Seven: SUZY

Secrets of Attraction

My Love


"I'll keep that in mind, thanks," Joohyuk said before exiting.

I crossed my arms for warmth, watching him leave after his friend. I had the weird urge to follow and see what Broody Barista did in his free time. Running into him had been such an unexpected surprise in an otherwise meh kind of a night. The door closed with a clunk. I walked over to it, running my hand along the cold push bar - one swift motion and I'd be out. not that I really wanted to leave - the night had barely started. And this dress was far too fabulous to just roam the streets in, plus I still hadn't gotten any decent photos or slow-danced with Minho.

Why was I making a list of reasons to stay at the dance?

School dances always sounded better than they actually were. Why not call it what it really was: Friday night all dressed up trying to be something it wasn't. No matter how much balloon art filled the gym, it still boiled down to a room with blue padded walls, retracted basketball hoops, and the faint smell of rubber and Simple Green where we'd be slapping around a hockey puck in class on Monday. Seeing it as a romantic place was hard, even with the mood lighting.

Expect watching Stephanie and Jisoo - the building could have come crashing down around them and I doubt they'd have noticed. They really were that sickening couple - annoying and sweet and in their own world. I took a few pictures of them, then wandered deeper into the crowd, ignoring the disappointment that threatened to bring down my already precarious good mood. There was nothing that scuked more than searching for your date during a John Legend song. Where was Minho?

I made my way to the front of the gym to see if there were any interesting shots - I'd been wary of the dance assignment at first by realized it could be a great opportunity to build my portfolio. Photography was not my thing but my art teacher had said diverse portfolio showed that you weren't afraid to take risks. That what these art programs wanted to see most was your potential.

Earlier in the year, I'd taken some artsy shots between the spokes of a Ferris Wheel at the Union Founders Festival that had won a ribbon in the fall arts show. Granted, there wasn't much competition. I looked around for something out of the ordinary, anything I could see with a different perspective. As I brought the camera up to my face, Minho's smile appeared in the frame.

"Where have you been?" he asked, grabbing my hand and leading me to the dance floor.

"Minho," I said, taking quick little steps to keep up with him. "Slow down."

I adjusted the strap so the camera was to my back, like a purse - it had really become the clunkiest of accessories. We found an empty space in the center of the gym. He drew me close, hands sliding up my arms, his fingers tracing my shoulders and trailing down my back. I clasped my hands behind his neck, keeping my eyes on his.

"Where was I? Where were you?"

He leaned down.

"Let's just dance," he whispered, lips brushing my ear. My breath stopped. Maybe I was too quick to dismiss the dance, because his mouth on my skin made me forget we were even on planet Earth. I snuggled into him as he caressed my back and we swayed to the music.

For all of ten seconds.

Until the beat got fast, and VIXX echoed through the gym, sending up some loud whoops as the crowd got crazy again. A few of the teacher chaperones darted onto the dance floor as a precaution. Union was a no-grinding zone - but it didn't stop people from trying. Minho lifted his arms up in the air and rocked his hips, with the sort of fearlessness that canceled out the goofy moves. He moved closer to me, so serious, I had to laugh. I wondered if he'd practiced in a mirror.

"Come on," he said.

He screwed up his face like he was in pain and continued to dance around me. I finally relented until Miss Pyeong, the calculus teacher, gave us an I'm watching you glare and we parted. I took the moment to search the floor for Yoona or Stephanie but it was impossible to see anyone through the thick mass of bodies.

"I need some air," I yelled at Minho, and pointed out to the hallway. He led the way toward the door. Once outside the gym I felt cooler. Minho draped his arm over my shoulders as we walked down the hall.

"Have I told you how smoking you look?"

"Yes, twice, but you can keep telling me." I s my arm around his his and leaned into him.

"We should do something after this," he said.

"Like what?"

"Your couch, maybe?"

"This is not a couch dress."

"Who said you had to be wearing it?" He nuzzled my hair.

I stopped short. "Minho, really?"

"What?"

His brow bunched up in confusion. I wasn't sure why what he's said bothered me. Minho's prevy side normally made me swoony, especially the thought of bring skin to skin. Somehow, in the hallway of school, it pissed me off. Maybe it was from watching Stephanie and Jisoo slow-danced and realizing that it might not be so bad to have a main squeeze I kind of adored. Someone who would seek me out during a slow song instead of grinding against my leg. Not that wasn't fun. Why wasn't spending time with me in the dress enough for him? Couldn't he think of anything else for a moment? He brushed some hair away from my face.

"Suzy, what did I do?"

"Nothing."

"It's not just tonight, you know, you've been . . . weird lately. I feel like I'm always one step away from annoying the hell out of you."

He frowned, his eyes soft, uncertain, making me feel like such a hard-. How could he go from howling on the dance floor to this vulnerable mush in a few short minutes was part of the reason that whenever I thought about untangling myself from him, I couldn't. I couldn't stand this look being directed at em or thinking that I was the cause of it.

"No, you're not," I said, tugging on his tie.

He leaned down and I brushed my lips across his, getting lost in the heat of the kiss. This was where we were perfect, the lovely liquid place when our eyes were closed and our mouths touched. Was this how Stephanie felt with Jisoo on the  dance floor? My whole body relaxed as his arms surrounded me. We stepped back until I bumped the wall behind me; the cold tile made me tremble. Or maybe it was Minho and the way his tongue wrapped around mine.

You couldn't build a relationship with someone simply because you got off kissing them, I knew that, but it wasn't exactly a ty way to start.

The urgent click of heels in the hallway coming in our direction made us apart. Miss Pyeong walked by, smiling as she made her way to the cafeteria. I ran my thumb along the corner of Minho's mouth, to wipe off where my lipstick had smeared. He took my thumb in his mouth and nibbled before I pulled away, laughing.

"Why don't you help me with these pictures I'm supposed to take - it'll go faster, then we can just enjoy this thing. Sound like a plan?"

"Sure," he said. "What should I do?"

"Let me know if you see something interesting."

He lifted the strap over my head, and holding the camera at arm's length, but his cheek to mine and said, "Say whiskey," He held down the button show the camera clicked multiple times. A group of girls walked by us and giggled.

"Minho! You left without saying goodbye," a girl with long blond hair and a sparkly purple dress said.

"Hey, smile for the camera," he said. They pulled together, three of them hiking up their dresses to show some leg, and grinned.

"Got it! Official yearbook business," he said, which caused the purple girl to laugh a little too loud at him. She . . . was flirting. Minho looked back at me, goofy- smile on his face.

"What?"

"You left where without goodbye?"

"Oh, the caf -  Kyungnam and me were talking to them. They're sophomores - come to our indoor matches sometimes. Why? Jealous?"

I shook my head. "Nope."

Slight disappointment flashed across his face, but then he kissed me.

"Why don't you pass the camera around to different people, make your job easier," he said.

"Because it's, like, a 300,000 won camera, and it's my job, come on." I tried to get it from him but he held it out of reach.

"You said you wanted me to help you," he said. "Chill, trust me."

I swallowed a groan. I didn't want to chill or trust him. I just wanted the freaking camera. "Minho."

He wandered farther down the hall, stopping to take a picture of a statue of the Blessed Mother, which, considering he'd just had his tongue down my throat, seemed slightly inappropriate.

"Minho."

He was a good five feet ahead of me, when he stopped, looking down the annex hallway that led to the two newer classrooms in the building. His mouth opened slightly as he raised the camera to his face. "Cool."

"Please give it -" I said, then looked at what he'd deemed "cool."

It was pretty cool.

The hallway was decorated with bunches of pink and purple balloons. The ribbons trailed down into the hallway and were gathered with ties made of tulle; each bunch had a large rectangular card attached to it.

"Hey, um, babe," I cooed. "Could I have the camera, please?"

He handed it off to me and I went to work. When I got closer to the balloons. I stopped at one that read CHOICE and snapped a picture - trying to get different angles, looking up at the balloons, focusing on the word and the glow of the hallway. Another bunch had the word BOUNDLESS attached to it, another had the word UNSTOPPABLE. For dance decorations they were pretty esoteric. Minho followed behind. The last one had the word INSPIRE.

"You know how his dark hallway inspires me?" he whispered in my ear.

"Shh." I crouched down to get a more interesting perspective.

That's when we heard it.

A high-pitched sound, not exactly a squeak, more like a sigh. Minho's eyes grew wide and he grinned. There was breathing and a soft smacking noise. I froze, the sinking realization in the pit of my stomach that we had happened upon someone doing something in the small alcove of senior lockers that were now about two feet away. Minho shrunk back against the wall, sliding along it, doing his best impression of an undercover agent about to catch the criminal. I motioned for him to stop.

No, I mouthed.

He shrugged and kept moving. Whoever was in the alcove, ugh, I cringed at the thought of them being discovered. I coughed, loud. Purposeful. Minho put his hands up, like he was angry, but he smiled. Foiled.

I grabbed Minho's hand and we backed down the hallway, the balloon ribbons swaying in our wake. Once we were out in the main hall he spoke.

"Why'd you do that?"

"Would you really have wanted to surprise someone in the middle of something?" In the middle of what I wasn't sure, but I could use my imagination, and it was quite steamy.

"No. I don't know - you told me to look for interesting things," he said, raising his eyebrows.

"Fine. Let's stand here for a few minutes and see if they come out.

I might not have wanted to catch someone in the act of whatever, but I was curious to see who was enough to hook up in the senior alcove. We waited for a good five minutes. Techno echoed down the hallway - the band was back on. Finally a guy with a fine suit emerged. Alone.

His tie was loosened, part of his shirttail hanging out in back. He barely glanced in our direction as he tucked his shirt back in, then walked toward the gym. I looked at Minho and stifled a giggle, then we heard a telltale click of heels strolling down the hallway. I lifted the camera up to our faces, taking selfies like Minho had done, so we'd look inconspicuous, just there goofing off.

 We mugged a few times as the footsteps came closer. In my peripheral vision I saw a figure, heard the swish of a skirt. I saw the dress first, the A-line shape swaying with her movement.

"Yoona?"

Her eyes went from the camera to me, Minho's face, and then she looked down the hallway - her thought process in motion.

"That wasn't Kyungnam," Minho said.

✿ Secrets of Attraction ✿

The sight of Yoona emerging from a clandestine hookup necessitated an emergency confab in the bathroom. I'd dispatched Minho to find Stephanie while Yoona and I waited.

"Please tell me you did not get any pictures of that."

"Nope, no evidence," I said, crouch-walking along and peering under the bathroom stalls to make sure we were truly alone so we could get the dirt. 

Stephanie arrived, positively glowing. I felt a stab of envy that I wasn't having a better time; that I didn't feel the way about Minho that she did with Jisoo. Would I ever feel that way about anyone? Did I even want to? She did a quick  mirror check, running her hand through her hair, and came over.

"What happened?" she asked.

"Yoona happened," I said.

Yoona smiled and chuckled to herself.

"Huh?"

"Yoona hooked up with someone," I said.

"Not Kyungnam?"

"No," Yoona said. "Changwook."

Stephanie and I squealed and high-fived.

"So wait, what happened with Kyungnam?" Stephanie asked.

"And what about the other girl that came with Changwook?" I asked.

Yoona motioned for us to come closer. "The other day after the mall, I called Kyungnam to talk. I really felt bad about, you know, using him as a date for the dance."

I groaned.

"No, no, really, it was cool. Awkward at first, but then we talked and he said he was fine going as friends. Turns out the girl and Changwook just came as friends too - they're here with a group of people. We bumped into each other in the cafeteria, and talked and -"

"And you got friendly down the glowing hallway," I finished.

"Ooh, glowing hallway? Cool," Stephanie said.

"You did that?" I asked.

"Yeah, they were going to spread those out in the gym, and they looked so sad in such a big space so I thought, why not? People would be passing through the hall all night."

"Apparently," I said.

Two of the girls Minho had taken a picture of earlier walked into the bathroom. One was the girl in purple who had flirted with him. She gave me a sharp look before disappearing into the first stall.

"Did you just see that?" I whispered.

Stephanie nodded. "What's that about?"

"I don't even know who she is," I said.

"She was one of the girls that Kyungnam and Minho were talking to in the cafeteria before. She was pretty much hanging on Minho's every word. He wasn't doing anything, though - you know, just talking."

When he should have been dancing with me.

"He can talk to whoever he wants," I said, shrugging it off.

"So where did you leave it with Changwook?"

"Not really sure. We didn't do much talking." She smiled, pearly whites and all. Yoona was a fade-to-black girl so this was about the only detail we were going to get out of her. The boy must have been good.

"We exchanged numbers - but for now, I'm just enjoying this experiment like you told me to. We'll probably run this week too."

The sophomore in the purple dress came out of the stall to wash her hands.

"Come on, let's get out of here," I said, tossing my shoulders back. "We need to get a picture of our gorgeous selves so we can put it in the yearbook spread."

As the three of us left the bathroom I gave the Purple Girl a wave and a smile. No need to be y.

The rest of the night was a blur. I commissioned Jisoo to take a picture of me, Stephanie, and Yoona because I trusted his ability to click and shoot. Changwook asked Yoona to dance. I got some more artistic shots for the yearbook and ended the night with three full slow dances with Minho that more than made up for his ditching me earlier. We helped Stephanie with some of her Spirit Club clean-up duties before heading out. Kyungnam dropped off Yoona first then swung by my house.

Minho walked me up to the porch.

"You don't have to wait until I get in," I said.

"I want to."

I tugged on his coat to bring his lips to mine. As I was about to pull away, he deepened the kiss, both arms wrapped around me so tightly he lifted me off the ground.

"Whoa," I said, laughing as we parted.

"Suzy, I . . ." he said.

My stomach dropped. He had this earnest look about him, and I suddenly got the feeling that he was about to say something I wasn't prepared to deal with.

I stepped away from him, walking toward my stairs. "I had a great time, Minho. I'm happy we went."

"Wait," he said.

"I'm freezing," I said. "I really have to get in."

Don't say it. Don't say it.

He nodded. "Okay. I'll, um, call you, maybe we can do something after my game."

"Sounds great," I started up the stairs.

"Suzy?"

I turned, still holding on to the railing. He ran up to me, his lips brushing my cheeks as he brought his mouth to my ears. I shivered.

"I love you," he whispered.

He backed away before I could say anything, which I was grateful for, because I'd stopped breathing.

"Just, you know, think about it," he said, getting into the car.

Why did he have to go and ruin everything?

The yelling woke me up.

I rolled over and looked at clock. Ten a.m. I thought for a moment it could have been something on TV, but it was coming from downstairs, and we don't have the TV on the first floor. I sat up, rubbed the sleep from my eyes. Listened.

"How could you do this?"

Juhoon. Juhoon?

"Please stop yelling."

"Seonmi . . . why? Why would you keep something like this from me?"

I felt weird to eavesdrop, even though it wasn't like they were doing much to keep it down. My bedroom was directly above the dining room, so I hopped to standing, making sure they heard my footfall in case they were there. I took exaggerated steps toward the door, swung it open, and whistled as I walked into my bathroom. Silence. Juhoon had said something about making crepes for Saturday breakfast, but there were no delicious aromas wafting from the kitchen.

I padded downstairs to my slipper socks and jammies and rounded the corner to the dining room. It was empty. I looked toward the kitchen. Juhoon was leaning against the counter. The expression on his face was odd. Intense. His features hardened. When he looked over at me I startled.

"Hey," I said. A chair scratched across the linoleum and eomma appeared in the doorframe. She was in her yoga gear, flushed as if she'd just gotten back from a class.

"Suzy," she said, walking toward me. "Good morning."

She gave me a hug. I squeezed back. Not that my mom didn't hug me, but it was little out of sorts for first thing in the morning.

"What's up?" I asked as she pulled away. Something about the why they both looked freaked me out.

"Sleep well?"

"Like a baby," I lied. I'd tossed and turned all night thinking about Minho. I'd even turned off my phone for fear he'd want to text or talk, neither of which I was up for after what he'd said to me. I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do. He had told me to think about it. If I loved him - would this be how I reacted?

"Let's sit down." She gestured to the living room we rarely sat in, especially now that it had become her meditation spot. Dread s up my spine. She was acting odd, stiff. They both were. I perched on the couch. Juhoon sat in the wingback chair; eomma was next to me but on the far end of the couch.

"What's wrong?"

Eomma played with a phantom thread on her yoga pants, making small circles with her index finger.

"Seomi, please," Juhoon said.

"Suzy, you know how much I want to integrate yoga in my life, right?"

"Um, yeah," I said. Juhoon ran a hand across his face then fixed his eyes on me. I shifted in my seat.

"Well, it changes you, makes you reevaluate your life and your beliefs. And one of the first things you learn about is the principles of yoga."

"Eomma, what are you talking about?"

She took a deep breath and looked at me.

"Satya. Truth. It's about living an authentic life.

"Is this about Haein?"

It snapped her out of whatever yogi-wisdom trance she was headed into. Her face scrunched up. "No."

"Who's Haein?" Juhoon asked.

"Our instructor. Eomma, you're freaking me out, please just spill it," I said.

"I want you to understand, I've always done what I thought was right for us. And I knew there would come a time when, well, we'd have to face this at some point."

"Face what?"

"Oh hell, Seonmi." Juhoon stood up. "I'm your father, Suzy."

I repeated the words in my head while looking between them, waiting for more of an explanation. Eomma was on the edge of the couch, lips pressed together, her brows practically up in her hairline. Juhoon had his hands on his hips. I looked between them, unsure of what to say, letting the words sink in, trying hard to understand.

Jihoon is my father.

My eyes landed on the Laughing Buddha statue - his mouth frozen in a perpetual smile. A reminder of abundance. Of Minho with his shirt off. I started laughing, low at first, but then I couldn't help it and covered my mouth in a fit of silent giggles. I finally caught my breath.

"Yeah, right."

"Suzy, it's true," eomma said, reaching for my hands. I pulled away and moved from the couch.

"But he's been here. He's been in our lives forever. You . . . How . . . I don't understand. Did you know?" I looked at Juhoon, his eyes pained. He shook his head.

"Soo, you have to -"

"I don't have to do anything, Eomma."

I paced back and forth, my hands clutched together.

"I know you're -"

"Why would you do something like this?" I asked.

"Suzy," Juhoon said. "It's a lot to take in, I know, but we'll figure it out."

Did I have to listened to him now? Did his words carry more weight because he was my father?"

"I . . ." Words were meaningless. My mind could not wrap around what had just happened. The only thing I knew was that I didn't want to be with either of them at that moment. I ran up the stairs to my room and slammed the door.