CHAPTER 1: YOUR WEDDING

When You Let Him Go

“Eric-ah! What can you say? Does it look good on me?” Hyesung asked the person in front of him after coming out of the fitting room.

Eric just looked away uninterested, not even hiding his annoyed expression . He really hates shopping. Most especially when Hyesung have to go from one store to another just to find some clothes.

“Wow! Sir you look so handsome. Just like a Prince.” It seems like the sales lady beside Hyesung noticed Eric’s rude attitude so she just did her job of making her customers satisfied.

“I’ll get it then.” Hyesung smiled to the lady though sadness was clearly seen into his eyes.

Just after Hyesung said those words, Eric started walking outside the store. Having the feeling that he should also hurry, he hands his card to the cashier.

“So rude.” The cashier uttered while creasing her eyebrows and looking at Eric’s direction. Then she suddenly realised what she said. “I’m sorry Sir.” She apologised to Hyesung.

“No, it’s okay. “ said Hyesung while waving his hands to the lady.

“Is he your boyfriend? “ She asked out of curiousity.

Somewhat... Kinda... It’s actually complicated but Hyesung answered...“Yes.”

“Tsk.” The lady clicks her tongue. “He doesn’t deserve someone like you.”

Hyesung laughs so fake. Feeling hurt from the sales lady’s comment. “Nah. He is actually a good person. He is just not in the mood. “ Hyesung defending his so-called boyfriend.

The sales lady just smiled at him then hands the polo he bought after putting it inside of the paper bag.

Hyesung smiled then left the store. What he said was true though. Eric was just not in the mood. Hyesung said at the back of his mind... more like he said that to himself.

He’s been like that for a month now after knowing the news about that his ex-girlfriend is getting married. Ever since that day, Eric became too cold. He easily lose his patience towards Hyesung and always show that he is uninterested every time they are together.

“Eric-ah~” He calls for his lover who is standing outside the store, staring into an empty space. He waves at him and showing his most adorable smile, only leaving him to receive a cold response. Eric just glanced at him then starts walking so briskly.

“Eric wait for me.” Hyesung said while catching up to Eric’s pacing.

Eric is just not in the mood. Hyesung repeats himself. Thinking that chanting it over and over will at least make him feel better.

Especially today. He added. It is because today is the wedding day of his ex-girlfriend. Also the reason why Hyesung forced Eric to go outside. He can’t let him stay in the house and wait for some updates in the SNS about the wedding. He will never let Eric to be broken-hearted by it. Although, honestly Hyesung is the one who is deeply hurting.

That’s right. They have been lovers for a year now but Hyesung is well-aware to the fact that Eric is still madly in love with his ex-girlfriend.

As they were walking side by side, Hyesung is staring at Eric’s hand. He wanted to hold that hand so bad and interlock their fingers as they walk outside of the mall. It didn’t happen though. Hyesung wants to give Eric a space to clear his thoughts.

Hyesung and Eric are best friends turned lovers. When Eric broke up with his ex-girlfriend Hyesung stayed by his side. For Eric it was just his best friend comforting him and listening to his stories. In reality, it was Hyesung staying beside the person he love so much and wanting to scream ‘stop crying and look at me instead.’ Hyesung have been experiencing this unrequited love for his best friend many years already.

Then one day, the both of them got drunk. With Hyesung’s mind being clouded, he finally confessed his feelings to Eric. The next thing they knew, they found themselves caressing one another while lying on the bed... .

That’s how they became lovers. If only they would be considered as ‘lovers’. Because even though they are living together, Hyesung knows that something’s missing. It seems like his love is still unreciprocated.

Does he even love me? He asked himself when he heard a loud honking of a car. He gasped as he put his right hand to chest from the shock.

He turned towards where the noise came from. Only to find out that it was Eric, who is already inside of the car. Hyesung was so deep in his thoughts that he didn’t realised they were already at the parking lot.

“Ah sorry.” He said with panic in his voice and hurriedly went inside the car.

Eric was already driving to their home. Hyesung thinks that it’s not good. It will ruin their purpose of going out. He must think of something.

“Eric-ah~” Hyesung clear his throat before continuing. “We are already outside, can we go to the Namsan tower?” Hyesung asked but there was no reply, only a deafening silence.

He continued, “You know... it’s been a while since the last time we go there. I was just want to take a walk and—”

“Aren’t you tired from walking around the mall?” Eric cuts his sentence. Not even hiding his annoyance with the tone of his voice.

Hyesung stayed silent for a while. This is bad. He thought. He cannot think for another way to convince him.

“Eric~ Please. Pleaaaase.” He was already pouting and begging like a child. As if he is a kid whining to his mom to buy him a toy.

He actually wanted to kick himself for doing this kind of thing. But what can he do? This was already his last resort.

Hyesung got nervous when he saw how the man beside him grip the steering wheel even tighter. Eric’s hands even got pale from the grip. Okay, I’ve made him mad again.

Hyesung bit his lip and about say he’s sorry but then his face instantly light up when he noticed that they are already heading to the Namsan Tower.

He can’t help but smile. Atleast my aegyo still works for him. He bit his lips to hide his happy expression from Eric’s defeat. “Thanks.” He mumbled.

Few minutes later, they already got out of the car and start heading to the top of the tower. Hyesung can’t help but stare at Eric’s hand. Once again, he was deliberating with himself whether to hold that hand or not.

He was taken aback when Eric stared at him and followed his gaze. Eric found out that he was looking at his hands all the time. The next thing that Eric did was to put his hands inside his pocket. This had caused Hyesung to clear his throat and look somewhere else.

Hyesung knows that the guy beside him is already judging him. Is it a crime for wanting to hold hands? Ahhh that was so embarrassing.

“I... I’ll go get some drink. You... You s-stay here.” Hyesung said while stuttering. He wants to run away from this awkward situation.

 

Few minutes have passed and Hyesung haven’t returned yet. Eric stared at his wrist watch annoyed. He was already getting impatient but half of him starts to get worried. What if Hyesung got lost on his way? Eric was well-aware to the fact that Hyesung could be clumsy sometimes.

He was about to walk around and start looking for Hyesung when he finally saw a familiar slender figure running towards him.

“Haah. Sorry there’s so many people around and I almost got lost.” Hyesung said while catching his breath. Eric figured that he was right, he got lost.

“Oh... here’s your... drink.” Hyesung handed him a cold can of coffee while still panting.

Hyesung was still explaining when his ‘boyfriend’ starts walking again. He walks so fast that Hyesung can’t keep up. Eric wants to reach the tower as soon as possible so that he can finally head home and relax.

He was briskly walking when he realised Hyesung was not beside him again.

He turned around then saw Hyesung from afar getting dragged by a crowd of people. Hyesung was so busy finding his way through the crowd. It’s like he was trapped in a maze with a lot of people bumping him. ‘Sorry’ he said when he bumped into a bulky man. Then he said sorry again to the woman who bumped him. All the things he could say is ‘Sorry’ and ‘Excuse Me’ even if it’s not his fault for bumping them.

Eric can’t take watching the sight in front of him. So he went back towards Hyesung and grabbed his hand, fishing him from the crowd. This have caused Hyesung to utter a loud ‘oh’.

Hyesung once again looked at their hands that is now holding each other. Eric glared at him but he only return it with an adorable smile before interlocking their fingers.

They were holding hands while walking side by side. Their shoulders were brushing each other as they reach the top of the tower.

They just walked here and there. They stared at the wonderful view in front of them from time to time. Hyesung wanted the both of them to take a selfie but Eric hardly refused.

They reached the famous "Padlock of Love" . Still holding hands, Hyesung reached for his pocket with his free hand. “Eric-ah, look what I’ve found.” He showed Eric the padlock he bought earlier. It’s the reason why he almost got lost and went back late after buying iced coffee. The padlock have their name engraved on it.

As soon as Hyesung showed the padlock to him, his mind was suddenly flooded by memories.

Memories of him with his ex-girlfriend to be exact. He remembered their dates, how they used walked around the tower during weekends. How they joyfully put the lock together and made promise for a lifetime. How they kissed on top of the tower as if there were only the two of them in the world.

Eric let go of Hyesung’s hand harshly. “What are you doing?” He asked Hyesung in an angry tone. “Are you making fun of me?”

Hyesung was confused and before he could utter a word Eric continued.

“Stop that Shin Hyesung! Didn’t I tell you before? Oh. Maybe you forgot... so let me tell you that again. We also put some lock somewhere here. I just forgot where... just like how she easily forget about me.” Eric gaze was so scary and it is piercing Hyesung’s heart.

“So how dare you show me that stupid thing.” Eric points at the padlock at Hyesung’s hand. The padlock... that was supposed to be a symbol of love was only viewed as an eyesore for the other guy.

Hyesung turned his face to the ground. He didn’t expect that the outcome would be like this. He didn’t like seeing Eric this angry. They should’ve just head home earlier rather than making Eric remember his past.

“But happened now? Tell me Hyesung why she is now marrying another man? How could she just leave me as if that seven long years of being together is just a joke? Why—”

“Why are you with a loser like me instead of her?” Hyesung continued Eric’s line. “Is that what you are trying to say, Eric?” Hyesung looks at him with those sad eyes and tear stained cheeks. He continued, “That you would rather choose to see me with another person than to accept the fact of your ex-girlfriend a marrying another man.”

Eric’s eyes went wide when he saw Hyesung crying. He regret what he just did. He shouldn’t let his emotions get out of the line and say what he shouldn’t say.

Eric wanted to wipe those tears from his eyes but he feels so ashamed of himself. How dare me after making him cry.

So, instead he just turned around then walked away. Making it worse, he just left Hyesung crying alone.

 

A/N: I planned to use Shin Hyesung’s solo and Shinhwa songs as chapter titles. Some chapter have the same message of the song but some aren't.