CHAPTER 10: THE DAY WE FIRST MET

When You Let Him Go

(30 minutes before Junjin went into the hospital)

Eric brushed off the bangs that covers Hyesung’s forehead with his fingers. “Wake up now , Hyesungie. It’s already 10:00 in the morning.” Tears start to form from his eyes when he remembered, “You always nag at me when I am still sleeping during this hour. You said that I sleep like a bear.”

He sits on the chair beside the hospital bed then stares at the pretty man beside him. He held his silk-like hands. “Dongwan is right, you are a sleeping beauty.” His heart ached once again as he continued, “But I ain’t a prince charming, I am just a wicked beast who broke your heart.”

All of the guilty feelings and regrets are coming back to Eric. He wants to hit himself, slam his head to wall or anything that would punish himself. But somehow, staring at Hyesung’s face calms him down. As if his sleeping face was assuring him that everything will be alright. That everything could go back to the way it was before.

Eric starts to examine every inch of Hyesung’s face. He is memorizing every bits of those loving long lashes, kissable lips, precious little nose and his milky skin. He had to admit that his heart flutters at the sight. It was the same feeling when they first met. That beautiful pain in his chest made him remember the past.

He held Hyesung’s hand gently and placed it near his cheek, kissing it lightly from time to time.

“The first time I saw you... I thought you were an angel... “

They were in high school when they first met. It was in an old computer shop located at the corner of a street, only a few steps away from their school. That time, Junjin and Andy were in middle school while the other boys are in high school.

Just like any other school boys, they always race to the computer shop after dismissal and spend the remaining hours of the day to play games. They were young and carefree. They just enjoy their lives and didn’t mind about what the future may bring.

***

The five boys namely Eric, Minwoo, Dongwan, Junjin and Andy stopped playing after Junjin’s phone vibrates for the nth time.

“Hey, Jinnie who are you texting? Got a girlfriend?” The second to the oldest guy named Minwoo asked.

“No, it’s my brother” Junjin replied right away while his eyes still fixed at his phone.

Curious after hearing the word ‘brother’, Dongwan take a peep at Junjin’s phone. He read the name of Junjin’s brother. “His name is Shin Hyesung?”

“Yeah. Hyung’s name sounds so pretty right?” Andy was the one who replied instead of Junjin. It was pretty obvious that Andy have already met Junjin’s brother. Besides, Junjin and Andy were classmates ever since they were young.

“Then why...”

“Our surnames were different? It’s because we are half siblings.” Junjin smiled. Then he laughs at the reply of his precious brother. “Okay, he will come and fetch me.”

“What is he? Your mom?” Minwoo asked suppressing a laughter.

With a serious face, Junjin replied. “Yeah. I call him my Mommy Bird.”

Eric scoffed and Dongwan laughs so hard when they heard the nickname. Andy eventually laughs along with them although it wasn’t his first time to hear their endearment.

“Hyesungiehyung calls him Baby Bird.” Andy added while his right hand pointing at Junjin and his left hand wiping the tears from his eyes. With that, the three older students laugh even harder.

“My brother takes care of me like he is the mother. Our parents passed away when we were young. We live in our Aunt’s place though.” Junjin started to open up to his Hyungs.

The three boys were taken a back from Junjin’s sudden confession. “Oh Jinnie we didn’t know that... sorry.” Minwoo hugged Junjin.

Junjin tapped Minwoo’s hands and said, “It’s okay, Hyung. Don’t worry.”

They became silent for a while until Kim Dongwan laughed once again and break the silence. “If your Mommy Bird... pffft... will go fetch you, shouldn’t you be hiding right now. ‘Cause that’s what kids typically do when mothers fetched them every time they play games in a computer shop at this late hour. ”

“Oh you have a point there hyung, but I want you guys to meet my brother. He is in the same age with you guys, for sure you will get along well.” Junjin said that while searching for something. “Uhmm... Guys, now that we’re talking about it. Can I borrow your jackets” Junjin asked and the older guys including Andy starts removing their jackets despite of their confusion.

As soon as Junjin took their jackets, he starts wearing it one by one.

“What are you doing?” Minwoo got curious as he saw Junjin stuffing some notebooks inside the layers of jackets.

“I need a shield! Hyung... Can you punch me for once?”

Minwoo raised a eyebrow but he hits Junjin like what he asked.

“Okay it doesn’t hurt. Assa!!!” Junjin laughs feeling proud at the effectiveness of his ‘shield’. He continued flexing his brother, “My brother is a pretty guy, he is even prettier than a girl sometimes.”

Eric laughed at Junjin’s words. He shook his head not believing what the younger student was saying. He’s only saying that because he is his brother. There’s no way that a man could be prettier than a girl. He thinks.

“Woah Eric hyung you don’t believe me? It’s true! He always receive flowers and chocolates. See... My bag is full of chocolates because my brother doesn’t like sweets. Andy and I always eat it.”

“Yeah Jinnie. I believe in you.” Eric reassured the younger student but the tone of his voice says otherwise. He doesn’t seem to be believing.

“Tch. See for yourself when you meet him later” Junjin clicks his tongue and continued being busy with what he is doing.

 

It only took a few minutes before Junjin talked once again. “Oh he’s here. Hyung!” Junjin smiled while waving his hand so cutely.

As soon as they heard Junjin, the three older brothers turn their head synchronously to the entrance of the coffee shop.

They were shocked to see Junjin’s older brother. Eric, in particular was almost slack jawed at the beauty that is walking towards their direction. It was like he’s in a romantic drama where he... slash the male character was awed by the female character. The world suddenly turned into slow motion. The person walking in front of them is glowing... and hair slowly fluttering by the wind the he doesn’t where it came from. Although, the only difference from typical romance movies is that the other person is a man... No, actually he is...

“An angel.” Eric unconsciously blurted out those words.

Junjin laughed and hit the oldest brother’s shoulder. “Ey hyung! Don’t tell me you fell in love at first sight with my brother.”

“What are you talking about?” Eric cleared his throat. He was shocked how Junjin heard him. “I’m a straight guy you know.” He murmured without looking at the younger student.

“Eyyy... I’ve met a lot of guys saying they are straight but ended up falling in love with my brother.” Junjin wriggled his eyebrows. “Among the three of you, I trust you the most for my brother. I think you are a type of person who will make my brother happy.”

Eric clicks his tongue then back to his own business... enumerating every positive adjective he knew to describe the ‘angel’ walking closer and closer towards them. He could hear Junjin’s voice but his mind was not able to process it, he’s too distracted.

“Hyung... Let me warn you a bit...”

Junjin’s brother is inching a little closer. He is smiling towards them while hugging two books.

“You know... Looks can be very deceiving—"

As if on cue, Eric saw how the pretty-gentle-innocent face instantly turned into a dark expression. That change in his expression only happened in a split second and it creepily sends shivers to his spine.

They saw how Junjin’s older brother raised the book he was holding so high then slammed it into Junjin’s back. It was so hard that it create a very loud thud. It must have hurt a lot! Eric, Minwoo and Dongwan who is seeing Junjin’s older brother for the first time thought it was already a shocking scene until...

“You ****** brat. Let me beat you for once you f***** little sh**!” The three older students were shocked to hear juicy curses from someone who has a beautiful voice and gentle face.

Now they knew why Junjin was making his own ‘shield’ earlier. Although, they believe it was actually pretty useless as they heard Junjin’s cry.

“Aw hyung! I’m sorry oka—Ouch! Huhu Hyung... Oh no! Not the face... Not your precious brother’s handsome face… Aww!” Junjin screams and wince in pain while feeling betrayed by the ‘shield’ he made earlier. His brother is so strong that his hits penetrated his layers of protection. Take note... the books his brother use to hit him are hard bound. He even tried to act cute in front of his brother but to no avail. His brother continued nagging at him.

The four students was frozen and unable to do anything. No matter how much they wanted to save Junjin, they were also scared to get hit. Junjin’s older brother is indeed scary.

“You should’ve gone home early and at least do some household chores while I’m still working at the library!” Hyesung was hitting his brother nonstop.

Even though the two siblings were living with their Aunt. Hyesung knows that they shouldn’t fully depend on anyone. So he took his responsibility as the older brother to apply for scholarships and work as a student assistant in the library of their school.

“And please... Stop making me worry Jinnie. It’s already late and dark outside. You know how much it’s dangerous to walk home during this time.” Hyesung sighs with his face turned red with furry. “For f***’s sake you even brought Andy with you. Two minors in a computer shop... I would be less worried if only the two of you are with someone older—”

“Hyung! Let me explain…” Junjin points at the three older hyungs. “Andy and I are with someone older. They are my friends, they have the same age as you.”

It seems like those words calmed Hyesung down. His hands with the book stops midair. Just like what happened earlier, his expression changed within a split second and he’s back with his bubbly ‘persona’. The dark aura he emittingearlier is gone and he starts glowing once again in Eric’s eyes.

“Oh! Hello. I’m Jinnie’s older brother, Shin Hyesung.”Hyesung bowed down and flashed his adorable smile that would make anyone wonder who is the scary person they saw earlier.

Minwoo and Dongwan synchronously waved their hand back with a hint of fear plastered on their faces. Both smiled awkwardly while introducing themselves.

“And this is Eric hyung my brother-in-law.” Junjin introduced Eric with a sheepish smile. This had made Eric cough and Hyesung gave a what-the-f-are-you-talking-about glare at his younger brother.

Jinnie kiss the cheeks of his brother “I’m just joking Hyung” hug him and acts so adorable like nothing happened.

They understand Jinnie could be a mischievous kid sometimes but tends to be very sweet to everyone most especially to his older brother. His brother is the same. Somehow Eric felt a bit jealous of the siblings’ cute relationship. But not only intrigued by the two siblings. Particularly, he was suddenly interested to befriend the older brother.

And that is his mission in the following days and weeks…

 

“Eric? What are you doing?”Hyesung asked as soon as he noticed the man he just met few days ago.

“Can’t you see? I’m studying.” Eric answered as matter of fact.

“Oh... so you’re studying on How to Become a Good Mom?” The pretty man snorts at the end of his sentence.

“What?” Eric looks at the book that he just randomly picked in one of the bookshelves as he was panickingto see Hyesung walking towards his direction. The title of the book is “Good Mom’s Diary: Early Pregnancy and Child Rearing Tips”

Eric lets out an inaudible “Aish” but then he tried to gather all of his confidence. “Of course, I’m a curious person.” He put his fingers to his chin and strikes an I-am-an-intellectual-guy pose before quoting, “Confucius once said, ‘Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance.”

Eric was proud that he memorized the quote written outside their library. How he memorized that quote was purely accidental. It was because he spent 25 minutes deliberating with himself whether he will enter the library or not.

You cannot blame him though. Besides, in his whole three years studying in the school, this will be his first time entering the library. The funny thing here is, his reason for going to the library is not to study but to get close with his new found ‘friend’.

“Besides Hyesung-ah... It’s not because you are a guy you will never read about this kind of book.” Eric continued. He thinks that he must add something to make his excuses be more persuasive. “I think you have to prevent yourself from having double standards Hyesung-ah.” Eric ended his speech with a smug face. ‘I’m so smart’. He even said that at the back of his mind.

Hyesung raised his hands in the air while saying, “Woah chill I’m not implying anything here.” He looks around the he continued. “It’s just that while working here, I’m already familiar to the students who visit the library... I’m quite shocked because it’s my first time to see you here.”

Eric gulped and replied at the back of his mind, ‘Because it is really my first time to set foot in this place’. It is as historical as the humanity’s first landing on the moon.

“Anyway, just came to say ‘Hi’” Hyesung laughs while waving his hands awkwardly. “I have to collate some records there.” He pointed a room few steps away from them. “Bye for now.”

Eric panicked when Hyesung turned back and starts walking away from him. ‘Oh no, my purpose of going here will be ruined.’ He whispered to himself.

“Ah wait Hyesung!” Eric hurriedly stood up and reached for Hyesung’s wrist before he would walk any further, it made the pretty man face towards his direction once again. “A-are you free this afternoon?”

“Hmm?” Hyesung even tilted his head to the side like a confused puppy.

“I mean... Can I walk you home?”

“Eh?” Hyesung almost gasped at the question.

“What actually mean is... Jinnie...” Eric snapped his fingers after thinking of a good reason.“Oh yes Jinnie! You know I already miss him so much. He rarely went to the computer shop after the ‘incident’ and now I miss him. I wanted to visit his house but...” Eric scratch his nape before continuing. “I don’t know where he lives. Maybe if you... Uhm... You know...”

“Oh you want visit my Jinnie? It’s alright then, he miss you too. Wait for me here after my shift and I’ll accompany you later.”

Eric smiled. ‘Mission accomplished’ he thinks. However, it seems like he wants to converse more with the pretty man. “By the way, you look so pretty when you smile” It took a millisecond for him to realize what he just said so he stupidly utter a loud “Eh?”

Hyesung have the sameawkward expression as him but then he replied, “Eh? Uhmm... Thanks?” Then he immediately turned his back from the handsome man,trying hard to hide his blush. He walks briskly and heads to the room he pointed a while ago with his hands on his face, thinking that it would help from cooling his burning cheeks.

That day he and Hyesung walks home together. They had small talks and exchange some awkward smile. However, because of it that they are be able to get to know more from each other. They found out that they have different personalities but at the same time they were alike. They have the same hobbies. Both of them are interested to fishing and playing starcraft.

After that day, they became instantly close and they hang out with each other more than their other friends. They enjoy each other’s company. Although, there is something weird with Eric that he cannot explainmost especially when it’s just the two of them together. How he felt something weird going inside of stomach every time Hyesung will flash his adorable smile in front of him or the pretty guy will sit so close to him that he was able to take a whiff of his scent, his sweet vanilla scent.

Eric had a hunch with what he was feeling but he doesn’t want to admit it. There is no way he is attracted with a guy, he is straight.

‘I’ve met a lot of guys saying they are straight but ended up falling in love with my brother.’

Junjin’s words starts playing on his head. One things for sure, Junjin’sline about his brother isn’t helping at all. It only made Eric confused and worried.

When his body’s reaction towards Hyesung became unbearable for him to take, he started asking Dongwan to set him up for blind dates. He went out to date girls and that’s how he ended up meeting Eunjung, his long-term girlfriend. She became the center of his universe.Meanwhile, the tinge of affection he once felt for Hyesung was long gone and buried inside him.

***

Now, many years have past and how his heart was aching right now, he knew that all of those feelings came back and it hits him real hard.

Eric holds Hyesung’s hands tightly as he clears his throat, bringing out all efforts not to choke on his words.“The day when you wanted to break up. I really regret that day for letting you go. But as I went out drinking and not coming home for day. How I’ve heard you cry for many times and how you always hide your smile I can’t be selfish anymore and let you stay.”

As he stares at Hyesung who is unconsciously lying beside him, he remembered everything in the past. How they are so happy when they were younger. How did everything ended up like this?

“For two years I took the time to heal myself. I want to be whole again and mend every broken pieces of my heart. So that I could love you wholeheartedly” Tears starts to fall from his eyes. His voice starts to sound so desperate. Eager for Hyesung to hear his heart out.

“I know it’s too late and I feel so ashamed to tell you but I really want to be with you again. I’m such a selfish bastard, aren’t I?” He forced a smile but his tears betrayed him. He kissed the back of Hyesung’shand and rubbed his tear stained cheeks beside it.

“For two long years I tried to find myself. So I did. I found myself… I found myself longing for your touch, wanting to see your pretty smiles and looking for your love... I’m sorry.” Eric started choking on own his tears. “Hyesungie… please wake up… I’m begging you. Please.”

His desperate cries starts echoing into the whole room. If only his message would be heard by the patient beside him. “I miss you so much. So please wake up. I love you so much. I really do.”

After saying those words, Eric he for a moment when he felt a slight movement from Hyesung’s hand that currently placed near Eric’s cheek. Did he just received a response?

He freezes a bit to make sure that he wasn’t just imagining things but then hefelt it once again. He doesn’t know if he was daydreaming or not but he felt Hyesung’s thumb brushed his cheeks, as if the pretty man was wiping off his tears.

“Hyesung-ah”

Eric stare at the Hyesung intently and right in from of him, he saw how the patient was slowly starting to open his eyes.

“Hyesung!” He kissed his hand one more time before standing up to call for a doctor.

Hi Guys! New update!

I’m really sorry that the time interval from the previous chapter and this one is 30 minutes but it took me more than a month to update ()

So yeah, Eric tells him about when they first met and finally got a response! The question is… what will happen after Hyesung woke up? Will Eric be able to say all he wanted to for the past two years? If so, will they have a happy ending in this story?

That is what we are going to look forward in the next chapter.

I hope you guys would still continue reading this story even with the sloooow update hihi.

HAVE A NICE DAY AHEAD AND SEE YOU ON THE NEXT CHAPTER~