Their Separate Lives: Youngmin

My Dark Moon

A/N

 

            Valkirians age slower due to their powers. Their curse is that they die, the father going first followed by the mother 10 years after, when their firstborn reaches its 80th year. So there are no old people in the kingdom. Remember that 1 human year equals 5 Valkirian years so by the time the king dies would be Kwangmin’s 16th birthday and the queen on his 18th birthday. Valkirians are considered mature when they reach the age equivalent of 16.

 


 

First 15 years (1-3 years old equivalent)

           

            Youngmin as a baby is a behaved one. He rarely cries and that is when his diapers are full which is rare because he always gets new diapers every 3 hours. Though he didn’t show any affinity to the elements, he had shown great promise in controlling objects – making them float whenever he’s happy, making them invisible sometimes and transferring their location for example his crib with him inside giving headaches to his guardians and maids especially on his later years.

 

16th – 30th years (4–6 years old)

 

            He was ready to learn the language and was taught history and other subjects. He has been praised by many of his teachers for his fast learning. He was articulate and philosophical. Though it has been the case, he was shy and will not talk unless necessary. He was also taught etiquette and proper posture in which he dreaded to the following years.

 

31st – 45th years (7–9 years old)

 

            He was taught magic at each of the shrine of elements along with the other guardian candidates who are being trained as a guardian or royal phalanx when they fail in the trial of elements.

            In the shrine of flames, he befriended Donghyun. Their first meeting was not a good one. Because he has no affinity to the elements, his magic is weak. Donghyun was the best in the class and would always smirk at the prince’s work even though he was the prince and he could be thrown off the dungeons with a special barrier of course. But the prince never took it to heart but instead took it as a challenge to strive more. He did what he was having difficulty with successfully and looked at Donghyun.

 

            See that? I may be weak but I’m trying.  He said smirking to Donghyun.

 

            At that Donghyun smiled sincerely for the first time for the prince. They became inseparable and can be seen always with Donghyun tutoring the prince like a big bro to his small bro.

            In the shrine of wind, he met Hyunseong. As always it was awkward but this time around it was more awkward. They were partners but they never said a word to each other as Hyunseong was a weird one. But then outside the class, when the prince was going out exploring with Donghyun, he was so hot because it was noon. He was in the shade and tried to summon a wind but being weak it was no more than a soft short breeze. What he didn’t expect was a wind then enveloped them giving comfort from the harsh heat and like blew for them only. Donghyun knew it was magic and was giving weird looks to Youngmin who was shaking his head vigorously. Then they heard giggling that came from Hyunseong atop a tree. He went down like a sprite and bowed to the prince. He was playful and carefree like the wind that even Donghyun took a liking of him. That day they knew one of Hyunseong’s peculiarities – he likes to float since he’s a bit clumsy and he’s afraid of being injured by tripping.

            In the shrine of earth he met Jeongmin, the flirt king. He got his nickname for his avid love of skinship. Man or woman alike will never escape his flirting personality and when they became partners, Youngmin was immediately bombarded with it. Youngmin didn’t mind it nor reciprocated the feeling making Jeongmin like him more. He was the first one to reject his charms and that made Jeongmin more determined to make Youngmin fall for him. That in turn will cause him to fight with Donghyun whenever he’s around since he will smack the back Jeongmin’s head with Jeongmin retorting to Donghyun that he’s just jealous that he gets to touch Youngmin like that. They will continue to bicker until Hyunseong gets irritated (which is rare and only appears if they were really annoying) and takes their voice and gets them to beg for it. The cycle continued like that with many wondering why he has no one from the shrine of water. Though he liked everyone there he didn’t favor anyone particularly for them to be close enough like the other three.

 

46th- 60th years (10-12 years old)

 

            With their bodies a bit more mature, Youngmin started his military training of course with the three in tow. Since the three is already the best of the lot they were exempt from the teachings until they become guardians that until that time they can wait before learning the advanced magics. And since they were already expected to be the guardians, they were allowed to join Youngmin in his military exercises. Youngmin was trained in the ways of the sword. Hyunseong was in the bow. Jeongmin played in the spears, always getting an earful, while Donghyun in hand to hand combat since his magic is more useful in this battle style. The training was harsh with them getting to meet each other only during breaks. But they persevered because of what the head trainer said.

 

            In combat there are no royalty, no friend, no guardian and no enemy. There are only those who live and those who die. Those who live are the strong but not just physically strong but also mentally strong. You must analyze your abilities, your enemy’s abilities, your surroundings and how you can utilize it so you can win. These are the traits of the strong. Strong enough so that you can live and not die.  The head trainer said emotionlessly but seriously.

 

61st – Present (13-present)

 

            With the magic and combat abilities already covered, Youngmin’s focus was shifted to politics. He was taught the ways of the land like economy, security and health. He showed great promise especially in analytical problems so he was always sent as an overseer in construction. This gave him exposure to the populace who loved him that whatever project he took on would be finished majestically and much earlier than the expected time. Though he would still visit the shrines and barracks for training, Politics already have much of his time since that day is near. He was not looking forward to that day since it will be the day his father will start dying but it will come. Also another feeling bothers him especially whenever he had his birthday. It felt like a longing for someone and he didn’t know why he feels it. He was hiding in his special place looking at the moon when Donghyun flew out of the torch.

 

            Feeling that feel again?  He asked the young Prince when his figure appeared from the flames. Youngmin just nodded and a wind rushed past him.

            Don’ worry. You’ll know why later on.  Hyunseong said as he hugged the prince appearing out of nowhere. A figure started appearing out of the floor and hugged the other side of the prince.

            Yeah, for the time being let me comfort you.  Jeongmin said flirtingly earning another smack from Donghyun but ignored it as he heard Youngmin chuckling.

            Thanks.  Was all he said, but the others understood as they watched the night pass by looking at the moon.