Ugly Truth

Enigma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The dinner session has passed and the sky has gone dark. Jong-Kook sipped the warm chamomile tea that his mother brewed. He has always preferred a non-caffeine tea at night.

 

Min Jung Eun’s lips curled up upon looking at her marvelous son that she stood beside him.

 

“Eomma, wasseo?” Said Jong-Kook and put down the cup of tea.

 

Jung-Eun nodded her head, “I heard from Jae-Sang that you went to his place. What happened, a deul ah?”

 

A soft sigh escaped from Jong-Kook’s lips before replying his mother, “Everything is fine, eomma.”

 

Jung-Eun knew it so well that it’s a lie, “You went to see your father, didn’t you?”

 

Jong-Kook gave her a light nod, “He wanted me to inherit Grupo Salazar along with Ae-Ri.”

 

“Did you say yes?” Asked Jung-Eun.

 

Jung-Eun thought her son is going to said no but she’s wrong. “Ani. It would only be fair if Choi Ae Ri took over the Chairwoman seat one day. Her mother is the legitimate heir of that giant after all.” 

 

“I respect your decision for not wanting to fight over the succession but I think I need to remind that you are Choi Jong Hwan’s son, Jong-Kook ah.”

 

A light smirk was formed on Jong-Kook’s lips when he heard his mother mentioned that name. “I know, eomma but you know it well that the figure of a father will always be him.”

 

Jung-Eun slowly cupped her son’s bulging cheek gently, “We all do miss him, Jong-Kook ah but let eomma tell you that you are the best thing that ever happened to us and you drew the most beautiful color in our story.” She paused for a moment as she started to get emotional when she looked at his small eyes, “You prove to us that blood relation is not important. Eomma loves you so much, adeul ah.”

 

Jong-Kook erased his mother’s tears and smiled faintly, “I love you too, eomma.” He pulled Jung-Eun into his embrace and her words started to replay in his head. She’s right. Blood relation is not a determinant of how much a mother will love her children because he knew it better than anyone else that the woman who raised him loves him more than anything.

 

“The world just does not deserve an angel like you.” Jung-Eun added when she let go of her hug.

 

“I am never an angel, eomma.”

 

Jung-Eun shook her head slowly, “Eomma knows you the best, Jong-Kook ah. We know your true colors.”

 

Jong-Kook bit his own lips upon hearing what his mother said. When he opened his mouth to reply her, Jung-Eun is quick enough to speak again.

 

“Song Ji Hyo. I like her.” Jung-Eun added.

 

Jong-Kook almost widened his eyes, “Mwo?”

 

“Make sure you take a good care of her.” Jung-Eun chuckled a little and continued, “Even the blind knows that both of you like each other, Jong-Kook ah.”

 

He’s a smart person but when it comes to feeling, he might be a complete fool.

 

“You are not getting any younger. You are in the age to start a family.” A soft sigh escaped from her lips before she added, “We don’t live in the past, adeul ah. It was not your fault and you can always start again.”

 

“I don’t know if I can, eomma. I can’t let Ji-Hyo to end up like Soo-Young.” Jong-Kook smiled bitterly.

 

“No one is going to end up like Soo-Young. Look at me, you did a great job in protecting your mother, Jong-Kook ah.” Jung-Eun disagreed.

 

Jong-Kook bit his own lips as he thought of what to say. His mother might be right. He’s not the twenty years old high school boy who involved in the tragedy that took Choi Soo Young’s life anymore. He’s all grown up and is capable enough to protect people he loves.

 

“That woman does not like your son, eomma.” He chuckled a little remembering how that woman got mad after their kiss at the beach yesterday.

 

Jung-Eun shook her head disbelief, “Did you confess to her?”

 

“A ni. I just –it was complicated.” He stuttered.

 

“How complicated is it? Eomma knows that your reading disorder is yet to be cured before you yourself refuse to read. You never try because you do not want to. When you want something, you ought to earn it, adeul ah. So does your disorder. Eomma believes that you can read again only if you are willing to.” Jung-Eun analyzed her son’s confused expression and she knew that he’s confused with his own feelings.

 

Jong-Kook noticed that what his mom said and what Ji-Hyo said was in accordance. You can do everything only if you have the courage to.

 

“I don’t know if she’s worth fighting for, eomma.”

 

“Ask your heart, Jong-Kook ah. It never lies.”

 

 

Jong-Kook walked out from the beach house and noticed that she’s sitting by the pool deck alone with her eyes looking straight in front. He approached her and tapped her shoulder which resulted in her gasping in surprise.

 

“Kkamjakiyah!” She squealed.

 

Jong-Kook chuckled amusingly and took a seat beside her, “You were daydreaming.”

 

Ji-Hyo looked back at scenery in front of her which shows the view of the sea at night. The sound of the waves along with the cold breeze accompanied her night.

 

“Why aren’t you answering, Song Ji Hyo?” Jong-Kook added.

 

She couldn’t found a correct answer. It’s just that she couldn’t pour out everything that’s in her head nor her heart. Day by day it’s just getting more and more suffocated.

 

“Do you want to know something?” Said Jong-Kook out of blue when he realized that she’s not replying.

 

Ji-Hyo glanced at him, “What’s it?”

 

Jong-Kook’s gaze stopped at her hazel eyes, “Nobody knows this place.” He said.

 

“What do you mean?” She asked back, looking puzzled.

 

Jong-Kook let out a faint smile, “No one knows where my mother is staying, Song Ji Hyo. Not even Cha Tae Hyun.”

 

Her heart almost skipped a beat when she got to digest what he just said. What does he mean?

 

Noticing her confusion, he continued, “The only one who knows about my mother whereabouts is only Ha Dong Hoon and today, you are the second.”

 

“Why are you keeping her here? In this remote island?”

 

Jong-Kook took a deep breath before answering, “I have to keep her safe because when someone gets near me, I doubted their safety. Do you know what it means?” He paused for a while and added, “It means I trust you, Song Ji Hyo.”

 

He trusted her with one of the most important secrets in his life. His mother’s whereabouts is a secret that he swore to keep it with only people he trusts. It’s such a surprise that Cha Tae Hyun is not included.

 

However, she doesn’t feel anything great about gaining his trust. It’s just that another pressure is added that it’s frustrating. How will he react if he knows that she’s actually betraying him? It’s just that she forgot that it would be the best if they do not have feelings involved in the first place.

 

Ji-Hyo broke the eye contact because she felt like she couldn’t stare at that small eyes longer. She sighed before saying, “Do you know that you are such a complicated person? Trying to study you is like attempting to break the enigma code.”

 

“Then don’t.” Jong-Kook replied spontaneously.

 

“What do you mean?” Her forehead formed a perfect crease.

 

Jong-Kook smiled at her, “I never asked you to study me, Song Ji Hyo. Who I am and my real self, you will not want to know it.”

 

“What if I want to?”

 

Jong-Kook moved closer towards her, killing the distance between them which caused her to widened her eyes a little before avoiding his gaze, “You are blushing, Ji-Hyo yah.” He said through his smile.

 

Is she? How red is her cheeks now?

 

“Sajangnim.” She almost squealed when he kept on coming closer towards her.

 

Jong-Kook rolled his eyes slightly, “We are not working now. Stop calling me Sajangnim.” That sounded more like a complain.

 

“You are my boss.” She disagreed.

 

“It’s not like we know each other yesterday. Cha Tae Hyun calls my name when we’re not working because he’s my friend.” He continued.

 

“Am I your friend?”

 

It was such a ridiculous question for him. “Yah, Song Ji Hyo. You are so unbelievable.” Said Jong-Kook and he sounds a little irritated. They kissed twice. Once might be a mistake but it’s twice.

 

Ji-Hyo was a little agape that Jong-Kook kept on getting closer towards her until there’s no more room left for her to move. His gaze darted at hers which made her to held her breath for a couple second.

 

“Oppa.” Said Jong-Kook.

 

“Mwo?” She raised one of her eyebrows.

 

Jong-Kook rolled his eyes again, “That’s how you call a man who’s older than you. Oppa, say it.” He added as if he’s teaching a ki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter