The Mask

Enigma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song Ji Hyo’s eyes was wandering around the house and she was tiptoeing, not wanting anyone to realize her presence. It was around eleven at night and the house is getting quiet that Ji-Hyo took this chance to sneak into Jong-Kook’s study. It was such a relieve that Jong-Kook told her that he’s not coming back until tomorrow.

 

She knew that Kim Jong Kook has a secret room right behind his high book shelves. She turned around for another time to see if nobody is coming while her heart pace is beating rapidly. Taking a deep breath, Ji-Hyo dared herself to push the high shelves and there she found a big door which the entrance needs fingerprint to access.

 

Kim Jong Kook is not a stupid man and Ji-Hyo knows it well that she has prepared everything. Getting Jong-Kook’s fingerprint is not hard since she’s with him 24/7. She took out the fake finger with Jong-Kook’s fingerprint which is cast made from latex and surprisingly, the security system accepted the access and the door slides open.

 

“Welcome, Mr. Kim Jong Kook.”

 

The voice of Rigel made her startled for a while until she remembered that everything here is under the control of his virtual smart system. Her eyes wandered around and she’s surrounded by big screen which shows the periodic table of elements and molecules geometry. On the other side, there are sketches of the latest design of Airbus. She barely understands any of it or whatever experiments he’s doing.

 

Walking around that big room, surprisingly, she found another vault door which looked even more suspicious. Ji-Hyo used the same fake finger she used earlier but damn it, it needs iris detection as well that resulted in Ji-Hyo sighing sharply. She started to bit her finger and think about a way to open the damn vault door.

 

“Why the hell it won’t open.” She murmured as she kept on kicking the door although she knew that damn door won’t open unless she got the access.

 

It has been more than thirty minutes that Ji-Hyo wandered around and her eyes do not leave the door’s security system. Her head kept on thinking on a way to open it and it took her another ten minutes to realize that the chipset reads the data which contain the information of either fingerprints or iris recognition. She glanced at the door which only need fingerprints to access and there she got this idea which is to change the chipset.

 

 

Taking the screwdriver, she patiently working on swapping the chipsets and it’s definitely not her area of expertise that it took her almost an hour to succeed in swapping it. Ji-Hyo took the fake finger and placed it on the security system. She could finally sigh in relief when the light turned green.

 

Ji-Hyo rotated the round shaped handle and pull the heavy steel door with all of the forces she got. The lights are automatically as soon as the door opens. She once thought that she will find treasures since it’s guarded with a vault door but she’s wrong. Her eyes stopped blinking once she stepped into that room.

 

That room is spacious enough that it took her a brief moment to literally scan the whole room. What made her agape is about what the room stores.

 

“What on earth,” She mumbled and slowly closed with her palm. She was stunned and speechless that she barely moves at all.

 

The room is full of weapons you had ever believed possible. From handgun, shotgun, machine gun and to the deadliest weapon in history, maxim gun, it’s all stored here. She walked a few more steps and there she saw a board with pictures of dead corpse being posted there. Just what is this all about? The deceased people’s identities are all there which made her realize that the dead corpse are all missing people.

 

Perhaps? Did Kim Jong Kook killed all of these people? Is this the reason why he never wants to open up about himself? Because he’s a murderer?

 

This is insane. How is it possible for Kim Jong Kook to be a murderer?

 

It’s just that she’s way too drown in her own thoughts that she didn’t realize someone’s presence through that thick vault door.

 

“What are you doing here, Song Ji Hyo?” The baritone voice of a man echoed through that quiet room and that voice sounded cold which sends shiver down to her spine.

 

Ji-Hyo held her breath for a brief moment while gathering all of her guts to turn back to look at the owner of the voice.

 

“Sajangnim.” She was stunned and speechless at the same time to see Kim Jong Kook standing at the edge of the door with both his hands tucked in his pocket.

 

 

Several hours ago

 

Kim Jong Kook was seated in his car in front of the steering wheel for a brief moment as he’s lost in his own thoughts. The fact that he’s still speechless with the truth that he just found out and the fact that Song Ji Hyo is actually spying on him all this while. Sounds insane, isn’t it? How could he be such a fool?

 

He heaved an exaggerate sigh while he remembered her conversation on the phone earlier. He will never suspect anything if he never overheard that conversation.

 

**

 

Ji-Hyo walked out from Jong-Kook’s office while he slightly stomped her foot annoyed. She placed the goodie bag on the desk because she could feel the vibration coming from her phone. Her hands trembled straight away when she looked at the called.

 

Incoming call

Cha Seung Won

 

“Nappeun saekki.” She cursed through her gritted teeth and without looking at her surrounding, she walked straight to the emergency exit where she thought nobody could see her.

 

She took a deep breath before answering the call, “Yeoboseyo.”

 

“You are running out of time, Ji-Hyo ya. I hope you still remember that I can simply end this game right now.” Said Seung-Won, sounded angry and frustrated at the same time.

 

“I told you, Kim Jong Kook is one complicated man. You know it yourself.” She replied in the same frustration tone.

 

“I don’t care. It’s your job to solve it because you need me, Song Ji Hyo or I can just pull this trigger and everything ends but do you really want me to go that way? Do you really think Kim Jong Kook worth more than your parents?”

 

Ji-Hyo bit her lips hardly before replying, “Please give me more time.”

 

“It has been more than three months!” Seung-Won snapped loudly from the other side of the phone and continued, “It has exceeded the amount of time that I gave to you.”

 

Her breath started to become uneven and tears started to pool her eyes. She balled her hand into a tight fist, “I am almost there.” She said out of blue.

 

“What do you mean? I hate the word almost, Ji-Hyo yah.”

 

Taking another deep breath to calm herself down, she managed to answer, “Studying Kim Jong Kook and what it takes to destroy him. Please believe me that I am almost there. I will give whatever you want but please I need more time.”

 

She’s almost there because she thought that she succeeded in gaining his trust. However, little did she realize that Kim Jong Kook literally heard every single thing that she said to Cha Seung Won. Jong-Kook might not know what did Seung-Won said but he heard it clearly every single thing that she said.

 

He heard it clearly that she wanted to destroy him.

 

**

 

“Song Ji Hyo.” Jong-Kook gripped tightly onto the steering wheel and his jaw clenched tightly, as if he’s trying to release all of his anger. It’s more than just frustrating because it’s disappointing at the same time.

 

He glanced at dark ink sky and decided to go back home immediately. He felt that something is not right that he left Ji-Hyo alone at his house. He got to trust his instinct this time that he’s literally needs an explanation right now. A direct explanation which came from Song Ji Hyo’s lips.

 

However, there’s still a little space from his heart that refused to believe that Song Ji Hyo is involved in this ridiculous gam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter