for leaving you before. For breaking up with you just like that, maybe you were shocked that I got married right away.”

“Eunjung-ah, it’s okay. Besides if it didn’t happened then you will not have this precious little angel.” Eric said genuinely while touching the cheeks of the baby.

“Thanks.” Eunjung smiled. “You’re right. We already happy together with the people we love. I have my family and... you with your pretty bestfriend.”

Pretty? Bestfriend? Eric got confused for a second. But he only have one person who fits that criteria.

“What’s his name again?” Eunjung puts her hand in her head, as if she was trying to remember something. “Ah right. Hyesung.”

Eric heart’s raced the moment he heard his name.

“I know that you will end up together.” Eunjung laughed. “Before, you were like ‘Hyesungie this’ or ‘Hyesungie that’. I had a hunch that you like your friend. I was angry that time but now I could just laugh it off.”

Eric’s went wide. Eunjung finds his reaction so funny that she had to point it out. “Don’t tell me you didn’t notice?”

Eric shook his head.

“I’m actually amazed that I’m not even shocked. I noticed that you could be so oblivious about everything. You were also ignorant of the fact that I’m jealous during that time. Also, I know you didn’t notice the fact that... I’m mad because it’s pretty obvious that your friend likes you.”

Eunjung smiled so genuinely at Eric. “My point here is... I was so jealous that time but I’m now rooting for the both of you.”

Eric nodded but still a bit confused. “Eunjung-ah... how—”

“How do I know about your relationship? Well, it’s unbelievable but the two of you actually stopped at the flower shop I’m working after we broke up.”

***

Hyesung and Eric went shopping in the mall. The both of them went out to buy some things in their apartment. Getting tired from walking around the mall, Hyesung stopped in front of a flower shop.

Coincidentally, it was the flower shop where Eric’s ex-girlfriend was currently working.

Eunjung stared for a moment when she saw a familiar pretty guy standing in front of their shop.

“Isn’t that Hyesung?”

In a few seconds, she hid near the counter when she saw Eric walking towards Hyesung.

Eunjung, didn’t wonder why they are together because she knows they are best friends until she overheard their conversation.

“Hey Eric... O-our anniversary is around the corner. You won’t ask me for the things I want?” Hyesung smiled expectantly. He doesn’t know what’s on his mind and why he said those things.

Eric looked at Hyesung but he didn’t say anything. Hyesung bit his lips and answered his own question. “I want to receive some roses.” He was blushing so hard.

The way Eric wasn’t saying anything made it more embarrassing for Hyesung. So he just shrugged it off to save face. “Forget about what I just said earlier.” Hyesung laughed awkwardly and continued. “Giving roses to a guy is weird right? Now that I’m thinking about it... it’s giving me some goosebumps.”

“Let’s just go home Eric-ah, I guess I’m just tired from walking around. Haha. Uhmm.” Hyesung scratched the back of his nape. Then started to walk again.

Eunjung saw how Eric stared at Hyesung then glanced the flowers in the shop before walking away.

“So they ended up together?” Eunjung whispered as she dust off her uniform after hiding in the counter. She can’t help but to feel happy for them. Although, she is unworthy to feel that way. For a person who just broke someone’s heart and leaving that person hanging in the air.

It’s been a year and half since she and Eric broke up. She already have found a new lover aka her childhood friend, so the only thing that she could ask for is her ex’s happiness.

Few days have passed, a typical day in the flower shop until Eunjung’s co-worker calls out her attention. 

“Eunjung-ah! Look at that handsome guy over there!” Her co-worker squealed.

Eunjung looked at the guy her co-worker was pointing, only made her shocked to see her ex boyfriend aka Eric. Her co-worker was ignorant of that fact that Eunjung knows the person she’s pointing. Besides, Eunjung worked at the shop after they broke up.

“You know, that man kept on looking from one shop to another. It seems like he was searching for something but still don’t know what is it. Seems like he’s finding a gift to his girlfriend ” Her co-worker continued.

“What makes you think that it is a gift for his girlfriend?” Eunjung asked.

“Because that man went here while you were outside. He asked for roses but unfortunately we ran out of it. I also told him that roses are in demand during this season, so he might not able to look for one. Plus it was already late. Other shops are already closed.” The co-worker explained.

Roses? Eunjung was confused why is her ex looking for roses at this late hour. Then she remembered what Hyesung said the other day. ‘I want to receive some roses.’

“Wait a minute. While I’m outside you said, but that’s one and a half hour ago.” Eunjung got confused.

“That’s right. He is roaming around, going from one shop to another. I've been eyeing him ever since he stopped over here. He looked so innocent, like a man in love.”

The co-worker cross her arms. “If I was his girlfriend I won’t care for any presents, I just want him to be by my side. For sure the girlfriend was waiting for him. My hunches are always right. It’s always ninety-nine percent accurate.”

Eunjung can’t help but be amazed by her co-worker. The one percent inaccuracy was the fact that Hyesung is a guy but on the other hand, he could be prettier than some other girls. ‘Ninety-nine percent accurate indeed’, she said to herself.

***

Eunjung was smiling while telling those things to Eric. Meanwhile, the handsome man in front of her was staring into an empty space. It seems like he’s also reminiscing everything.

Eric was actually shocked how his ex-girlfriend witnessed those things.

After their conversation, Eric went back to his apartment. He was dragging his feet on his way home. His ex girlfriend telling him things from the past made him miss Hyesung even more.

As soon as he opened the door, he could see an image of Hyesung.

Eric, you came home late. Your boss made you do a lot of things again?

He remembered Hyesung’s worried face every time he came home late. He sighed and glanced at the sofa. There he saw Hyesung with his apple hair sitting on a couch while pouting because he doesn’t know how to use the features of his phone.

It’s not working. Oh no did I just broke my phone? Eric do you have time? Huhuhu Help!

He went to the kitchen to drink a glass of water. Once again, he saw an image of Hyesung smiling at him. He has a flour on his face, the aftermath of struggling in the kitchen after cooking for Eric.

Come here Eric-ah! I’ve made you something. Oh no don’t worry I didn’t drown it with sesame oil this time.

It’s just ironic that Hyesung always cook for Eric while they were living together when he is the chef between them. Hyesung doesn’t mind though. He always like taking care of Eric.

Eric walked towards the bedroom. Suddenly feeling drained for various reasons. He flopped his body into the bed then stared into an empty space. He remembered the day of their anniversary with Hyesung. That same day his ex girlfriend mentioned earlier.

***

Eric went home after walking around the mall. He can’t find a gift for Hyesung. He failed to buy roses that the pretty man wanted. He knows that Hyesung wasn’t really joking when he said that, he meant it. Unfortunately, he ended up going home empty-handed. Like a fool he is.

As soon as he entered the apartment, he was greeted by a strong smell of burnt chocolate. The smell is stronger in the kitchen. He wondered if Hyesung baked something.

He looked around but he couldn’t see Hyesung. He is probably sleeping right now.

Eric went straight to the bedroom. He was right. The pretty man was already sleeping soundly in the bed. He walked towards him and sit at the corner of the bed.

Eric lightly brush the hair of the sleeping man. He leaned forward to kiss his nose. This have made Hyesung moved slowly and cutely scrunch his nose. Soon, he slowly opened his eyes and adjusted to the light.

“Eric?” He asked. “You just got home?”

Eric nodded.

“You came home late. You worked overtime?” Hyesung yawned. “I’ve cooked something for you. Wait, I’ll reheat it.” Hyesung was about to sit up but Eric stopped him.

“No it’s okay. Let’s just... sleep.”

Hyesung nodded and moved a bit to give a space for Eric.

***

He love him. Even before. He have all of the chances in the past to show how much he love the other man but he didn’t. He miss all of his chances like an idiot.

Maybe a part of him was scared to love again. Maybe it’s because he still have a trauma from his past relationship. Maybe he cherish their friendship so much that he doesn’t want to lose him... in the end it still happened. Because of his foolishness and illogical thinking, he still lose him.

Now he wants him back. He was determined to do everything to have him back in his arms. But... If ever that Hyesung already have someone he loves, just like what happened in his dream then he would just be happy for him and take it as his punishment. His punishment for taking everything for granted.

Eric turned to his side. The side of the bed where Hyesung used to occupy. There he saw the pretty man staring at him. He stretches his arms and was about to touch Hyesung’s face with the back of his hands but the image of Hyesung is slowly fading away.

His hands landed on the empty space of the bed.

“Wish you were here... Hyesungie.”

 

 

A/N: I made this chapter to give a closure with his ex girlfriend and also to show Eric’s side of the story during their anniversary. If you could still remember when Hyesung said to Jinnie in one of the previous chapters that all they did was sleep because Eric worked ‘overtime’.

Roses because it reminds me of ‘100 roses incident’

Okay, that’s it... (for a boring chapter haha)

Let me give you a teaser for a bit XD

*ehem ehem

TEASER FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER:

Eric will set up to meet Minwoo and their other friends. Their circle of friends which includes Hyesung. The question is... will Hyesung appear in their meet up? If so, what will be their reaction?

TO BE CONTINUED. SEE YAH~