A Sudden Trip

Enigma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter wonderland is a Christmas market which originally takes place in Hyde Park, London and is usually opened for six weeks from November to January every year. It offers an array of attraction, activities and entertainment for visitors of all ages. The place is usually swarming at night as it’s filled with thousands of sparkling lights where people enjoy either hot chocolate, mulled wine, Bavarian beer or the attractive shows.

“I don’t know there’s such beautiful place in Seoul.” Ji-Hyo couldn’t stop admiring her surrounding where the Christmas extravaganza takes place.

Jong-Kook grinned at her, “Winter wonderland is actually a landmark event in London and seems like they are borrowing the concept to open the festival here in Seoul.”

“Noona, what’s an eggnog?” Asked the six years old boy whose fingers are currently intertwined with Ji-Hyo.

Ji-Hyo smiled in confusion because in fact it’s the first time she heard such thing that she doesn’t have any idea what is that. “Eo?” There she is, showing her mong expression.

“Eggnog is an egg milk punch. It is a holiday treats that’s made of milk, cream, sugar, whipped egg whites and egg yolks.” Jong-Kook answered and asked the little boy, “Do dreamie wants to try it?”

Dream closed his mouth with one of his palm and showed his disgusted expression, “Ani. Why would we drink eggs and milk? Eww.”

Ji-Hyo chuckled in amusement at the little boy who she just met a couple hours ago.

“What about pretzels?” Jong-Kook offered.

“Yeay to pretzels! I want mine with sugar cinnamon.” Dream squealed in excitement.

However, another little boy who’s currently on Jong-Kook’s arms looked up at Jong-Kook with expectant gaze, “Samchon, So-Ul wants cotton candy.” He requested.

Jong-Kook caressed the little boy’s hair who’s circling his hands on his neck, “Keurae. Let’s go.”

Right after Jong-Kook’s Airlines exhibition ended, he received a call from Ha Dong Hoon, one of his fellow best friend who needs a hand to take care of his kids because Dong-Hoon ought to attend the funeral of his business partner. Jong-Kook just simply said yes which was a little unbelievable for Dong-Hoon.

“I never thought that you would want to help to take care of your friends’ kids.” Said Ji-Hyo when the boys are busy playing the arcade games.

Jong-Kook glanced at the woman who has been with him all day long, “Because I have you. I wouldn’t have say yes to Dong-Hoon if you are not here.”

That answer resulted in Ji-Hyo narrowing her brows, “You mean your previous personal assistant is not doing things like this?”

“Of course. Cha Tae Hyun has a family that he ought to take care and since your payment is considered very expensive, I think I have to maximize in using your services.” Jong-Kook answered easily along with a grin on his face.

Ji-Hyo rolled her eyes instead, “It has passed working hours. I have other part-time job to do at night and thanks to you that I have to look for someone to substitute me.”

“You mean being a waitress in Hipster Bar?” Jong-Kook asked because he could see it through her eyes about how desperate this woman is in earning money. “Isn’t the job I offered you enough?” He added.

Ji-Hyo bit her lips instead while thinking on what she should say next because the point now is not the money anymore but she’s assigned to spy on Kim Jong Kook and to bring Cha Seung Won his head. She started to wonder if they are related or something? Why would Cha Seung Won trade five billion Won for Kim Jong Kook?

“I will text Seok-Jin hyung and tell him that you are quitting your job today.” Said Jong-Kook when he didn’t hear any response from Ji-Hyo.

She stopped him by grabbing his arms once he’s about to stick his phone screen on to his ear, “Please don’t.” She sounded begging.

Jong-Kook looked at her and still a little confused, “Why? Why would you have to work so hard, Song Ji Hyo? What on earth are you struggling for?”

Again, there were a brief moment of silent between them until she dared to answer, “Seok-Jin oppa has been so generous towards me that sometimes he offers me extra job for more income and-“

“And I am not generous enough towards you?” Jong-Kook cut and uttered a sarcastic chuckle, “It’s a little humiliating for me, Song Ji Hyo.”

Damn it, she thought. How the hell should she explain to him that she doesn’t need that freaking five billion Won anymore to save her parents from Cha Seung Won?

“I don’t mean anything, Sajangnim. It’s just-“

“Just what?”

Ji-Hyo bit her lips again and looked at her surrounding while her head is thinking of a perfect answer.

“Stop working at the bar.” Jong-Kook said and this time he sounded demanding.

Ji-Hyo scoffed silently inside her heart. “Then what should I do for living?”

“You have me, Song Ji Hyo. Seol ma, the five billion Won is not for living?” Said Jong-Kook and it’s a check mate for her.

Jong-Kook carefully analyzed her facial expression. Her body is stiff and she kept on playing with the bracelet on her hand. That fidgeting is a little irritating for Jong-Kook because he knew that this girl is feeling anxious.

“Why can’t you answer?”

Ji-Hyo took a deep breath to calm herself down and took the courage to reply, “Working for you is just temporary. It’s just for three months and I know that I sounded like a gold digger to demand such big amount of money.”

“You can always ask, Song Ji Hyo. You can always ask me if I wanted to let you stay even after three months. Only if you can control more of your temper. I think we can cope well.”

Ji-Hyo shook her head gently and replied, “I won’t. I realize that I am such a trouble for you. Besides, I have nothing to offer to you. You really expect me to run errands for you for the rest of my life?” She laughed before continuing, “And now that I am being a babysitter as well.”

When Jong-Kook was about to reply her, the two boys came back to them and still squealing in excitement.

“Samchon, can we try the rides? The arcade games are getting boring.” Said Dream and clinging onto Jong-Kook.

“What about the ferris wheel?” Said Ji-Hyo to both boys.

The three years old boy, So-Ul grabbed Ji-Hyo’s hand with his little fingers, “Gaja, noona.” He said, showing his excitement.

Now that the four of them head towards the ferris wheel area with So-Ul holding on Ji-Hyo while Dream with Jong-Kook. It looked a little bit like a family outing but in fact, she’s just there as it’s part of her work.

“Noona, why the cotton candy vanished inside my mouth?” So-Ul asked suddenly.

Ji-Hyo was speechless for a while when she heard such question because in fact, she doesn’t know what’s the answer, “Because it’s magical.” She said and it earned a big laugh from Jong-Kook.

“Jinjja? Did the sorcerer casted a spell on it?” Dream asked when he heard Ji-Hyo’s answer.

“You’re so funny, Song Ji Hyo. Why would cotton candy be magical?” He is literally laughing his off.

Ji-Hyo glared at him as she felt a little embarrassed especially in front of the kids.

Jong-Kook looked at both kids, “It’s because the sugar in cotton candy is hygroscopic not magical.” Jong-Kook added in the midst of his laughter.

“And do you think a three years old boy could understand such scientific terms? Chamna.” She replied, not wanting to lose her arguments.

She might be right because why would either three years old and six years old boys understand the phenomenon of hygroscope. What they care is just the sweets.

“Sajangnim, perhaps are you really close with the boys’ parents?” She questioned again.

Jong-Kook nodded and answered, “I am their godfather after all.” A solid proof that he is very close to the boys’ parents.

“I see.”

The Ferris wheel ride was overwhelming for both boys and surprisingly for Ji-Hyo too. Jong-Kook silently analyzed the gaze of the woman who has been tagging with him all day long. A part of him is still curious why would she be so desperate over the big amount of money? To be honest, he’s just saying yes to help her because she was his banana milk girl.

On the other hand, Ji-Hyo was kept silent when she got to look at the night view from the top. It’s mesmerizing that her lips curled up into a smile and the smile vanished once the glimpse of Cha Seung Won’s trap flashed in her head.

Kim Jong Kook, he’s only one who could save her parents and she literally feel his generosity towards her that she has been thinking all day long on how on earth she should take his head to that ty loan shark. 

“Let’s go home.” Said Jong-Kook because the day is getting dark and Dong-Hoon has send him a text, saying that both him and his wife are home.

Ji-Hyo nodded and lead both kids to the SUV car. She took a seat at the back along with Dream and So-Ul on her laps which caused Jong-Kook to look at her disbelief.

“Yah, Song Ji Hyo. Who ask you to sit behind? I am not your driver.” He complained and pointed the passenger seat in front with his chin, giving her a sign to move.

She got no choice but to obey him and she ought to be very careful since So-Ul is already sleeping peacefully.

“Perhaps, do you have an enemy or someone who resent you?” Ji-Hyo dared herself to ask once they brought both kids back to their parents. It’s only Ji-Hyo and Jong-Kook left.

Jong-Kook’s brow furrowed at her question, “Everyone has enemy and I bet you too.”

He might be right that she asked, “Then, do you have anything to do with a loan shark?”

“Excuse me?” Jong-Kook turned to her, looking puzzled. “Perhaps, do you think I am the kind of person who take loans from the loan sharks? Chamna. You ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter