The Twin’s Fate

My Dark Moon

 

 

            The King entered the queen’s chambers and was surprised that the shrine maidens are still inside. Lady Hyori came to meet him and immediately gave salutations.

            Good evening your majesty, the queen waits in her bed.  She said showing curtsy to the king. The king just nodded and immediately went to the veiled bed revealing a happy queen with two bundles of linen on her arms. He was confused at first because the physician didn’t say it was twins but ignored it and went to the side of the queen. The queen handed her the eldest prince.

            That’s the eldest.  The queen said as the King cooed the bundle in his arms.  He’s got your hair and nose.

            What’s his name?  The king asked his queen.

            I’ll name him Youngmin.  The queen replied.

            Sounds like my name but why add a min?  The king asked.

            Because this little one is Kwangmin.  The queen showed her the bundle in her arms. It has the same features with only the difference of hair color. The king was shocked but tried not to show it in front of his queen. He didn’t want to feel it but it disturbs him as he looked at the boy.  The Kwang from my Kwan, the Young from your Yeong, and the min signifying they are of same birth.  The queen told the king. The king just nodded and noticed Lady Hyori still in front of them.

            Do you want to tell us something Lady Hyori?  The King asked. Lady Hyori bowed.

            If I may, but I need to do something first with your permission.  She said head lowered.

          Then do so, I give you permission.  The King said and Lady Hyori snapped her fingers. The maidens locked the door and closed the curtains. After that they surrounded the bed in a circle and sat cross-legged facing outwards. An assistant gave Lady Hyori her bell staff – basically a staff with bells on top – and immediately after letting it shake twice, the chants started. The king felt uneasy about what’s happening but can do nothing but to trust Lady Hyori.

            Se! Sang! Vol! Le! Kar!  She said each word followed by a bell ring and as the last bell rang a white light engulfed them all momentarily letting the queen and king close their eyes. They soon opened it and looked around. The room is the same but the colors are different and although it was clear that the maiden’s are chanting they couldn’t hear it one bit.

            Where are we? Why can’t I hear their chanting?  The king asked Hyori.

            We are in the spirit world your highness.  Lady Hyori replied.

            Why are we here?

                We are here because what I will say must not be heard by others your highness. That’s why the maidens are here erecting a soul barrier which is impenetrable by many powers. What I will tell you will dictate the future course of the Kingdom of Valkir.  Lady Hyori explained.

            Go on.  The queen replied intrigued on what she will say.

           I assume you know the prophecy?  Lady Hyori asked both who nodded.

           The prophecy is now starting your highness.  She said as both the king and queen gasped in surprise. Then she recited the prophecy.

           

In a day it will unfold

When the young ones have become old

A future that will be foretold

Listen and behold!

 

When the god’s crane is caught

Double happiness will be brought

Both are fated to be taught

But one will come to naught

 

One has come to make

The other to unmake

Though different paths they’ll take

They will become one and correct the mistake

 

            Like it said it will happen in a day. Many generations have passed since the prophecy was revealed. The second part explains what kind of day the prophecy will begin.  She explained.

            What day is it then?  The queen asked her.

            It is today your highness.  This earned another gasps from the royalty.

                When the god’s crane is caught explains pregnancy. We have the belief that cranes bring us the child in our womb as gifts from the god’s. Double happiness will be brought explains that it will be twins. Both are fated to be taught means they are the princes.  She explained until then but her face grew solemn as if she cannot or hoped not to say the next words.

            The rest Hyori, we want to know.  The King said as Lady Hyori looked at them the queen nodding her approval.

            I’m sorry to have said this in such a day but the last part of the prophecy clearly indicates one of the two princes to bring destruction to Valkir though how they will become one I’m still not sure.  She said as she hung her head low. The king and queen looked hurt at the revelation.

            Who of the twins is the one Hyori?  The Queen asked.

            I’m afraid it’s Kwangmin your highness, the arancarr prince.  She said as the queen started to tear up. She had developed a special fondness for the boy that it broke her heart knowing the child’s fate.

          I wouldn’t ask you to forsake the boy but for the kingdom of Valkir, I hope you make a good choice.  She said as another light engulfed them. They returned to their world and the shrine maidens stopped chanting. Before they left Lady Hyori turned and said.  Exercise caution your majesty. It must be kept in utmost secrecy.  With that said she bowed and left the room. The king hugged the crying queen.

            I’ve reared him for nine months but I only get to hold him today. Will I ever see his grown up face?  The queen said crying.

            Hush my queen. You know what must be done. Rest assured it will not result in death.  The king said.

 

At the cave spring

 

            It will not result in death? I wonder how you will do that my king?  The woman in black said to the reflection in the water.  I guess that old hag told them about it when she erected that barrier. I guess they now know the twin’s fate. I wonder how the prophecy will play its cards.  She said as she watched the images in the water.